Options

The end of PJ b-sides, 1991-2003??

DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
edited December 2012 in The Porch
whatever happened to PJ b-sides? The last one was Other Side on Save You single (2003).
The band has not released a b-side or outtake for any record in 10 years since Riot Act. (not counting Of the Earth live debut in 2010)
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    I think digital downloads killed the B-sides for Pearl Jam, or at least played a role in it. I don't know if other bands still do B-sides like PJ used to. Would be interested to hear.

The band is obviously slowing down since 2003 so perhaps they aren't recording that many songs, and the ones they don't use they plan on carrying forward. We got Ole though.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    I was collecting CD singles and had noticed that no official cd singles were release for avacodo (so I ended up buy promo copies which of course had no b-sides). Backspacer did have two singles go to cd in europe but not north america (and a 3rd on vinyl). I guess that doesn't widespread enough to warrant b-sides :(

I suppose the death of the cd single sort of kills the bside. I don't think bsides are that prevalent on itunes? Most of the new artists have a hard enough time making an album worth of quality songs, let alone bsides.. lol.

I guess its another piece of history.

We'll probably get a lost dogs II and st some point with the left over songs from the last few albums.
  • Options
    whatever happened to PJ b-sides? The last one was Other Side on Save You single (2003).
    The band has not released a b-side or outtake for any record in 10 years since Riot Act. (not counting Of the Earth live debut in 2010)

They dont write enough songs...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    I was collecting CD singles and had noticed that no official cd singles were release for avacodo (so I ended up buy promo copies which of course had no b-sides). Backspacer did have two singles go to cd in europe but not north america (and a 3rd on vinyl). I guess that doesn't widespread enough to warrant b-sides :(

I suppose the death of the cd single sort of kills the bside. I don't think bsides are that prevalent on itunes? Most of the new artists have a hard enough time making an album worth of quality songs, let alone bsides.. lol.

I guess its another piece of history.

We'll probably get a lost dogs II and st some point with the left over songs from the last few albums.

I see LOADS of b-sides on itunes. Whenever an artist/band releases a single, I'd say 45% of the time they release a non-album track with it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Speed of Sound (Ed solo demo from Backspacer sessions)
    Ole
    Slow Lukin
    Of The Earth

but no, no proper b-side release.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    I also see tons of band releasing b-sides through iTunes or Amazon. PJ obviously don't have anything worth releasing or don't care about it anymore.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I also see tons of band releasing b-sides through iTunes or Amazon. PJ obviously don't have anything worth releasing or don't care about it anymore.
    Being a Jack White fan also..i'm glad he still releases b-sides on vinyl and digitally through iTunes. But many others release b-sides, but I guess PJ just hasn't wanted to lately.
  • Options
    MedozK wrote:
    Being a Jack White fan also..i'm glad he still releases b-sides on vinyl and digitally through iTunes. But many others release b-sides, but I guess PJ just hasn't wanted to lately.

It takes Jake the same amount of time to cook up a nice tune as Pear Jam takes to skype a get together...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    They might be saving the extra songs in case they need a quick cash infusion by releasing Lost Dogs #2.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    im glad of the earth was a b side (well sort of b side)i think it was a load of shit personally!we all need a new album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think the lack of bsides is indicative of their dedication as a studio act these days.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    This is very sad to me... I used to love diggin up b-sides along the way.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746

It sucks the artists are releasing their B-Sides on an inferior product. The MP3!! Least release them in superior Flac / Ape / SHN digital audio format if they don't want to press their B-Sides on CD / Vinyl / 8-Track tapes.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    I am waiting for Lost Dogs 2 with all the b-sides for Advocado and Backspacer.
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo France Posts: 310
    1996-PARIS
    2000-PARIS
    2006-ANVERS-MARSEILLE-PARIS
    2007-LONDRES-NIJMEGEN-WERCHTER
    2008-ED SOLO-LOS ANGELES1-LOS ANGELES2
    2009-LONDRES
    2010-DUBLIN-ARRAS
    2012-AMSTERDAM1-ARRAS-STOCKHOLM-OSLO-COPENHAGUE
    2014-MILAN
    2017-ED SOLO-AMSTERDAM1
    2018-ROME
    2022-PARIS-AMSTERDAM1(Canceled)-AMSTERDAM2
    2024-BERLIN1-BERLIN2-BARCELONE1-BARCELONE2
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    demetrios wrote:

It sucks the artists are releasing their B-Sides on an inferior product. The MP3!! Least release them in superior Flac / Ape / SHN digital audio format if they don't want to press their B-Sides on CD / Vinyl / 8-Track tapes.

At least they are releasing something....

There's just no mainstream place to get lossless files. Maybe someday Apple and Amazon will begin to offer that as an option.
  • Options
    Like I said Lost Dogs 2.

These were some of the songs (they supposedly) recorded at some time. It is not a complete list, but does indicate there is much more out there. Some songs could have been changed later though under a different title:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=194748
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    good question
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    3 years 3 months since Backspacer (36 minutes)...are we at the end of A sides?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    pjradio wrote:
    good question
    better question
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options

To quote Einstein: time is relative. (Well, he never literally said this, but you get the drift.) Rather a good short song, than a long bad one.
  • Options
    MedozK wrote:

Gotta love Jack White and all of the Third Man Records vinyl stuff.
    Jack is sure doing his part to keep "b-sides" alive.