Joseph Arthur

NoCode1996NoCode1996 Posts: 75
edited October 2012 in Other Music
Any fans?

Love his work from "Come to where Im from" throught to "temporary People"... wasnt keen on his last record, Graduation.

Guy is a genius though.... personal fav songs include "Space Needle", "Bill Wilson", "termite Song", "Devils broom", "History", "Lovely Cost"

Anyway any of u guys fans? Always felt Mr Arthur never got the appreciation he deserved
Behind her eyes there's curtains and they've been closed to hide the flames. Remains.
She knows their futures burning but she can smile just the same. Same.
And though her mood is fine today there's a fear they'll soon be parting ways.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,994
    I'm pretty new to Joseph Arthur. I've only listened to his newest album, The Graduation Ceremony - but it's pretty good.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Great songwriter. "In The Sun" is one of my all time favourite songs.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    edited March 2016
    He is currently working on another album! :) To be called The Family. First single out in a few days, apparently. This guy's music output is insane.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207891021246661&substory_index=0&id=1030057166
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    he's pretty good in that RNDM band :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,352
    PJ_Soul said:

He is currently working on another album! :) To be called The Family. First single out in a few days, apparently. This guy's music output is insane.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207891021246661&substory_index=0&id=1030057166

Looking forward to this!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

he's pretty good in that RNDM band :wink:

So, the RNDM shows were a lot of fun and I do like both albums (Acts better than Ghost Riding), but I have to say that his talent really shines when he's performing solo without a band. And this is coming from someone who loves bands!
    Upcoming Joseph Arthur shows:

Date Venue Location
    Apr 17 The Borderline London, United Kingdom
    Apr 20 The Acoustic Bridgeport, CT
    Apr 21 Sellersville Theater 1894 Sellersville, PA
    Apr 22 The Rubin Museum of Art New York, NY
    May 16 Troubadour Los Angeles, CA
    May 17 Music Box San Diego, CA
    May 19 The Triple Door Seattle, WA
    Joseph Arthur covers The Man Who Sold The World at Radio City Music Hall 4/1/2016
    http://youtu.be/ZyvgRR9Fp6M
    edited April 2016
    Omg, he FINALLY just announced a show for Vancouver on May 21st! So excited!! image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    MORE tour dates including Europe. And pre-order his new album The Family with a personalized canvas print.

The Family pre-order: https://josepharthur.store-08.com/the-family/

Tour dates:
    Date Venue Location
    Apr 16 Le Trianon Paris, France
    Apr 17 Borderline London, United Kingdom
    Apr 20 The Acoustic Bridgeport, CT
    Apr 21 Sellersville Theater 1894 Sellersville, PA
    Apr 22 The Rubin Museum of Art New York, NY

May 16 Troubadour Los Angeles, CA
    May 17 Music Box San Diego, CA
    May 19 The Triple Door Seattle, WA
    May 21 The Cobalt Vancouver, Canada
    May 23 Alberta Rose Theatre Portland, OR

Jun 05 Café Berlin Madrid, Spain
    Jun 06 Side Car Barcelona, Spain
    Jun 08 Knust Hamburg, Germany
    Jun 09 Grüner Salon Berlin, Germany
    Jun 10 Strom Munich, Germany
    Jun 11 Luxor Cologne, Germany
    Jun 13 De Vondelkerk Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Jun 14 Bourla Antwerp, Belgium
    Jun 16 Exil Zurich, Switzerland
    PJ_Soul said:

Omg, he FINALLY just announced a show for Vancouver on May 21st! So excited!! image

Nice!
    edited May 2016
    Gah! JA has cancelled all of his May dates, to be rescheduled to the Fall (new dates TBA). :frowning: I am really grateful that he's rescheduling rather than just plain old cancelling (I hope he sticks with that plan), but I was so excited to see him next weekend. He hasn't said anything about why he can't do the May shows. He just sited unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances. Hopefully he's okay.
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    The new date for the Vancouver gig is Friday, September 16th. Doors 7pm, Show 8pm.
    rockpants said:

The new date for the Vancouver gig is Friday, September 16th. Doors 7pm, Show 8pm.

Yeah, I got the email. That happened faster than I expected. Glad the show is still on the weekend!
    His whole new album, The Family, is streaming now! http://blog.kexp.org/2016/05/27/album-premiere-joseph-arthur-the-family/

I love it. Especially love that it's heavy on piano.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    PJ_Soul said:

I just did a quick tally of Joseph's albums and EPs - 19 albums... NINETEEN!!... and 10 EPs since 1997 (or 20 albums and 6 EPs if you count the 2cd Junkyard Hearts compilation instead of the 4 EPs.)
    And that's not counting guest appearances on other albums. That's just crazy!

Big City Secrets - March 1997
    Vacancy (EP) - May 1999
    Come to Where I'm From - April 2000
    Junkyard Hearts I (EP) - February 2002
    Junkyard Hearts II (EP) - February 2002
    Junkyard Hearts III (EP) - March 2002
    Junkyard Hearts IV (EP) - March 2002
    Redemption's Son - May 2002
    Holding The Void - 2003
    Our Shadows Will Remain - September 2004
    And The Thieves Are Gone (EP) - December 2004
    The Invisible Parade - May 2006
    Nuclear Daydream - September 2006
    Let's Just Be (with The Lonely Astronauts) - April 2007
    Could We Survive (EP) - March 2008
    Crazy Rain (EP) - April 2008
    Vagabond Skies (EP) - June 2008
    Foreign Girls (EP) - July 2008
    Temporary People (with The Lonely Astronauts) - September 2008
    As I Call You Down (Fistful Of Mercy) - October 2010
    The Graduation Ceremony - May 2011
    Redemption City - January 2012
    Acts (RNDM) - October 2012
    The Ballad of Boogie Christ - June 2013
    The Ballad of Boogie Christ Act II - November 2013
    Lou: The Songs of Lou Reed - May 2014
    Days of Surrender - May 2015
    Ghost Riding (RNDM) - March 2016
    The Family - June 2016

The most insane part of it is that it is all quality stuff. There really isn't anything in that list that I don't like or never listen to. Quality and quantity :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    New album, out today!
    edited June 2016
    goldrush said:

PJ_Soul said:

I just did a quick tally of Joseph's albums and EPs - 19 albums... NINETEEN!!... and 10 EPs since 1997 (or 20 albums and 6 EPs if you count the 2cd Junkyard Hearts compilation instead of the 4 EPs.)
    And that's not counting guest appearances on other albums. That's just crazy!

Big City Secrets - March 1997
    Vacancy (EP) - May 1999
    Come to Where I'm From - April 2000
    Junkyard Hearts I (EP) - February 2002
    Junkyard Hearts II (EP) - February 2002
    Junkyard Hearts III (EP) - March 2002
    Junkyard Hearts IV (EP) - March 2002
    Redemption's Son - May 2002
    Holding The Void - 2003
    Our Shadows Will Remain - September 2004
    And The Thieves Are Gone (EP) - December 2004
    The Invisible Parade - May 2006
    Nuclear Daydream - September 2006
    Let's Just Be (with The Lonely Astronauts) - April 2007
    Could We Survive (EP) - March 2008
    Crazy Rain (EP) - April 2008
    Vagabond Skies (EP) - June 2008
    Foreign Girls (EP) - July 2008
    Temporary People (with The Lonely Astronauts) - September 2008
    As I Call You Down (Fistful Of Mercy) - October 2010
    The Graduation Ceremony - May 2011
    Redemption City - January 2012
    Acts (RNDM) - October 2012
    The Ballad of Boogie Christ - June 2013
    The Ballad of Boogie Christ Act II - November 2013
    Lou: The Songs of Lou Reed - May 2014
    Days of Surrender - May 2015
    Ghost Riding (RNDM) - March 2016
    The Family - June 2016

The most insane part of it is that it is all quality stuff. There really isn't anything in that list that I don't like or never listen to. Quality and quantity :)
    Totally agree. I'm not sure there is another long term artist EVER whose music I like across the board, without exception. Joseph Arthur is the one and only in that regard as far as I'm concerned. He's never released an album I didn't like. With that many albums, that is practically achieving the impossible. He's amazing, and so much more prolific that anyone else. Yes, It's crazy!
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,490
    Depends if you are a fan but Ryan Adams is just as prolific

I'm a fan of both, majorly

I like 1989 very much, but it's not his own music. I've listened to a LOT of Ryan Adams because I respect the musical tastes of so many of his fans and basically, I really want to enjoy him as much as those people do, lol. I've found that most of his studio albums don't really do it for me. I mean, they're good, but they don't really have an emotional impact for me like JA's albums do. However, Adams' live stuff is a whole other story. Much better than his studio albums IMO. That Carnegie Hall album, for example, is fantastic.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    I love Ryan as much as I love Joseph, but I can't honestly say that I listen to all of his stuff that often (some of it is a little too country for me). He has so much unreleased/leaked music, he's probably more prolific than Joseph. It's fun trying to find it all. And yes, Carnegie Hall is one of the best sounding records I've ever heard.

Joseph's stuff is so consistent though. I really enjoy the poetry and paintings that he posts too. Probably the closest thing to an exception would be the second record of Redemption City - I'm trying not to sound like too much of a fan boy! - but even that sounds great when you hear it on its own, isolated from the rest of his work.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Redemption City is one of my favorites.
    PJ_Soul said:

Redemption City is one of my favorites.

I need to give that album another shot. I never really got into it since it's so different than his other stuff.
    PJ_Soul said:

I like 1989 very much, but it's not his own music. I've listened to a LOT of Ryan Adams because I respect the musical tastes of so many of his fans and basically, I really want to enjoy him as much as those people do, lol. I've found that most of his studio albums don't really do it for me. I mean, they're good, but they don't really have an emotional impact for me like JA's albums do. However, Adams' live stuff is a whole other story. Much better than his studio albums IMO. That Carnegie Hall album, for example, is fantastic.
    It's all a matter of taste. I love both guys. Wasn't looking to turn it into a debate just merely pointing out another prolific artist. Totally respect your opinion.

That being said. Lou isn't Joseph's songs either and still love that album

PJ_Soul said:

It's all a matter of taste. I love both guys. Wasn't looking to turn it into a debate just merely pointing out another prolific artist. Totally respect your opinion.

That being said. Lou isn't Joseph's songs either and still love that album
    I wasn't debating with you, just wanted to talk about some music. ;)
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I went to a Joseph Arthur show last night (in Virginia), and it was just awful the whole way through. From his first awkward hello, he appeared unplanned and unrehearsed. His looping equipment was not working properly, so between every song, he was fixing things on the floor with the sound guy and constantly making excuses as to why the songs weren't working. He took audience requests but then he couldn't remember how to play them. He only played two songs from the new album, and not well. It was sad and embarrassing, and I didn't even stick around through the last song because he just gave up on any serious attempt at playing it. ("Miss the Zoo") He just started banging sloppily on the keyboards to make whatever noise he could get out of it. I don't know why he was having such a bad night, but I was really pissed off about paying for it. I hope he works out his issues before the next stop.

He did announce that he will no longer be touring after November because he was offered a corporate job. He would not elaborate on the corporate job, but he went off on a long monologue about this being the beginning of his Going Out Light Tour. He basically said he can't keep on touring, that it's too much at his age. We'll see how that pans out.

It was an unexpectedly bizarre and disappointing evening.

I went to a Joseph Arthur show last night (in Virginia), and it was just awful the whole way through. From his first awkward hello, he appeared unplanned and unrehearsed. His looping equipment was not working properly, so between every song, he was fixing things on the floor with the sound guy and constantly making excuses as to why the songs weren't working. He took audience requests but then he couldn't remember how to play them. He only played two songs from the new album, and not well. It was sad and embarrassing, and I didn't even stick around through the last song because he just gave up on any serious attempt at playing it. ("Miss the Zoo") He just started banging sloppily on the keyboards to make whatever noise he could get out of it. I don't know why he was having such a bad night, but I was really pissed off about paying for it. I hope he works out his issues before the next stop.

He did announce that he will no longer be touring after November because he was offered a corporate job. He would not elaborate on the corporate job, but he went off on a long monologue about this being the beginning of his Going Out Light Tour. He basically said he can't keep on touring, that it's too much at his age. We'll see how that pans out.

That stinks, especially the part about him taking a corporate job! I've seen him a bunch, definitely seen him have off days before, but what you described does sound awful. I don't see him surviving without music and art being his focus, but it's gotta suck living in New York without a steady income so I get it.
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, he really struggles financially, so I understand why he might have decided to do something that actually makes him a salary. I would assume this "corporate job" (whatever that means to him; I wouldn't assume he means that quite literally, but who knows) is still music related .... either that or he was bullshitting you all. I don't wtf he was talking about when he said touring is too much for his age though. He's only in his mid-40s, no? At any rate, that fucking sucks he stunk up the stage. Maybe he was on something or drunk??? Hope not. I have never seen such a review of a JA show, so that sounds really weird. Anyway, I hope he pulls it together by September. I will be sorely disappointed if this show sucks and makes me uncomfortable.
    edited September 2016

Oh my goodness, I was trusting that you got a bad show, but no..... just saw his show tonight and it was at least as disastrous as you describe. At some point it was just about the tech issues. They had to work shit out technically the second he came on stage and it took a while. But then he just didn't try. Super weird show. I am worried about the guy. I think he might be having a drug problem, seriously. Pretty sure he's fought that demon before... I feel like it's possible that he's fighting that demon again. That show was FUCKED. Terrible. He did berate some idiots for talking over his show, and I liked that because it was right, even though everything already blew. At the same time it took away from an already fucked up show... so I dunno. It was a mess.

Poor Joseph. I am such a huge fan of his music... I feel sad about his show. :frowning:
    His behaviour on stage just wasn't right. Beyond just artist weirdness. He was so.... I dunno. If he isn't fucked up on some drugs, then I would guess he needs help psychologically. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know the guy.

Really sad to hear all of this. He couldn't have been more on point and focused at the RNDM shows.

I have noticed he's posted some weirder (than normal) stuff on Instagram lately

Hope he is ok