Options

I just did my taxes and I'm feeling.......

13»

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    smarchee wrote:
    19XX refund

8-)

Don't you mean 101 new vinyl records refund?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    I got a good refund (but not as good as last year), but the thing that irritated me the most was that I got taxed on last year's state refund! WTF!?
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:
    19XX refund

8-)

Don't you mean 101 new vinyl records refund?

yeah let's be honest here, my refund will meet the record store :lol:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Ah....the joys of having to do taxes....

I moved to Australia in 2011, and while I knew I had to file a tax return every year for the US even though I no longer live there or earn American money....

Needless to say I haven't done mine yet this year because the system is stupid. My problem is this, I got married in 2012 in Australia to an Australian. So when it comes time to file a return I want to say Married filing separately, but apparently I need to proved a SSN (which of course my wife doesn't have) or a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)

Apparently I can't just write in that my wife is a non-resident alien of America. So I start trying to find out what I need to do to get a ITIN for my wife, and well....I keep reading how there are 11 different proof of identity options, but I still can't find the actual list of them. Let alone that I can't do this online and will have to mail all this to I think...Philly? I can't remember. Let alone the fact that my wife has never lived in America nor do we have any current plans of living in America, yet apparently she needs one.

The one good thing in my favor is that I actually get an automatic extension until June 15th to file as I am living abroad. I suppose I should get around to calling the local US Consulate here in Perth and finding out who I can talk to so I can get this figured out.

Unless of course anyone here is a CPA with knowledge of taxes for US Citizens living abroad.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Ah....the joys of having to do taxes....

I moved to Australia in 2011, and while I knew I had to file a tax return every year for the US even though I no longer live there or earn American money....

Needless to say I haven't done mine yet this year because the system is stupid. My problem is this, I got married in 2012 in Australia to an Australian. So when it comes time to file a return I want to say Married filing separately, but apparently I need to proved a SSN (which of course my wife doesn't have) or a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)

Apparently I can't just write in that my wife is a non-resident alien of America. So I start trying to find out what I need to do to get a ITIN for my wife, and well....I keep reading how there are 11 different proof of identity options, but I still can't find the actual list of them. Let alone that I can't do this online and will have to mail all this to I think...Philly? I can't remember. Let alone the fact that my wife has never lived in America nor do we have any current plans of living in America, yet apparently she needs one.

The one good thing in my favor is that I actually get an automatic extension until June 15th to file as I am living abroad. I suppose I should get around to calling the local US Consulate here in Perth and finding out who I can talk to so I can get this figured out.

Unless of course anyone here is a CPA with knowledge of taxes for US Citizens living abroad.

They had a big write up in the local newspaper last year that even if you don't earn income in the US and are living abroad you still must file a tax return ... We are in a Canadian border area ... Needless to say this sent many Americans like yourself into a panic, apparently many did not know they had to file and had been living here for years.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I guess my dad submitted them last week :fp:

I should have just done them myself :fp:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I guess my dad submitted them last week :fp:

I should have just done them myself :fp:
    I was pretty happy letting my dad do them for me forever, so finally when I was maybe 24 he'd finally had enough and took me out for lunch, and as a surprise laid it all out in front of me in the restaurant and made me do it myself right there while he drank beer, and answering any questions that I had. :lol: I've done them ever since. :lol: Thanks dad. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata