WE NEED GENERAL ADMISSION SHOWS IN THE U.S.!!

12346»

Comments

• LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    Speaking as a child of the nineties...
    I'm now a reserved seat guy :lol:

Hahaha! I'm with you, I went to two GA shows this year and all I could think each time was "I am WAY too old for this shit." I'm 43. :lol::lol:

Foo Fighters at Bamboozle: Crowd was cool and laid-back, the "kids" had cleared out, and the area I was in seemed to be people my age having a good time. We were able to politely move our way through the crowd and got fairly damn close to the stage twice.

MIA for PJ: I got pushed and shoved by people like I couldn't believe. I stood for a long time next to a super drunk guy (a happy drunk guy but still) and it was a little hard to enjoy myself when I was so sure he was going to break my nose with his flailing arms.

And I have to say it, not to be dramatic, but there was one time where we were in a kind of tight group, there was some pushing (just some rude and/or drunk kids) but the thought went through my mind: Oh, this is how it happens...Roskilde, Cincinnati... You can just see how you can get caught up, pushed down, and trampled over..... :(

Me, I'll take a seat, thanks.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Do PJ fans really mosh?? From what I saw, a few people kind of started trying to, and everyone around them shut it down immediately. And from every video I've seen of GA shows in Europe and at festivals from the past 8 years, there was no real moshing happening as far as I could tell.... I mean, maybe a little gang of moshers crops up here and there for a song or two, but is it really an actual problem?? I kind of doubt it...

At MIA noone was moshing near me and i was pretty close. few people crowed surfed and it was horrible. one dude who was totally drunk just fell really hard, but that's cause people didn't realize he was coming cause who moshes these days at a pj concert. i'd be all for GA here in america if pj didn't have that frathead fanbase who think it's cool to push and shove their way to the front. you wanna be infront pay your fucking dues and make sure your the first few people on line.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    It would be fun if they did a 10c tour to clubs in the US. ie 930 Club in DC, Filmore in SF, Apollo in NYC.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    Do PJ fans really mosh?? From what I saw, a few people kind of started trying to, and everyone around them shut it down immediately. And from every video I've seen of GA shows in Europe and at festivals from the past 8 years, there was no real moshing happening as far as I could tell.... I mean, maybe a little gang of moshers crops up here and there for a song or two, but is it really an actual problem?? I kind of doubt it...

At MIA noone was moshing near me and i was pretty close. few people crowed surfed and it was horrible. one dude who was totally drunk just fell really hard, but that's cause people didn't realize he was coming cause who moshes these days at a pj concert. i'd be all for GA here in america if pj didn't have that frathead fanbase who think it's cool to push and shove their way to the front. you wanna be infront pay your fucking dues and make sure your the first few people on line.

crowd surfing sucks

but i bet someone's gonna say it doesn't... :?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul wrote:

crowd surfing sucks

but i bet someone's gonna say it doesn't... :?
    As long as it doesn't come my way, I don't care. ;) But seriously, who does that anymore??? I haven't seen anyone crowd surf for years.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    edited October 2012
    Hinn wrote:

I did the other one just cause I felt like promoting Neil Young's book and that would just get lost in here. Besides, Neil isn't talking about a GA floor, but a compromise - 'festival seating' space at the front of stage, with seating behind that.

so he is suggesting a ga pit way up front and then farther back on the same floor, some seats?
    i'm not sure i follow that :?

i saw the pics from copenhagen this year. that ga floor looked brutally packed to me. in fact, i would say overcrowded and unsafe
    No, Neil's model is a GA section up front, followed by seats in behind the GA section, then the usual seats in the stands.

I've been through the Copenhagen stuff already, the photos tell half the story. It was not more packed than the standard European GA show. If anything, Scandinavians are more relaxed, more orderly, than the southern European shows. It was not just the one entrance point. There was a 10c entry, and then there were separate public entries. Then there's more emergency entries side of stage, where trucks enter to upload equipment from the venue. Those photos were deceptive.

My friend dimejinky Dave arrived at Copenhagen station just before 9pm. He texted me asking where I was, I said wide on the rail to Mike side, told him to bring beers, and maybe 8 songs in, he sidles next to me with beers. Brutally packed? In American terms, maybe. Me, I don't think any crowd can be called 'brutally packed' if a guy who's late to the show can carry full beers right to the rail without any real spillage.

I'm as big a GA fan out there as anyone else, but let's be clear. I think queueing is a massive waste of time. Even if I did, anyone who tells me to put my name on a list can just fuck right off - people I queue around will know who I am. I don't even really use that early entrance benefit much anyway, tend to drift in late, maybe miss out on the opening act and go in just before the boys are due on stage, to particular patches around the venues where some mates tend to congregate.

A proper mosh is uncommon. I've been in a few. Rather enjoyable, I'd like to see more, but I don't feel I'm missing out if it's not there.
    Post edited by Hinn on
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Hinn wrote:
    Hinn wrote:

I did the other one just cause I felt like promoting Neil Young's book and that would just get lost in here. Besides, Neil isn't talking about a GA floor, but a compromise - 'festival seating' space at the front of stage, with seating behind that.

so he is suggesting a ga pit way up front and then farther back on the same floor, some seats?
    i'm not sure i follow that :?

i saw the pics from copenhagen this year. that ga floor looked brutally packed to me. in fact, i would say overcrowded and unsafe
    No, Neil's model is a GA section up front, followed by seats in behind the GA section, then the usual seats in the stands.

I've been through the Copenhagen stuff already, the photos tell half the story. It was not more packed than the standard European GA show. If anything, Scandinavians are more relaxed, more orderly, than the southern European shows. It was not just the one entrance point. There was a 10c entry, and then there were separate public entries. Then there's more emergency entries side of stage, where trucks enter to upload equipment from the venue. Those photos were deceptive.

My friend dimejinky Dave arrived at Copenhagen station just before 9pm. He texted me asking where I was, I said wide on the rail to Mike side, told him to bring beers, and maybe 8 songs in, he sidles next to me with beers. Brutally packed? In American terms, maybe. Me, I don't think any crowd can be if a guy who's late to the show can carry full beers right to the rail without any real spillage.
    the only problem in copenhagen was that was so hot inside the venue...
    was safe,i was at the rail,next to Fleur on my right,a greek girl on my left..no problem..she even hold 2 posters with out tube....all cool..no pushing,no pressure..and i get in with the last 10c early entrance members..and get the rail...if i remember well,Joackim from Sweden was behind me..and we dance and jump like crazy with no pressure or pushing ,.or whatever
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    As long as it doesn't come my way, I don't care. ;) But seriously, who does that anymore??? I haven't seen anyone crowd surf for years.

There were a few crowd surfers in Berlin, but that's just how German crowds are. There may have been some in Manchester too, there weren't any for the other shows. Amsterdam actually had a no-crowdsurfing sign.
    The guy in Berlin crowdsurfed during present tense of all songs...I remember all of us looking at each other in disbelief. :lol:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Kathi wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

There were a few crowd surfers in Berlin, but that's just how German crowds are. There may have been some in Manchester too, there weren't any for the other shows. Amsterdam actually had a no-crowdsurfing sign.
    The guy in Berlin crowdsurfed during present tense of all songs...I remember all of us looking at each other in disbelief. :lol:
    :lol:
    stock-illustration-4015775-no-crowd-surfing-sign.jpg
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Went to three shows this year ... Berlin I & II and MIA. Had the best time at Berlin II largely because I had a seat.

At Berlin 1 there were annoying people directly in front of me on the floor ... they started the show behind me and had to make their way in front of me (strike 1), then did not respect personal space even though there was loads of room (I was 1/4 of the way back ... where the people who clearly wanted their personal space were standing ... these people didn't get it) ... they thought it was OK to dance with lit cigarettes too ... really annoying to have to tell adults that cutting is not cool and to watch where they swing a lit cigarette.

At MIA I was about 15 people back ... it was tight, which I was ready for and could handle, but as soon as the music started (or right before) a group of aholes tried to muscle their way through a wall of people. These aholes didn't let up the whole show ... pushing, elbowing, dancing hard so they could bang into everyone. It was terrible.

Berlin II was awesone ... had a seat, could see the stage clearly, could enjoy being with the people I came with and the others around me.

I'm 36 and have been to a decent amount of shows. My experience with GA is usually something like my experience at Berlin 1 and MIA ... there's always a fight near me, annoying people, pushing, etc, and its really hard to enjoy the music and the people I came with.
  • antares434 wrote:
    Went to three shows this year ... Berlin I & II and MIA. Had the best time at Berlin II largely because I had a seat.

At Berlin 1 there were annoying people directly in front of me on the floor ... they started the show behind me and had to make their way in front of me (strike 1), then did not respect personal space even though there was loads of room (I was 1/4 of the way back ... where the people who clearly wanted their personal space were standing ... these people didn't get it) ... they thought it was OK to dance with lit cigarettes too ... really annoying to have to tell adults that cutting is not cool and to watch where they swing a lit cigarette.

At MIA I was about 15 people back ... it was tight, which I was ready for and could handle, but as soon as the music started (or right before) a group of aholes tried to muscle their way through a wall of people. These aholes didn't let up the whole show ... pushing, elbowing, dancing hard so they could bang into everyone. It was terrible.

Berlin II was awesone ... had a seat, could see the stage clearly, could enjoy being with the people I came with and the others around me.

I'm 36 and have been to a decent amount of shows. My experience with GA is usually something like my experience at Berlin 1 and MIA ... there's always a fight near me, annoying people, pushing, etc, and its really hard to enjoy the music and the people I came with.

thanks for that
    europe can keep ga
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    PJ_Soul wrote:

people who think it's the 90's. i'd rather have buncha crowd surfers than a buncha drunken dbags push and shove their way to the front.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?