Options

Thanks 10C, But I Don't Gamble.

Comments

• Options
    I've never been shut out of a show with the old system. So far, with the new lottery system, I haven't been shut out either. So, until that happens, I love the new system.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    dislocated wrote:
    I've never been shut out of a show with the old system. So far, with the new lottery system, I haven't been shut out either. So, until that happens, I love the new system.

Best outlook to have.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    october22 wrote:
    It's not about how good a handjob from a guy in a tie-died shirt feels. It's about reality.

The ten club needs to sell a t-shirt with that on it. :D
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    october22 wrote:
    Luck sucks. Competition is preferable.

What evidence do you have that the old system operated on "competition" or "effort" and not "luck?"
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    vant0037 wrote:

What evidence do you have that the old system operated on "competition" or "effort" and not "luck?"
    there is only one envidence..a more patient butt that can seat in a chair more hours than yours
    you need to work that ass buddy.... :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    is this thread serious? This has to be a joke, right? People are comparing shows to a concert to college admission? This is pure comedy.
    Nothing like a good straw man argument to help reinforce your point, is there? This thread has been riddled with them since the OP declared "People who support the lottery system are probably the same people who want to ban tag on the playground and declare both teams winners in little league games."

Surprised we haven't seen something like "You know where they had lotteries? Nazi Germany." yet.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    JTH wrote:

Surprised we haven't seen something like "You know where they had lotteries? Nazi Germany." yet.

:lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    It's not even worth getting amped up about with this ticket system IMHO , if i get tickets to the next set of shows/show good if not it's ok too , i'm way past the end all be all ticket scenarios of the past and future ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    but that's OK. you don't have to enter the lottery. there will ever be a way to suit everyone and it is what it is. it seems fairest to me and if you decide that this isn't for you, that's fine.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    JTH wrote:
    is this thread serious? This has to be a joke, right? People are comparing shows to a concert to college admission? This is pure comedy.
    Nothing like a good straw man argument to help reinforce your point, is there? This thread has been riddled with them since the OP declared "People who support the lottery system are probably the same people who want to ban tag on the playground and declare both teams winners in little league games."

Ridiculous. It wasn't a straw man, it was just a little color. Besides, plenty of people have supported my argument with more clarity than I initially put forth.

I don't favor a system based purely on luck.

No straw man needed to make that argument. I think that they should have fixed the problems with the old system but not replaced it with a lottery. I'm trying to understand the other side but I just don't see a valid argument for it.
  • Options
    I think the new system will be fine. I used to be punching the screen,cursing,swearing,giving the finger to God when the system kept locking up and booting me out. This will be a lot less stress in the end!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    october22 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i wouldn't call it gambling. when you gamble you have to risk something to win something....

it's risk free to enter the drawing here.

carry on.

Not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you read my post clearly.
    I read the whole thing carefully, and my first reaction was, 'if you aren't losing something you risked, how is it gambling??' ... If we had to pay for a ticket even if we didn't get picked in the draw, then I'd see your point. ;)

I never dealt with the old system, so luckily can't compare/complain/get mad. I've seen so many complaints what a gong show 10C ticket sales were over the past year, though, that I have to assume a change was needed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,453
    Im 100% in favor of this new system.

I was rarely shut out before. That being said, I have a job, a family. I dont like using vacation days spending hours at a computer trying to hit refresh, when other people are logged on 4 different computers and jamming up the system.

I would prefer it if it was easy to log on, select shows 1, 2, and 3 and wait for the results. This new system is very much like the old "mail in index card" system, which was painless.

If I get shut out, so be it. At least I didnt waste a vacation day clicking refresh.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    Do you people like the music or do you just like being close to the stage?
  • Options
    Not sure why you're asking, but I like both. Don't you? :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    I got tickets about 70% of the time through ten club - for the rest of the shows I have seen I found another way to get tickets. I expect about the same result with the lottery - but without the insane amount of wasted hours and complete frustration.
    I have never not gone to a show that I wanted to go to and I expect that will continue as well.
    So I am all for the newfound freedom for ten club members with the new system.
    Getting tickets will just get harder and harder as time goes on regardless so lets move on and get our lives back.
    The old system is "perceived control" - it seemed like it was about skill but it was just a bunch of digital lottery balls being thrown around anyway. The few people who are tech wizards and have lots of time of their hands may have been rewarded but I am not a tech wizard and don't have hours and days to spend trying to get tickets.

This lottery will be good for my marriage. That's the big win here.
  • Options
    I like to gamble. Vegas rules!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Of course.

But it seems that there is more concern placed on being close to the stage than getting into the show.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    No more wasted days in front of my computer! Yes, please. If you want to get to the show, you can find a way. Words of wisdom from The Rob.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    Why is it the only people I hear complaining about the new ticket system are the people that live in the northeast?

I travel to the northeast for shows all the time, and I know how to pound the f5 key as hard as the rest of you, like i'm sure many other traveling fans around here do... why aren't we complaining to?

The 10C has obviously elected to go to the same lottery style as employed by several other major ticket drawing bands - DMB, Phish, etc... they are not going to back down on it now.

Suck it up.

Move on.

Ditch your membership if you want.

Either lottery or don't - I'm sick of hearing people bitch about it. There is always ticketmaster if you don't score your tickets. If you do the math and add up the day worth of lost work time f5'ing your way to victory, you can probably afford to buy your tickets from a scalper anyway.
    This says it all imo. If you really think the hours of crashing servers, having tickets in your cart just to lose them, waiting half the day to find out when the tickets are gone when in reality they were sold out loooooong ago, and all the other bullshit that went along with the "great F5 system", was the answer you are sadly mistaken. Lots of other big acts do a lottery and I can GUARANTEE there isn't half as much complaining on their respective forums as there is here after a ticket sale.
    The old system wasn't working. Bring on the new.
  • Options
    Wow, a lot of you surprise me. I still disagree with you, but oh well. Good luck in future tours.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Of course.

But it seems that there is more concern placed on being close to the stage than getting into the show.
    I think most people here would take what they can get in the end because they want to get into the show no matter what, but being close to the stage certainly is worth any extra effort it may take to try and get there! Not just for PJ... I obviously try to get the best seats possible for any show I go to, assuming the price isn't out of my range.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Of course.

Very much so. They want the picks, the setlist, a tambourine. Me, I just want to enjoy the show. Couldn't careless where in the arena I am as long as I'm watching & hearing the band play a great 2 - 2 & a half hour show :D
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Of course.

Very much so. They want the picks, the setlist, a tambourine. Me, I just want to enjoy the show. Couldn't careless where in the arena I am as long as I'm watching & hearing the band play a great 2 - 2 & a half hour show :D
    Really? I say the closer the better. Has nothing to do with getting stuff (most shows I go to they do not throw shit at me! :lol:). I just like to be closer so I can see them better, be up where there is the most energy in the crowd - I find that the closer I am to the performers, the more I feel connected to the experience of watching and hearing them. Being close has everything to do with enjoying the show as much as possible. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere in the building, but being close makes it even more fun.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Really? I say the closer the better. Has nothing to do with getting stuff (most shows I go to they do not throw shit at me! :lol:). I just like to be closer so I can see them better, be up where there is the most energy in the crowd - I find that the closer I am to the performers, the more I feel connected to the experience of watching and hearing them. Being close has everything to do with enjoying the show as much as possible. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it anywhere in the building, but being close makes it even more fun.

Exactly. There aren't any shows one can't get into (especially for a price (borgata comes to mind for me and it was worth every penny)) but seeing the band up close is where it's at. Which is why I preferred the old ticket system. I'll be missing all those great 10C seats...
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Exactly. There aren't any shows one can't get into (especially for a price (borgata comes to mind for me and it was worth every penny)) but seeing the band up close is where it's at. Which is why I preferred the old ticket system. I'll be missing all those great 10C seats...
    Okay... although that's not even what I meant - my 10C number is so high, the old system would have fucked me over anyhow. :lol: Only way I'm ever getting close to the stage with any system that has anything to do with our 10C number is with GA (YES YES YES) or with ticket buddies or scalpers.... Or wait... are you saying that your 10C number doesn't matter anymore?? I mean, aren't seats still assigned by seniority once you win them?
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    october22 wrote:

How so? Assuming you get to buy tickets to a given show, your seats are still assigned by seniority.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    october22 wrote:

How so? Assuming you get to buy tickets to a given show, your seats are still assigned by seniority.
    Yeah, sounds like October22 might think that seniority seating has gone out the window... I wish!!! I think seniority seating sucks!
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    I JUST WANT MY TWO TICKETS TO A SHOW
    PJ IS ABOUT 2-3 BIG TOURS FROM BEING DONE WITH THESE BIG TOURS OR HELLO ROLLING STONES (HAHA$700 A TIX)....
    THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES

NEW SYSTEM SUCKS
    OLD SUCKS
    IT'S ALL GETTING OLD
    WHICH SUCKS
    THEREFORE FU$K IT AND ENJOY WHAT IS LEFT
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:
    I JUST WANT MY TWO TICKETS TO A SHOW
    PJ IS ABOUT 2-3 BIG TOURS FROM BEING DONE WITH THESE BIG TOURS OR HELLO ROLLING STONES (HAHA$700 A TIX)....
    THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES

NEW SYSTEM SUCKS
    OLD SUCKS
    IT'S ALL GETTING OLD
    WHICH SUCKS
    THEREFORE FU$K IT AND ENJOY WHAT IS LEFT
    :?