Options

Goth music

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,431
edited January 2013 in Other Music
Any goth fans?

Some great bands from the 80s...Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus, Joy Division.

There is a goth band in L.A. Called SPF 200.....most clever band name ever!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm not a big follower of goth music, but I do very much enjoy Bahaus and Joy Division.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I wouldn't say Joy Division is goth, but a great band.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Any goth fans?

Some great bands from the 80s...Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus, Joy Division.

Hells yes! I love me some Bauhaus and Nick of course, though it is unfair to throw him into any category. As much as I love Joy Division, and I do, (controversial statement alert!) I am a way bigger New Order fan. Best band besides PJ to form from another band, imo. I might be the only one, but I also think much of Depeche Mode's early music was pretty damn goth, and I've always thrown them in some of my gothtastic ipod playlists :lol:

Goth music doesn't depress me. It makes me happy :D
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    What, no goths on the PJ boards? :lol:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    What, no goths on the PJ boards? :lol:
    I'm not good with genres, but I'm sure there is some Goth to be found in my collection.
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    I might be the only one, but I also think much of Depeche Mode's early music was pretty damn goth, and I've always thrown them in some of my gothtastic ipod playlists :lol:
    I agree - 'Songs of Faith & Devotion'.. haven't listened to it for ages, thanks for the reminder of that lil gem :)
  • Options
    I might be the only one, but I also think much of Depeche Mode's early music was pretty damn goth, and I've always thrown them in some of my gothtastic ipod playlists :lol:
    I agree - 'Songs of Faith & Devotion'.. haven't listened to it for ages, thanks for the reminder of that lil gem :)

:thumbup:
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,431
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Any goth fans?

Hells yes! I love me some Bauhaus and Nick of course, though it is unfair to throw him into any category. As much as I love Joy Division, and I do, (controversial statement alert!) I am a way bigger New Order fan. Best band besides PJ to form from another band, imo. I might be the only one, but I also think much of Depeche Mode's early music was pretty damn goth, and I've always thrown them in some of my gothtastic ipod playlists :lol:

IMHO, New Order is very different from Joy Division........NO's music seems happier and perkier, so it is difficult to compare the 2 bands. Have you seen the Ian Curtis bio-pic?

A bit of useless trivia: Joy Division was named after a group of Jewish women whose role was to "provide joy" to Nazi officers during WWII. ;)

More useless trivia, and this is very grimm: Spandau Ballet got its name from the term used to describe the swinging motion of the bodies of those who were hanged by the Nazis at Spandau prison.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Any goth fans?

IMHO, New Order is very different from Joy Division........NO's music seems happier and perkier, so it is difficult to compare the 2 bands. Have you seen the Ian Curtis bio-pic?

A bit of useless trivia: Joy Division was named after a group of Jewish women whose role was to "provide joy" to Nazi officers during WWII. ;)

More useless trivia, and this is very grimm: Spandau Ballet got its name from the term used to describe the swinging motion of the bodies of those who were hanged by the Nazis at Spandau prison.

I didn't know any of that, interesting. And grim, you're right. I know the two bands are totally different, and both great. The thing I like about New Order is that they are happier, but they're music is often optimistic without being sappy, like Regret for example; It's such a sweet song. Not many bands can do that, I'm not usually a fan of happy music :lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    bluegrace wrote:
    I wouldn't say Joy Division is goth, but a great band.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    Sisters of Mercy classic goth
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    Goth-kids-at-the-talent-show-south-park-goth-kids-10383848-604-466-1-.jpg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Goth-kids-at-the-talent-show-south-park-goth-kids-10383848-604-466-1-.jpg

:lol: I love the goth kid episodes! "Did she step on your heart...with stiletto shoes?" "Hey Raven, check it out..."
  • Options
    SH17171 wrote:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SH17171 wrote:

Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKCLnHK0mM
  • Options
  • Options