Options

Cool little story about Ed's explanation of Porch.

ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
edited January 2013 in The Porch
In the little get together after the show last night, someone next to us asked Eddie if Porch and Black were about the same person. He said no...that it was about a different girl. It was inspired by a time when she went off down to Mexico for an Iggy Pop show and left without telling him. He said all he did was fear the worst the whole time because he had no idea what happened to her. So he's kind of panicking and just thinking something horrible has happened and that he would never touch her or hold her ever again. It was definitely pretty awesome to hear him explain it, and even use some of the lyrics during the explanation. Props to the guy who asked, even though I thought the question would get ignored as soon as I heard it come out of his mouth. :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Wow, that is an awesome story! I never would have thought to ask Ed a question like that, about songwriting or the secret meanings... Very cool that he gave such a thorough explanation. Met him last week and it felt like the time just flew by. I know he was out there a good few minutes but it seemed like seconds.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    My buddy Jason (cent208) asked him that, and we talked afterwards and we both thought it was a really interesting answer and caught us off guard. Jason has a few more Eddie shows this week, but I'll tell him to come on and post on here.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    I wonder if Ed's being honest. I mean, the "grandma's jam" thing was a fabrication, so you never know. But if true, totally cool.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    dasvidana wrote:
    I wonder if Ed's being honest. I mean, the "grandma's jam" thing was a fabrication, so you never know. But if true, totally cool.

Had I not been standing there I would have my doubts. His answer was very matter of fact, sincere and straight forward. I mean there was not even the slightest hint of bullshit at all.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,150
    thats great...thanks for sharing
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I love it! What a great story - and so cool that Ed responded so openly to the question.
  • Options
    cool story!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,557
    very cool...thanks for posting.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JG108535JG108535 Posts: 183
    Shawshank wrote:
    In the little get together after the show last night:lol:

How do I get to one of these "little get togethers"
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    JG108535 wrote:
    Shawshank wrote:
    In the little get together after the show last night:lol:

How do I get to one of these "little get togethers"

You have to find the tour buses, which are usually located close to the loading docks at the venue. Eddie came out at around 1:15-1:30 am in Austin. He has his security with him which states no pictures with Eddie, and no signatures. In Austin, he went person by person and shook everyone's hand or hugged them and talked for a little while.
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    I don't have time to write a full post, but I asked him the question and I will try tell to the story it to the best of my memory when I a chance
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Shawshank wrote:
    In the little get together after the show last night, someone next to us asked Eddie if Porch and Black were about the same person. He said no...that it was about a different girl. It was inspired by a time when she went off down to Mexico for an Iggy Pop show and left without telling him. He said all he did was fear the worst the whole time because he had no idea what happened to her. So he's kind of panicking and just thinking something horrible has happened and that he would never touch her or hold her ever again. It was definitely pretty awesome to hear him explain it, and even use some of the lyrics during the explanation. Props to the guy who asked, even though I thought the question would get ignored as soon as I heard it come out of his mouth. :lol:

That's so awesome! I was just thinking about this when he was here last week. I remembered seeing him solo before and he picked random people from the audience and asked if they wanted to ask him anything. Last week I kept asking myself what I would ask him if that happened again and I got picked. I just kept thinking I'd want to ask about the story/meaning behind Porch, but then I thought probably everyone already knows but me. I'm so glad someone asked him and especially that you posted the answer. I so wish I could have been there!!
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    cent208 wrote:
    I don't have time to write a full post, but I asked him the question and I will try tell to the story it to the best of my memory when I a chance

Thank you!! :D
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    You were at a little get together with Eddie?? :shock:

Edit: Oh... ha ha. I found this statement so interesting I didn't bother reading down... You mean you asked him when he came out by the bus. Okay, that makes sense. I was picturing you sitting around having drinks with him at a bar next door to the venue or something! ... That's cool that he spent some time talking like that. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Wow, great story!! That's so cool!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Options
    That's really cool! I am glad Ed felt comfortable enough to explain the meaning of Porch. I wish and hope he will continue to open up like that when it's just him and his closest fans around. I mean, c'mon if we are waiting to see him in the middle of the night freezing our butts off to see and talk with him then we MUST be pretty rad fans, right?! ;):D
    Li
  • Options
    cent208cent208 Posts: 435
    I am the one that asked the question. Someone behind me in line videotaped the entire conversation, I had no idea it was being video taped. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3XIKgkn8g
    "The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    cent208 wrote:
    I am the one that asked the question. Someone behind me in line videotaped the entire conversation, I had no idea it was being video taped. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3XIKgkn8g
    Cool!!!!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    There's video of this. Someone posted it on FB
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)