I want to get into music, what bands or artists do I need?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited November 2012 in Other Music
I know ive probably asked this question before, but imagine, you know, or have a 13 year old boy or girl. And they walk up to you and say "I want to get into music, what bands and artists do I need to check out? What albums do I need to listen to?" Obviously this question is horribly open-ended and broad as it can encompass any genre or any artists you'd feel are essential.

So which albums and artists, are essential, must have, must listen? What would you buy this hypothetical teen?

For me, I'd start with the entire beatles dischography. I'd make sure they had all dylan's 60's/70's albums. I'd give them all the grunge bands albums. Because of their age, I'd heavily recommend siamese dream and mellon collie. The entire Radiohead dischography.

What would you all recommend and push on this teen?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    jack white
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    rollings wrote:
    jack white

Just saw that mofo tonight and as of right now besides PJ, he's as good and rock gets. He really is in his own league of rock and roll....he's un-fucking-believablly talented.....
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration
    Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line
    Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
    Patti Smith - Horses
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy and the Poor Boys
    Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
    Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Cypress Hill - Skull & Bones
    Ramones - Brain Drain
    The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    The Sonics - Here Are The Sonics
    The Wailers - The Fabulous Wailers
    Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash
    Metallica - Metallica
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    John Coltrane - Blue Train
    Beethoven - 9th
    Mozart - Requiem
    Holst - The Planets
    Ella Fitzgerald - Anything
    Louie Armstrong - Anything
    Johnny Cash - American IV
    The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
    Led Zeppelin - 1 - 4
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Tom Waits - Mule Variations
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    The Ramones - Ramones
    Bob Marley - Legend
    Micheal Jackson - Thriller
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Buddy Holly - Some Compilation
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
    Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker
    The Beatles - Revolver
    The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    Afghan Whigs - Gentleman
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
    QOTSA - Rated R
    Bob Marley - Kaya
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    Neil Young - Live Rust
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi
    Chris Whitley - Din Of Ecstasy
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Some others...
    Elliott Smith
    My Morning Jacket
    M. Ward
    Radiohead
    Raconteurs
    Nick Cave
    Neil Young
    Neil Finn
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Beach Boys (anything you can find)
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse
    The Allman Brothers
    Liam Finn
    Supergrass
    Blind Melon
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Ry Cooder - can't think of a particular albun off the top of my head
    John Martyn - Solid Air
    King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
    Genesis - Trespass
    Dead can Dance - Aion
    Bjork - Debut
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Roxy Music - For your Pleasure
    Bob Dylan - Bringin it all back home
    Lou Reed - Transformer

There are so, so many things I would recommend for a 13 year old to listen to, the list could go on and on and on. It might be easier to say what not to listen to.
  • Claireack wrote:
    Ry Cooder - can't think of a particular albun off the top of my head
    John Martyn - Solid Air
    King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
    Genesis - Trespass
    Dead can Dance - Aion
    Bjork - Debut
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Roxy Music - For your Pleasure
    Bob Dylan - Bringin it all back home
    Lou Reed - Transformer

:thumbup:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    wilco-yankee hotel foxtrot
    radiohead-in rainbows
    REM-reckoning
    U2-achtung baby
    led zeppelin-LZ II and physical graffiti
    the clash-london calling
    death cab for cutie-plans
    arctic monkeys-whatever people say......
    beastie boys-pauls boutique
    neil young-harvest
    grateful dead-for the faithfull/reckoning
    jimmy cliff-best of
    Bob marley-greatest hits
    david bowie-singles collection
    creedence clearwater revival-chronicle
    jimmy hendrix-live at monterey
    joe jackson-big world
    nirvana-nevermind
    oasis-whats the story morning glory
    rush-exit stage left
    talking heads-stop making sense
    ac/dc-back in black
    tribe called quest-low end theory

thats a good start :D
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Beatles
    Zeppelin
    Floyd
    Sabbath
    The Who

Pretty much any good music in my world is a result of what those band laid down as the frame work. You could toss in some of the other greats but I think it takes a bit more maturity in musical taste to get into alot of the stuff from Dylan or Radiohead for example.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DewieCox wrote:
    Beatles
    Zeppelin
    Floyd
    Sabbath
    The Who

Pretty much any good music in my world is a result of what those band laid down as the frame work. You could toss in some of the other greats but I think it takes a bit more maturity in musical taste to get into alot of the stuff from Dylan or Radiohead for example.

I agree with this post completely. A great start for a youngster.

It worked for me....
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    wilco
    my morning jacket
    r.e.m.
    neil young
    japandroids
    television
    ryan adams
    justin townes earle
    the replacements
    the hold steady
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    I think I'm in the minority here but I just don't get Radiohead at all. I tried, I really have...but every time I try I come up empty. Except for The Bends...that album is freakin awesome. Go figure ha.

But right now I think MMJ and any Jack White are second to none as far as new stuff goes. And you seem to be a Radiohead guy so I wouldn't say you have a problem with acquired tastes which these bands were for me.

Also, the Eagles and Jackson Browne are pretty good ones aside from your standards. There's tons of music out there man...it's a never ending search to find all the good shit! :lol:
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think I'm in the minority here but I just don't get Radiohead at all. I tried, I really have...but every time I try I come up empty. Except for The Bends...that album is freakin awesome. Go figure ha.

But right now I think MMJ and any Jack White are second to none as far as new stuff goes. And you seem to be a Radiohead guy so I wouldn't say you have a problem with acquired tastes which these bands were for me.

Also, the Eagles and Jackson Browne are pretty good ones aside from your standards. There's tons of music out there man...it's a never ending search to find all the good shit! :lol:

took me a few years to get them also.. it took time but it clicked eventually.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439

I didnt get radiohead until I saw them live on the in rainbows tour. Must see IMHO. That bands kicks major ass.
    Eagles yes. Jackson Browne? Yawn. Perhaps a good songwriter, but the only show I couldnt wait to end.
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Get_Right wrote:

I didnt get radiohead until I saw them live on the in rainbows tour. Must see IMHO. That bands kicks major ass.
    Eagles yes. Jackson Browne? Yawn. Perhaps a good songwriter, but the only show I couldnt wait to end.

Yea, never saw him live but just going off some of his songs.

Also love me some Police and Genesis.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    Call me crazy, but I would want to maybe add the Rolling Stones to any of those lists.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • in terms of new albums, i'd give this hypothetical teen, the essentials of modern indie, funeral, everything all the time, cease to begin, im wide awake its morning, cassadega, our endless numbered days, trans, plans, give up, chutes too narrow, moon and antarctica, good news,
  • so many amazing recs already but some others:
    dispatch
    g love
    mofro
    miles davis
    built to spill
    billie holiday
    jefferson airplane
    jimi
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Pearl Jam
    Foo Fighters
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Strokes
    Gaslight Anthem
    Rage Against the Machine
    Soundgarden
    Incubus
    Candlebox
    Linkin Park
    Third Eye Blind
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Blink 182
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Chris Cornell
    Audioslave
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Silversun Pickups
    Modest Mouse
    The Killers
    Cake
    The Offspring
    The Black Keys
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225

Not everybody has to like a band like Radiohead. If you cant get into them, then that's your indvidual choice. However I discovered them early this year and cannot get enough of them. As far as I'm concerned, they're pure genius, and that includes every album they've put out, even though their first album was just a very good "pop" album, they have progressed way beyond that in later years. For a 13 year old, I'd recommend listening to Ok Computer and In Rainbows. Or their first album Pablo Honey might appeal more to someone of that age, rather than something more sophisticated like Kid A, an album which takes some getting used to but once you get to know it, it's brilliant. Other bands I'd recommend are bands from the 90s such as the obvious Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden. Earlier bands high on my list include Pink Floyd, especially albums DSOTM and WYWH, Queen, Zeppelin, the Stones, U2, REM, the Police and the RHCP. I also like Muse, although to many people they go ott, I like their style and what they do on stage. A 13 year old might want to get into hair bands, such as Bon Jovi, Kiss and Guns'n Roses. Several bands from the 60s worth mentioning are the Beatles, Cream, the Doors and the Who. There is almost an endless range of different musical genres and great bands out there, it obviously depends on what kind of music someone prefers as to what they're going to listen to and there's plenty of good stuff coming out nowadays from bands like the Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, Snow Patrol etc.
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    Dont forget about Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.
  • [/quote]

Not everybody has to like a band like Radiohead. If you cant get into them, then that's your indvidual choice. However I discovered them early this year and cannot get enough of them. As far as I'm concerned, they're pure genius, and that includes every album they've put out, even though their first album was just a very good "pop" album, they have progressed way beyond that in later years. For a 13 year old, I'd recommend listening to Ok Computer and In Rainbows. Or their first album Pablo Honey might appeal more to someone of that age, rather than something more sophisticated like Kid A, an album which takes some getting used to but once you get to know it, it's brilliant. Other bands I'd recommend are bands from the 90s such as the obvious Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden. Earlier bands high on my list include Pink Floyd, especially albums DSOTM and WYWH, Queen, Zeppelin, the Stones, U2, REM, the Police and the RHCP. I also like Muse, although to many people they go ott, I like their style and what they do on stage. A 13 year old might want to get into hair bands, such as Bon Jovi, Kiss and Guns'n Roses. Several bands from the 60s worth mentioning are the Beatles, Cream, the Doors and the Who. There is almost an endless range of different musical genres and great bands out there, it obviously depends on what kind of music someone prefers as to what they're going to listen to and there's plenty of good stuff coming out nowadays from bands like the Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, Snow Patrol etc.[/quote]

agree with pretty much this entire post. good list of bands including snow patrol, who wouldnt be an obvious choice but are a great band. your view of radiohead is spot on. I once read Damien Rice (who I would include in this list, his albums 0 and 9 are essential)being described as the singer songwriter every other singer songwriter wants to be and is jealous of. Agree 100 percent. Along those lines, I'd say Radiohead are the band, every other band in every genre wants to be and is jealous of. As far as new, current, still active bands, they pretty much operate on another level, with every album being hailed as some masterpiece of mozart and shakespeare levels. without a doubt the 2nd most important band of our entire generation.
  • neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea

fantastic record!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea

fantastic record!

:D certainly is a must have
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    mofro
    JJ Grey and Mofro is a must
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Black Sabbath- We Sold Our Soul for Rock n Roll
    A nice little greatest hits to make sure they know what a good riff sounds like

Oh and 13 year old intodeep had very different music taste than 34 year old into deep has. I'd keep that in mind.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22