VEGAN PARADISE!!! NO MEAT EATERS ALLOWED :)

pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello!!!
I figured the vegans of the board could use a spot to share their thoughts, recipes, good food spots, etc... I've been vegan for about 10 years, maybe longer, how about you guys? Please, post your favorite recipes... if this thread takes off, I'll post my vegan seitan philly recipe, it's SO good, I had to wash dishes for 4+ hours to get the seitan recipe...

Since EVERYONE loves bacon, but doesn't want to eat a disgusting pig, I figured I'd share this recipe...

Coconut Bacon
makes about 3 cups (enough for 4 - 6 sandwiches, depending on how big you make 'em)

3 large handfuls of large flake, unsweetened coconut
1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
2 Tbsp. tamari
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional, but recommended)

Preheat oven to 300. Place coconut in a shallow baking pan. Combine other ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over coconut. Use your hands to mix and make sure the coconut is evenly coated. Bake at 300 for 20 minutes, or until crisp. It will continue to crisp as it cools, and is best eaten at room temperature.

Taken from here:http://vegangoodthings.blogspot.com/2010/08/by-popular-demand-coconut-bacon.html?m=1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sugar-MagnoliaSugar-Magnolia Loveland, CO Posts: 233
    Very cool thread! I have recently made the decision to go meatless and feel so much better for it. I haven't gone vegan yet, but I have dramatically cut back on my animal products--soy milk, no marshmellows, etc. (Also no mainstream cosmetics.)

Any tips for beginning veggies? :geek:

Can't wait to try coconut bacon 8-)
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    What you mean by beginning veggies? Sorry, it's sunday, i'm a bit slow ;)

If you want to try a good vegan cheese, this is SOOOO good... even my cheese eating friends agree! http://www.daiyafoods.com/where-to-buy
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    I'm neither a veggie nor a vegan, but I like good food.

When I was in Chicago last September, I went to a restaurant called Native Foods. I'm from Germany, and the usual American fast food cuisine was not appealing to me that much after a while. This one sounded good, so I went in there. I ordered a Chicken burger, and it was really good. Very fresh and tasty. I only found out some weeks ago when I was there again, that this is a vegan restaurant. The chicken was no chicken after all. :oops: :lol:

It is a chain thing, with some stores across the States. It is good. You can check out their menu here: http://www.nativefoods.com/
    wow, looks AMAZING!!!! Thank you for sharing, I checked out the locations...Boulder, CO Opening May 29th!! hell yeah!!!!!
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I'm not a veggie/vegan...but I love trying all sorts of foods..this is a yummy veggie,hearty, flavorful stew..with a great name.. ;)

Eddie Vedder Stew:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons oil
    1 c. chopped onion
    2 tablespoons garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
    6 carrots, halved and cut into 1-inch chunks
    3 russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    1 medium cauliflower, chopped
    4 cups vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 cinnamon stick
    0ne 15-oz. can of chick peas, drained
    2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped , or a 14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes
    cilantro leaves (for garnish)

Directions:

Heat oil in large heavy pot. Add onion and saute for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Sprinkle with curry powder and cook for one more minute, stirring to mellow flavors. Add carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, broth, honey, and cinnamon stick, and bring to boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chick peas and tomatoes, and simmer 15 minutes more. Garnish with cilantro.

Serves 4.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.ph ... edder+soup
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    man, that sounds good... wish it wasn't 80degrees for the next week, or I'd make it today!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited May 2012
    Vegan or just vegetarian? Whilst I do eat meat, I often eat vegetarian too and could share yummy stuff. But I'm not vegan so may make a faux pas like when I cooked a meal for friends which included a vegan. I had honey in my recipe :oops:
    Post edited by redrock on
    pjtaper wrote:
    What you mean by beginning veggies? Sorry, it's sunday, i'm a bit slow ;)

If you want to try a good vegan cheese, this is SOOOO good... even my cheese eating friends agree! http://www.daiyafoods.com/where-to-buy

The whole world of vegan/vegetarianism can be tough to navigate. There are lots of products that have "hidden" ingredients that are really animal by-products, and I'd like to avoid stuff like that.
    Thanks for the cheese tip! That's the one thing I have trouble with.
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    Yeah, the Daiya cheese is SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! I eat honey, I'll wear leather, it's blood and bones that really gross me out in food
  • Adding my favorite vegan recipe for chickpea tacos. I probably eat this 2-3 times a month. I add avocado, salsa, corn, tons of cilantro and any green/lettuce you like.

http://happyherbivore.com/2008/05/chickpea-tacos/
    Love ain’t love until you give it up
  • i love the idea of having a vegan topic over here :)
    i'm not a vegan. however, i do not eat meat (only fish), but i'm planning on giving up eating fish too.
    I dont eat meat in almost a year and i really feel a lot better!!
    I would suggest people to try not to eat meat for a week. i will guarantee you won't miss it that much, if you think about the animals that are not being killed :)
    Adding my favorite vegan recipe for chickpea tacos. I probably eat this 2-3 times a month. I add avocado, salsa, corn, tons of cilantro and any green/lettuce you like.

Thanks for this website!
    I just spent the last hour and a half over there :thumbup:
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    by the looks of things, this should maybe be for the vegos too... been a vego for over ten years but have never had the urge to go vegan
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
    Adding my favorite vegan recipe for chickpea tacos. I probably eat this 2-3 times a month. I add avocado, salsa, corn, tons of cilantro and any green/lettuce you like.

AWESOME RECIPE!!! I am honestly walking tot he store now to pick up a bag of chickpeas... I love hummus, I'm sure this will be AMAZING too!
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Was thinking about starting one of these threads. All you vegetarians who are thinking about it- do it!! You won't regret it! I switched to gluten free breads and pastas as well and feel SO much better.

We'll start of with two of my favorites:

I originally was eating faux meat products to make the transition (i.e. boca/morningstar. Wanting to cut those out I started playing with tempeh and tofu and also this great veggie burger recipe for at home:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/

Also, LOVE these enchilada recipes. I try not to use oils as well, so for sauteing, I recommend veggie broth or just water. They are from Rip Esselstyn:

Engine 2 Enchiladas

Serves 6

16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    32 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    30 ounces fat-free, frozen hash-brown potatoes
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    8 ounces canned diced green chilies
    18 corn tortillas
    3 16-ounce jars fat-free enchilada sauce (Whole Foods' Religious Experience is excellent)
    12 sprigs cilantro, rinsed

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425 F.
    Sauté mushrooms and spinach on medium heat in large non-stick skillet for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft. Drain liquid, and remove to large bowl.
    Cook potatoes on high heat in sprayed skillet for 10 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Sprinkle potatoes with cumin and chili powder.
    Gently combine potatoes, green chilies, mushrooms, and spinach.
    Line the bottom of sprayed 9 X 13 casserole with 6 tortillas.
    Place half of the vegetable mixture over tortillas and cover with one jar of sauce.
    Repeat the process: tortillas, vegetables, sauce.
    Top with the remaining six tortillas and jar of sauce.
    Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    I am a vegetarian , not vegan although I don't wear leather, suede, fur, etc. I drink alternative milks, unsweetened almond being my current fav. I eat limited amounts of cheese and egg. I also love to cook, so I have a few recipes I will post. Here is the first!

Vegetarian (or Vegan if you use vegan mayo) burgers:
    3/4 cup dried brown lentils,
    rinsed and picked over
    2 1/2 teaspoons table salt
    3/4 cup bulgur wheat
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped fine (2 cups)
    1 large celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
    1 small leek, white and light green parts only, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (2 teaspoons)
    1 pound cremini or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 6 1/2 cups)
    1 cup raw unsalted cashews
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    Ground black pepper
    12 burger buns for serving

PreparationBring 3 cups water, lentils, and 1 tsp salt to boil in medium saucepan over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are just beginning to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Drain and dry. Cool lentils to room temperature.

While lentils simmer, bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt to boil in small saucepan. Stir bulgur wheat into boiling water and cover; let stand off heat until water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Drain in fine-mesh strainer; press out excess moisture. Transfer bulgur to medium bowl and set aside.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, leek, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Spread vegetable mixture on second baking sheet to cool; set aside. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet; heat then add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Spread mushrooms on baking sheet with vegetable mixture; cool to room temperature.

Process cashews in food processor until finely chopped; stir into bulgur along with cooled lentils, vegetable-mushroom mixture, and mayonnaise. Transfer half of mixture to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped; mixture should be cohesive but roughly textured. Transfer mixture to large bowl; repeat with remaining mixture. Stir in panko, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.

Line baking sheet with paper towels. Divide mixture into 12 portions, about 1/2 cup each; set patties on baking sheet. (Patties can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 3 days.)

Grill burgers, without moving them, until well browned, about 5 minutes; flip burgers and continue cooking until well browned on second side, about 5 minutes.

Happy cooking and eating! :)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

these sound yummy! I'll have to check them out.. :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    afroannnie wrote:

these sound yummy! I'll have to check them out.. :D

Happy Herbivore has A LOT of good recipes. I made the Hippie Loaf and it's REAL good as well.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Great thread! I've been vegan for almost 5 years. I'm too zoned out today to post recipes, but I recommend Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Vegan Brunch for some very delicious recipes; her book Vegan with a Vengeance is also really good.

I second the comment that Daiya 'cheese' is really good - I use it to make grilled 'cheese' sandwiches with Earth Balance margarine.

If you ever go to Albany, go to Little Anthony's Pizza - it has vegan pizza as well as regular pizza. It is an authentic pizza place.

If you go to Syracuse, go to Strong Hearts cafe on E. Genessee - 100% vegan -very casual and you can get vegan breakfast all day.

If you go to New York, Blossom, Red Bamboo and Candle Cafe are good. Red Bamboo is lower Manhattan, Blossom is lower west side, and Candle Cafe is upper east side.

Ottawa has a great restaurant called The Table. Not 100%vegan, but 100% vegetarian, and they have vegan chocolate cake.

There's a place in Toronto similar to The Table, behind the Delta Chelsea, and another vegan place but I forget the name; its been a while since I went there.

I'm vegan, but I'd rather eat out than cook whenever possible, so I scout out vegan places wherever I go.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Great post, love all the info!!!
    If in Denver, you MUST go to City O City for a breakfast burrito and their seitan wings... Watercourse foods is really good...

I didn't get to make the gabanzo tacos yet, BUT, my beans have now soaked overnight, can't wait for lunch!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    i love the idea of having a vegan topic over here :)
    i'm not a vegan. however, i do not eat meat (only fish), but i'm planning on giving up eating fish too.
    I would suggest people to try not to eat meat for a week. i will guarantee you won't miss it that much, if you think about the animals that are not being killed :)
    I'm this... but I am not giving up the fish :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif

:lol:

Seafood was the HARDEST part for me- especially spending so much time on the shores.

Another one from http://runningwithtongs.com/2012/02/08/crazy-over-lentils/:

Red Curry Lentil and Vegetables
    Serves 4

1 tablespoon coconut oil or canola oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 carrots, peeled and diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups green beans, washed, trimmed and cut in half
    1 tablespoon red curry paste
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup cooked chickpeas
    1 cup dried red lentils
    1.5 cups vegetable broth
    2.5 cups water
    1 cup frozen peas
    2 cups lightly packed baby spinach
    Heat the oil in a medium heavy bottom pot over medium- high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Stir in the garlic and green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the curry, salt and pepper and cook for one minute. Add the chickpeas, lentils, broth and water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes until lentils are tender. Uncover and add the peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach at the last minute and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with brown rice, naan or pita.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pjtaper wrote:
    If in Denver, you MUST go to City O City for a breakfast burrito and their seitan wings... Watercourse foods is really good...

I didn't get to make the gabanzo tacos yet, BUT, my beans have now soaked overnight, can't wait for lunch!

City O City dam good place can't wait for August.
    pjtaper wrote:

City O City dam good place can't wait for August.
    They have pretzels now, with AMAZING dip!!!! Chips also... August will be the shit!
  • i love the idea of having a vegan topic over here :)

:lol: you should try it though!
    made the garbanzo tacos for dinner... DAMN THEY WERE GOOD!!!!!!! I used pita bread and melted vegan cheese in it... thank you for the great recipe! I'll try another one from here tomorrow. :corn:
  • gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    pjtaper wrote:
    Since EVERYONE loves bacon, but doesn't want to eat a disgusting pig, I figured I'd share this recipe...

Don't get me wrong, being a vegetarian myself for about 18 years, I can only applaud this thread and the alternative ways of food enjoyment it endorses.

However, reading the sentence I quoted above, I am wondering what exactly is your (OP) motivation to be a vegan? I certainly do not eat pigs myself, but yet I do not consider these animals to be "disgusting", even if they have their fun in the mud. Or maybe you have been referring to the taste of these creatures, but then again I never had anything against that either when I still used to eat meat.

Anyways, just wondering. ..
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i need an egg alternative. ive got to the stage where i really cant get past what eggs are, but i like to bake and wont do it again til i can find an egg replacement. someone please tell me such a thing exists.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    i need an egg alternative. ive got to the stage where i really cant get past what eggs are, but i like to bake and wont do it again til i can find an egg replacement. someone please tell me such a thing exists.

Never tried it myself, but it very well is possible since I have eaten and enjoyed both vegan cakes and pies. Maybe someone on here knows, or try and google it. I could try and ask for a recipe of some vegan friends of mine, but that will take more time to get back to you for sure. ..
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

:lol: you should try it though!
    My wifes dad was in the skins business :sick:
    I think she is contemplating leaving me for giving up the meat... No fish and it's a done deal :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif