ipod/apple question

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
edited May 2012 in Technical Stuff and Help
So I have a 160 GB ipod classic with over 20,000 songs on it. I have my entire CD collection (about 600) and numerous downloads/concerts from the internet. My question is can I back these up somewhere so when/if I get another ipod I don't have to rip all the CD's 1 by 1. There's got to be a way to put them all somewhere so I can just upload it all from a single source. Basically I want to backup my ipod to an external device. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1 TB external HD. Could I use that? If so how?
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    didn't you save the files when you ripped them the first time?

anyways, i believe there is software to do what you want....

http://download.cnet.com/windows/ipod-backup/
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I would suggest you search for and download purple ghost. It is cheap and has the added bonus of allowing you to copy other ipods' content to your computer and your library. I have used it many times and it works great. Why go through the hassle of ripping all your discs if your buddy already has done it on his ipod? Apple makes it almost impossible to copy an ipod's content because they are only worried about copyright crap and profit.
    Elliot Hall, Purdue University - Mar 17, 1994
    Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996
    Deer Creek Music Center - Aug 17, 1998
    Deer Creek Music Center - Aug 18, 2000
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana - Jun 22, 2003
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana - May 07, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - September 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - September 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - October 1, 2014
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I used a program called idump. Worked pretty well.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Don’t you have your music in a library on your pc? I have the same iPod with 20K in songs but I guess I do it differently. All my music is in a large library file. iTunes connects to the library and transfers files to my iPod. I am always adding music to my library and then connect the iPod so that it updates. I backup my library to a separate hard drive (using Syncback). I have put so much work into the library -that is my investment. If I lose my library, I can plug in the external HD and point iTunes to it and I’m back in business.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    81 wrote:
    didn't you save the files when you ripped them the first time?

this
    aqo2t.jpg
  • The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    CJ260717 wrote:
    Don’t you have your music in a library on your pc? I have the same iPod with 20K in songs but I guess I do it differently. All my music is in a large library file. iTunes connects to the library and transfers files to my iPod. I am always adding music to my library and then connect the iPod so that it updates. I backup my library to a separate hard drive (using Syncback). I have put so much work into the library -that is my investment. If I lose my library, I can plug in the external HD and point iTunes to it and I’m back in business.

+1 (and I'm IT challenged!)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I would suggest you search for and download purple ghost. It is cheap and has the added bonus of allowing you to copy other ipods' content to your computer and your library. I have used it many times and it works great. Why go through the hassle of ripping all your discs if your buddy already has done it on his ipod? Apple makes it almost impossible to copy an ipod's content because they are only worried about copyright crap and profit.

awesome. I lost all my content from my external HD, where all my music was. wanted to upload all my ipod songs to my new EHD. hopefully this does that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD