Tom Waits News

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
edited September 2013 in Other Music
coffee table book: Waits/Corbijn '77-'11

158.36 euros excluding shipping?! :shock:
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Wow! :shock: that's damn expensive but.........it's Tom! I'm torn????? :lol::lol: my purse is saying NOOOO but my stupid coffee table is saying YES!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    :wave: Lorna! I know it's Tom, but it's too expensive for me. :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap wrote:
    :wave: Lorna! I know it's Tom, but it's too expensive for me. :mrgreen:
    :lol: I know.. It's way too expensive for me too and I don't actually own a coffee table! Lol!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Hell, I'd be too scared to put it on a coffee table! No one would be allowed to put their drink anywhere near the thing! :lol:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    I don't actually own a coffee table! Lol!
    Loulou wrote:
    Hell, I'd be too scared to put it on a coffee table! No one would be allowed to put their drink anywhere near the thing! :lol:

:lol::lol:
  • MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Yea it looks nice but a little too pricey for me. I ordered one of those limited edition poems / short stories from that site a while back. I got it and sent it back. It was about $50 but the quality was poor.

**EDIT: not saying that this will be the same. Just when I thought I scored a cool limited edition I realised it was overpriced for what it was.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
    It was the Seeds on the Ground book for 40 Euro but it was more like a pamphlet.

(Sorry it was annoying me what the name of that thing was so I had to scroll through some emails to find out!)
    Yeah, I remember your story Mango: Tom Waits 'Come On Up To The' House video
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I was looking forward to this too but will have to reconsider at that price! I bet it's pretty stunning though.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    6,600 is a pretty low number mind you but... I can live without it.
    So did anyone pre-order the coffee table book?
    Me, no.
    So I was listening to Rain Dogs there over the weekend. Its definitely one of my favourite Waits' albums. I absolutely love it. And would love to someday hear Pearl Jam cover "Gun Street Girl". I think it would suit Ed's voice and damn it I love the guitar picking.
    01533d6f-85c0-4af2-80d9-ba9ece958ba0_zpsc6d0fd78.jpg
    Mucking around today and thought I'd have a crack at drawing the wonderful Mr. Waits. ;)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:

Impressive! Kudos to Lorna! :D
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I've been on a big Waits kick lately. I just can't get over how wonderful his early stuff is. At least that's my favorite part of his career.

Closing Time
    The Heart of Saturday Night
    Blue Valentine
    Small Change
    Nighthawks
    Hearattack and Vine

Good lord.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Pap wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

Impressive! Kudos to Lorna! :D
    Thanks Pap! :D
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I've been on a big Waits kick lately. I just can't get over how wonderful his early stuff is. At least that's my favorite part of his career.

Closing Time
    The Heart of Saturday Night
    Blue Valentine
    Small Change
    Nighthawks
    Hearattack and Vine

Good lord.
    Great albums! I love them all. ;):D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    So this is one of my best mates and the guy who introduced me to Waits many years ago. He's not a bad singer himself and here's his versions:

(Looking For) The Heart of Saturday Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmTmy8l1bE

and

Blue Valentine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdpVZiZziG4

See what you think :thumbup:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Posted this in the Stones thread, but thought the Tom fans might want to know.

BJivzlpCUAIxbvS.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Having just seen (twice in two days!) Tom Waits in the Jim Jarmusch film "Down By Law" (I'm a big fan of Jarmusch and utterly confounded by the fact that I'd somehow missed this movie all these years until now) I'm led to ask you Waits fan this- where to start with Waits' music? I don't have any of his albums (and there are a lot of them!) and not sure where to start.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    brianlux wrote:
    Having just seen (twice in two days!) Tom Waits in the Jim Jarmusch film "Down By Law" (I'm a big fan of Jarmusch and utterly confounded by the fact that I'd somehow missed this movie all these years until now) I'm led to ask you Waits fan this- where to start with Waits' music? I don't have any of his albums (and there are a lot of them!) and not sure where to start.

these good starting points that give a well rounded approach to his music, just choosing 2 each from different stages in his career

Early:
    The Heart of Saturday Night - This shows his 70's songwriting mixed with jazz influences
    Nighthawks At The Diner - This was recorded live in studio in front of an audience of about 100 people, his 70's persona as a freewheeling jazz/singer songwriter is really captured here.

Mid:
    Heart Attack & Vine - this is the bridge album between his past and future
    Rain Dogs - considered his peak album and defined Tom Waits of the 80's

Later:
    Mule Variations - classic album, really well rounded and all-encompassing of his music
    Real Gone - Dark, grim album and first to not feature a piano composition

If you like all of those, you'll end up buying his whole catalogue
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    brianlux wrote:

these good starting points that give a well rounded approach to his music, just choosing 2 each from different stages in his career

Early:
    The Heart of Saturday Night - This shows his 70's songwriting mixed with jazz influences
    Nighthawks At The Diner - This was recorded live in studio in front of an audience of about 100 people, his 70's persona as a freewheeling jazz/singer songwriter is really captured here.

Mid:

Later:
    Mule Variations - classic album, really well rounded and all-encompassing of his music

Thanks, mookeywrench!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux wrote:

Early:

Mid:

Later:

I agree with all those suggestions. Heart of Saturday Night was my first Waits album followed by Rain Dogs. Mule Variations is quite accessable and showcases a good range of Tom Waits' song writing ability. I think it was Heart Attack & Vine that pushed me over the edge with Tom.
    brianlux wrote:
    Where to start with Waits' music?

1) Rain Dogs
    2) Franks Wild Years
    3) Bone Machine
    4) Mule Variations
    5) Real Gone
    6) Bad as Me
    Looks like "Rain Dogs" is a good place for me to start.

Descriptions of "Bone Machine" have me intrigued as well but probably not as a starting point.

Small Change, his third album, was the first I had heard of him. Its an album that set me off in a different direction and I couldn't get over how one guy could pour his heart out like that. You can smell the cigarettes and whisky when you hear those songs. Its pure genius and I adore it. If Small Change doesn't do it for you...
    Mango wrote:
    You can smell the cigarettes and whisky when you hear those songs
    So true! :) I love all of his music but I really do have a soft spot for Bone Machine, being a little harder. Also adore Rain Dogs and Alice. ;)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    For those of you who haven't heard Tom Waits' 1978 performance on Austin City Limits, the whole show, in seperate videos for each number, can be found on YouTube. However, I wanted to share this because I find it to be one of the most gripping performances I've heard.

I love how Tom enters into his actual singing voice when the narrator reads the line in the letter "Charlie, I almost went crazy..."

Spectacular performance of "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZcxsHKBW4

One of the best ACL performances I know of.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    Don't forget Swordfishtrombones. That's also a brilliant album. Even better than Rain Dogs, IMO.