Nine Inch Nails Discography Help

PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
edited May 2013 in Other Music
Hey guys, I am new to NiN stuff, there are a ton of releases and I am having a hell of a time figuring out what to get and what to pass on. I am looking for studio releases and not the remix albums. So far I have:
Pretty Hate Machine
Broken
The Downward Spiral
The Fragile
Still
With Teeth
Year Zero
The Slip

What else should I pick up that isnt live or a remix album? I have the soundtracks he did with Atticus Ross and HTDA. Thoughts from the hardcore NiN fans?
Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Nine Inch Nails also did Ghosts I-IV but that is all instrumental and more like Trent and Atticus' soundtrack work and not so much nails stuff.

Personally, I've always been a big fan of TDS and The Fargile. Though The "new" NIN (Last 3 albums on your list) certainly do not disappoint.

I don't consider Still an album as it's just a companion to All That Could Have Been.I'm not o ne for remixes either but I would definitely look into the b-sides to TDS as there are a few good tracks.

Also, there was a NINJA sampler (free) from 2009 with a pair of great NIN tracks on it. Also, The Perfect Drug is an absolutely killer non-album track.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Thanks! I do have Ghosts which is pretty cool stuff.
    Are the b-sides for TDS further down the spiral?

Still has some stuff that was intended for the OST for One Hour Photo as well as some stripped down live stuff. Its a great listen.

Its interesting about the perfect drug, Trent said that he hates that song and wouldnt even put it in his top 100! Its not a bad tune though.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    They're all really great in my opinion

You did well
  • I think you actually have everything from NIN that is not live or a remix. Now we wait and see when their U.S. Arena Tour will be announced and whether they will come to your city as well as if they will actually come to Canada or not.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    "Further Down the Spiral" was a good album.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Grab the live album "And All That Could Have Been" for some particularly excellent versions of Head like a Hole and Sin. Head Like a Hole is so much more aggressive when played live than it was on the PHM studio version.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    If you don't have Woodstock '94 (there are only a handful of songs on there that are good) the version of "Happiness In Slavery" is really awesome. It's actually what got me into NIN. I don't think I'd heard anything else by them prior to that, and within a month I had most of the discography to date at the time. There's a pretty good bootleg of their set too.

Here's the song from the video of the show. I don't think they ever made a DVD, but I have the old VHS. NIN and Primus were really the only reason to own it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g86KUHGlOg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    If you don't have Woodstock '94 (there are only a handful of songs on there that are good) the version of "Happiness In Slavery" is really awesome. It's actually what got me into NIN. I don't think I'd heard anything else by them prior to that, and within a month I had most of the discography to date at the time. There's a pretty good bootleg of their set too.

Here's the song from the video of the show. I don't think they ever made a DVD, but I have the old VHS. NIN and Primus were really the only reason to own it.

Woodstock '94 was fucking nuts. Great live show
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Woodstock '94 was fucking nuts. Great live show

The whole thing or NIN's set? I wasn't that impressed with the concert video or album save for NIN and Primus. There were some other songs by bands I like, but they were either songs I wasn't crazy about or they were just played exactly like the album and no point to listen to the Woodstock version unless you thought the studio version needed more crowd noise. I love the NIN bootleg of the show though. I always wondered watching the video how the rest of the show went, by the time they got to Happiness In Slavery the band and stage looked like a war zone. Trent doesn't look like he got hit by mud, he looks like he's been swimming in it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    edited May 2013
    They have 1 officially released video called Closure. For reasons that I am assuming are label related they were never rereleased onto DVD. There is also an unreleased video for the Broken album. Warning, both videos are VERY graphic with sex and violence. The Broken video got NIN investigated by the FBI for some footage that someone found. The story I read is that a camera was attached to a balloon for a camera angle and the balloon blew away. The footage on the camera had some scenes of what looked like a "snuff film" and FBI needed to verify people were alive or something.

Good Guy Trent posted a link years ago to a pirate bay account that I like to believe is his. You can download them there and also get some other very quality recordings. NIN with Peter Murphy and TV On the Radio are really excellent. Link - http://thepiratebay.sx/user/seed0/

If you really get into NIN you will not be happy with just the main studio albums. The albums are released with a Halo # with the # representing the release order of everything they have. I actually renamed the NIN albums in itunes to be "Halo 02 Pretty Hate Machine" so that itunes keeps them all in the correct order by name. I guess I am just that OCD about them.

If you are just getting into music like NIN then I would suggest checking out Stabbing Westward too. They have a very similar sound since both bands were born from a band called Exotic Birds (1985) which had members of NIN and SW in it until they split. Here is a fun video a news station did on how musicians are using synthesizers and computers in music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYBx5NJULY
    Post edited by lephty on
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    ^ Funny you mention the Pirate Bay account and Halo's in the same post. You'll notice the users account name is "seed0" and everything NIN has released digitally without a "Halo" number has been a "seed" number.

Trent is such a genius.
    We've all seen the Broken snuff video, correct? :twisted:
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    We've all seen the Broken snuff video, correct? :twisted:

I've heard of it.
    I just finally watched it for the first time.
    By the far most brutally disturbing video I have ever seen!
    Holy Fuck!!! :shock: Fucking Crazy shit....... :lol:

Oh that Reznor..... :twisted:
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    watch BESIDE YOU IN TIME -- their live dvd from the with teeth tour. i was a fan of them before then, but that solidified my passion.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    "Further Down the Spiral" was a good album.

It's my fave NIN album.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Ignoring the fact that you asked for non-remix albums:

Fixed

some of my favorite NIN stuff.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    PSUS2H wrote:
    Its interesting about the perfect drug, Trent said that he hates that song and wouldnt even put it in his top 100! Its not a bad tune though.

Isn't that cause it's about Courtney Love?! I don't care what he thinks, I love it! :D
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    check out the pre-broken suck by pigface.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/

Trent has been posting a lot of stuff to this account. In a way he reminds me of how open he wants a band to be, so he gives fans the most insight to what hes up to and some of the behind the scenes stuff. He does not seem to care if people pirate his stuff, and he even made the slip free for download to say thanks to his fans. http://theslip.nin.com 320kpbs too!

Thanks for all the info, now I am building up my Manson collection, just three to go Portrait, Holy Wood, and the High End of Low!
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    BinFrog wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that you asked for non-remix albums:

Fixed

some of my favorite NIN stuff.
    Agreed. It's the remix album for Broken, but it doesn't overstay its welcome or bore you with nine remixes of the same song, like some of those projects do.