Options

Mad Season 'Above' Deluxe Edition and LP Info

Comments

• Options
    This is $37.38 on Amazon, they have a March 13, 2013 release date. Same description as here.
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    red mos wrote:
    Almost bought, but I am holding off. I want to know exactly what the package entails before I spend the money, it's a pretty high price. Really hoping the dvd is the Moore theater show, and not just rehearsal/ studio footage only. . April is a long ways away too. 8-)

Really? Two CDs and a DVD for $25 sounds like great value to me. Man I'd get mine pre-ordered as you never know what they will announce whether its limited or whatever.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Mango wrote:
    red mos wrote:
    Almost bought, but I am holding off. I want to know exactly what the package entails before I spend the money, it's a pretty high price. Really hoping the dvd is the Moore theater show, and not just rehearsal/ studio footage only. . April is a long ways away too. 8-)

Really? Two CDs and a DVD for $25 sounds like great value to me. Man I'd get mine pre-ordered as you never know what they will announce whether its limited or whatever.

yep...i'd have spent $20 on the dvd alone...(i know, i know...blah,blah,blah, we don't know if its the complete show, but so what)
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    pjradio wrote:
    Mango wrote:
    red mos wrote:

yep...i'd have spent $20 on the dvd alone...(i know, i know...blah,blah,blah, we don't know if its the complete show, but so what)

Without shipping I think it's a hair high, but once you add that in it's really high. Most music dvds are pretty discounted these days. I paid less for the the recent Zeppelin cd/bluray set.

Waiting for word on the vinyl.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Without shipping I think it's a hair high, but once you add that in it's really high.

i ordered a bunch of little things along with it, so shipping wasn't/isn't gonna be that bad
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Shipping down under is pretty damn cheap from 10c so its all good. I'm looking forward to this now 8-)
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    hostis wrote:
    ordered - chuffed to bits :)

already have the vinyl and no record player so don't need ANOTHER album I own and wont open or spin
    You should get a record player!!! ;)

I'm sure I will come up against many here but I don't rate vinyl. I collect it sure because it looks nicer but to be able to get better sound from vinyl than cd I find it costs too much. I have a semi decent stereo but vinyl through it sounds poorer than playing CDs.
  • Options
    hostis wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    hostis wrote:
    ordered - chuffed to bits :)

already have the vinyl and no record player so don't need ANOTHER album I own and wont open or spin
    You should get a record player!!! ;)

I'm sure I will come up against many here but I don't rate vinyl. I collect it sure because it looks nicer but to be able to get better sound from vinyl than cd I find it costs too much. I have a semi decent stereo but vinyl through it sounds poorer than playing CDs.

all in the stylus/cartridge
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    mipmip Posts: 33
    How many of you already pre-ordered this?

I want to, but if this isn't limited then its better to buy in local store. Just to skip waiting time to Sweden.

Wish 10c could give us more info? Please?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    mip wrote:
    How many of you already pre-ordered this?

I want to, but if this isn't limited then its better to buy in local store. Just to skip waiting time to Sweden.

Wish 10c could give us more info? Please?

I preordered. Can't go wrong with only a $3.30 shipping cost charge to Canada.
    It doesn't say limited edition so there will be many of these copies passed around for a while.

Now to stand by & wait for promo copies & country manufactured versions of this release ... :angel:
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I will be very disappointed if there is no vinyl plans for this reissue.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I will be very disappointed if there is no vinyl plans for this reissue.

Let's cross our fingers this .. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-104222-mad ... rt-lp.aspx .. will come true.
  • Options
    I wonder how coincidental it is that the release date is around the same date that Layne passed away - it will be 11 years in 2013.

Bit frustrating that exact details aren't released for something you're expected to pay 4 months in advance for, although to be fair we can guess what 80% of it will be. Doesn't say if any re-mixing/mastering has been done either.
    Will be great to finally get the Moore show on DVD though.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    I wonder what audio formats will be available on the DVD. It would be nice to have it in Blu-Ray just to have the master audio from that show.
  • Options
    I have nowhere to play a vinyl but I would appreciate one, the whole album sounds like a fairy tale and it definitely brings some of us to their childhood so I will definitely order this one! I hope Pearl Jam will do a cover of at least one song too!
  • Options
    Here's A LOT more info about the release from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Above-Deluxe-Edit ... FIZL2L3SP5

Above (Deluxe Edition) is a three-disc set comprised of two CDs and one DVD.

CD 1 features the original album + an unreleased acoustic instrumental titled "Interlude," 3 new songs from the band's unfinished second album with newly recorded vocals and lyrics by Mark Lanegan and a remixed version of the band's John Lennon cover "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier"

CD 2 features the full audio set from the bands historical performance at the Moore Theater in Seattle on April 29, 1995, remastered in stereo sound.

The DVD features the first official DVD release of Live at The Moore, remixed and remastered and newly edited by director Duncan Sharp. Also featured is a full concert of the bands performance from New Years Eve 1995 at RKCNDY in Seattle and both performances from Self-Pollution Radio, one newly edited.

**A full-color collector's booklet features previously unseen performance photographs and an essay by Barret Martin reflecting on the lives of Staley and Saunders and the history of the band.**

It's very nice to know these AWESOME details ;)
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    guessing the DVD is the 4/29/95 Moore Show
    I think it was pretty obvious, but now it's confirmed! :D
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    The DVD features the first official DVD release of Live at The Moore, remixed and remastered and newly edited by director Duncan Sharp. Also featured is a full concert of the bands performance from New Years Eve 1995 at RKCNDY in Seattle and both performances from Self-Pollution Radio, one newly edited.

Remixed, remastered, and newly edited? Granted, it's been awhile since I've put Live At The Moore in the ol' VCR, but I certainly don't remember it needing anything new. I thought it was great the way it was. I hope the changes don't screw it up.

Very cool that it will contain another full performance plus the SPR.
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,582
    I wish they released full Live At The Moore on vinyl. RSD 2013 maybe?
  • Options

Remixed, remastered, and newly edited? Granted, it's been awhile since I've put Live At The Moore in the ol' VCR, but I certainly don't remember it needing anything new. I thought it was great the way it was. I hope the changes don't screw it up.

Very cool that it will contain another full performance plus the SPR.

Hope not the newly edited part means they've cut parts from the original...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Oh wow, sounds awesome
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options

CD 1 features the original album + an unreleased acoustic instrumental titled "Interlude," 3 new songs from the band's unfinished second album with newly recorded vocals and lyrics by Mark Lanegan and a remixed version of the band's John Lennon cover "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier"

CD 2 features the full audio set from the bands historical performance at the Moore Theater in Seattle on April 29, 1995, remastered in stereo sound.

**A full-color collector's booklet features previously unseen performance photographs and an essay by Barret Martin reflecting on the lives of Staley and Saunders and the history of the band.**

Awesome details indeed!! :D

Now if only they could release a Blu-ray version of Live at The Moore. :think:
  • Options
    I enjoy Live at the Moore very, very much, but I wish it wasn't as chopped up as it is...seems to be a fair amount of overdubbing...many spots where the audio and video do not match up...especially in regards to Mr. McCready's solos on I don't know anything........but the footage of them doing the aforementioned for Monkeywrench....Christ man...that solo rips my face of Mike!!!!!!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I still hope the DVD is the COMPLETE Moore show, but great to know that we'll at least have the complete audio!
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,106
    demetrios wrote:

Now if only they could release a Blu-ray version of Live at The Moore. :think:

While I completely agree that it would be awesome to have the Moore concert on bluray, I don't think its technically possible. Most concerts in the later 70s/80s/90s/early 00s were filmed on video tape. Film was expensive and rarely used for filming shows.

It's why gem's like Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same are such standouts. It's very rare a live concert got put on film. In that cause I think it was because it was meant for theatrical release. There's a few others from other bands out there. Like Nirvana had one concert from their entire career on film and it was only on 16mm so the bluray isn't the greatest (But better than nothing).

So I would put the odds of a Mad Season bluray at very slim.

That being said when I watching the PJ20 bluray I was amazed at how good Pearl Jam's showbox footage looked! How come that isn't on bluray! :) I think it was being filmed for the music videos. I'd love to see a full release of that.

So maybe if PJ's moore show as shot on film so was mad season's. It's just so rare that concert's were put on film, which makes putting historical shows on bluray a very rare event :(
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    I hope the new edit just gets rid of all the kaleidoscope effects during the show.

Know there are some feedback issues during a few songs (all that were cut from original release). Still hope the slight imperfections from the show don't keep them from sharing the complete show.

Also wondering if RKCNDY will be pro or audience shot??? There were a couple clips that Laynes buddy posted on youtube a few years back, but they were shot from the balcony. Regardless, I am looking forward to this release, I still remember picking up Above the day it was released.
  • Options

I was just coming here to ask the question if Interlude was going to be included. Awesome!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

I was just coming here to ask the question if Interlude was going to be included. Awesome!
    Awesome is right! I can't wait for this release :D

It just gets better with each detail that comes out!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    You're welcome...

Preorders for the Above Deluxe Edition begin on January 7, 2013 at select retailers. The Deluxe Edition, and a separate digital configuration, will be available Tuesday, April 2, 2013. In addition, there will be a 12" 2LP expanded edition vinyl available on Record Store Day, April 20 th 2013.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    In addition, there will be a 12" 2LP expanded edition vinyl available on Record Store Day, April 20 th 2013.
    Someone said.... LP?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: