The National

Jean Louise FinchJean Louise Finch Posts: 82
edited April 2013 in Other Music
This is my first post in something other than the Porch. Hello!

I feel a little late to the party regarding the National. I'd heard of them, but had no idea about them. A few weeks ago, my local station was playing a great song, and I tracked it down: it was "Bloodbuzz Ohio" by the National. I picked up that album (High Violet) and I love it. Turns out they've been around for ages and I totally missed the boat. What should I get next? Are all their albums so awesome as this one?

Thanks!
Jean Louise
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Get "Boxer".

The National is a GREAT band, and even their earlier material is solid. "Alligator" is a good album too, but I would definitely suggest "Boxer" next.

Also, welcome! :wave:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    So happy when I saw the title of this thread.... High Violet is one of my favorite albums and there is something about Matt Berninger's voice that welcomes me home almost like the way Eddie's voice does....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Alligator, boxer, high violet

might be my favorite trio of any bands last three albums.

Very solid stuff on all three. def get boxer next
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Not posting this to be a jerk, but to let you know that you're not alone in thinking they are great:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=164069&hilit=the+national
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 523
    Cherry Tree is also a very solid EP, and I also like The Virginia EP and The White Sessions

I would suggest Boxer, Cherry Tree, and Alligator, followed by the other two (they have some live arrangements that are a touch different from their studio counterparts and a few extra studio songs)
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    edited June 2012
    one of the most consistent bands in the world. I'd get Alligator, Boxer and High Violet.

Not only do you have one of the best lyricists in Matt, but one of the best drummers in Bryan. Sufjan described Matt's voice as being like an older brother who isnt afraid to hit you in the face, but also will protect you on the playground. Bryans drumming is so incredible but its also so subtle. He isnt showing off his drum skills by hitting a bunch of things on his kit, but what he does play is among the best of any band.

Their music is so colorful, High Violet really does sound like the album cover.

The lyrics are so incredible. Matt is so adept at capturing that post college feeling, the idea that hits like an anvil where one day your dreams, desires, and hopes vanish and feel miles away. And you are left with some crappy job, long hours, mundane, meaningless and humdrum responsibilities, routines and the daily grind. That moment often called the quarter life crisis. Being stuck in some stuffy job, in a tie, when you should be outside doing something productive.

When i was stuck in a crappy job, this is a band that got me through.

"I sold my daylight for a career". "another uninnocent elegant fall into the unmagnicificent lives of adults" "I had a stilted pretending day, i put on an argyle sweater and put on a smile I dont know how to do this" "im a professional, in my beloved white shirt" "showered a blue blazered fill yourself with quarters" "you are pink your young young middle class they say it doesnt matter 15 blue shirts and womanly hands you are shooting up the ladder, your mind is racing like a pro now, oh my god it doesnt mean alot to you, one time you were a glowing young ruffian, oh my god it was a million years ago" "everything i love gets lost in drawers" "you could drive a car through my head in 5 minutes from one end of it to the other" "i leaned on a wall, and the wall leaned away" "sorrow found me when I was young, sorrow waited sorrow won" "the floor is falling out from everybody i know" "We miss being ruffians, going wild and bright In the corners of front yards, getting in and out of cars We miss being deviants"

the list is endless.

these lyrics hit home and they cut DEEP.

This band describes the period in your 20's where you can't find your way. Boxer is one of the best albums of the 2000's.

Take High Violet. My favorite album of 2010. the things a massive piece of art. Sprawling. Gorgeous. Layered. Multi Textured.

What is indie music? The National is indie. youd be hard pressed to find a better band. and they can create a straught forward rock song, but then blow your mind with an almost folk sounding song with a violin that haunts you years later on 90 mile waterwall off Sad Songs and Dirty Lovers
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    intodeep wrote:
    Alligator, boxer, high violet

might be my favorite trio of any bands last three albums.

Very solid stuff on all three. def get boxer next

youd be hard pressed to find any band whose last 3 albums are as consistently mindblowingly awesome as alligator, boxer, high violet. Unless your band has Thom Yorke in it of course. When High Violet came out, I said the same thing, the national put out the best 1-2-3 punch of any band in the last 20 years.
  • White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,811
    Buy them all :)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    one of the most consistent bands in the world. I'd get Alligator, Boxer and High Violet.

Not only do you have one of the best lyricists in Matt, but one of the best drummers in Bryan. Sufjan described Matt's voice as being like an older brother who isnt afraid to hit you in the face, but also will protect you on the playground. Bryans drumming is so incredible but its also so subtle. He isnt showing off his drum skills by hitting a bunch of things on his kit, but what he does play is among the best of any band.

The lyrics are so incredible. Matt is so adept at capturing that post college feeling, the idea that hits like an anvil where one day your dreams, desires, and hopes vanish and feel miles away. And you are left with some crappy job, long hours, mundane, meaningless and humdrum responsibilities, routines and the daily grind. That moment often called the quarter life crisis. Being stuck in some stuffy job, in a tie, when you should be outside doing something productive.

"I sold my daylight for a career". "another uninnocent elegant fall into the unmagnicificent lives of adults" "I had a stilted pretending day, i put on an argyle sweater and put on a smile I dont know how to do this" "im a professional, in my beloved white shirt" "showered a blue blazered fill yourself with quarters" "you are pink your young young middle class they say it doesnt matter 15 blue shirts and womanly hands you are shooting up the ladder, your mind is racing like a pro now, oh my god it doesnt mean alot to you, one time you were a glowing young ruffian, oh my god it was a million years ago" "everything i love gets lost in drawers" "you could drive a car through my head in 5 minutes from one end of it to the other" "i leaned on a wall, and the wall leaned away" "sorrow found me when I was young, sorrow waited sorrow won" "the floor is falling out from everybody i know" "We miss being ruffians, going wild and bright In the corners of front yards, getting in and out of cars We miss being deviants"

the list is endless.

This band describes the period in your 20's where you can't find your way. Boxer is one of the best albums of the 2000's.

Take High Violet. My favorite album of 2010. the things a massive piece of art. Sprawling. Gorgeous. Layered. Multi Textured.

What is indie music? The National is indie. youd be hard pressed to find a better band. and they can create a straught forward rock song, but then blow your mind with an almost folk sounding song with a violin that haunts you years later on 90 mile waterwall off Sad Songs and Dirty Lovers

Excellent post man.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    dcfaithful wrote:

the list is endless.

Excellent post man.

Agreed. I know exactly what they mean.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Cool advice, I like The National a lot, but just a casual fan. Need to dive in deeper and will be doing so soon! :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Miss ColadaMiss Colada Posts: 167
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

the list is endless.

Excellent post man.

Agreed. I know exactly what they mean.

Second that, great post. Nothing better than The National especially live, highly recommend it!
    1995 • 2006 • 2009 • Adelaide
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
    2010 • Madison Square Garden
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    The National have been my favourite and by far most listened to band the past couple years. Phenomenal band! So glad I took the time to listen to them after hearing Fake Empire a couple summers ago.
    Hands down in my top 3 live concerts as well and I've seen a ton of shows!
    Oh and check out their version of the Rains of Castamere from the Game of Thrones season 2 soundtrack it is haunting and fantastic :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    intodeep wrote:
    Oh and check out their version of the Rains of Castamere from the Game of Thrones season 2 soundtrack it is haunting and fantastic :D

They did a song for Game of Thrones? I will be checking that out for sure!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Yeah it was cool. It is the song that played at the end of the 9th episode of season two "blackwater"

It's the lannister song rains of castamere
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2l2_v6Ur8[url][/url]
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    I've had "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" stuck in my head recently and this version especially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIY3duxQvIc
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Everyone!

Thank you so much! I did a real post and run (pesky life got in the way of my message boarding), but am now reading everything everyone wrote. So glad to hear that there is so much other good stuff out there; I'll be hitting up my local record shop this weekend. Really, thanks. I love High Violet and can't wait to hear the others. So good to know that they've really affected a lot of other people, too.

Really, thanks so much.

Jean Louise
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I dig High Violet and Boxer... But Alligator is my fave. I can listen to it all the way through several times a day. It's a classic.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    I only have High Violet :oops: Have a handful of songs on itunes off Boxer which I like. Don 't have anything or heard anything off their first album.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • MJK1889MJK1889 Posts: 59
    A fantastic band, probably my favourite of modern times.
    Matt Berninger sounds a little like Michael Gira from Swans.

Only happier!
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    intodeep wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Yeah it was cool. It is the song that played at the end of the 9th episode of season two "blackwater"

It's the lannister song rains of castamere
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2l2_v6Ur8[url][/url]

Sadly, I cancelled HBO, so I haven't seen any of season 2. I did hear the blackwater battle wasn't anywhere near as good a the book though.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 235
    I have been listening Alligator a lot. Like, almost nonstop. As great as Boxer is, I might slightly prefer Alligator.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Great new single. Band is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 527oBKIPMc
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    The National are really superb, and if you love this band you should check out an English band called Doves, kinda similar, anthemic music and lyrics and the band is just as good as The National. Lost Souls is a good place to start.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    The Last Broadcast is a masterpiece.
    The Last Broadcast is a masterpiece.
    Sure is, I have that one on vinyl, I think all 4 of their albums are brilliant. Sorry to hi-jack The National's thread, back to them, hard to pick a fave song but I'll go with Fake Empire and Slow Show...
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017fh37

Live session with 'Demons', 'Heaven Faced', and the incredible 'Graceless'. All are good but 'Graceless' is the next great National song.
    Great new single. Band is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 527oBKIPMc

cool thanks, forgot they were coming out with new material :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Heard Demon's' on the radio yesterday and today, first listen I was a bit...meh, second listen, yes this could be really good. A grower I'm thinking...