Final word on GA vs Seating - Mr Neil Young

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Kathi wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The problem with GA is that you have to be completely physically able to stand for hours and withstand the heat, pushing, shoving, not always being able to see (if you're under 6' tall), and you can't leave to go to the bathroom, so you can't drink anything.

As someone who's not only very short, I have bad legs caused by a car accident. Why do only those who can physically withstand the conditions of being in front at a concert be catered to? That's why I like the seats (and the lottery).

I love Uncle Neil, but if he really cared about the wealthy not being in front, perhaps he shouldn't charge $200+ per ticket. (that's what he charged locally 2 years ago).

There'll always be seats at arena shows, there are in Europe as well, it's just the floor that is GA.
    Exactly. Something for EVERYONE when there is a GA floor. Without GA, there is not something for everyone.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier. That is so stupid. Assigned seats make it to where I don't have to deal with this annoying group of people. If you are one of these people who thinks that is okay, fuck you.

Bingo. This concept actually blows my mind and to me is utter bullshit. I like seated shows much better than general admission. If you want a general admission show, pay the price. Starting some fucking list to save your spot while you're out enjoying the rest of the day is absolute fucking bullshit. Give everyone their seats and let everyone enjoy the day. At a general admission show...you're either in line or you're not in line. You can't have it both ways.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    DS1119 wrote:
    I hate getting in line early for PJ only to end up dealing with that group of PJ people who seem to think it is cool to get in line, then create a list of people and their location in line, then leave all fucking day, only to end up coming back hours later and expecting to get in line where they were earlier. That is so stupid. Assigned seats make it to where I don't have to deal with this annoying group of people. If you are one of these people who thinks that is okay, fuck you.

Bingo. This concept actually blows my mind and to me is utter bullshit. I like seated shows much better than general admission. If you want a general admission show, pay the price. Starting some fucking list to save your spot while you're out enjoying the rest of the day is absolute fucking bullshit. Give everyone their seats and let everyone enjoy the day. At a general admission show...you're either in line or you're not in line. You can't have it both ways.

How about the band do a fucking tour 1st and split the shows do 20 reserved & 20 GA this way we choose wich to attend ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Kathi wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The problem with GA is that you have to be completely physically able to stand for hours and withstand the heat, pushing, shoving, not always being able to see (if you're under 6' tall), and you can't leave to go to the bathroom, so you can't drink anything.

As someone who's not only very short, I have bad legs caused by a car accident. Why do only those who can physically withstand the conditions of being in front at a concert be catered to? That's why I like the seats (and the lottery).

I love Uncle Neil, but if he really cared about the wealthy not being in front, perhaps he shouldn't charge $200+ per ticket. (that's what he charged locally 2 years ago).

There'll always be seats at arena shows, there are in Europe as well, it's just the floor that is GA.
    Exactly. Something for EVERYONE when there is a GA floor. Without GA, there is not something for everyone.

No, you both missed my point. Why do only those who can physically withstand the conditions of being in front at a concert be catered to? Only the abled bodied deserve to have the best spots in the house?
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I hear you but here it's all about the law suits when people get hurt they sue it happens all the time ...Arena's do not wan't to have another potentially dangerous situation where they can be held responsible for ...
    That's the point of that particular quote - Neil's managed it, done stretches of touring with festival seating. Regarding the sueing thing, it's a liability issue that should be rather easily addressed at the point of sale, with clear legal disclaimers around risks for the people who buy into these tickets.

Surely, if the sueing thing is such an issue, than Lolla, Bonnaroo, Coachella, and all the other festivals would be long out of business by now.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:
    I really hope this is the final word on this topic :roll: :roll: , it's all about the liability factor here in the States ...
    Which is why I lifted Neil's words, because he shows it doesn't have to be. His format isn't a whole GA floor, but a front critical mass of 'festival seating' to ramp up the energy that drifts onto the stage, for the band to feed off. Behind the floor are still seats. It's a true iconic rock figure telling us that, yes, a jumpin' freaky crowd is better than one that just stands there taking photos, and yes, it does impact on the performance, so for performances to be consistently ramped up, there is a way.

It's the final word as far as I'm concerned, because here's the truely iconic rock figure saying what it means, from his side, to have people up front who truly, REALLY give a fuck. Nothing I say will ever carry so much weight on this subject, so personally, I'm just gonna stop now after bringing up his words. It's like sport fandom - can't be arsed explaining myself anymore, I just say, go read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.

The book, it's just full of this RnR spirit.

I think that if Uncle Neil doesn't want folks who stand there texting or taking photos, he should be able to outlaw phones and cameras at his shows. Why not start there? He knows he's got a lot of power regarding how his shows are; instead of stating what he thinks the overall format should be, maybe he should just start with what is within his control - his concerts. Make policies regarding phone and camera use in the GA area. Problem solved.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Hinn wrote:
    I hear you but here it's all about the law suits when people get hurt they sue it happens all the time ...Arena's do not wan't to have another potentially dangerous situation where they can be held responsible for ...
    That's the point of that particular quote - Neil's managed it, done stretches of touring with festival seating. Regarding the sueing thing, it's a liability issue that should be rather easily addressed at the point of sale, with clear legal disclaimers around risks for the people who buy into these tickets.

Surely, if the sueing thing is such an issue, than Lolla, Bonnaroo, Coachella, and all the other festivals would be long out of business by now.

Yeah totally agree on the festivals , Arena's that's the only way to do it disclaimers ..

And if Neil has done why not PJ what do you think is holding them back on these types of shows ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Hinn wrote:
    I really hope this is the final word on this topic :roll: :roll: , it's all about the liability factor here in the States ...
    Which is why I lifted Neil's words, because he shows it doesn't have to be. His format isn't a whole GA floor, but a front critical mass of 'festival seating' to ramp up the energy that drifts onto the stage, for the band to feed off. Behind the floor are still seats. It's a true iconic rock figure telling us that, yes, a jumpin' freaky crowd is better than one that just stands there taking photos, and yes, it does impact on the performance, so for performances to be consistently ramped up, there is a way.

It's the final word as far as I'm concerned, because here's the truely iconic rock figure saying what it means, from his side, to have people up front who truly, REALLY give a fuck. Nothing I say will ever carry so much weight on this subject, so personally, I'm just gonna stop now after bringing up his words. It's like sport fandom - can't be arsed explaining myself anymore, I just say, go read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.

I think that if Uncle Neil doesn't want folks who stand there texting or taking photos, he should be able to outlaw phones and cameras at his shows. Why not start there? He knows he's got a lot of power regarding how his shows are; instead of stating what he thinks the overall format should be, maybe he should just start with what is within his control - his concerts. Make policies regarding phone and camera use in the GA area. Problem solved.
    Cameras and phones are rather easier to police in theatres, but arenas?

His sentiment is more about opening shows up, having less restrictions to a dynamic show, having people who make a purposeful effort as a driving force up front so the band can feed off their energy, than to look at putting in more restrictions about phones and cameras.

It is about less of a meritocracy. I'm sure he understands that it means only the able-bodied can be at the front. I'm not going to talk about if Neil has it in for people who are not in top physical shape, cos frankly that's just an absurd line to go down, the point is, there's simply more energy that flows onto the stage to drive more dynamic performances.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    DS1119 wrote:

Or it could just be a first come first serve... I don't see the problem with making a list for those who just show up to get on it, in person, plus a stamp to ensure they're not sending people to do it for them. Why have anybody at all wait in line for hours and hours??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Jeanwah wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

No, you both missed my point. Why do only those who can physically withstand the conditions of being in front at a concert be catered to? Only the abled bodied deserve to have the best spots in the house?
    Just the way it is. :( You can't just slow the world down and stop all GA at rock concerts because some people have bad knees or whatever. That's why they call it a disability I think.... Sorry, I didn't know how else to put that. :? Sorry about your knees though. But hey, the wheelchair sections are usually the second best spots in the place...
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Or it could just be a first come first serve... I don't see the problem with making a list for those who just show up to get on it, in person, plus a stamp to ensure they're not sending people to do it for them. Why have anybody at all wait in line for hours and hours??

Because quite frankly people can't have it both ways. If you want general admission...it's general admission. Wait in line. You can't get in line and put your name on a "list" which means shit. Thank goodness I didn't have GA tickets in MT becasue if someone tried pulling their list bullshit on me there would have been issues. You want to be in front of me...sit your ass there like me and everyone behind me. Your list means dick. You get out of line, sorry, sucks to be you. I'll be the first to piss on this list if PJ ever goes to a GA method (which they won't). Some people's mentality just blows my mind. Let me get in the GA line...I'll put my name on a list and then go enjoy the rest of the day while the other idiots sit there and I'll just move right back into my spot. Fuck that. Sit your ass there. You want a guaranteed spot...we already have it...it's called reserved seating.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    DS1119 wrote:
    Because quite frankly people can't have it both ways. If you want general admission...it's general admission. Wait in line. You can't get in line and put your name on a "list" which means shit. Thank goodness I didn't have GA tickets in MT becasue if someone tried pulling their list bullshit on me there would have been issues. You want to be in front of me...sit your ass there like me and everyone behind me. Your list means dick. You get out of line, sorry, sucks to be you. I'll be the first to piss on this list if PJ ever goes to a GA method (which they won't). Some people's mentality just blows my mind. Let me get in the GA line...I'll put my name on a list and then go enjoy the rest of the day while the other idiots sit there and I'll just move right back into my spot. Fuck that. Sit your ass there. You want a guaranteed spot...we already have it...it's called reserved seating.
    The problem I've witnessed... me and my friend were at the Soundgarden gig and there were only about 40 people in front of us. By the time the doors opened... there were about 150 people in front of us. That's because people let their late comer friends in line. I can see letting people know you are waiting on one friend to show up... but 10 or 15... kind of shitty.
    Personally, I get in line when I get there. I grab a spot in the line and wait for a while and make 'friends' with whoever is there. If I see friends up in the front... I'll visit for a bit, but will return to my spot. And i don't let people who show up later stand in line with me... sorry.
    As for getting in line and staying there... I don't know about you, but I need water if I'm going to be in line for a couple of 3 hours or so. Drinking water means pissing. I don'rt see a problem with people bailing out to get a bottle of water or take a leak, because we are animals. I typically make 'friends' with the people ahead of and behind me in line and we work out a deal to take shifts.
    Anyway.. that's my take.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • DS1119 wrote:

But if the PJ organized the list, so that you got a number through them? First come first serve.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Hinn wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Hinn wrote:

Cameras and phones are rather easier to police in theatres, but arenas?

His sentiment is more about opening shows up, having less restrictions to a dynamic show, having people who make a purposeful effort as a driving force up front so the band can feed off their energy, than to look at putting in more restrictions about phones and cameras.

It is about less of a meritocracy. I'm sure he understands that it means only the able-bodied can be at the front. I'm not going to talk about if Neil has it in for people who are not in top physical shape, cos frankly that's just an absurd line to go down, the point is, there's simply more energy that flows onto the stage to drive more dynamic performances.

Able-bodied issue aside (I know that it's not realistic anyway), I can understand his pain, but audiences aren't like they were when people weren't obsessed with their cell phones and digital cameras. 'Living in the moment' and getting lost in the music isn't on the minds of those who just want photos or to text that they're in the front row. It's a generation thing. Allowing restrictions probably isn't feasible, but bands can't assume that those who just want to rock out are going to be front and center, because the youthful are attached to their electronic devices, and getting lost in the moment isn't a priority; the phones are. It's pretty sad.
    edited October 2012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Just the way it is. :( You can't just slow the world down and stop all GA at rock concerts because some people have bad knees or whatever. That's why they call it a disability I think.... Sorry, I didn't know how else to put that. :? Sorry about your knees though. But hey, the wheelchair sections are usually the second best spots in the place...
    Well, Iit's a good thing that PJ still has seats instead of GA. :mrgreen:
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Jeanwah wrote:

Exactly!! I'm not sure what Neil is talking about. Does he even know how his ticketing system is run? I'm guessing, nope!! :|
    DS1119 wrote:

But if the PJ organized the list, so that you got a number through them? First come first serve.

Then how is this different than reserved seating? Seriously. I guarantee I can stay up longer and later than anyone here. So let me get in line to be there when they hand out numbers at 11AM and then I can go back to bed only to take my spot at 6PM? If people want GA take the negatives along with the positives. You want to enjoy the day..go for it...enjoy it. If you want to be first in line sit your ass there.
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Then how is this different than reserved seating? Seriously. I guarantee I can stay up longer and later than anyone here. So let me get in line to be there when they hand out numbers at 11AM and then I can go back to bed only to take my spot at 6PM? If people want GA take the negatives along with the positives. You want to enjoy the day..go for it...enjoy it. If you want to be first in line sit your ass there.

Besides the obvious 1-2 people, who were the same throughout all of the tour, nobody left for the whole day and then claimed their spot back. It was just people leaving to use the bathrooms, to buy food or water, to carry sleeping bags etc. back to the hostel; there was rarely anyone who was gone for more than half an hour. I thought it all worked very well, with the known exception of Berlin 2.
  • Yeah the system is complete bullshit. PJ doesn't organize the list so that's irrelevant. Just because a few people get their first and it's their opinion that the list is good system gives them no right to instate it on all paying GA ticket holders. If I was going to a rare GA show and decided I wanted to wait 8 hours to get the best seat I could, I would have a huge issue with people coming back and trying to reclaim a spot they signed up for a couple hours ago. With lines its common courtesy, if people have to take a quick piss thats fine; people will save your spot. But you can't just leave to check out the city and go out to eat and expect your spot to be saved by some arbitrary, unofficial system.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I had GA tix in MT, showed up at the early entry line around 6:00, waited for half an hour, and was 6 ot 7 deep in front of Mike... All I'm suggesting is that EVERYONE follow a procedure where it's first come, first serve, i.e. get stamped or whatever, so NO ONE has to wait in line EVER. The guy who goes to the venue at 2 a.m. or whatever gets number 1 on the list, and so on... I don't see the different at all, except that not a single person has to sit there and rot in a line up for 15 hours. All that would be needed is someone to keep the list/stamp people, and an earliest possible time when people can show up ( midnight foot race from the parking lot to wherever the "line" starts ensues).
    But again, I had a pretty sweet spot and didn't wait in any line for longer than half an hour, so.... that makes it seem slightly insane that there were people in that line for 16 hours, and were practically dead on their feet once the show actually began.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I had GA tix in MT, showed up at the early entry line around 6:00, waited for half an hour, and was 6 ot 7 deep in front of Mike... All I'm suggesting is that EVERYONE follow a procedure where it's first come, first serve, i.e. get stamped or whatever, so NO ONE has to wait in line EVER. The guy who goes to the venue at 2 a.m. or whatever gets number 1 on the list, and so on... I don't see the different at all, except that not a single person has to sit there and rot in a line up for 15 hours. All that would be needed is someone to keep the list/stamp people, and an earliest possible time when people can show up ( midnight foot race from the parking lot to wherever the "line" starts ensues).
    But again, I had a pretty sweet spot and didn't wait in any line for longer than half an hour, so.... that makes it seem slightly insane that there were people in that line for 16 hours, and were practically dead on their feet once the show actually began.

How early can we line up in the parking lot? There will always be a line...for a spot or for a stamp.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

How early can we line up in the parking lot? There will always be a line...for a spot or for a stamp.
    That doesn't matter, because it's not a line and means nothing. First person to the person taking names and stamping hands at ?:?? o'clock gets it (and really, as long as you're the first 50 - 100 people, it's really a moot issue, no? Surely no one is crazy enough to fight someone for #1 when they are #10! If they do, then fuck them. An additional line in the parking lot would just be orderliness gone wild. :lol:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Haha yeah, and there would be a line to get to the list so it would be the same... allways these lines!

But the queing has been fucked up at some shows I've been to - mostly Dublin where the list-police fought the idiots who tried to get ahead of people and us normal ppl was sort of in the middle of it :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    DS1119 wrote:

Haha yeah, and there would be a line to get to the list so it would be the same... allways these lines!

But the queing has been fucked up at some shows I've been to - mostly Dublin where the list-police fought the idiots who tried to get ahead of people and us normal ppl was sort of in the middle of it :)
    Maybe they should just do a random draw of all GA ticket holders and determine entry order that way. I would get behind that.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Maybe they should just do a random draw of all GA ticket holders and determine entry order that way. I would get behind that.

They do this already. It's called reserved seating.
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

They do this already. It's called reserved seating.
    :roll: Okay, sure. Just get rid of all the chairs. :fp:
  • What it comes down to in my opinion is that everyone is obviously not ok with this system. So its wrong for a few fans, whether or not they've been to 50+ shows or have the lowest 10c #, to feel entitled to instate a system on everyone who is going.
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
    CanNotStay wrote:
    What it comes down to in my opinion is that everyone is obviously not ok with this system. So its wrong for a few fans, whether or not they've been to 50+ shows or have the lowest 10c #, to feel entitled to instate a system on everyone who is going.
    No, I agree that some people shouldn't just decide on something like this. That's bullshit. I'm just saying that it seems like a fair but much better system where no one has to suffer in line for hours upon hours could be created. I mean, obviously those other fans think that having to sit there like that sucks just as much as others think it sucks for someone to start some random list and decide it's okay. I just think that a lineless line makes so much more sense.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited October 2012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That doesn't matter, because it's not a line and means nothing. First person to the person taking names and stamping hands at ?:?? o'clock gets it (and really, as long as you're the first 50 - 100 people, it's really a moot issue, no? Surely no one is crazy enough to fight someone for #1 when they are #10! If they do, then fuck them. An additional line in the parking lot would just be orderliness gone wild. :lol:

I'm not trying to argue. It is good to think out of the box. But, eventually there will be a line formed in front of the person giving out the stamps. So to be in that first 50 you are going to have to get to the parking lot early to get in a good spot to reach the stamp line first. Then, you are going to be pissed when 40 friends of the people in front of you stop by to stand next to their friends. So to not have the friend issue you'll get to the parking lot at 6:00pm for the 6 am stamp so you know you'll be front of the stamp line. Soon enough, you'll start making a list of all the people who got to the stamp line early so you can go to the McDonalds for a burger and coffee.

Just like there is a line to get GA tickets early, there will be a line to get the early entry stamp.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on