Options

Cool speech by Vedder in Denver - Band longevity

Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Transcribed from official boot after Evenflow (to the best of my ability):

Eddie: ...This is the last night that we're, uh, we're on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker train. And uh, we've barnstormed a few of your cities and, uh, we've...we've had a great, great time doing it. And it's been great to be around a band that's been together for thirty years and sounds as good as ever, if not better. And a little bit of wisdom, in the late night hours, and uh, I think that's gonna keep us going for the next 15 years.

I was talking to a guy, uh, before the show tonight and, uh, he works with another group that's been around that's been around almost that many years, I think. And uh, and I, he said something that I totally agree in. You can't be a band and do this and keep continuing this long unless you're absolutely best mates. And uh, I just want to toast my best mates up here. I don't know how we've done it, but we've done it so far. Some people are harder to put up with than others. (points hand over head and downward toward himself) So I'm really proud to be part of this group, and this crew and this family and everything. I just wanted to say it openly. There it is. Thank you...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Good ole boy!

The fact he gestured towards himself shows that contrary to what some people believe, he aint really an egotistical guy...
  • Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Transcribed from official boot after Evenflow (to the best of my ability):

Eddie: ...This is the last night that we're, uh, we're on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker train. And uh, we've barnstormed a few of your cities and, uh, we've...we've had a great, great time doing it. And it's been great to be around a band that's been together for thirty years and sounds as good as ever, if not better. And a little bit of wisdom, in the late night hours, and uh, I think that's gonna keep us going for the next 15 years.

I was talking to a guy, uh, before the show tonight and, uh, he works with another group that's been around that's been around almost that many years, I think. And uh, and I, he said something that I totally agree in. You can't be a band and do this and keep continuing this long unless you're absolutely best mates. And uh, I just want to toast my best mates up here. I don't know how we've done it, but we've done it so far. Some people are harder to put up with than others. (points hand over head and downward toward himself) So I'm really proud to be part of this group, and this crew and this family and everything. I just wanted to say it openly. There it is. Thank you...

I got some of that on a video on photobucket.com, with other pics of the show. I listed in in the Concert photos thread...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=190424&page=8
  • Options
    UnevenflowUnevenflow Posts: 19
    I think it is great that you added the "uh's"... Thanks
  • Options
    OTOTOOTOTO New York, NY Posts: 190
    Unevenflow wrote:
    I think it is great that you added the "uh's"... Thanks

Hahaha. I loved that too. Not a true Vedder speech w/o the "uh's". You can just hear his voice when those are added in.
    Great speech overall. Good to know the band is enjoying themselves.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    Mates...I love Mates...I'm going to use that word instead of friends from now on!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Where is this speech from, show 1 or show 2? I downloaded the boot, but haven't had a chance to listen to it. I want to go directly to it. Thanks.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Where is this speech from, show 1 or show 2? I downloaded the boot, but haven't had a chance to listen to it. I want to go directly to it. Thanks.

It's from the 2nd night. After Evenflow.
  • Options
    QuadrupleDekeQuadrupleDeke Boston Posts: 168
    If they've got 15 years left in 'em, then so do I.
    7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18
  • Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    I think that's gonna keep us going for the next 15 years.
    Sounds good to me :D