Options

Alice in Chains put dinosaur turds here

F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
edited June 2013 in Other Music
I'm pretty disappointed in the new AIC album. I couldn't even make it to the end (I only made it half way through song 9).
EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
East Troy 9/3/11
East Troy 9/4/11
Amsterdam 6/26/12
Amsterdam 6/27/12
Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
Worcester, MA 10/15/13
Worcester, MA 10/16/13
Hartford, CT 10/25/13
Seattle, WA 12/06/13
Denver, CO 10/22/14
Fenway 2016 #1
Fenway 2016 #2
Fenway 2018 #1
Fenway 2018 #2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    I haven't listened to it yet, but nice cover nonetheless. :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    Its not like Black Gives Way to Blue was that great either. Grunge changed my life, but honestly, Ive never seen Alice or Soundgarden live, and want to, but as far as new music goes, I'm not all that excited at all about hearing it. I still havent heard the new Soundgarden.
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    King Animal is a good album.

Black Gives Way To Blue is ok.

Not heard this one yet. Not particularly excited to either.
  • Options
    Its not like Black Gives Way to Blue was that great either. Grunge changed my life, but honestly, Ive never seen Alice or Soundgarden live, and want to, but as far as new music goes, I'm not all that excited at all about hearing it. I still havent heard the new Soundgarden.

Just got AIC yesterday so cant comment on that, but you HAVE to get king animal. It's right up there with their best work. no doubt it's the album of the year so far.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I haven't been able to make it through the entire thing, yet. Love Stone, but the rest of it kinda meanders. So far the last album offered more variety and had better hooks.

As for King Animal.....it's pretty good for a comeback album, but I think it's lunacy to say it can hang with their best work. There's nothing unlistenable, but there is nothing great either.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited May 2013
    King Animal is great!
    Slowly getting into the new AIC album, it's a grower for sure. really like the song, "voices." "scalpel" "Low Ceiling" "phantom limb" and "choke"
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    I've come to the conclusion that this is a quality album. It takes a few listens to digest and get into, which is the major difference to BGWTB, but there's some brilliant stuff on it. Especially loving Voices, Stone, Phantom Limb, and Lab Monkey which i really disliked the first few spins. A worthy addition to their catalogue.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    I should never read reviews of albums online....
    we had tix to see AIC at the Rave again, and 3 days before, I read the Spin review.... stated that it was very Nickelback-esque. That did it for me- skipped the show and too afraid to give it a listen. Love the Layne stuff too much to give the new stuff a fair chance. Its all pretty unfortunate i guess.
  • Options
    nickburrows14nickburrows14 Posts: 858
    I've not heard much post Layne AIC. Was a huge fan, saw them on the Dirt tour. I guess Layne's voice was too big a part of their sound for me. Will give it a listen in time. Not busting a gut after reading the comments on here.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    we had tix to see AIC at the Rave again, and 3 days before, I read the Spin review.... stated that it was very Nickelback-esque. That did it for me- skipped the show and too afraid to give it a listen. Love the Layne stuff too much to give the new stuff a fair chance. Its all pretty unfortunate i guess.

That's too bad, the Milwaukee show was great!
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    This is actually a very, very good album. Not much filler, IMO. I had an extremely negative reaction on first listen, but as others have said, it is a grower. There is a lot to appreciate about it, and the more I listen, the more I love this record. I even think it's better than the previous, and I really enjoy BGWTB. I understand some people just can't get past the absence of Layne, and I get that. But if you liked the previous album and/or enjoy Jerry's solo records, this album is up there. Give it a few listens, take it in the car, listen with good headphones and close your eyes. It's too good to give up after the first listen.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    This is actually a very, very good album. Not much filler, IMO. I had an extremely negative reaction on first listen, but as others have said, it is a grower. There is a lot to appreciate about it, and the more I listen, the more I love this record. I even think it's better than the previous, and I really enjoy BGWTB. I understand some people just can't get past the absence of Layne, and I get that. But if you liked the previous album and/or enjoy Jerry's solo records, this album is up there. Give it a few listens, take it in the car, listen with good headphones and close your eyes. It's too good to give up after the first listen.

as above
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462

I liked BGWTB and Jerry's solo stuff. I'll give this new one another shot before giving up on it completely.
    I really do WANT to like it.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I listened to it. Boring and uninspired. It's nothing but heavy JC riffs and constant hooks. There are a few good moments just ruined by boring choruses and "insert guitar solo here" parts. Every song has the same formula. It's like a better version of nickelback. Which isn't saying much. It felt like I was listening to a constant chorus for the entire album. Yawn....

Soundgardens new album was infinitely better. It has such great variety. Not only was king animal better than this dud, it was better than BGWTB. JC has turned into a one trick pony. Or maybe it's because I just hate metal.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679

Soundgardens new album was infinitely better. It has such great variety. Not only was king animal better than this dud, it was better than BGWTB. JC has turned into a one trick pony. Or maybe it's because I just hate metal.

To be fair King Animal is better than any of their peers' albums since about 1998, so it's not a very fair comparison.
  • Options
    I listened to it. Boring and uninspired. It's nothing but heavy JC riffs and constant hooks. There are a few good moments just ruined by boring choruses and "insert guitar solo here" parts. Every song has the same formula. It felt like I was listening to a constant chorus for the entire album. Yawn....

+ 1

Soundgarden - King Animal: 8 / 10

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue: 7 / 10

Alice In Chains - Devil Put Dinosaurs Here: 3 / 10
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    If anything, on my first listen I thought it was actually lacking the vocal hooks and choruses that I've come to expect from AIC. That and the homogeneous sound of the songs really threw me off.

However, like a lot of people, on subsequent listens I've discovered there's a lot to like on this one. It's not among their best work, but it's not a bad album by any means.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    EdLaw wrote:
    If anything, on my first listen I thought it was actually lacking the vocal hooks and choruses that I've come to expect from AIC. That and the homogeneous sound of the songs really threw me off.

However, like a lot of people, on subsequent listens I've discovered there's a lot to like on this one. It's not among their best work, but it's not a bad album by any means.

Agreed! It's missing Layne's howls!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    EdLaw wrote:

Thats my main issue. Its not really AIC. We had this discussion about the Led Zep reunion. is it really Led Zep without Bonzo? Black Gives Way, was mediocre. It didnt have a Nutshell. Personally I couldnt be less excited about most of the 90's bands reforming. Id much rather just see Cornell solo, or Cantrell solo. In fact, Id argue Cantrells solo stuff is way more compelling than the 2 most recent AIC band albums.
  • Options
    I also think the subjects have changed. AIC was compelling and stunning because they delved into the dark side. You had an insight into this guy who was in the downward spiral, descending into heroin addiction and sadness and depression. Cantrells solo stuff does this expertly as well. Black Gives Way and Dinosaur arent about that. No one in the band is battling heroin addiction. Im sure the death of Layne still lingers and stings for the band, as well as Mike's death. But they really havent written about it in a way thats as engrossing and powerful as the stuff on Dirt was.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    EdLaw wrote:

FYI: Layne is dead. This is not the same AIC you listened to in 1993.
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    EdLaw wrote:

It's not that it's missing Layne - I love Black Gives Way To Blue, I think it's almost as good as anything they've put out. Will and Jerry do a stellar job, but I don't find the vocal melodies on this one grabbing me as instantly as on their previous records. Not necessarily a bad thing - some of my favourite songs and albums have grown on me over time - but it did sound like something was missing, initially.

There are great moments on there, though. The outro of Breath On A Window knocked me sideways, it's so good.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Its a very good album. Allow it to grow on you, it will. The only disappointment with it is that the vinyl version is so damn expensive! Over $50 for a double pic disc. :fp:
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    Yeah definitely a grower. Liking it more with each listen but still probably my least fab AIC album.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Stone

New look! :o What do you think? :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JimNastics wrote:
    To be fair King Animal is better than any of their peers' albums since about 1998, so it's not a very fair comparison.

Sorry, but no. Isn't close to Binaural. And is it really a fair comparison? SG's had a long time to come up with the KA material and while it's good for a comeback album, it's still not a great album. AIC is missing a pretty big piece of the puzzle. PJ has only put out one album clearly worse than King Animal and they've put out albums pretty consistently for a band that's been at it for 20 years. That's all if you're only talking about the big 4 Seattle bands and not including other bands that rose in the early 90s, like Tool.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Pap wrote:

Soundgarden - King Animal: 8 / 10

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue: 7 / 10

Alice In Chains - Devil Put Dinosaurs Here: 3 / 10

I'd agree with this I think. The new AIC doesn't sound particularly bad. It's just nothing new and it gets boring very quickly. I'm not disappointed though as I wasn't really expecting anything great. Soundgarden have shown that there can be a second time around successfully but it's easier when you can do it with the same line-up that produced their best work to be fair to AIC.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    unless it somehow grows on me, and for that to happen I'd have to keep listening to it, this is going to be their first release I didn't purchase.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,325
    I've heard a few say the aic show at the rave was way better then the soundgarden show at the rave. Haven't heard this new record yet but BGWTB is in my opinion their best album.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited June 2013
    I've learned to never base an album on internet/ paper reviews. I have to hear it for myself. This album does not sound like Nickleback. It's a grower alblum and sure at first listen sounds like a Jerry solo record- on first listen. However, it grows on you with each listen: I think the reception with BGWTB went so well, they didn't feel as pressured to make an album that appealed to the masses, I think that was the goal with BGWTB. That album to me was a transitional album after a very successful "test the waters" couple of tours with the band with Will on Vocals. BGWTB held a positive enough reception, that I think the band is now trying to do what they want, instead of appealing to the masses. TDPDH is a solid album, not as easy to digest as BGWTB, But it signify's the point of moving on with overall positive perception from the majority. People can think what they want: agrree,dissagree; However, Even Layne's mom gave her blessing to continue the band, and remember, for the band, this was not an over night decision. Just my 2cents.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12