Options

IYO, Who is the 2nd best guitar player in the band?

MASMAS Posts: 628
edited May 2013 in The Porch
Ed has greatly improved over the years but Stone is such a steady groove....Not sure....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Stone by a country mile.

And many people might answer this question with Mike.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    None of them are very good. Otherwise they wouldn't be left off all of those greatest guitarist lists... ;)
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    mike mccready
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Mike Gossard. :lol:

Nobody can touch that Stone McCready!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Stone by a country mile.

We sure would.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    mike mccready

Ed is really a long way behind either of them.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    mike mccready

yes.

the fact that op even started this thread makes me angry and leads me to believe that he has never picked up any sort of musical instrument in his life.

even someone who has held a kazoo in their hands once would never, ever even think about putting ed in the same class as stone or mike
  • Options
    The last bunch of Ed solo shows really showcased his playing and its def gotten ALOT better...
    But I guess Stone is just technically better. However Stone is not the player Mike is....
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Levon helm
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    MAS wrote:
    The last bunch of Ed solo shows really showcased his playing and its def gotten ALOT better...
    But I guess Stone is just technically better. However Stone is not the player Mike is....

you're right. he's far more interesting to listen to.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    mike mccready

yes.

the fact that op even started this thread makes me angry and leads me to believe that he has never picked up any sort of musical instrument in his life.

even someone who has held a kazoo in their hands once would never, ever even think about putting ed in the same class as stone or mike

FYI I'll have you know that not only am classically trained in the kazoo, I am proficient in the recorder, and studied the spoons abroad under Sir. Spoon Man. My reputation is as flawless as my playing. So please don't get angry, I'll send you one of my CD's no charge.....
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    1. Stone
    2. Mike
    3. Jeff
    4. Matt
    5. Ed ;)
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I love little things Stone does, he is the one giving the depth and perspective...
    boyo79 wrote:
    1. Stone
    2. Mike
    3. Jeff
    4. Matt
    5. Ed ;)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    MAS wrote:

Ed's still stick to alot of open chords and really basic stuff. He's probably gotten better, but it's still not advanced guitar playing.

I think think you're confusing speed with technical ability. Mike can play fast and at times with great emotion, but Stone plays much more interesting chord voicings, plays in various alternate tunings and has a much more personal style compared to Mike. Mike's a great lead player, but Stone has a much deeper grasp of the instrument overall.
  • Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Stone by a country mile.

We sure would.

Just to clarify - I say Stone has Ed beat by a mile, in response to the original question. Then also suggest that Mike may actually be the 2nd best guitarist in the band, as many others may say.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    boyo79 wrote:
    1. Stone
    2. Mike
    3. Jeff
    4. Matt
    5. Boom
    6. Ed ;)

fixed :)
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    MAS wrote:

Ed's still stick to alot of open chords and really basic stuff. He's probably gotten better, but it's still not advanced guitar playing.

I think think you're confusing speed with technical ability. Mike can play fast and at times with great emotion, but Stone plays much more interesting chord voicings, plays in various alternate tunings and has a much more personal style compared to Mike. Mike's a great lead player, but Stone has a much deeper grasp of the instrument overall.

Very interesting perspective...So if you were starting ur own band and could "draft" only one of them to join you would pick Stone?
  • Options
    MAS wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    MAS wrote:

Very interesting perspective...So if you were starting ur own band and could "draft" only one of them to join you would pick Stone?

anyone would. he's the best songwriter in the band and his leads are interesting.

its like asking if you'd rather be in a band with johnny marr or yngwie malmseetn