Most Anticipated Albums per Rolling Stone

ayashin716ayashin716 Posts: 93
edited January 2013 in The Porch
Our boys coming in at number 2 behind U2.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... p_mobi=yes
Manchester II - 6/21/12 / Philadelphia - 9/2/12 / Brooklyn I - 10/18/13 / Brooklyn II - !0/19/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    And just slightly above American Idol winner, David Cook. :lol:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    One thing I actually agree with RS, the album most likely be out until 2014
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    I don't understand why when bands get older, the fewer the albums we get. If Jeff Ament can release 2 side projects albums + a solo album in 2 years and not really care about the critics or reaction then why can't the band?
    Bob Dylan, Neil Young and the Ramones (all huge influences) put out records every 1 1/2-2 years for decades. They didn't give a shit what anyone thought....c'mon PJ, we don't expect a masterpiece or perfectionism.
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • the new album part is great, but the best part about that is the fact that they have to tour to support it.

im dying to see these guys again. MIA was so much fun, and even for it being a shorten festival it was so fulfilling after not seeing them for 4 years.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    One thing I actually agree with RS, the album most likely be out until 2014

So no full blown tour for 2013? :(
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    It would be so nice if PJ pulled a Bowie and just out of the blue released a single and said the new album is coming out in March.... lol.....that would be sweet.

That being said I kind of agree with RS on this one also.......We might not see an album till 2014......the thought of that makes me wanna puke.
    ctd
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I don't understand why when bands get older, the fewer the albums we get. If Jeff Ament can release 2 side projects albums + a solo album in 2 years and not really care about the critics or reaction then why can't the band?
    Bob Dylan, Neil Young and the Ramones (all huge influences) put out records every 1 1/2-2 years for decades. They didn't give a shit what anyone thought....c'mon PJ, we don't expect a masterpiece or perfectionism.

Exactly. Some great albums have been recorded over a weekend. We wait 5 years for a 36 minute follow up. News came out last week they're halfway done. Not sure what the news was, they've been halfway done since late 2010.

"But they have families, side projects etc..."

Yep and great albums have been recorded in a weekend.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    about half the list is good :|
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Ideally an album this year would be nice but for me it's the quality that will count. That said, to mirror someone else's comment, some albums are recorded very quickly. Look at Temple Of The Dog for an example! Maybe if they went down to Atlanta or somewhere as a band and just holed up together for two weeks they'd make an amazing album? I think they'll get if finished this year but have a feeling it won't see the light of day until 2014.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Fucking late '13!? '14!? I was thinking more like summer or fall latest! come onnnn now
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Dean Ween - The album of the future
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Pearl Jam and Tool. :o
  • MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    1. U2 - couldn't give a rats ass. They've been living off past successes for years now.

2. Pearl Jam - I'll wait another year, no worries.

3. David Cook - I don't watch silly song contests. Never heard of him. Never will.

4. Arcade Fire - Bring it on!!! Easily one of the best live bands I've seen.

5. QOTSA - could be awesome, could be... not so awesome. Can't wait though!

6. Josh Krajcik - I don't watch silly song contests. Never heard of him. Never will.

7. Black Sabbath - No interest in Ozzy and the ongoing arguing in the band makes this stink of desperation. Its over lads. Has been for many a year. Let it go.

8. Britney Spears - Who?

9. Tool - Im not really a fan but respect what they do. 23 years and only 4 albums according to the article?

10. Lady Gaga - FFS.

Thats a depressing list right there. Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, QOTSA for me.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • yoyoyoyo France Posts: 310
    It will be a double album, warm, dark, dust, "experimental", totality new with longest songs, without pop and "easy" songs, with a production like Vs/Vitalogy/No Code ... I can't wait !!!
    It will be release the August 20, 2013 ! No later please !!!!
    Hope So, ... :mrgreen: :roll: :lol::D :oops: :corn:
    1996-PARIS
    2000-PARIS
    2006-ANVERS-MARSEILLE-PARIS
    2007-LONDRES-NIJMEGEN-WERCHTER
    2008-ED SOLO-LOS ANGELES1-LOS ANGELES2
    2009-LONDRES
    2010-DUBLIN-ARRAS
    2012-AMSTERDAM1-ARRAS-STOCKHOLM-OSLO-COPENHAGUE
    2014-MILAN
    2017-ED SOLO-AMSTERDAM1
    2018-ROME
    2022-PARIS-AMSTERDAM1(Canceled)-AMSTERDAM2
    2024-BERLIN1-BERLIN2-BARCELONE1-BARCELONE2
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I love the band, or else I wouldn't be here, but they long passed my interest in a new album ages ago. Any new album is going to catch my interest somewhere between that mole on my ass and the next 311 album. Pearl Jam will always be one of my top 3 favorite bands on account of their past, but between the shit sandwich that was Ole and... not a damn thing, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be anticipating. And they need to stop being so stereotypical. They're getting lumped in with U2 who are political as a shtick these days, Pearl Jam are better than that. At least I hope. Their camp doesn't seem to be. They ban/probate one more essential member of the community and the whole thing is a joke.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    the album gonna kick ass..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

After the disappointment of Backspacer and the bullshit that was Ole I'm not so sure. Studio-wise, I feel the band are at a crossroads. There is alot of expectation on the next record, alot of disgruntled fans saying they have ignored America the last few years and no album. Get this album wrong and they'll lose fans I think. If it is like Backspacer, I will be massively disappointed.

I will say though that live-wise they are still awesome, just they need to sort themselves out in the studio. It is a big year for Pearl Jam.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    boyo79 wrote:

After the disappointment of Backspacer and the bullshit that was Ole I'm not so sure. Studio-wise, I feel the band are at a crossroads. There is alot of expectation on the next record, alot of disgruntled fans saying they have ignored America the last few years and no album. Get this album wrong and they'll lose fans I think. If it is like Backspacer, I will be massively disappointed.

I will say though that live-wise they are still awesome, just they need to sort themselves out in the studio. It is a big year for Pearl Jam.

I think you are spot on with this Ian. Given the amount of different music the guys have been producing outside of PJ it will be difficult to get them all writing songs together that truly fit the PJ sound. They are all in different places musically just now and it could go either way. They don't need to worry about chart positions as they have a hardcore following who know what they want to hear. Backspacer was them pandering to getting radio play which isn't exactly their style. They seem a million miles from the band who wrote Binaural or even S/T and yes, I know they've grown and moved on but for all the great lyrics on some of the Backspacer songs they didn't match it musically. Two of their best songs in years I thought were Speed Of Sound and Force Of Nature yet they barely made any setlists in favour of the catchy pop songs which is quite sad. They can't always live of their reputation as probably the best live band around. Maybe Dimi is right and this time they're really going to surprise us? Hope this will be the case.... :?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    boyo79 wrote:

Dunno Ian, backspacer won them a lot more new fans than it lost them old. They reappealed to the masses and on sales figures and chart positions alone that worked.

Objective achieved if indeed they were even interested in that objective.

To me PJ do as they like, they do what they enjoy, and they shouldnt and couldnt give a flying fuck if they make the record everyone wants. A band does as they please, as soon as they start pandering to satisfy a cult like message board they will be in a dangerous place.

Backspacer was very well received, everywhere but here it seems, so theres no disgrace in that record. I still enjoy it. Ole lets not forget was a giveaway song, an unexpected little gift to us all so to hold that as the taster for a new album is a bit much

It will be what it will be, and Im damn sure I'll enjoy it.
    veddertown wrote:
    Ideally an album this year would be nice but for me it's the quality that will count. That said, to mirror someone else's comment, some albums are recorded very quickly. Look at Temple Of The Dog for an example! Maybe if they went down to Atlanta or somewhere as a band and just holed up together for two weeks they'd make an amazing album? I think they'll get if finished this year but have a feeling it won't see the light of day until 2014.

i know it was solo but ITW was created in what 3 weeks? if thats not an example of what can be done quickly then I dont know what is - that remains a terrific piece of work. Ed knows how to write alright :D
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    yoyo wrote:
    It will be a double album, warm, dark, dust, "experimental", totality new with longest songs, without pop and "easy" songs, with a production like Vs/Vitalogy/No Code ... I can't wait !!!
    It will be release the August 20, 2013 ! No later please !!!!
    Hope So, ... :mrgreen: :roll: :lol::D :oops: :corn:

Woohoo! I'll buy that for a dollar! :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    pdalowsky wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

i know it was solo but ITW was created in what 3 weeks? if thats not an example of what can be done quickly then I dont know what is - that remains a terrific piece of work. Ed knows how to write alright :D

Personally speaking I'm not one to diss any PJ album. They all have a time and place for me. Some more than others but I don't think they've ever really put out a weak album. I think the new one is going to surprise a lot of people. I think the band is great at that. Just when you think they're done they come out and do something super cool. They rarely disappoint. And I've made this point many times before that in this age of digital downloads everyone wants to hear new stuff now. No one seems to have patience or trust anymore. If they decide to take another 2 years then so be it. Like many of you I've been on this amazing trip more or less from day one. It's gonna be fine. They will continue to release new music and tour. Pearl Jam are in good health.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't think they owe it to anyone to rush things, leak a track or two online (although I wouldn't say no!), answer any critics. When it's ready it's ready. They are their own best critics and if, lets say, Backspacer is the weakest thing this band puts out? Well I'd be more than happy with that.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
    Mango wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Personally speaking I'm not one to diss any PJ album. They all have a time and place for me. Some more than others but I don't think they've ever really put out a weak album. I think the new one is going to surprise a lot of people. I think the band is great at that. Just when you think they're done they come out and do something super cool. They rarely disappoint. And I've made this point many times before that in this age of digital downloads everyone wants to hear new stuff now. No one seems to have patience or trust anymore. If they decide to take another 2 years then so be it. Like many of you I've been on this amazing trip more or less from day one. It's gonna be fine. They will continue to release new music and tour. Pearl Jam are in good health.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't think they owe it to anyone to rush things, leak a track or two online (although I wouldn't say no!), answer any critics. When it's ready it's ready. They are their own best critics and if, lets say, Backspacer is the weakest thing this band puts out? Well I'd be more than happy with that.

Oh definitely they aren't finished. As I said live-wise they are still one of the best. And 1 bad record out of 9 isn't a bad showing. I'm not going into the new record with high expectations though, as already said Backspacer disappointed me. I do feel its a weak album and don't think anything on there really stands up to their previous work. Some may disagree but thats my opinion. I do feel Backspacer was an album they had to get out of their system, a phase they wanted to do. I just hope they are done with it and can move on to better things now. And if its this year, or 12 or 18 months away thats fine. Like Gary said its the quality that counts.

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    who are David Cook and Josh Krajcik? who the heck is waiting for a new Britney Spears album?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Hoping a 2013 summer release and US TOUR.

fear about a just breath style album......

prefer breakerfall, save you, last exit, brain of j style songs. dont thinking about 90´s style.
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I'm not looking forward to this album anymore. It does not seem like their heart is into it. I expect it to sound like a jumbled mess considering sessions are being recorded few and far between. I'd rather just get an extensive tour.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • I think backspacer was not a great album in comparison with Avocado, that for me was great.

Im afraid about power ballads, two regular albums will be dangerous for the band.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't think they owe it to anyone to rush things, leak a track or two online (although I wouldn't say no!), answer any critics. When it's ready it's ready. They are their own best critics and if, lets say, Backspacer is the weakest thing this band puts out? Well I'd be more than happy with that.[/quote]

Oh definitely they aren't finished. As I said live-wise they are still one of the best. And 1 bad record out of 9 isn't a bad showing. I'm not going into the new record with high expectations though, as already said Backspacer disappointed me. I do feel its a weak album and don't think anything on there really stands up to their previous work. Some may disagree but thats my opinion. I do feel Backspacer was an album they had to get out of their system, a phase they wanted to do. I just hope they are done with it and can move on to better things now. And if its this year, or 12 or 18 months away thats fine. Like Gary said its the quality that counts.[/quote]
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I'm not looking forward to this album anymore. It does not seem like their heart is into it. I expect it to sound like a jumbled mess considering sessions are being recorded few and far between. I'd rather just get an extensive tour.

Yep, just give us a tour. Hopefully I like the new album, but I'm just sick of hearing about it at this point. Finish it already!!
    Well after chatting to a friend who had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Ed in November and sharing some wine etc Ed was said to be extremely driven to be getting back to work on the new record.....with a sense of vigour that was pretty exciting.

So anyone who thinks their hearts arnt in it, based on what they have read online or made up themselves, really probably doesnt have a clue whats going on.

Theres 5 guys, and from the sounds of it they are very excited to be working together again very soon. they are not rushing, they dont need to , but that doesnt mean its all over.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Well after chatting to a friend who had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Ed in November and sharing some wine etc Ed was said to be extremely driven to be getting back to work on the new record.....with a sense of vigour that was pretty exciting.

So anyone who thinks their hearts arnt in it, based on what they have read online or made up themselves, really probably doesnt have a clue whats going on.

Theres 5 guys, and from the sounds of it they are very excited to be working together again very soon. they are not rushing, they dont need to , but that doesnt mean its all over.

Does anyone except those close to the PJ guys know what is going on? ;) If Ed or anyone of the guys said they were not looking forward to getting back in the studio, then we'd have to worry. So they should be excited about it!