Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots

dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
edited June 2012 in The Porch
So...I watched the PJ20 documentary for about the fifth time and they of course explain PJs relationship with Nirvana along with Cornell/TOD/Soundgarden and briefly AIC. Smashing Pumpkins is mentioned a few times in the PJ20 book but nothing about Stone Temple Pilots.
I could've sworn when I saw STP in concert back in '93 that Weiland said he wrote this song on a bus with PJ and then they played Plush. Anyway, not sure if there was a relationship between these two bands or not or what they thought about eachother.
Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
Denver 10-22-14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Alot of the aforementioned bands are from the same area, so easier ties. I know STP is from Southern California but Smashing Pumpkins are from Chicago yet ties exist. I dunno.
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    FrankY59 wrote:
    Alot of the aforementioned bands are from the same area, so easier ties. I know STP is from Southern California but Smashing Pumpkins are from Chicago yet ties exist. I dunno.

The Pumpkins and Pearl Jam shared a bill with RHCP in the early days, hence the ties there. I can't think of a single tie between Pearl Jam and STP outside of them being popular at the same time and STP constantly being derided in the early days for being merely a Pearl Jam imitation.
  • violetpsychevioletpsyche Posts: 122
    Yeah, I remember all the criticism that STP were Pearl Jam rip-offs and then reading an interview in about 94 where Scott Weiland basically said, 'I hope our fans don't listen to that shit'. Being a big fan of both bands and an angry teenager at the time, I was quite offended and wrote a seethingly indignant letter to Scott Weiland :lol:
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Plush was written while Weiland and the drummer were very high in a hot tub after hearing the news story of
    17 year old Chelsea King. The images the news put out are of cadaver dogs trying to 'sniff' her out in a wooded area.The guy that killed her had been in prison for five years previous as he had molested a female neighbour which was very close to where King's body was eventually found.

In adddition Weiland was from San Diego as was Eddie..but it has been proven that Wicked Garden and Sex Type Thing demos were put out in 1990..pre Nevermind and Ten..so the idea that all the STP sound was a grunge rip-off is false..as for Plush..who knows.....STP ripped off Zeppelin way more than PJ lol....
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I was quite offended and wrote a seethingly indignant letter to Scott Weiland :lol:

Which then caused him to spiral off into a life of alcohol and drugs.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Yeah I recalling in an interview after Core came out and became kind of big and there was all the talk about them ripping off PJ, and Eddie just replied that he had never heard of them. I don't know if he was being a smart ass or what but that's all I recall hearing as I am big fans of both bands as well.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yeah, I remember all the criticism that STP were Pearl Jam rip-offs and then reading an interview in about 94 where Scott Weiland basically said, 'I hope our fans don't listen to that shit'. Being a big fan of both bands and an angry teenager at the time, I was quite offended and wrote a seethingly indignant letter to Scott Weiland :lol:
    :lol:
    Honestly, it never even occurred to me that STP might somehow sound like they're ripping off PJ. And now that I am thinking about it, I don't think they sound anything alike!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Yeah I recalling in an interview after Core came out and became kind of big and there was all the talk about them ripping off PJ, and Eddie just replied that he had never heard of them. I don't know if he was being a smart ass or what but that's all I recall hearing as I am big fans of both bands as well.
    Ed's definitely not big on bands copying a sound (not that is think STP did). That pisses Ed off. Of course he was being a smart ass. That he had never heard of them at that time is completely unbelievable. Of course he had. They were huge.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Ed's definitely not big on bands copying a sound (not that is think STP did). That pisses Ed off. Of course he was being a smart ass. That he had never heard of them at that time is completely unbelievable. Of course he had. They were huge.

Yeah I agree with you :) . I just didn't like saying that because, in reality, I don't know if that's what Eddie meant or not as I do not know his thought process. I can just go off of what he says.

I kind of was just using that as reference to the fact that they were probably not as close as the OP thought.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    DS1119 wrote:
    I was quite offended and wrote a seethingly indignant letter to Scott Weiland :lol:

ah - HA
    so it's her fault
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:

Yeah I agree with you :) . I just didn't like saying that because, in reality, I don't know if that's what Eddie meant or not as I do not know his thought process. I can just go off of what he says.

I kind of was just using that as reference to the fact that they were probably not as close as the OP thought.
    Oh for sure...sorry, maybe I sounded like I was saying directly to you of course he knew them dummy :D. I totally didn't mean it like that! I as just considering what ed said and calling him put on it I guess! sombetimes my posts come off slightly confrontational, but they're really not!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mysticweed wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

ah - HA
    so it's her fault

Pretty much. Usually I blame the teachers but in this case I blame violetpsyche. :fp:
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I don't know about you, but to me Ed's voice and Scott's voice sound similarly, I don't know how to say it, the pitch? the register? to me their voices sound alike, at least when they sing, but bear in mind I am not used to hearing English speaking people, for a non English speaker who doesn't hear people who speak English every day is easier to understand an Italian or a Brazilian speaking in English than to hear a British or an Australian person speaking in English, Americans are easier to understand generally, but not all, in fact, today I was listening to a promo album by INXS, it is a radio show from 88, the american woman in charge of the interview spoke very clearly, however, INXS band members were very hard to understand due to their Australian accent, so for someone who isn't used to hearing the English language being spoken on a daily basis, Ed's voice and Scott's voice may sound alike, more over, last night I was with a friend in a bar, this friend of mine doesn't know about much Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots, among many different songs we heard Big Empty, and he thought it was Pearl Jam, but since we all know about those bands TEN from 91 doesn't sound like Core from 92, nor Core sounds like Vs, and Purple doesn't sound like any PJ album, or Core for that matter...

Regarding Scott Weiland imitating Eddie Vedder, those who heard and saw both PJ and STP live, we know that Scott doesn't mimic Eddie, and he doesn't sing like Eddie, the Plush video thing is an editting from the fotage which distorts the image, and most people said that dude was copying the guy from Pearl Jam... nonsense... and what if they are both from San Diego? SD is a big city, Ed was on the punk rock scene, Scott never looked like a punk rocker, chances are they probably haven't met during those day, don't know, don't care...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• AnglaisAnglais Posts: 83
    all i know is both bands are fucking awesome :D
  • STP weren't actually "from" San Diego. Dean DeLeo lived down there so he booked the band gigs there at the hot venues, but the rest of the band lived in LA and they played there as well. Dean didn't actually join the band until 1989 or so and they didn't perform live with him until 1990, so there's only a small window that Eddie could have seen them. Before that it was Weiland/Robert DeLeo/Kretz/another guitarist playing together for a few years.

Robert DeLeo actually said he wrote the music for Plush sometime in the late 80's while working at a guitar shop. Weiland/Kretz years later penned the lyrics in the hot tub, with the lyrics being about the sad story the poster earlier mentioned.

Weiland said in an interview around 2000/2001 that the guys from Pearl Jam, sans Ed, would go to their Seattle shows and they got along pretty well. Weiland was pretty defensive in the early 90's about the Eddie comparisons, it really crushed him since it was bullshit (Wicked Garden 1990 demo is the proof, that is the definitive Core sound). Scott's early influences were Jim Morrison/James Brown/country singers. It's sad that the media pitted Ed and Scott against each other, they're both from similar backgrounds and loved a lot of the same music. Put them in a room and they'd make some fucking kick ass music.
  • Mike GossardMike Gossard Posts: 344
    Weiland had a running joke when introducing Plush. Whatever joke came to his mind. The one I think he used the most was "Here is a song we wrote today" and then they would launch into Plush. Or if they were playing with KISS, he'd say here's one by Paul Stanley wrote, and then they would launch into Plush.
    He was probably making this same joke when you heard this. He's done this countless times and still does it to this day.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    Anglais wrote:
    all i know is both bands are fucking awesome :D

I agree both bands are great and I don't think that Weiland and STP copied Vedder or PJ at all. I don't know what people are hearing there is an obvious difference between both lead singers and their sound. As for STP, I thought Core and Purple are the only 2 albums that are worth listening to. Good thing I lean toward PJ they've just continued to create great music...
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • I wish the members of these two bands were friends, because it'd be a dream for me to see STP for about 90 minutes followed by PJ for two and a half hours on the same night. A guy can dream -- right? 
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I read an old Rolling Stone article that basically said Scott would change up how he introduced Plush at concerts. One night, he would call it "Lead Paint Factory". The next night, he would sarcastically say that it was a song Pearl Jam had written for STP. 

It may have been the same interview, but I also remember Scott being complimentary of PJ. He just didn't like constantly being accused of ripping them off. 

Lastly, Jeff was asked about Scott's death during an online chat. He responded that it was sad, but he did not know Scott.   
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    I wish the members of these two bands were friends, because it'd be a dream for me to see STP for about 90 minutes followed by PJ for two and a half hours on the same night. A guy can dream -- right? 

A guy can dream about seeing any future concert - yes?
  • JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 379
    I wish the members of these two bands were friends, because it'd be a dream for me to see STP for about 90 minutes followed by PJ for two and a half hours on the same night. A guy can dream -- right? 

A guy can dream about seeing any future concert - yes?
    Concerts, sporting events, picnics, EVERYTHING will be back to normal! 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    The comparisons were from Sex Type Thing from the get go.   I remember thinking this guy is an Ed hack first time through, but if you got past  an initial sort of sounds like thought, and listened to more of Core, there was no way you could go away thinking he was a Ed hack.  The record companies were notorious for copycat sounds and bands, ride the wave. Silverchair and Creed got PJ copycat a lot too, neither are anywhere near the same.  I know how much you all love Creed, but PJ they are not (their cover of riders on the storm is amazing!)
  • JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 379
    “ I know how much you all love Creed, but PJ they are not (their cover of riders on the storm is amazing!)“

such a Morrison copy cat!! 

J/k it is indeed very good! 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I need to go listen to purple again. Such a great record.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Get_Right said:
    I need to go listen to purple again. Such a great record.
    came out 26 years ago today :smile:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    hrd2imgn said:
    The comparisons were from Sex Type Thing from the get go.   I remember thinking this guy is an Ed hack first time through, but if you got past  an initial sort of sounds like thought, and listened to more of Core, there was no way you could go away thinking he was a Ed hack.  The record companies were notorious for copycat sounds and bands, ride the wave. Silverchair and Creed got PJ copycat a lot too, neither are anywhere near the same.  I know how much you all love Creed, but PJ they are not (their cover of riders on the storm is amazing!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TaeePgygfY

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 781
    Was probably more the baritone voice Scott used on Core and to a lesser extent Purple. Tiny Music and No 4 really went down different paths and showed how versatile (and fucking good) a singer Scott was. I vaguely recall Ed saying Scott was copying his kick and Matt saying that those guys (STP) were just painful. Sounds like they didn't dig the songs and looked upon their problems with disdain. Though who knows they saw loved ones in music close to them succumb and could have been pissed history was repeating itself. Would be great to see STP at all (I haven't-only VR), and opening for Pearl Jam would be a HELL of a night. They're such a great band, brilliant musicianship (the grunge big four, STP and SP had amazing musicians mostly), interesting yet maddening chords, and those vocals (Atlanta-wow).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I was an STP fan before I was a PJ fan.  I never saw them with Weiland but have caught the new singer a few times.  They put on a great show.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I was fortunate enough to see STP on the No 4, Shangri La, and Self Titled #1 tours, as well as a holiday show Scott did at the 9:30 club in DC.  Incredible perfromances, truly engaging.  I went to see them on the No 4 tour as a teenager with my mom because I wanted to see disturbed and godsmack (openers), but ended up leaving a bigger fan of STP, still to this day.   Anyhow, if you like STP, check out Scott's autobiography.  Its a quick read but immensely moving. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2020
    Saw them with Weiland on the MTV Return of the Rock tour at the Patriot Center in Fairfax VA on Oct. 25, 2000 with openers Godsmack and Disturbed. I remember Weiland being an awesome high-energy performer. Have also seen STP with Chester and then two years ago with the new guy. Still love the songs but obviously it's not the same.