Options

uncomfortable..

13»

Comments

• Options
    Oceans 98 wrote:
    He may have insulted her a little bit but with Eddie being a male who supports many aspects of feminism I'm sure it was his way of telling that girl to show a little respect for herself by embarrassing her a little. I bet she hasn't pulled her top off since.

That's the biggest problem with this all.
    Sure Eddie was drunk/there was a weird vibe/doesn't like it when he sees boobs --- whatever, I understand and I'm sure things got out of hand.
    But he was completely wrong in this situation, handling it terribly - making a weak point about voting that just rings hollow in my ears-
    and justifications along the lines that this girl "needs to respect herself" are truly offensive -

Who is anyone to tell her how she needs to "respect herself"?
    And why is female self-respect equated with keeping your clothes on ??
    The fact that she takes off her top and all of a sudden it's okay to make derisive statements about her education, political opinions and self-respect??? -- insulting and embarrassing her in front of thousands of people?? -- that's wrong - and IMO, not a feminist thing to do, at all.

Very awkward, cringe-worthy and damn right offensive.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I was there. It was awkward. Hearing a rock star on stage telling a girl that took her shirt off that she should get out and vote instead was one of the lamest things I've ever heard. Par for the course for that show though. Dead crowd. Phoned in performance by the band. And a shitty Eddie rant fit right in. That all being said, how many times do we need to rehash this? It was lame...but whatever.
    Disagree on the performance angle. There were several great performances of songs that night...amongst them TMW, Thin Air and State of Love.
    I thought it was a decent show.

Edit: How did I forget Immortality
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Oceans 98 wrote:
    He may have insulted her a little bit but with Eddie being a male who supports many aspects of feminism I'm sure it was his way of telling that girl to show a little respect for herself by embarrassing her a little. I bet she hasn't pulled her top off since.

Sure Eddie was drunk/there was a weird vibe/doesn't like it when he sees boobs --- whatever, I understand and I'm sure things got out of hand.
    But he was completely wrong in this situation, handling it terribly - making a weak point about voting that just rings hollow in my ears-
    and justifications along the lines that this girl "needs to respect herself" are truly offensive -

The fact that she takes off her top and all of a sudden it's okay to make derisive statements about her education, political opinions and self-respect??? -- insulting and embarrassing her in front of thousands of people?? -- that's wrong - and IMO, not a feminist thing to do, at all.

no matter what eddie try to do or has in his mind to do the whole sound and was exactly as you said..
    he was completely wrong in this situation, handling it terribly
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    I think it's hilarious. That girl must have been acting like a huge fucking annoying idiot for him to do that, so I don't think it's mean when the person deserves it! Maybe it taught her a lesson!
    Ed's not fucking Jesus. He's got a temper, and has never been afraid to express it. I think it's bizarre that some people are so flabbergasted by EV acting like a normal human being in the face of someone being a complete moron and directing it at him. He'd had enough of her stupid bullshit while he was up there trying to perform. I'm glad he let her have it! No, it wasn't polite, but so fucking what???? Yeah it's awkward, but so fucking what?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    i like that fire. that's the one thing missing from the band these days.

misguided or not, there was some real passion and anger on the riot act tour and it came out in the music.

we'll never hear anther version of any song they'll ever play played with the kind of FIRE that know your rights in uniondale was played with.

cringe all you want to, but i like the tension....its rock n roll
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    ...its rock n roll
    Yep,and flashing tits is a part of it.. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,839
    A woman at a rock concert?! They'll be getting the vote next...
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    ...its rock n roll
    Yep,and flashing tits is a part of it.. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    There was obviously more to it than her just flashing her tits once. Clearly she wouldn't lay off (and must have been pretty nasty about it), which means she was trying to get a reaction from him. It worked! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    I was there. It was awkward. Hearing a rock star on stage telling a girl that took her shirt off that she should get out and vote instead was one of the lamest things I've ever heard. Par for the course for that show though. Dead crowd. Phoned in performance by the band. And a shitty Eddie rant fit right in. That all being said, how many times do we need to rehash this? It was lame...but whatever.
    Disagree on the performance angle. There were several great performances of songs that night...amongst them TMW, Thin Air and State of Love.

Well I guess I really meant the length of the show. Yeah the performance was fine. Deep and Get Right were highlights for me. The band seemed a little burnt out though and frankly...so was I. They had just played those epic Boston and NY shows throughout the week as well as two at Camden. I was at the NY and Camden shows that week. Those 5 shows in like 7 days were my most ever in a short span (not counting the 4 night stand at the Spectrum) and I think by time Eddie went on his mosquito bites rant, I was a little Pearl Jammed out for one week. I think he was too.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Well I guess I really meant the length of the show. Yeah the performance was fine. Deep and Get Right were highlights for me. The band seemed a little burnt out though and frankly...so was I. They had just played those epic Boston and NY shows throughout the week as well as two at Camden. I was at the NY and Camden shows that week as well as Hershey. Those 5 shows in like 7 days were my most ever in a short span (not counting the 4 night stand at the Spectrum) and I think by time Eddie went on his mosquito bites rant, I was a little Pearl Jammed out for one week. I think he was too.
    Yeah, I hear ya.
    3 Factors put a lil damper on that show.
    The venue sucked.
    The crowd wasnt full+ people were either tired or drunk
    The band was tired/Ed Hoarse.

Outside of that, I thought the setlist was great. It was a short show, but I thought they rolled tight.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Eraserhead wrote:
    A woman at a rock concert?! They'll be getting the vote next...
    :lol: you always post smart comments!!
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Ed shits
    And it stinks
    He's real
    Join the club
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Inappropriate? Are you a grade school teacher? Or just one of these modern day people whose offended by everything?
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Oh why stir this up again? Its almost 10 years ago. From what I remember from the discussion at that time on the board, the girl had been flashing him all night, and he just finally had enough.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    StephaineStephaine Posts: 62
    I'm okay with it.. in fact, I support it. They're the band. Even though you paid, you are a guest and the person next to you is your neighbor. It gets annoying when you're scanning the crowd and you're repeatedly drawn to a person because they're flashing. And the person next to you, do they want to see it either? Regardless of the music being played, it isn't an excuse to flash, splash, or t-bag your neighbor. This specific topic was addressed by Ed in an interview long, long ago. Chill, smile, and keep it bagged.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Stephaine wrote:
    I'm okay with it.. in fact, I support it. They're the band. Even though you paid, you are a guest and the person next to you is your neighbor. It gets annoying when you're scanning the crowd and you're repeatedly drawn to a person because they're flashing. And the person next to you, do they want to see it either? Regardless of the music being played, it isn't an excuse to flash, splash, or t-bag your neighbor. This specific topic was addressed by Ed in an interview long, long ago. Chill, smile, and keep it bagged.

Seriously? Ed discussed PJ fans getting t-bagged at a PJ show? :fp:
  • Options
    I thought t-bagging only happend on Halo :lol:
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Well! I brought this up because it always stuck out in my mind. My point is that part of what makes PJ great is their edge and not being afraid to make people uncomfortable. Whether he's talking politics or climbing rafters, Eddie engages people and isn't afraid of doing or saying the "wrong" thing. My opinion on his comments at this show is that he crossed a line and even he's probably not proud of it. People are entitled to say they find something offensive or not. The fact that we all have varying opinions about the Red Mosquito Rant :D is why it's interesting. I would also like to defend the people who've said they were offended, and were then accused of being too sensitive. I'm not easily offended, but I can at least understand why someone might be. A grown man lecturing a young woman in front of thousands of people and then talk about shitting on little girls heads! Anyway, I hope Ed never loses his edge, but I also hope he never poops on anyone. :nono: :lol:
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    TheGhost wrote:
    Well! I brought this up because it always stuck out in my mind. My point is that part of what makes PJ great is their edge and not being afraid to make people uncomfortable. Whether he's talking politics or climbing rafters, Eddie engages people and isn't afraid of doing or saying the "wrong" thing. My opinion on his comments at this show is that he crossed a line and even he's probably not proud of it. People are entitled to say they find something offensive or not. The fact that we all have varying opinions about the Red Mosquito Rant :D is why it's interesting. I would also like to defend the people who've said they were offended, and were then accused of being too sensitive. I'm not easily offended, but I can at least understand why someone might be. A grown man lecturing a young woman in front of thousands of people and then talk about shitting on little girls heads! Anyway, I hope Ed never loses his edge, but I also hope he never poops on anyone. :nono: :lol:

Exactly do what you need and feel but stop,at the pooping. Save it for the bowl or woods.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    I thought the pooping comment was the best part. What, no one appreciates a good scat joke anymore?? :lol:
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I thought the pooping comment was the best part. What, no one appreciates a good scat joke anymore?? :lol:

I guess since I work with children it isn't as funny...though I fully know he was saying it out of frustration and as a total joke...

Sadly I know how some parents/guardians...nothing this extreme but certainly shitty parents.
    Though it's fine if others find it funny. :) I'm not offended just eh...not funny for me.

Now other scat jokes...bring them on!!!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    I work with children too and have four myself.....I was at the show and it really wasn't a big deal. Ed said a stupid thing, it was ten years ago, why bring it up? It was a mistake, a dumb one at that but not really anything to write home about.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I need to shit
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Soft-Serve-Ice-Cream-Machine-Rental-Michigan.jpg
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I need to shit
    Now you just need to find a head to shit upon.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    BTW Hershey 03 has one of my favorite little Ed lines ever... during the intro to Last Exit "Let's go.... fuck this fuckin' Chocolate Factory..."
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    edited April 2013
    There is a difference between equality and taking your top off in a sexual nature. In this case it was obviously sexual. He may have been out of line, but Eddie's not a saint and she should have known better to do it in front of him. I believe Eddie was also dating his current wife at the time. I know my wife would get a little pissed if some chick was constantly showing me her boobs at work. Eddie may have also been reacting to that influence as well.
    Oceans 98 wrote:

Post edited by Oceans 98 on
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    I agree
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think it's hilarious. That girl must have been acting like a huge fucking annoying idiot for him to do that, so I don't think it's mean when the person deserves it! Maybe it taught her a lesson!
    Ed's not fucking Jesus. He's got a temper, and has never been afraid to express it. I think it's bizarre that some people are so flabbergasted by EV acting like a normal human being in the face of someone being a complete moron and directing it at him. He'd had enough of her stupid bullshit while he was up there trying to perform. I'm glad he let her have it! No, it wasn't polite, but so fucking what???? Yeah it's awkward, but so fucking what?
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22