VEGAN PARADISE!!! NO MEAT EATERS ALLOWED :)

2»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    gunter1976 wrote:
    i need an egg alternative. ive got to the stage where i really cant get past what eggs are, but i like to bake and wont do it again til i can find an egg replacement. someone please tell me such a thing exists.

Never tried it myself, but it very well is possible since I have eaten and enjoyed both vegan cakes and pies. Maybe someone on here knows, or try and google it. I could try and ask for a recipe of some vegan friends of mine, but that will take more time to get back to you for sure. ..

well see i figured there has to be one cause im sure vegans and even vegetarians like cake. and thanks.. im in no hurry.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Anyone in NYC or Hoboken try this out?

http://www.cinnamonsnail.com/
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    i need an egg alternative. ive got to the stage where i really cant get past what eggs are, but i like to bake and wont do it again til i can find an egg replacement. someone please tell me such a thing exists.

A variety of alternatives:

1) Ener-g Egg replacer - it is a powder you mix with water according to the directions and use in place of eggs
    2) Ground flax seed - again, mix with water (preferably in blender) and use in place of egg
    3) apple sauce
    4) simply omit eggs - try some recipes from vegan cookbooks /websites and you'll start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Isa Chandra Moskowitz's 'Post Punk Kitchen' website is a good one - her baked goods recipes are really good and she writes plenty on technique.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    JaneNY wrote:

A variety of alternatives:

1) Ener-g Egg replacer - it is a powder you mix with water according to the directions and use in place of eggs
    2) Ground flax seed - again, mix with water (preferably in blender) and use in place of egg
    3) apple sauce
    4) simply omit eggs - try some recipes from vegan cookbooks /websites and you'll start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Isa Chandra Moskowitz's 'Post Punk Kitchen' website is a good one - her baked goods recipes are really good and she writes plenty on technique.

oh thanx jane. i like the apple sauce alternative best..plus its the most accessible. will def check out post puk kitchen too.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I'm this... but I am not giving up the fish :lol:

:lol: you should try it though!
    My wifes dad was in the skins business :sick:
    I think she is contemplating leaving me for giving up the meat... No fish and it's a done deal :lol:

really? :lol: maybe you should try to convince your wife to give up the meat too! :P
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    really? :lol: maybe you should try to convince your wife to give up the meat too! :P
    Good luck with that :? :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    1) Ener-g Egg replacer

I use this often, it works, simple to use, and 1 box lasts FOREVER... if you can't find it, I could probably ship a box to you.

Has anyone tried Daiya cheese since reading this thread? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, it's SO GOOD!
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    pjtaper wrote:
    1) Ener-g Egg replacer

I use this often, it works, simple to use, and 1 box lasts FOREVER... if you can't find it, I could probably ship a box to you.

Has anyone tried Daiya cheese since reading this thread? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, it's SO GOOD!

Daiya is the shit.

On pizzas especially! At a restaurant here, they have gluten free pizzas with Daiya. Load that thing with veggies...good stuff!
    yep, that's how I found out about Daiya, my ex was also vegan and brought me a pizza... it was like eating cheese for the first time in FOREVER!!! I was shocked, been hooked on it ever since.. the pepper jack is SO good!
  • really? :lol: maybe you should try to convince your wife to give up the meat too! :P
    Good luck with that :? :lol:

well, you never know, try to talk to her.. :P
    I am HOOOKED on an extremely healthy snack, it is the tastiest thing I've eaten in a long time, and SIMPLE to make!!!!

Peel a banana, freeze it, then put it in a blender with chocolate soy milk. best shake EVER!
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    pjtaper wrote:
    I am HOOOKED on an extremely healthy snack, it is the tastiest thing I've eaten in a long time, and SIMPLE to make!!!!

Peel a banana, freeze it, then put it in a blender with chocolate soy milk. best shake EVER!

I use vanilla soy milk, and then add one cup of my favorite fruit, i.e. blueberries, blackberries, or peaches. Yum. And in mine, if I only have frozen fruit (in the winter), then I use the frozen fruit and an un-frozen banana.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    pjtaper wrote:

I'm going to try this! I've been very big on making smoothies with the NutriBullet the last few weeks. I cut all red meat out of my diet two months ago and I feel great (I couldn't give up chicken!).
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

I'm going to try this! I've been very big on making smoothies with the NutriBullet the last few weeks. I cut all red meat out of my diet two months ago and I feel great (I couldn't give up chicken!).

Nice!!! Trust me, it is shockingly good :)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    pjtaper wrote:

It is really good - I'm able to have grilled 'cheese' sandwiches again.

Little Anthony's in Albany uses this on their vegan pizza. (They also have regular pizza - very low key place, typical pizza joint feel).

Wish I liked bananas as they are such a mainstay in vegan smoothies, but I despise even the smell of them. However other frozen fruit such as strawberries work well.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    2 bad ass spots in so-cal veggi grill in irvine (1 in LA to) and the other is called the secret spot in Huntington beach! Both places are great. Veggi grill a little bit more expensive. Secret spots the shit!!!!
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I don't know if y'all like protein shakes, but I recommend VEGA Essentials. I get the raspberry and just mix a scoop with 1.5 cups almond milk and it's really good! Thinking about adding some Maca Powder and kale too (because a lot of kale is still never enough :lol: ) It also has 50% of your daily recommended vitamins and minerals.

Another thing is I tried Rip Esselstyn's Veggie lasagna- AMAZING! I also recently went grain-free and if you are looking for a grain/gluten free noodle, these are fantastic: http://cappellosglutenfree.com/products

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 small head of garlic, all cloves chopped or pressed
    8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    1 head broccoli, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 can corn, rinsed and drained
    1 package Silken Lite tofu
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    2 jars pasta sauce
    2 boxes whole grain lasagna noodles
    16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
    6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
    1 cup raw cashews, ground
    Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
    Sauté the onion and garlic on high heat for 3 minutes in a wok or nonstick pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions are limp and the mushrooms give up their liquid. Remove them to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve the mushroom liquid in the pan. Sauté the broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes and add to the mushroom bowl. Sauté the peppers and corn until just beginning to soften. Add them to the vegetable bowl.

Drain the silken tofu by wrapping in paper towels. Break it up directly in the towel and mix into the vegetable bowl. Add spices to the vegetable bowl and combine.

To assemble the vegetable lasagna :
    Cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole with a layer of sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This way the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy. Spread the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce. Add the spinach to the second layer of sauced noodles. Cover the spinach with the mashed sweet potatoes. Add another layer of sauce, the final layer of noodles, and a last topping of sauce. Cover the lasagna with thinly sliced roma tomatoes.

Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cashews, and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Let lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Makes 10 - 12 servings of sweet potato lasagna.
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    It's summer...time for Smart Sausages. :mrgreen:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016