Options

PJ in Chicago

spiderlovespiderlove Posts: 30
edited January 2013 in The Porch
I am a Newbie to this sight and would love some input from you fine folk. I am in mid NC. I have rediscovered PJ after many years and have gone from fixation to obsession very quickly. (Including some nice new ink)That being said.....I may have screwed the pooch. I have put in for the ticket drawing and "paid". Now I have no idea how to get there. I had always seen "fly to chicago for $59.00" and crap like that. NOW it looks as though my dream is turing into a $1000.00 concert for my hubby and I. Driving is not an option due to work/time constraints. Also, can some suggest cheap places to stay? Any help you can give me will rock my world. I have a "friend" in Chicago who gave me the heads up about this right before it was announced on here. So far as him being of any help? Nada. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Oy $1000 for both of you?? This trip is probably going to cost me $3000 once all is said and done! Count yourself lucky! ;) Although I am splurging a bit on the hotel. While I was researching hotel prices, I noticed that there are a few.hostels in Chicago, starting at $35 a night or something... they are all dorm room style I think, men and women separated, but that is dirt cheap! The next price above that that I saw was $103 a night at the Howard Johnson. Not nice, but great location.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    Keep checking flights on www.cheaptickets.com The prices will change several times a day. You should be able to get tickets for $150-$250 about a month or so out from the concert. But you will really need to keep checking multiple times a day.

http://www.cheaptickets.com/shop/home?t ... ch+Flights
  • Options
    Name your own price on Priceline is a good option for hotels.

Last time PJ was in chicago I got the Palmer house Hilton for $68. (The L that goes direct to Wrigley is literally at it's doorstep). Many other jammers got the Hyatt Regency for $55. (I took too long to book and missed the boat).

As for transportation I guess train would take too long for you so your only option is flying. I'm in Canada so I don't really know what airlines fly out of your airport. The only thing I can think is if you can drive part way and fly out of a different airport.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Thanks. I will keep checking on flights. Driving may end up being just as much due to the vehicle we have to have for business reasons. Feel like an ignorant hillbilly and my hubby will NOT be happy know we shelled out $1000.00 for one concert. We are kind of paycheck to paycheck right now so this was rather selfish of me. It will be our 16th anniversary though so maybe I can make it work somehow.
  • Options
    If you want to carpool let me know...I'll be driving from eastern panhandle of WV for my 11 hour drive and may be alone or may have my wife. She's not sure if she wants to drive that far for PJ.
  • Options
    Drive to Charlotte. Fly Southwest to Midway, probably your best bet......
  • Options
    An option if you are flying into O'hare, is to stay in a hotel in the Rosemont/O'hare area. The hotel options there will most likely be cheaper than downtown. You can take the Blue line and Bus to Wrigley. It is less convenient then getting a hotel on the red line, but it should save you some money.

Like everyone else said - keep checking flights to O'hare or Midway. I know that Bing.com/travel has a price predictor - so you might want to check that out.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see
  • Options
    You people are AWESOME. To the WV poster.....We have a plave in WV on the Greenbrier River. You know that area. Looks like we will be driving to Raleigh and leaving from there and just eating the money. Thank God I have a good hubby. Just told him the "cart in front of the horse" story and said my cart is in a ditch and came clean about the whole thing. He hugged me and said we would work it out because he knows how much this means to me. PJ has only played NC once to my knowledge so this may be my only chance for a really long time. With luck they will play Raleigh here this fall:-)
  • Options
    What is the time distance of Ohare and Midway to Wrigley?
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    spiderlove wrote:

Midways a bit further away, but the point is fairly moot -- both airports have a train that goes downtown. O'Hare has the Blue Line, Midway the Orange. If you find a good deal for Midway, take it. You can just go Orange Line to downtown, then Blue Line to Wrigley or wherever you're staying.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    kw18 wrote:
    spiderlove wrote:

Midways a bit further away, but the point is fairly moot -- both airports have a train that goes downtown. O'Hare has the Blue Line, Midway the Orange. If you find a good deal for Midway, take it. You can just go Orange Line to downtown, then Blue Line to Wrigley or wherever you're staying.
    That is good to know - Thx!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    spiderlove wrote:

Heres a map showing you the "L" train. You can see the airports at the end of the Blue and Orange lines. The red line stop of Addison is Wrigley field......

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... sch&itbs=1
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Heres a map showing you the "L" train. You can see the airports at the end of the Blue and Orange lines. The red line stop of Addison is Wrigley field......

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... sch&itbs=1

Sorry, blerg, yeah. Red Line goes to Wrigley. :fp: I've been living off the Blue Line for too long ... I just assume it goes everywhere! :lol:

Eitherway, most trains connect downtown, and you can get wherever you want to go with them. You can find details of the train system maps -- and hours of operation -- on the CTA's website: http://www.transitchicago.com/default.aspx
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    I do know that area, only a couple hours from me. My sister-in-law is in med school in Lewiburg and her boyfriend is a river guide guru on the New and Gulley. Great part of the state. Hope to meet up in Chi-town with everyone!
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Drive to Charlotte. Fly Southwest to Midway, probably your best bet......

Or USair direct from Charlotte. I believe they fly into ORD.

If you are dead set on flying out of Raleigh, check Delta. Last summer there was a direct flight from Raleigh to Indianapolis on and off throughout the week which you could then drive the 2.5-3 hrs up from there. May be cheaper than having to connect through a hub to get to Chicago?
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    Wow. What would I do without you all? (ya'll from where I'm from) I have a friend that LIVES in chicago you has been MUCH less help than eveyone I have met here so far. PJ fans really are a family.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    spiderlove wrote:
    I am a Newbie to this sight and would love some input from you fine folk. I am in mid NC. I have rediscovered PJ after many years and have gone from fixation to obsession very quickly. (Including some nice new ink)That being said.....I may have screwed the pooch. I have put in for the ticket drawing and "paid". Now I have no idea how to get there. I had always seen "fly to chicago for $59.00" and crap like that. NOW it looks as though my dream is turing into a $1000.00 concert for my hubby and I. Driving is not an option due to work/time constraints. Also, can some suggest cheap places to stay? Any help you can give me will rock my world. I have a "friend" in Chicago who gave me the heads up about this right before it was announced on here. So far as him being of any help? Nada. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

You can cancel your ticket purchase if you want. Nothing is charged to the card until the 3oth.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    I am not cancelling ANYTHING! I am going even if I have to crawl on glass for days. Just talked to my employer and they are willing to work with me if I train a cover person.
  • Options
    crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    It would save you hotel fees if you flew in morning of and flew out 2 or three in the morning after the show. it would cut into the enjoyment of the evening I'd imagine, but hey it'll be a hell of a good show.

If time is a pressing matter I wouldn't ever count on Amtrak to get me from one spot to the next, one thing goes wrong and your days a wasted.

Hell, you only live once. Go all out get a room and flight and meet some good folks along the way.
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    Ask Speedy.
  • Options
    Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    Bid on a hotel on Priceline.com. I got a 4 star hotel Sheraton Chicago Ohare Airport Hotel (where you will probably be flying in too) for $67, right on the blue line (runs 24 hrs) with easy access to Wrigley.
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,001
    $1,000 is a rip off! :(

On expedia.com, you can get 2 roundtrip tix from Charlotte to Chicago with two nights at a 2 star hotel (with good reviews) for $539. If you add 2 PJ tickets to that, it's gonna come out to slightly over $700. It's still not cheap, but much better than $1,000. :)
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2