***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Y'all know the good feeling of growing you own food and vegetables ...

Cav and I spent the afternoon turning up the soil at our new house's garden (by the way, I've never seen soil THAT dark and rich, I think only rich, dark chocolate can compare....). Currently, we have started seeds in indoor greenhouses for yellow tomatoes, grape tomatoes, bell peppers, and lavender. We also started a herb garden with lemon basil basil, parsley, chives, cat grass, and we bought a plant of gooseberries and our neighbour gave us a raspberry plant.

So what are you growing this year and can you share any gardener tips?

Happy growing :wave:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I can't wait for the tomatoes!! fresh tomatoes are soooo good!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I know there's a huge gardening thread somewhere here in the AET...
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    soooo.. this is our huge gardening thread on the aet..

Our tomatoes are bigger, our soil is rich and darker.. but thanks for the tip.. happy gardening
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    The lights kind of messed with the camera...
    d722cc716334__1364710530000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Close up...
    2ed094f4a1d5__1364710551000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    #FHP
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Beans, tomatoes, silverbeet(swiss chard?), courgette(zucchini) from my garden in my dinner tonight. :)

I also currently have passionfruit, beetroot, pumpkins, feijoas growing at the moment & many, many herbs(basil, 2 types oregano, 3 types thyme, parsley, rosemary.....).
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    I want to try a vertical garden this year ....looks pretty

http://www.gardeningwithkids.org/skyscr ... arden.html

I just saw this today.....The Aquaponics garden what a great teaching tool!

http://store.backtotheroots.com/Home_Aq ... ponics.htm

Also excitedly waiting for a pink lemon tree....

Envy those of you who have had success with pumpkins... Those were my epic fail :lol:
    Still fun to try
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    paging meg8686
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    bionicamy wrote:
    I want to try a vertical garden this year ....looks pretty

http://www.gardeningwithkids.org/skyscr ... arden.html

Love this idea - think I'll give it a try this summer!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i started winter gardening with heirloom seeds last month. i've added 20 more to what's shown.
    i have no idea if it will work. i might have just wasted a lot of time and money.

207310_314430571992826_1678162158_n.jpg
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    shortstack wrote:
    i started winter gardening last month. i've added 20 more to what's shown.
    i have no idea if it will work. i might have just wasted a lot of time and money.

207310_314430571992826_1678162158_n.jpg

What is that? :think:

And I dig the vertical garden! I would try that too if we had our own house :thumbup:

We are having a big barn next to our garen and we suspect that there might be mice ... We've read about these ultrasound thingies that you stick in the soil to shoo them away. Does anybody know if that actually works?
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    What is that? :think:

they're little greenhouses you start in the winter
    http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/ ... ing-101-6/
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I would recommend cucumbers to make pickles or salad with....Potatoes are fun to grow also.. Be careful with zucchini, pumpkins, squash.. they have a tendency to really spread quick and choke out your more vulnerable plants...happy gardening..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
    Just planted some broccoli seedlings today + broccoli, beetroot & salad seeds. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=95258&hilit=let%27s+talk+dirt

This weekend I was thinking about posting some pics here. :think:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    So what are you growing this year and can you share any gardener tips?

16 tomato plants and 6 peppers in the ground yesterday. YIPPEE!

Using this delicious cocktail, the results are simply amazing.

025849000820lg.jpg

prod002531_lg.jpg

Happy Planting!

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I dug up and moved our huge hydrangea, and I think that fucker is dying. Oh well, either way it's out of the way.

I've also gotta dig up a Japanese maple. I don't know what to do with the sumbitch, though. I only know that I don't want it in our garden anymore. We already have one large Japanese maple and the smaller one is just overkill and takes up space where my babygirl could be playing. Anyone in the NYC area want a small you-haul-it Japanese maple?

My babygirl planted some sweet basil. I hope that does OK for her.

My wife planted some sunflowers for phytoremediation purposes, but a squirrel or bird ate all the seeds, so it looks like she's going to have to start those inside.

My wife also got some gladiolus bulbs, but I don't think she's planted those yet.

I think that's about it for our garden so far.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The weather has been fantastic this week, and I had to hold myself back from putting all the baby plants into soil. Michigan is said to have some unpredictable weather and it is safest to plant after Mother's day, so we will wait till then. In the meantime, we have added some more tomato plants, cucumber, okra, zucchini and radishes as a back up in case our little ones don't get going properly. On the porch I am growing Kapuzinerkresse (Don't know the English term, and haven't seen seeds for them over here. My Mom graciously sent me a bunch of bags :) )in pots. These plants belong to the cress family. They look very pretty and bloom in all kinds of colours, and the best is you can eat blooms as well as the leaves and stalks :D

Happy gardening!
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    So far I've planted two dahlias inside, will take them outside as soon as the night frost goes away. Will also plant parcely and get some wild strawberry plants oh and sunflowers. To go inside I'm planting avocados, their leaves are so beautiful and they get quite tall.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    On the porch I am growing Kapuzinerkresse (Don't know the English term, and haven't seen seeds for them over here. My Mom graciously sent me a bunch of bags :) )in pots. These plants belong to the cress family. They look very pretty and bloom in all kinds of colours, and the best is you can eat blooms as well as the leaves and stalks :D

Happy gardening!
    From my limited German, I was intrigued and had to look this up. Kapuzinerkresse are what we call nasturtiams. I agree, they are lovely and colorful and are tasty in salads.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    edited May 2013
    Summer garden is all gone now :cry: but it meant I had friend green tomatoes with some bacon & eggs for lunch yesterday. :D I've got my winter stuff in - silverbeet(swiss chard) & broccoli.
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    Beautiful spring day in Michigan! Got some tomatoes, peppers, basil, and rosemary to plant; also some snapdragons, dahlias, gerber daisies, and two beautiful foxgloves - hoping for some hummingbirds and butterflies to enjoy!

2015 Central Park

• guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Nothing yet...we don't plant until after May 20th up here in Calgary... could still snow. When the time comes we will go with tomatoes, lettuce, herbs, peas, carrots, potatoes and green beans. We only have a small plot in the community garden, the soil in the yard is awful (lots of clay) and barely grows anything.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini
    Brussel Sprouts
    Green beans
    Lettuce
    3 varieties of Peppers.

And my bride is going to make an attempt at growing Strawberries.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I've got to get moving on that barley. need it for the still
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    29 short days later and my tomatoes are already growing out of their cages and have set their second set of blossoms.

Where's the bacon?

Nice shirt.
    The hot sun and the torrential rain falls are doing their magic on our garden. We have now also planted the corn seeds and they are already coming out. Some of the radishes are almost looking ready to be harvested, and everything else is growing so fast you see a difference every day :D Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and squash are doing fine, as do the mustard greens, the arugula, the carrot babies, the kohlrabi and the beets.

My gandma sent me some seeds for another herb that I haven't seen here yet, but that is essential for German style green bean soup. In English it seems to be called savory, we call it "bean herb". Good stuff!

I'm excited to see how the gooseberry and the raspberry will turn out. Also, there are some strawberry plants in front of our house, and they are already having green berries on them. Not it's all weeding every now and then and waiting for the harvest :D
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Almost ready to harvest my first jalapenos! Now I'm waiting for poblanos, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes (mostly roma but also 4 other varieties of eating tomatoes). Also, several herbs like basil, lavender, thyme, lemon balm, and rosemary. There is a great u pick place here and I'm going this weekend to get strawberries so I can put up strawberry jam - yum!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    My family used to have the biggest garden (they still do).
    As a kid I used to LOVE to garden.

I'd really like to start again....though gardening in AZ is a little trickier than back in the midwest.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Golden Tomato
    Regular Tomato (Heirloom)
    Jalapenos
    Habaneros
    Mexican Pepper
    Yellow Bell Pepper
    Red Bell Pepper
    Basil
    Lime Basil
    Here's my bounty! Good thing there is only two of us!

5751be54-b858-406f-b59e-e345f76205df_zps75e33265.jpg
    2015 Central Park