Options

Anyone cut their own sim card?

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi all,

I am heading overseas in a couple of months and found a company who do really good rates as they have negotiated with local networks overseas and have a good rate. No where near as expensive as global roaming using my provider.

Unfortunately, they don't do a nano sim for my iphone 5. Anyway, people say you can cut them, but does it work? I think I will head down this route, I just dont want to fuck it up/waste my time..

Thanks all.
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    And there are things advertised that will do the job. I guess I am just a skeptic on it.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    Never heard of cutting a sim card before. Have you considered getting a international sim card? I prefer to use them when I travel.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    I've cut a sim card for my step-daughter. It worked....I think? The only reason I say that is because she couldn't get the account setup, but I think that had more to do with the network and there restrictions on younger people having plans. Yes even pay as you go plans.

Anyway, what I did was place the micro-sim from the iPhone on top of the normal one and put light cuts into it with a excato knife. Then I set aside the micro-sim and proceeded to cut through the sim fully. It fit, and as I said, as far as I know it worked just fine to connect to the network.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    I've cut a sim card for my step-daughter. It worked....I think? The only reason I say that is because she couldn't get the account setup, but I think that had more to do with the network and there restrictions on younger people having plans. Yes even pay as you go plans.

Anyway, what I did was place the micro-sim from the iPhone on top of the normal one and put light cuts into it with a excato knife. Then I set aside the micro-sim and proceeded to cut through the sim fully. It fit, and as I said, as far as I know it worked just fine to connect to the network.
    I dont give a rats ass....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:

No one cares Speedy :fp:

:lol:
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Hows life treating you?
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Hows life treating you?

Good actually. The ocean/beach is only a 5 minute walk out my door. Yet to try surfing, but its on my list. Unless of course a shark decides to bite my ass! :lol:

Sorry to highjack your thread pjfan31. :oops:
  • Options
    Fuck it, I like hijacking threads.
    Especially since I dont know what the fuck a sim card is!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Fuck it, I like hijacking threads.
    Especially since I dont know what the fuck a sim card is!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's a card that's not really a card.

it just simulates a card.

and which card is the joker of spades, by the way
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Hi all,

I am heading overseas in a couple of months and found a company who do really good rates as they have negotiated with local networks overseas and have a good rate. No where near as expensive as global roaming using my provider.

Unfortunately, they don't do a nano sim for my iphone 5. Anyway, people say you can cut them, but does it work? I think I will head down this route, I just dont want to fuck it up/waste my time..

Thanks all.

Take your sim to your local cell provider. Make a copy of it. takes 5 minutes.

Then if you do Fruck up. You have a spare.