1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - A Personal Quest

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited March 2013 in Other Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_vie ... 00&start=0

So I am going through this book and listening fully to all the albums on it... List a bit suspect but it was a present and its exposing me to fabulous stuff I never heard or re-visiting albums I have not listened in a long time..

No cheating... All albums must be listened to ... First song to last ...

So follow also on my journey or join me... I have been synopsing on my Facebook (through 51 albums so far picked randomly) Look me up (Adam Behlman) there or I'll start posting the picks and a silly comment on here too..

So right now 51/1001 - U2/Achtung Baby
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i think ill do this.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Not as easy as you think :corn:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Not as easy as you think :corn:
    i have more free time than you!.. :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    :lol:

52/1001 - Primal Scream/Screamadelica - Dance party at my house!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Sorry, two Captain Beefheart albums (only 2-3 pages in, could be more) is a dealbreaker. I've tried and tried to give his stuff a shot, and have heard Trout Mask Replica many times. Can't do it again.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the beatles white album and the rolling stones catalogue... those are the albums on my list.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    i've really enjoyed following your list on facebook, Adam!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i've really enjoyed following your list on facebook, Adam!
    Me too! Definitely enjoyed following it, has encouraged me to check some cool stuff out!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Very interesting, I don't suppose some of those would be easy to listen to. :lol: One persons trash is another persons treasure. It's good to see lots Waits, The Kinks, The Cure, Joy Division and Iggy Pop's The Idiot on there. :D happy listening!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Snagging this to check it out some more later. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=319133&show=100&start=0

So I am going through this book and listening fully to all the albums on it... List a bit suspect but it was a present and its exposing me to fabulous stuff I never heard or re-visiting albums I have not listened in a long time..

So follow also on my journey or join me... I have been synopsing on my Facebook (through 51 albums so far picked randomly) Look me up (Adam Behlman) there or I'll start posting the picks and a silly comment on here too..

Very, very cool that you're doing this. I started doing something similar. Maybe before I reveal what it is, I should revive it since I haven't done anything with it in almost a year. Now would be an excellent time to re-start.
    http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=319133&show=100&start=0

Very, very cool that you're doing this. I started doing something similar. Maybe before I reveal what it is, I should revive it since I haven't done anything with it in almost a year. Now would be an excellent time to re-start.
    :excited:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Away on a bit of a vacation ... So here is some new ones...

53/1001 - Yes/The Yes Album - Program Rock meets The tri person harmony ... Seen All Good People, a classic
    54/1001 - Miriam Makeba/Miriam Makeba (1st record) - Unreal... Beautiful voice ... Amazing songs...amazing life
    55/1001 - Harry Nillson -Nillson Schmilson- Never heard it before ... Heard the songs but never pit two and two together.. A very breezy listen (had to do twice). After reading a bit about him you can see his influence on later Lennon.
    56/1001 - Queen/Night at the Opera - Thunderbolts and Lightening... Very very frightening ... A classic
    57/1001 - Dexy's Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels - Only knew C'mon On Eileen.. Lots of the Specials and the Commitments ..
    58/1001 Talk Talk/The Colour Of Spring - Another one hit wonder in US where I missed the rest of it... what a voice..
    59/1001- A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm - Queens in Da House!! Q-Tip by far the most intelligent rapper of his generation IMO

And on we go...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    good job brother!!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    i might unfriend you on face book
    :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    #59, A Tribe Called Quest...One of my favorites from college!! Luck of Lucien, Can I Kick It? and Left My Wallet In El Segundo are of my favs!!

Cheers and be Well,
    BS
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Are you just listening once and moving on? I've found that it takes about 5 listens before I start to really digest an album.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

:lol::lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Are you just listening once and moving on? I've found that it takes about 5 listens before I start to really digest an album.
    Sometimes, especially when I don't get it on first listen... I agree with your assessment but I do wanna finish before I die :lol: :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    60/1001 - Green Day/Dookie - always somewhere on my most listened too, but great hearing it all the way through again
    61/1001 - Shack/H.M.S. Fable - Did not catch me until last song Daniella... hauntingly Beautiful
    62/1001 - Last album on list ... I love this band... Amazing front through back.. Funeral still my fave but this a close second.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    how are you listening via rhapsody? I wonder if there's a play list you can share or something.

edit - just saw your fb page and it looks like you're using spotify
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I need to get this book and do this!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    63/1001 - Paul Simon/Graceland - Diamond on the Soul of His Shoes, one of my faves and another Queens shout out!!
    64/1001 - Incredible Bongo Band/Bondo Rock - If you like Bongo's you'll love this album!! Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, with Bongos!!
    65/1001 Country Joe & The Fish/Electirc Music For the Mind and Body - Like I was back in the 80's in the backseat of my friends car... On the corner...
    66/1001- XTC/Skylarking - Dear God is a wonderful single. Did not connect with the rest of the album. Will listen again
    67/1001 - Q-Tip/The Renaissance - From listiening to ATCQ just a week ago, this is a huge step forward. More Jazz and Alternative than anything I have heard in hip hop. Queens Rules!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    68/1001 - Pere Ubu/Dub Housing

Freaky :shock:
    But interesting experimental music... 1st Tracy Navvvy is quite awesome.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I think any list like this will have some faults but overall this is very good.
    It is interesting to scrollthrough and watch popular music change. Watch the Jazz era filter out and rock come in and then later watch rap inch in as well.

My biggest complaint is they have some decent entries for 80's and a couple 90's big time metal bands, but nothing from the 2000's. No high on fire, mastodon, baroness or others that may be deserving of a mention.

Overall though pretty good job
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I think any list like this will have some faults but overall this is very good.
    It is interesting to scrollthrough and watch popular music change. Watch the Jazz era filter out and rock come in and then later watch rap inch in as well.

My biggest complaint is they have some decent entries for 80's and a couple 90's big time metal bands, but nothing from the 2000's. No high on fire, mastodon, baroness or others that may be deserving of a mention.

Overall though pretty good job
    Yeah agreed... Love me some Baroness especially.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Can I skip the '80s? Or at least any Duran Duran albums that may show up?
    Jason P wrote:
    Can I skip the '80s? Or at least any Duran Duran albums that may show up?
    Already got Rio :lol:
    No skipping :evil: :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif