Options

WE NEED GENERAL ADMISSION SHOWS IN THE U.S.!!

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Speaking for every concert I've ever been to, I agree. Seats just get in the way on the floor and reduce the energy of the crowd IMHO.
    guess you never seen them at msg or in philly or boston? some of the loudest crowds i ever been at were from pj seated shows and i've been to hundred's of show. i just saw the boss and estreet band at metlife stadium and the crowd and energy didn't compare to msg 2 2010 or philly 3.

this is the crowd we've been waiting for-ed philly 3

i like being able to take a piss and grab some beer during crapspacer slow songs or go look/buy merch and grab more beer during evenflow and get back in time for mike's solo and not have to worry bout my poster/merch being crushed or if some jackass try's to steal it i can easily catch them and beat the piss outta them. sorry sen this time i'm being honest bout evenflow.

Also I'm THAT guy at GA shows that always has people walk infront of them to go wonder around or look for their friend or gets kicked or falling ontop by idiot crowd surfers who think it's the 90's. crowd surfing died years ago and if you wanna do it at least work with the people who are trying to keep you up.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Okay, I have "cred" now, having been to the MT show with a solid spot on the floor. Just an FYI, I can now confirm that one does not need PJ-exclusive GA experience to know if they think GA is awesome or not, or whether or not it's more fun that seated floors. :roll: So now, with my "exclusive experience" I would like to say: PLEASE HAVE GA FLOOR AT EVERY PEARL JAM SHOW!! :)

:thumbup: glad you had an awesome GA experience for your first show! :)
  • Options
    How many threads do we need to devote to this topic?? There are two concurrently running right now and hundreds identical have preceded them! :roll:
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Hinn wrote:
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Please don't flame me for this but..

I don't get why we have non GA shows in the states, but in Europe we do. It was not the US but Denmark where the tragedy happened and people lost their lives...
    Yet I go to Copenhagen and the show is at a place that seemed so dangerous I was shocked pj would play there.

Why is it do you guys think that the US shows gets seats where no one has been hurt, but in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows..

Just an honest observation and I was curious as to others opinions on this.

I'm down for either way. The seats in the states work good for10c seniority... But the crowds in Europe were amazing with the GA crowds.. So I'm really undecided here.
    The Forum at Copenhagen was stupidly hot. Other than that, I'm not sure why you'd say it seemed dangerous. Care to explain? Curious. Sectioned off front section and all.

It has happened before, but safety in 2012 is a far cry from 2000. A lot has been written about this, the wider use of barriers - Ts, Ds, double Ds, Ts matched inside Ds, and so on.

People have been hurt in concerts EVERYWHERE. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by saying 'in Europe where it's happened before they still allow GA shows'. The norm in Europe for rock music is GA. Clubs obviously. Arenas and theatres still do seats, to be sure, but that's for comedy, plays, MOR and generally softer acts. Where proper rock acts are concerned, it's rare that seats will be in place anywhere, other than the permanent ones in the stands, in the circle.

The forum was hot yes... But here's why I said that. I was at Berlin 1-2 Stockholm and Oslo also. Berlin and Stockholm had huge crowds, close to 20000 each. Oslo had 9k and Copenhagen had 8 (I believe)

Each show besides Copenhagen had a normal crowd setup, big floors and lots of people. I went inside during the X set in Copenhagen and was like oh my god! The place was packed body to body from the stage all the way to the bar. There was only one exit on the side of the building, and it seemed far more dangerous than the other shows. I was actually concerned for people inside. That's also why it was so hot because so many people were packed in together.

See this photo? http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2012/07/ju ... hagen.html - the exit is To the far right and with 3 small stairs leading up to the main exit. Very dangerous if people needed to get out fast.

Here's another one - http://takingnotesandpictures.files.wor ... h-2012.png

The exit is to the far left. Imagine the people all the way against the right wall trying to exit if they had to. Would be tough.

I'm not saying that the crowd was dangerous, but the venue design was. And I also said It's happened in Europe - referring to the 9 people who lost their lives in Denmark. Those shows didn't happen in the USA and we get seats while Europe and other areas do not, but the tragedy happened there. Also surprised me that the only place I ever thought was a bad setup was also in the same country as the people who got killed. That's why I made the comments I did.

Again, the pj show in 2012 was great. I only said what I did about the venue because I could see a massive stampede in the event of a fire and or other emergency.

Hope I explained my self good enough for you. Here's one more for good measure.

http://www.twylah.com/PearlJam/tweets/2 ... 6604685312

Finally, I didn't mean why do they - meaning Europe, I meant why do they - Pearl Jam have the seating rules in the USA but not in europe.

those pictures alone are enough to say GA sucks
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    How many threads do we need to devote to this topic?? There are two concurrently running right now and hundreds identical have preceded them! :roll:
    till the next merch limited sell ,or the next rumor for shows,or some gossip about how much money the band gets,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i wonder how many europeans are not understanding that when we say seated arenas, on the floor, in the usa for pearl jam, that we don't actually mean that people actually SIT

seated floors means you have your chair/seat in the exact same location when you decide to use the washroom or go in late or early. how can that not be a good thing? of course we are standing the whole show. its just our spot on the floor isn't random and we have room for our elbows and arms...so many advantages it aint funny

and waaa to people who say they want to be with their 9 friends...cause most people dont go to shows in groups of 9
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited October 2012
    I do admit that being able to leave your assigned seat (which you never sit in) is a really nice convenience. It cuts out the worry of what happens if you have to use the washroom or go get water (although I would NOT want to leave a PJ show for any reason unless I really HAD to!! ... Nice to be able to leave during and after the opener though). For me, though, that's outweighed by the benefits of GA. I've had greats times at seated concerts of course... but they are NEVER quite the exhilarating and memorable experience that GA shows are! GA brings a crazy rawness to any rock concert that simply doesn't exist at seated shows.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    i wonder how many europeans are not understanding that when we say seated arenas, on the floor, in the usa for pearl jam, that we don't actually mean that people actually SIT

seated floors means you have your chair/seat in the exact same location when you decide to use the washroom or go in late or early. how can that not be a good thing? of course we are standing the whole show. its just our spot on the floor isn't random and we have room for our elbows and arms...so many advantages it aint funny

and waaa to people who say they want to be with their 9 friends...cause most people dont go to shows in groups of 9
    we like threesomes and up at Europe.. ;)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    ladydocNYC wrote:

Well this board does suffer from severe ADD syndrome but i agree how many threads do we need or how many different ways can people ask this ? ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

But I think a whole lot of people here know more than 9 other members who they'd like to spend some time with in the crowd...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

But I think a whole lot of people here know more than 9 other members who they'd like to spend some time with in the crowd...

people on the board are a very very small % of actual fans
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:

Well this board does suffer from severe ADD syndrome but i agree how many threads do we need or how many different ways can people ask this ? ...

i think hinn didn't read the 8 page thread from last month(this thread)
    i admit this has been talked about way to much
    and i'm still 100% way against GA floors
    i've read all the pro and cons and europe can cue for 6+ hours if they want! if they think THAT is fun :roll:
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    Speaking as a child of the nineties...
    I'm now a reserved seat guy :lol:
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    Speaking as a child of the nineties...
    I'm now a reserved seat guy :lol:

I know some people forget that fans as old as me have gone thru the GA shows experience with this band and it's not as if the band brings the same enrgy as back then they too have mellowed ....
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    ladydocNYC wrote:

i've read all the pro and cons and europe can cue for 6+ hours if they want! if they think THAT is fun :roll:

6? more like 10 :lol:

and yeah, it is fun. it's hanging out with friends, talking, sharing expectations about the show. GA allows you to stand where you want to stand, and with the people you want to be. and it's not like these arenas don't have seats, you can still get seated tickets if that's what you prefer.
  • Options
    I prefer assigned seats. I've got a decent number and usually get quality seats from Ten Club. Plus like others have said It's nice to roll up a few minutes before the lights go down and know you have a designated spot.

GA isn't awful either. If a show is GA I'll still roll up at the same time I normally would and post up by the soundboard. I'm there to listen to the music so as long as things sound okay I'll enjoy the show. Being up front is cool once for the experience but after that I'll never understand why people would want to be that close. The sound is mediocre up there and at this point the guys are almost fifty and not exactly doing anything crazy on stage.

In conclusion I guess this doesn't affect me too much, but I still prefer assigned seats.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:

and yeah, it is fun. it's hanging out with friends, talking, sharing expectations about the show. GA allows you to stand where you want to stand, and with the people you want to be. and it's not like these arenas don't have seats, you can still get seated tickets if that's what you prefer.
    for the record,i get in oslo venue with the last 5 10clubbers at early entrance and i got the rail...i diidnt line up at the venue..
    i was at fiasco bar all day..:)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

people on the board are a very very small % of actual fans
    Yeah I know... I meant "around here" to mean 10C members, whether or not they are on the boards.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    ladydocNYC wrote:

I have read this one. I'd actually posted in here beforehand.

Personally, I don't actually queue anymore, and I always have elbow room. Queued in Manchester 2009. Got my number. Didn't really care for it. Left for the pub. Went back to the line. Left for more pub. Went back to the line, queueing people wanted to talk to me so I was cool to hang about.

'Queued' for Berlin 09, Berlin 10. When I say queued, I was drinking in the park, climbing on the slides, mucked around in the sandpit. in 2010, come show time, I fucked off from the group in front to hang out another group in the stand. It may have had something to do with my general state.

Properly queued as number 1 for Werchter 2010, but it was because Pearl Jam were preceded by Black Keys, Alice In Chains, Vampire Weekend, Them Crooked Vultures and Arcade Fire, in that order. All bands I REALLY like. Besides, Arcade Fire shat over PJ, and I'd switched with some kids behind me so they could take the rail for half of PJ.

My current attitude to the queue is clearest with Copenhagen this year. Turned up late with drinks. Jumped in the front, worked backwards through the line, collecting full beer and cider cans from friends and random people who can't take the beers inside. Swigged it down. Went in with a bunch as the last lot to actually go in from the early 10c entrance. Slowly meandered to the fringe of the rail, a few people off to the side of some who'd been there since 7am or whatever.

I like GA. The queue, can't imagine I'd join up with that again. 2 very separate points for me.

I always favour having proper dancing room, I need it for my unique dancing ways at the shows. I don't really do getting squished. If I see a circle pit, I'm in there like a flash, but I'll back off if it fades away. I get to move around, good decent space all around me, unhindered by chairs as I bop up and down. Sure, I can be squished if I want, but it's choice. In some venues, I can head into the stands and take a seat too. And I can definitely go get more beers too, or go to the loo, and find my way back to my group(s) (except Stockholm, with their one-in-one-out rule from the front section)

I'd been to 14 North American shows. West Coast, East Coast, Midwest, both ends of Canada, in the stands, on the floor. I've been given a seat on the vertical aisles, and also on the front row of the 2nd block of seats. I so much as put a leg in past that line, and some security guy bears down on me as though it's truly a horrendous sin. Meanwhile there's all kinds of pot smoke being puffed, and nothing happens (and nothing should, hey mate, pass the bud). Bonkers. Japan and Aussie shows are more distant now, but the idea remains the same. There's just so, so, so much more freedom and choice where there is the option of an unhindered floor.

I did the other one just cause I felt like promoting Neil Young's book and that would just get lost in here. Besides, Neil isn't talking about a GA floor, but a compromise - 'festival seating' space at the front of stage, with seating behind that.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:

I have read this one. I'd actually posted in here beforehand.

Personally, I don't actually queue anymore, and I always have elbow room. Queued in Manchester 2009. Got my number. Didn't really care for it. Left for the pub. Went back to the line. Left for more pub. Went back to the line, queueing people wanted to talk to me so I was cool to hang about.

'Queued' for Berlin 09, Berlin 10. When I say queued, I was drinking in the park, climbing on the slides, mucked around in the sandpit. in 2010, come show time, I fucked off from the group in front to hang out another group in the stand. It may have had something to do with my general state.

Properly queued as number 1 for Werchter 2010, but it was because Pearl Jam were preceded by Black Keys, Alice In Chains, Vampire Weekend, Them Crooked Vultures and Arcade Fire, in that order. All bands I REALLY like. Besides, Arcade Fire shat over PJ, and I'd switched with some kids behind me so they could take the rail for half of PJ.

My current attitude to the queue is clearest with Copenhagen this year. Turned up late with drinks. Jumped in the front, worked backwards through the line, collecting full beer and cider cans from friends and random people who can't take the beers inside. Swigged it down. Went in with a bunch as the last lot to actually go in from the early 10c entrance. Slowly meandered to the fringe of the rail, a few people off to the side of some who'd been there since 7am or whatever.

I like GA. The queue, can't imagine I'd join up with that again. 2 very separate points for me.

I always favour having proper dancing room, I need it for my unique dancing ways at the shows. I don't really do getting squished. If I see a circle pit, I'm in there like a flash, but I'll back off if it fades away. I get to move around, good decent space all around me, unhindered by chairs as I bop up and down. Sure, I can be squished if I want, but it's choice. In some venues, I can head into the stands and take a seat too. And I can definitely go get more beers too, or go to the loo, and find my way back to my group(s) (except Stockholm, with their one-in-one-out rule from the front section)

In the Northern American shows, I've been given a seat on the vertical aisles, and also on the front row of the 2nd block of seats. I so much as put a leg in past that line, and some security guy bears down on me as though it's truly a horrendous sin. Meanwhile there's all kinds of pot smoke being puffed, and nothing happens (and nothing should, hey mate, pass the bud). Bonkers.

I did the other one just cause I felt like promoting Neil Young's book and that would just get lost in here. Besides, Neil isn't talking about a GA floor, but a compromise - 'festival seating' space at the front of stage, with seating behind that.
    I've never queued in my life. I don't like GA so that I can be on the rail.
    I get that there are simply 2 different types of people - GA people and reserved seating people... I just think that the GA people should win this argument because they're rock concerts and they should be kind of crazy. That's how they're meant to be. ;)
  • Options
    I don't know if GA would work for MSG shows does anybody know if MSG allows bands to have GA up front ?

I know last time i was at MSG GA show was way back for Jane's Addiction and it wasn't pretty i'd say at least 100 people bummed rushed the front for total chaos scene ...
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I don't know if GA would work for MSG shows does anybody know if MSG allows bands to have GA up front ?

I know last time i was at MSG GA show was way back for Jane's Addiction and it wasn't pretty i'd say at least 100 people bummed rushed the front for total chaos scene ...
    A quick google search showed Phish and Neil as having upcoming MSG shows with GA floors
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:

A quick google search showed Phish and Neil as having upcoming MSG shows with GA floors

So why won't PJ do the same after all they have done MSG in 98 2003 2008 2010 ..
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:

So why won't PJ do the same after all they have done MSG in 98 2003 2008 2010 ..

cause fans of phish and neil don't mosh? my guess

like someone else said earlier perhaps it because of insurance/liabilities in the usa
    bands/shows that have moshing can have hurt fans

any of the europe shows this summer have moshing??

moshing is so lame
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:

so he is suggesting a ga pit way up front and then farther back on the same floor, some seats?
    i'm not sure i follow that :?

i saw the pics from copenhagen this year. that ga floor looked brutally packed to me. in fact, i would say overcrowded and unsafe
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Do PJ fans really mosh?? From what I saw, a few people kind of started trying to, and everyone around them shut it down immediately. And from every video I've seen of GA shows in Europe and at festivals from the past 8 years, there was no real moshing happening as far as I could tell.... I mean, maybe a little gang of moshers crops up here and there for a song or two, but is it really an actual problem?? I kind of doubt it...
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Know what would be cool? If they did half their N. American shows GA, and half not. Then we could pick and choose (I know some people would then whine when the one they didn't want is the one in their town, but hey, people whine here either way already, so who cares?). :)
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:

ha ha a 10 hour wait in a line for a rock concert is "fun"? go right ahead and try to convince me about that...but it just won't work! :lol:
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:

ha ha a 10 hour wait in a line for a rock concert is "fun"? go right ahead and try to convince me about that...but it just won't work! :lol:
    It's not fun. It sucks. I just don't get why people bother lining up at all. It's like there is a slight loss of perspective there... Because it's not just lining up. It's also standing there at the rail without food or water or the ability to go to the bathroom for several hours. And a real fear of dehydration. Wtf - seems a bit mental. I mean, whatever floats your boat... I just don't get it. The pay off just doesn't seem to justify the sacrifice.
  • Options
    I agree. A friend and I were just talking about that. Going thru Europe with a bunch of GA shows would be sick. We just had one last week in San Francisco. However, we lost a lot of prime real estate to the V.I.P.'s from Oracle. Not complaints here, although the show did lack that energy and the sing alongs struggled.