Romney's Italy remarks spark anger

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 60705.html

He really has no clue what he is talking about to be honest.
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    After riling Londoners over the summer with his critiques of the 2012 Olympics, Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney managed to offend a different part of Europe with remarks he made at an event Thursday.

Italians reacted ferociously after local news agencies reported that Romney used the country as a negative example for what America's economy could become if it continues on its current trajectory.

Speaking at a campaign rally in Roanoke, Virginia, Romney reportedly asked the audience:

If you're an entrepreneur and you're thinking of starting up a business, you need to ask yourself: Is America on the same road as Greece? Are we on the path to an economic crisis like that we're seeing in Europe, in Italy and Spain?
    Italian politicians were quick to rebuff the candidate's statements, which were, the Guardian noted, given "front-page prominence" there. HuffPost Italia reported on the local reaction.

“Romney says he doesn’t want to end up like Italy? Well ... the U.S. did already end up like Italy, or is actually doing worse, considering they have the same bad things as we do, like the deficit," Gianfranco Polillo said, according to HuffPost Italia. "But they don’t have our good things, like the quality of life,” he added.

According to Valter Verini, deputy of the social-democratic party, Romney's political culture is to blame for the world economy's downfall in the first place. "It’s hard to believe that who caused the worst has solutions for the future. It would be better for Romney to think about the consequences of liberalism with no rules. Everyone can give lessons but him," Verini said.

Osvaldo Napoli, deputy for the center-right party, accused the Republican candidate of lacking experience in governing. "Romney has no appropriate knowledge of the situation in Europe. Any comparison between the American situation and ours is a primary error from someone who never ruled before,” he reportedly said.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    This is what really scares me with this guy. Like W he truly is not very intelligent.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    This is what really scares me with this guy. Like W he truly is not very intelligent.

no, he is more intelligent then george but he really does think bullying the rest of the world is what makes America strong.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Really? This seems ridiculously overblown.

I'm sure the government there would get pissed, but what is wrong with giving examples? And thanks the Italians for pointing out that the US is already there with Debt...proving Romney's point of where we are heading down Obama's yellow brick road.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Zoso wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

no, he is more intelligent then george but he really does think bullying the rest of the world is what makes America strong.

How is that bullying? Man, people are sensitive People can talk shit all day about the US, but be damned that anyone say anything bad about a European economy that sucks ass.
    hippiemom = goodness

I'm sure the government there would get pissed, but what is wrong with giving examples? And thanks the Italians for pointing out that the US is already there with Debt...proving Romney's point of where we are heading down Obama's yellow brick road.

what gives you the idea that romney would make this better?

Zoso wrote:

what gives you the idea that romney would make this better?

I'm not sure he would. But I'm not sure he could do worse.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

And thanks the Italians for pointing out that the US is already there with Debt...proving Romney's point of where we are heading down Obama's yellow brick road.

That's a good point...I find political discussion on the AMT just about pointless anymore, unless you agree with the majority there's no point.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:

And thanks the Italians for pointing out that the US is already there with Debt...proving Romney's point of where we are heading down Obama's yellow brick road.

That's a good point...I find political discussion on the AMT just about pointless anymore, unless you agree with the majority there's no point.

disagreements is what it's all about... I love a good discussion about politics.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Zoso wrote:

he's as intelligent as he needs to be ... ;)
  • I agree with Cincy. This reaction to this IS overblown.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm not sure how to analyze Romney's intelligence but a good politician should at least know how to be tactful and know when to be tactful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Well,I'm Italian, born and raised. Moved to the States 20 years ago. I'm not Republican. Most people would say I'm Liberal because I grew up in Europe, but I'm definately a Democrat who will again vote for Obama.
    However, I have to admit that Romney is right. Italians don't like it when you tell them the truth to their face. Hence, their reaction...
    Have fun with this PJ fans... :corn:
    PJ-VA Beach 6/17/08
    PJ-Philly 10/30-31/09
    PJ-NYC 5/20-21/10
    PJ20-East Troy 9/3-4/11
    EV-Washington, DC 8/17/08
    EV-Baltimore 6/15/09
    EV-Philly 6/25/11
    EV-Orlando 11/27-28/12
    PJ-Wrigley 7/19/13
    PJ-Brooklyn 10/18-19/2013
    PJ-Charlottesville 10/29/2013
  • whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Got a problem, Willard?

joe_pesci.jpg
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    If Romney helped a little old woman across the street, I'm sure that he would be soundly blasted for it by various groups.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    know1 wrote:
    If Romney helped a little old woman across the street, I'm sure that he would be soundly blasted for it by various groups.
    yeah kinda like how people are blasting obama for doing his job helping with the storm relief efforts... cough cough fox news, brownie, cough...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    whygohome wrote:
    Got a problem, Willard?

joe_pesci.jpg

ha ha ha ha hah ah AWESOME !!!!! :lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    whygohome wrote:
    Got a problem, Willard?

joe_pesci.jpg
    :lol::lol::clap:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    other countries do not like romney. they want obama in office. i am praying mitt & ryan go away for good real soon. my head spins at their bullshit they force down our throats. i just can't take it anymore; the multi mega millionaire rich guy spewing ridiculous bullshit & having insane beliefs totally fucking this country up worse than it is.

again... mitt isn't for the average or the poor. mitt is for the wealthy & the wealthy only. anyone who cannot see this fact & this fact alone is completely blind, insane, untrustworthy, drunk & on heroin & crack cocaine.

italians make a damn fine meal & they are healthier than fat americans. italians make a damn fine automobile, work less than we do, vacation more than we do, and the average italian family is not plagued with out of control monthly bills like the average american household is.

do i have this information source linked out? no i do not. i find it to be common knowledge & from knowing folks who have family in italy and folks who have traveled there a lot.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    other countries do not like romney. they want obama in office. i am praying mitt & ryan go away for good real soon. my head spins at their bullshit they force down our throats. i just can't take it anymore; the multi mega millionaire rich guy spewing ridiculous bullshit & having insane beliefs totally fucking this country up worse than it is.

again... mitt isn't for the average or the poor. mitt is for the wealthy & the wealthy only. anyone who cannot see this fact & this fact alone is completely blind, insane, untrustworthy, drunk & on heroin & crack cocaine.

italians make a damn fine meal & they are healthier than fat americans. italians make a damn fine automobile, work less than we do, vacation more than we do, and the average italian family is not plagued with out of control monthly bills like the average american household is.

do i have this information source linked out? no i do not. i find it to be common knowledge & from knowing folks who have family in italy and folks who have traveled there a lot.

Stereotype much?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    chadwick wrote:

they like Obama probably because he is softer than a sneaker full of crap and he can be bought...just my opinion :D

Godfather.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    is there a country or class of people that romney has not offended in the last year?

this is what you romney voters are voting for.

part of me hopes you get it...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • is there a country or class of people that romney has not offended in the last year?

I think I might stay away from AMT for 4 years if he does! except for the occasional "told ya so!". :lol:

reading my local paper this morning they say all the polls show a dead heat. that scares the shit out of me.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    is there a country or class of people that romney has not offended in the last year?

I think I might stay away from AMT for 4 years if he does! except for the occasional "told ya so!". :lol:

reading my local paper this morning they say all the polls show a dead heat. that scares the shit out of me.

The "told yas so"s won't matter because......accordingly, Bush did a "good job". :wtf:
    rollings wrote:

The "told yas so"s won't matter because......accordingly, Bush did a "good job". :wtf:

He didn't do a "good" job, he and his administration did an amazing job.

Their job was to allow 9/11 to happen, destroy the economy, create 1.1 million jobs in 8 years, double the debt, balloon the deficit after being handed a surplus, put forth a disastrous foreign policy, and weaken the U.S. to a low point it has not been in 60 years, right?

An amazing job.
  • it's just really too bad that Americans keep putting their faith in someone who only cares about making the rich richer thinking they move the economy, leaving the rest no choice but to join the military for a cheque and then getting killed on foreign soil for things they don't themselves believe in.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    it's just really too bad that Americans keep putting their faith in someone who only cares about making the rich richer thinking they move the economy, leaving the rest no choice but to join the military for a cheque and then getting killed on foreign soil for things they don't themselves believe in.

This is horrifying. But, it's nice to see where the country's priorities are!
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:

Stereotype much?
    yeah that's me 24x7 all the time
    sayin shit that is flat out false and fucked

how many italians do you know from italy? i know many.

you can't get a large bag of potato chips in italy nor any large junk food sacks of bullshit. potato chips in italy are sold in little bags and only a small tiny section of the stores grocery aisle is dedicated to the said junk food item

but the wine section... for get about it... 400 miles wide and long
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    "but the wine section... for get about it... 400 miles wide and long"

Italians do like to take baths in wine as well.... ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image

:lol: we all had our time for "I told ya so's" in the last 4 years and maybe you will have your time in the next
    4 years and if Obama wins I will get another 4 years to say i told ya so :lol:
    either way I'm good with it,I've always believed make the best of what you got.

Godfather.