Options

Your First Show...

2»

Comments

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    07/28/92 – Riverbend Music Center: Cincinnati, OH (Lollapalooza)
    set: Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Even Flow, Garden, Alive, Leash, Porch

:P
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    edited December 2012
    I waited many years for my first show then saw them 4 times in 8 days so it felt great to get some shows under my belt. Dublin was the first in 2010. Spent the time leading up to the show dreaming up setlists/opener etc and hoped for Sometimes or Release but when Ed walked up to the mike under dim blue lighting and strummed the opening chord to Long Road it felt like there wasn't another place in the world to be. I really wanted my first show to be full of hits and surprises and I wasn't disappointed. I got Once, Why Go, Severed Hand, Corduroy, Not For You, Even Flow, Alive, Betterman, GTF, DTE, Lukin, Small Town, Porch and Ledbetter. The sing-along parts were amazing, the crowd were great and I got surprises with Down, Kick Out The Jams, Arms Aloft and Of The Earth. I left the show utterly astounded and in huge anticipation for the next night in Belfast which ended up being one of those crazy setlists shows. Six shows down and I still have a lot to hear yet. Bring on the next tour.... :mrgreen:
    Post edited by veddertown on
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hartford 98

I think the Set got cut short because Ed told everyone to dance in the aisles. Massive rush from the grass to the stage.

DODGE MUSIC CENTER
    HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT
    Sun 13 September, 1998
    SET 1
    Corduroy
    Animal
    Hail, Hail
    Given To Fly
    I Got Id
    Go
    Dissident
    Tremor Christ
    Daughter
    Jeremy
    Even Flow
    Faithfull
    MFC
    Spin The Black Circle
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    ENCORE 1
    Brain Of J.
    Breath
    Rearviewmirror
    Better Man
    Alive
    Porch
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Hartford 98

I think the Set got cut short because Ed told everyone to dance in the aisles. Massive rush from the grass to the stage.

DODGE MUSIC CENTER
    HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT
    Sun 13 September, 1998
    SET 1
    Corduroy
    Animal
    Hail, Hail
    Given To Fly
    I Got Id
    Go
    Dissident
    Tremor Christ
    Daughter
    Jeremy
    Even Flow
    Faithfull
    MFC
    Spin The Black Circle
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    ENCORE 1
    Brain Of J.
    Breath
    Rearviewmirror
    Better Man
    Alive
    Porch

Yup. That was my 3rd show. First was Hartford 96 - 10/2/96.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Hartford 98

DODGE MUSIC CENTER
    HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT
    Sun 13 September, 1998
    SET 1
    Corduroy
    Animal
    Hail, Hail
    Given To Fly
    I Got Id
    Go
    Dissident
    Tremor Christ
    Daughter
    Jeremy
    Even Flow
    Faithfull
    MFC
    Spin The Black Circle
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    ENCORE 1
    Brain Of J.
    Breath
    Rearviewmirror
    Better Man
    Alive
    Porch

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for missing that show. I had a ticket and passed on it because of football practice. I think it was a thursday or something. if I missed that practice, I couldn't play during the saturday game. :fp: :fp: :fp:
    Amazing set list too.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    LloydXmas wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for missing that show. I had a ticket and passed on it because of football practice. I think it was a thursday or something. if I missed that practice, I couldn't play during the saturday game. :fp: :fp: :fp:
    Amazing set list too.

Yeah. And not to rub it in, but it was much better than the '98 show. '98 was good, but the '96 show was a highlight fest. Great setlist, talkative Ed, a few top tier versions (N4U in particular).
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

Amazing set list too.

Yeah. And not to rub it in, but it was much better than the '98 show. '98 was good, but the '96 show was a highlight fest. Great setlist, talkative Ed, a few top tier versions (N4U in particular).
    oh yeah. I have the boot and torture myself every few months or so.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    RhinoJam wrote:
    As I look back on my PJ years, I am still blown away by that first experience... I stumbled across this review today and wanted to share it... Memorial Stadium 10-4-96 (excellent set and show if you can get a copy)... what was your first show?

http://www.examiner.com/article/concert-flashback-pearl-jam-at-memorial-stadium-charlotte-nc-on-10-4-96

Sound check: Throw Your Arms Around Me, Better Man
    set: Long Road, Last Exit, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Hail Hail, In My Tree, Corduroy, Lukin, Not for You, Jeremy, Better Man, Red Mosquito, Black, State of Love and Trust, (MFC riffs), Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Alive, Porch
    enc 1:Who You Are, Even Flow, Whipping, I Got Shit, Leaving Here, Daughter
    enc 2:Yellow Ledbetter

Sweet baby Jesus what a day this was!!! My first as well. Glad you liked the article too!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    March 1994, New Regal Theater Chicago - fan club only show - still have the hand addressed envelope from 10c that my tickets came in

Played Hard to Imagine and Angel. If I recall, they played Yellow Ledbetter in the middle of the set.

1st of many shows :D
  • Options
    09/05/93 - Gorge Amphitheater: George, WA [87m]
    attendance: 19,000
    support act: Blind Melon
    supporting: Neil Young
    set: Go, Animal, Once, Even Flow, Dissident, Rearviewmirror, Garden, Blood, Jeremy, Why Go, Glorified G, Daughter/(Tonight's the Night), Alive, Black, State of Love and Trust, Porch/(Suck You Dry improv)
    enc: Sonic Reducer, Leash
    notes: The Gorge is a beautiful venue and this show begins in the daylight and ends in darkness. At one point, Ed suggests that everyone just sit down and watch the sunset because "... you don't get many of these." This show is pretty much the patented Vs show with little variation from the album versions of these songs except for a few lyrical flubs. Mike plays a little 'Yellow Ledbetter' teaser prior to 'Daughter.' Mudhoney's Mark Arm joins PJ for 'Sonic Reducer,' which is performed as an encore "... with Neil's permission." Ed references being embarrassed having accepted the MTV video award and says he wished he'd stayed home.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    As the avatar shows; August 22, 1998, Barrie, ON. My 20th birthday. Remains one of the best weekends of my life.

SET 1
    Corduroy
    Brain Of J.
    Hail, Hail
    Animal
    Dissident
    Given To Fly
    MFC
    Habit
    Wishlist
    Even Flow
    Daughter
    Surrender
    In Hiding
    Jeremy
    State Of Love And Trust
    Nothingman
    Better Man
    Leatherman
    Alive

ENCORE 1
    Immortality
    Rearviewmirror
    Last Exit
    Cinnamon Girl
    I Got Id
    Black
    Do The Evolution

ENCORE 2
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    lurkinlurkin Posts: 77
    11/6/95 - San Diego Sports Arena

so happy to have the original summer shows re-scheduled...thus began an incredible saga in my concert going history...totally hooked.

p.s. thanks PJ for giving me that opportunity to experience The Ramones...was so blown away the first night by them, I just couldn't wait for the next night...what a double bill, eh?
  • Options
    Beaverhausen209Beaverhausen209 Central Valley, CA Posts: 60
    June 24, 1995.

The infamous Polo Fields show.

I was 17 and my big brother bought me the tickets & took me, which was amazing because he hated PJ. First cool thing he ever did for me :)

It was miserably hot. His truck overheated on the drive in. The parking sucked so we had to walk in a good several miles. My feet had blisters. I had a wicked sunburn. Ed left early. I heard "Rockin' in the Free World" one too many times. But it was the best experience I had ever had. And a few weeks ago, nearly 20 years later, my brother said that the next PJ show I go to, he'd like to come. I can't wait :)
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Columbia MD, Sept 24, 1996. I just looked at my framed poster to check the date. I got the poster from the booth; they were out so I asked if I could buy the display. Maybe 15 bucks?

I went with a buddy from school and his friends. I bought the extra lawn ticket. Here's where it gets good...

I worked my plan...I waited up by the ticket checkers to get down to the seats...then, as soon as pearl jam started there was a mad rush...I joined the masses and confidently held up my ticket and I was waved through!!

Then, I kept doing the same thing until I was about 10 rows back. I worked my way a little closer and "it was on"!!

I will never forget the smell of the incense and the simple candles up on stage. Ed stopped immortality and they ripped into corduroy. I remember Ed burning his wine cork on a candle and rubbing the black on his face during mankind. I was digging them before but this show made me dig them more. I quickly joined 10 club and have been to ever show possible since.

:?
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Ft. Bend County Fairgrounds (Houston)---Lollapalooza 1992. I was 14 & completely blown away.

Nice! I was in like 4rth grade I think. :mrgreen: Must have been cool to see them at such a young age. Bet the crowd was wild. :P
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Twostep2000RVMTwostep2000RVM Posts: 95
    edited January 2013
    Camden 1 2003

Cant Keep
    Brain of J
    Save You
    Do the Evolution
    Spin the Black Circle
    Green Disease
    Cropduster
    Given to Fly
    Even Flow
    Wishlist
    Rockin In the Free World
    1/2 Full
    Love Boat Captain
    Breathe
    I Believe In Miracles
    Corduroy
    RVM

Last Exit
    Betterman
    Down
    Black
    Blood

Hide Your Love Away
    Last Kiss
    Baba OReilly
    Ledbetter

great show. its ashame so many dislike it.
    Post edited by Twostep2000RVM on
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
  • Options
    Merriweather Post 9-24-96
    The thing I remember the most was thinking "What the hell? I've NEVER heard a crowd sing this loud"
    I was sitting on the lawn and couldn't see anything. May have seen the top of Ed's head a couple of times, but that was it! But it was, by far, the best concert I NEVER saw.
    From that day forward, I was hooked!

Long Road Black
    Hail Hail Habit
    Animal RVM
    Spin the Black Circle Betterman
    In My Tree Whipping
    Corduroy State of Love and Trust
    Not for You Alive
    Jeremy Blood
    Red Mosquito Who U Are
    Evenflow Daughter
    Mankind Leaving Here
    Wash Yellow Led
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374

god f'kin dam I'm old

:fp:

and all tours and some since 1998
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:

god f'kin dam I'm old

:fp:

and all tours and some since 1998

1991? thats incredible.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
  • Options
    Albany 06
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    Gorge 2 '06. Should have seen them earlier but I made up for it by attending some special shows the last few years.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    BLOSSOM MUSIC CENTER
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Wed 26 August, 1998

SET 1
    Hail, Hail
    Animal
    Given To Fly
    Corduroy
    MFC
    Immortality
    Footsteps
    Even Flow
    Jeremy
    In Hiding
    Daughter
    W.M.A.
    Brain Of J.
    Rearviewmirror
    Better Man
    Wishlist
    Alive

ENCORE 1
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Do The Evolution
    Leatherman
    Black
    Baba O'Riley
    Yellow Ledbetter

Iggy Pop opened and we walked into the venue to see him freak out on a guy in the front row. He dropped his pants and showed this guys his ass, lol!! hilarious!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    No tags on anything except for an extended version of Wishlist. I think the MP3 is about 8 minutes. :) "Start me up" was during the middle of the song:

...my friends don't call...my friends don't... *cough*.... call me doctor... (as Ed was getting over a cold)
    ....if you start me up...start me up I'll never stop...if you rub me up... rub me up, I'll blow my top...you'll make a dead man cum....make a dead man cum...
    All that's sacred comes from youth

06/24/03 – Germain Amphitheater: Columbus, OH

support act: Buzzcocks

set: Can’t Keep, Daughter, 1/2 Full, Go, Save You, Ghost, Better Man, Grievance, Evacuation, Even Flow, In Hiding, Cropduster, Corduroy, Elderly Woman, Red Mosquito, improv, Rearviewmirror
    enc 1: Given To Fly, Wishlist, Not For You/(Start Me Up), Footsteps, Do The Evolution, Jeremy
    enc 2: Fuckin’ Up
    enc 3: Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: Ed thanks the people in the back after ‘Elderly Woman’ and makes a quip about the 17-year locusts. He mentions a request for Mike, leading to a bit bit of Zep riffing (‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine’) between Matt and Mike before ‘Red Mosquito.’ Ed talks about being ready to do the song if he “… can just shift himself” (Robert Plant reference). The improv is about Ohio and “Me oh my oh, lost in Ohio … I’m in Ohio high oh … just making my way through Ohio where the sky is and the roads are long … went back to Ohio and my city was gone” (nod to Pretenders). At the start of the encore, Ed thanks the Buzzcocks and talks about watching a video where a band was pretending to be a punk band and he thanks the “real thing,” the Buzzcocks. “Buzzcocks were opening for the Sex Pistols before I was fondling my first erection,” and he talks of how he met them a long time ago when he was a crew guy carrying their gear. “You never know how things will turn out.” ‘Wishlist’ has an extended instrumental ending with additional lyrics:”I wish I was this, I wish I was that; I wish I could do this, I wish I could do that … they don’t care about you, they don’t care about me; they just care about money money money money money … there ain’t no love in Washington DC anymore, but there’s love here, in your houses and your homes … when you’re singing alone … use it like a weapon, a weapon of mass construction.” This leads to a ‘Not For You’ intro: “… so it’s not for you, its for them.” Ed tags a little of “Start Me Up” in the middle, asking for a little background (“if you start me up, I’ll never stop … you make a dead man cum”). Ed says, “Threw in a a song by the Folksmen, there …” (joking about the Spinal Tap spin off band known for performing a sanitized, folk version of the Rolling Stones’ ‘Start Me Up’). “Don’t know if you recognized it. Don’t know if you’ll understand this next one, too. It goes early early early as we go … certainly not one raped on the radio or anything,” leading to Footsteps. During ‘DTE,’ “I am the first man to act like Elvis” as he is wearing the crazy Elvis sunglasses. Ed introduces the band and says they will be doing a song written by Mr. Neil Young, adding “This is George W’s favorite song, leading to ‘Fuckin’ Up.’ They return for a surprising third encore with Ed noting, “You can thank Mr. Stone Gossard for this one,” and they close with ‘YL.’

---

People were LEAVING before Ledbetter! I told my buddy that I didn't think they were done and we should stay. I was right. :)

For one of the encores, Ed came back onto the stage via skateboard. :)

Was here too but not my 1st show. I remember how sick Ed was :-( I have that poster framed in my bedroom :-)
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    It was August of '91 and I was visiting my brother who lives in Mukilteo, WA. I had the Mother Love Bone album and knew, from Rolling Stone, of a new band forming from their remnants. My brother had heard of a free show so we went down to the Mural Amphitheater and experienced their awesomeness. I was hooked.

http://youtu.be/hKFzoSWKnzg
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    My parents would not let me go to the show at the AJ Palumbo Center back in 1991 :nono: sooo....

My first show was a few years later in Buffalo on October 1,1996.

wUrDo.jpg

Such a beautiful ticket!
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    Mine was Lollapalooza 1992 in Denver. PJ was the second or third band to come on early in the day and they whipped the crowd into a frenzy early on. Here's the setlist....I will say that Soundgarden was pretty damn good that day as well....

FIDDLER'S GREEN AMPHITHEATRE

Denver, Colorado

Sat 25 July, 1992

SET 1 INCOMPLETE
    Even Flow
    Why Go
    Alive
    Jeremy
    State Of Love And Trust
    Porch
    Rockin' In The Free World
  • Options
    Faithful_1Faithful_1 Glasgow Posts: 172
    Mines was the 3rd of June 2000 at the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre (SECC) in my home town of Glasgow. They were supported by The Vandals.

soundcheck: jam (Mike & Stone), Insignificance, Timeless Melody, Leatherman x2, Present Tense, Rival x2, Evacuation, Soon Forget

set: Sometimes, Breakerfall, Corduroy, Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Grievance, Nothing As It Seems, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Daughter, Untitled, MFC, Habit, Better Man Present Tense, State Of Love And Trust, Rearviewmirror

enc 1: Brain of J, Do The Evolution, Light Years, Elderly Woman, Last Kiss, Once

enc 2: Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter

I've seen the several times since and everytime they've been much better than they were that night. At the time I thought they were incredible. With the benefit of hindsight and listening to the bootleg, I think that they weren't great that night. It's probably just the year 2000 version of Ed, but he was quite introvert and surly.

I'd love them to come back. It's been 13 years!!! I've travelled to a good number of shows in Europe and probably will continue to do so, but for the love of God i wish they'd play Glasgow again! The SECC is an infamously bad venue in terms of the sound, so perhaps this is what puts them off? The city is building a new arena with the capacity of around 15,000 and it should be open this year. It would be a perfect setting for a PJ show! :)
    SECC - Jun 03, 2000
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Reading Festival - Aug 27, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    ISS Dome - Jun 21, 2007
    MEN - Aug 17, 2009
    Odyssey - Jun 23, 2010
    Wuhlheide - Jun 30, 2010
    MEN - Jun 20, 2012
    MEN - Jun 21, 2012
    Leeds - Jul 8, 2014
  • Options
    lyearslyears Posts: 212
    London 2010 - mostly a greatest hits setlist but it was my first show so it worked out fine for me :D it was an incredible experience, pretty stoked they opened with given to fly too, that was a surprise
    Hyde Park 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14
  • Options
    My first show was in Austin - PJ, RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins, but as I was there because of a guy and not the bands I don't really count it.

Now the first show I went to just for PJ (well not JUST for but they were one of the reasons) was Houston Lollapalooza - an amazing experience. Back when the 'pit' was a bunch of people who wanted to have a good time, unlike later years where it became beat the ever lasting crap out of anyone you can.

I helped hold up EV when he dove into the crowd :D but prob my most memorable moment was waiting for Ministry to come on, and my best friend and I were waiting about 3 people back from the barricade when we noticed we were the only girls in sight. As we were looking around debating to move, the guys around us said 'Don't worry, we won't let anything happen to you two' and they didn't. I wonder where they are now...hope they are well!