why has boston become seattle east

jackrabbit slimjackrabbit slim Posts: 560
edited September 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Can anybody hip me to the reason why boston keeps getting these awesome shows. It seems to me it is like their east coast seattle. Is there some band history there? let me know you lucky bostonians!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I of course, can only speculate, but here are some theories:

1) the history of shows here. the 1994 garden shows right after kurt cobain died, the show at the orpheum that ed mentions every time he's here, etc.
    2) the fact that everyone in boston seems to love pearl jam. the radio stations love them, etc.
    3) the political climate. liberal college students/graduates.
    4) in recent years, ed's friendship with theo epstein
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    cause it's the home of the
    Bostonlou
    VoteGirl

JOJO

Trebmal

and last but not least the Boston 2 Puker
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • I might be biased because I live in MA, but I can say that having been to shows in Hartford, New Orleans, Devore, CA, and Albany, (and the rest of the shows I've been to have been Mansfield, MA or Boston, MA)...I can honestly say that the audience in Massachusetts has MUCH, MUCH love for Pearl Jam. More so than the what I've seen in other states.

Pearl Jam feeds off the positive crowd energy that we create....they know we love them, and I think that really makes them want to do their best for us.

That's my thought, anyway.

:)
    8/7/92, 4/12/94,10/2/96,9/15/98, 8/29/00,8/30/00,10/28/00,4/8/03,4/29/03, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/25/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/20/10, 9/7/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, 12/6/13, 4/8/16, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/6/22, 5/7/22
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    because we always lose our minds whenever they come into town
  • TI LEAVESTI LEAVES Posts: 9
    loyal fanbase
    Boston has PASSION!!!!!
    running out of time...meet me on the moon
  • PlaLEashPlaLEash Posts: 75
    Easy

WE LOVE THEM

THEY KNOW IT !!
  • the power in the room the last couple of nights was something that couldn't be denied. there's a force, something that makes them want to come back over and over again, a force that defies gravity, nature, and physics alltogether. i have to study physics now, dammit!
  • whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    because what they all said...
    the only thing i'd add would be that when they started they played a lot of colleges to get their name out there and with many colleges in hte area they may have become acostom to the city. plus we appreciate them a ton and they send it right back. who ever said we have PASSION is dam on the money, we have it for hte Sox, the C's hte Pats, adn PEARL JAM!!
    peace
  • jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    And don't forget that Howard Zinn teaches around here. He always dedicates "Down" to him.

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    jojo wrote:
    Bostonlou
    VoteGirl

JOJO

Trebmal

eddie loves my schwety balls :)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    jojo wrote:
    Bostonlou
    VoteGirl

JOJO

Trebmal

guess i'm not qualified for your list. Shame!
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    guess i'm not qualified for your list. Shame!

she afraid of you... she heard about you in camden
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • UnevenflowUnevenflow Posts: 19
    The fans in Boston are the reason!!! I have been to numerous shows and the Boston shows are definitely my favorites! The band feeds off the energy!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    Boston has a reputation as one of the better concert cities in the U.S.

Not just for Pearl Jam, though clearly the band is extremely well received here, and appreciates it and responds with great shows.
    Ed has commented onstage about various aspects of the city and said he could see himself living in a place like this.

Adam Clayton of U2 has been quoted as saying Boston was U2's home away from home, it was the first US city to really embrace them and hasn't stopped.
    Its probably Springsteen's strongest market outside of the NY/NJ/Philly area.
    The Stones have made a point to start their last 2 tours here.
    Boston sells a lot of concert tickets relative to the size of the city. Its a better draw than some much larger cities, say Houston for example. Music does well here, and the fanbase is enthusiastic and vocal.

The large college population is a factor in it. But Its a lot more than just that.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I've been to 6 Seattle shows and 2 Boston shows. The crowds are polar opposites with Boston the easy winner. Boston converted me. Even if I still lived in Seattle I would go to Boston over Seattle Key Arena.

Now, the Gorge, I hear that's a different story. . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • MelissaphishMelissaphish Posts: 150
    Can anybody hip me to the reason why boston keeps getting these awesome shows. It seems to me it is like their east coast seattle. Is there some band history there? let me know you lucky bostonians!

IMO, it is just Boston....we have this huge music history, and many many many bands love to play for us. We love music, and musicians love us. It's not just Pearl Jam - Phish, Grateful Dead, Springsteen, Jimmy Buffet, the Allman Brothers, the Stones - they all love Boston.

Just lucky I guess *blush*
    Boston Garden 5/25/06
    Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Madison Square Garden 6/24/08 and 6/25/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The answers are fatal......
  • Can anybody hip me to the reason why boston keeps getting these awesome shows. It seems to me it is like their east coast seattle. Is there some band history there? let me know you lucky bostonians!
    i think the East coast Seattle Title can be split between Philly and boston

both Metropolitan Areas have received epic shows in the past six years

Boston AREA:
    Mansfield August 29, 2000
    Mansfield August 30, 2000
    Mansfield july 1 ,2003
    Mansfield July 2, 2003
    Mansfield July 11, 2003
    Boston Sept 28, 2004
    Boston Sept 29, 2004
    Boston May 24, 2006
    Boston May 25, 2006

Philadelphia AREA
    Camden Sept 1, 2000
    Camden Sept 2, 2000
    Philadelphia April 28, 2003
    Camden july 5, 2003
    Camden July 6,2003
    Reading Oct 1, 2004
    Atlantic city Sept30, 2005
    Atlantic city Oct 1, 2005
    Philadelphia Oct 3, 2005
    Camden May 27, 2006
    Camden MAy 28, 2006
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • ive always thought that Boston and Philly were polar opposites even tho both always get great shows.

Boston - intelligent PJ town. maybe THE most intelligent US PJAM crowd. they go NUTS for the rarities and the band knows it. Boston never gets "normal" shows. seem to be a very caring, appreciative crowd. very rare to see. cool atmosphere.

Philly - a lot more...uh wild....and drunk. its more like a huge party and PJ is the house band...which is why you see 26,000 acting like world peace broke out when Jeremy gets played.....and people slam dancing when Off He Goes is played...its very odd. Philly can get pretty scary, but also exciting.

Philly is the louder, wilder crowd usually, but Boston probably sells more bootlegs everyyear.
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    IMO,
    Chicago has just as much to brag about as Boston...

I have a trade buddy from there and , as he points out,
    the band makes every Chicago date special..
    ex:
    The famous 1992 and 1994 club appearances and the 1995 Soldiers Field show..

Eddie's birth place..

last years "House of Blues" performance ...

They got "Hard to Imagine" and "Crown of thorns"...this tour

just want to point out to the Boston folks, let's not get too full of ourselves here..

Lots of PJ love to go around..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    Guys,
    lets leave it like this,
    there are 5 areas of the country that get "special" shows.

philly
    boston
    new york
    chicago
    seattle

after seeing shows in philly new york and boston. boston easily takes the cake as far as crowds go.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Guys,
    lets leave it like this,

philly
    boston
    new york
    chicago
    seattle

after seeing shows in philly new york and boston. boston easily takes the cake as far as crowds go.

being from ny i completely agree.
    cant forget randalls island 96 II, msg 98 II, jones beach 00 III, uniondale 03 was insane and well of course we all know aboput both 03 msg shows. i think all five of those cities are up there. philly, chicago (soldiers field), etc.
    is it ok to blend gorge to seattle?
  • elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    New York's better. we get the DVD made there! BOO YA!

although I went to Boston 1 last week and it kicked ass, with a Yankees hat on to boot.
  • coutchboycoutchboy Posts: 15
    One word: Passion. Look at how we root for the Sox.

This has been the case for quite a while--as long as I have been going to sporting events/concerts. I remember bands coming to the "old" Garden and the Providence Civic Center and they would always turn it up a notch because the crowds were so passionate.

One time Billy C. of Smashing Pumkins even apologized for Smashing Pumpkin not bring their A-game (the show was on an airstrip in Rhode Island). They were literally embarassed.

There are other American cities that have passion too. New York, Philly on the right night, and Chicago too. I'm not a social scientist so can't quantify a reason. It is what it is. (Maybe its the level of beer consumption)
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Poncier wrote:
    Boston has a reputation as one of the better concert cities in the U.S.

Not just for Pearl Jam, though clearly the band is extremely well received here, and appreciates it and responds with great shows.
    Ed has commented onstage about various aspects of the city and said he could see himself living in a place like this.

Adam Clayton of U2 has been quoted as saying Boston was U2's home away from home, it was the first US city to really embrace them and hasn't stopped.
    Its probably Springsteen's strongest market outside of the NY/NJ/Philly area.
    The Stones have made a point to start their last 2 tours here.
    Boston sells a lot of concert tickets relative to the size of the city. Its a better draw than some much larger cities, say Houston for example. Music does well here, and the fanbase is enthusiastic and vocal.

The large college population is a factor in it. But Its a lot more than just that.

Great (old) post Poncier!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Screw Boston, It's about Detroit baby!
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it's the baked beans.
  • Guys,
    lets leave it like this,

philly
    boston
    new york
    chicago
    seattle

philly????

PHILLY??????

do those camden shows the last 2 tours count as philly????

cuz those shows sucked monkey balls.........

especially the camden twins of 2003........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....