**Kitchener Fanviews Here**

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Set list: Long Road, Last Exit, Animal, Save You, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, Insignificance, Gimmie Some Truth (by John Lennon), Faithfull, Jeremy, Even Flow, Leatherman, Habit, Blood

1st encore: Soon Forget, Can't Keep (solo on Uke), Man of the Hour, Small Town, Daughter/(WMA), Black, Alive

2nd encore: In My Tree, Indifference, Better Man, Baba O'Riley (by The Who), Yellow Ledbetter

edited: fixed typo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Pretty unbelieveable!!! Im still in awe of what happened tonight!!!!

--Colin
  • wow. that was maybe the best PJ show ive ever seen!
    My name is HilaryJam, and I approve this message
    (The artist formerly known as BritneyJam)
  • last exit...not last kiss was the second song. i think!@!!
  • Before what was supposed to be "Habit", Ed intro'ed about what this song is about and said, "It's called "Habit"". They played for about two seconds and fucked it up. Ed went back to the mic, said the exact same thing what the song was about, but this time he said, "It's called "Leatherman". So after "Leatherman", he says the same thing for a THIRD time, and says, "It's called "Habit"", and they finally got it right.

Also, don't know if anyone noticed, but Ed almost fucked up "Even Flow" too. He had his guitar on, all ready to play, and they went into "Even Flow". I was thinking, "He plays guitar on this now?", but he realized he was on the wrong song, laughed/smiled, and put his guitar down in time to sing the first line. He broke a string a few seconds into "Insignificance", but his tech switched his guitars as he sang the first verse, and never missed a beat.

About five songs in, Ed said, "Only this far in, and you're already better than the pansies in Edmonton". The crowd then started an "EDDIE!" chant,to which he said, "Is that your nickname for Edmonton?" (he late apologized for the Edmonton comments). He was VERY talkative tonight.

Amazing crowd, and that's coming from a person who attended the three Mexico shows. You could just feel it. After Ed's little pre-set, he said, "It's gonna be a good night". He wasn't kidding. They were ON.

KILLER poster too, my favourite one so far, besides Saskatoon. It's also worth noting that the Kitchener posters sold out, but they were selling the Thunder Bay and Calgary Ames posters as well. No credit cards at the merch booth.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    yahtzee wrote:
    last exit...not last kiss was the second song. i think!@!!

right, it was 'last exit'
  • how were Sleater Kinney?

howd the audience react to them?
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    PJVITALOGY wrote:
    how were Sleater Kinney?

for their first show with PJ i thought they were great...some of the crowd was not into it (as with many opening bands) but others went nuts

i was into it cause they rock of course
  • I never thought i would see a better concert than buffalo 03. but kitchener tonight was the best, maybe i'm a little biased casue its my hometown, but my god unbelievable. habit followed by blood, and they were so in to it tonight. great show, can't wait to see if they top it tommorow and tuesday but i don't think that is possible.

come on present tense, not for you , red mosquito
  • The "Habit"/"Blood" combo is fucking SCORCHING.
  • Absolutely awesome show! I never heard LBC sound so good. Mike was on fire, throwing down riffs like crazy. Ed tries to do Soon Forget in the encore. Slips up, then tries it again from scratch. Gets half way, royally screws it up again, then says "ahh FUCK IT!" and starts playing Can't Keep on the Uke! By the way Jerkoff, I did notice that Ed had his guitar when Stone started playing Even Flow. Ed quickly realizes he's messed up and quicly stashed his guitar. He later explained that the ribbing on Edmonton was just fun, that he couldn't believe he was there days ago, had a really good time, and was now bashing them. He did seen quite taken aback by the crowd, even referencing that it felt like they were playing a small club show.

All in all, a somewhat predicatable setlist, but a great energetic show. Lookin forward to the next 5!

Props to PBM for having Mike acknowlege your CCFA shirt.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • PJVITALOGY wrote:
    how were Sleater Kinney?

I thought they were awesome and I think I saw some people in crowd react "what is this?" in a good way. I know my buddy who is unfamiliar with them was blown away.

Janet rocks hard and kicks rightious ass on those drums.
    Barrie '98
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
  • BeerBaron wrote:
    What a great show. The highlight of the show for me was Indifference, with the whole arena singing one of the verses. Gimme Some Truth was great too and was very unexpected.

The 10C section was on fire tonight. We must have collectively sang abotu 5 or 6 songs for Ed, with him giving us the thumbs up a couple of times.

I called Long Road as the opener too :)

You where right I told my friend before the song and was expecting it but it still surprized me you guessed it good work
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Toronto 10/01/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchner 09/11/05
    London 09/12/05
    Hamilton 09/13/05
    Toronto 05/9/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
    Please play SATANS BED
  • ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    WICKED show tonite!! Both the band & crowd spectacular!!!

WOW!!!
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • Anyone else think right before playing alive, when ed was talking about mother love bone and the such, that they were gonna bust out crown of thorns?

And did anyone hear me yell out right when everyone went silent there crown of thorns on mikes side on the side stage?

Yeah, made an ass outta myself there!

Hope it's on the boot :P
  • corduroy10 wrote:
    All in all, a somewhat predicatable setlist

I beg to differ. Five songs made their tour debut tonight, including "Leatherman" and "Habit", which are both quite rare.

I actually had made a list of songs that, for various reason, I REALLY want to hear at the four shows I'm going to this week. It ended up being 32 songs, and they played nine of them tonight. I know I won't hear all 32 (although they are all somewhat plausible songs, nothing like "Leash" or anything like that), but that's pretty good for only one of the four shows.

The others I'm really hoping to hear in London, Hamlton and Toronto:

Thin Air
    Off He Goes
    Breath
    Oceans
    Crown Of Thorns
    In Hiding
    Light Years
    Down
    Red Mosquito
    Whipping
    Footsteps
    Evacuation
    Gods' Dice
    Low Light
    Hard To Imagine
    Undone
    Black Red Yellow
    Sad
    Bee Girl
    Alone
    Wash
    Present Tense
    I Got Shit
  • Anyone else think right before playing alive, when ed was talking about mother love bone and the such, that they were gonna bust out crown of thorns?

I was thinking that or Hungerstrike with Corin Tucker because he made reference to Jeff and Stone, but then he threw Matt and Mike in there too. Awesome version of Alive so all was good.
    Barrie '98
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
  • KrohnKrohn Posts: 79
    Wow! Pearl Jam came to my home town!!! What a rockin show. Only the 2nd show I've seen, but it was amazing. The crowd was so into it. I swear we almost brought the scoreboard down before Yellow Leadbetter. It was crazy loud. The entire set, and show was amazing, I just cant put it into proper words. I've lived in this city for 25 years, and without a doubt I've never experienced anything close to this. Wow...

Mike giving props to the CCFC thank you card just topped it off. (I was that little guy sitting at the fundraising table!)

Wow!

Still on cloud 9
    Krohn
    www.wishlistfoundation.com
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • "Crown Of Thorns" and "Hunger Strike" both came to mind.

Was it just me, or was that the longest version of "Black" ever played? The ending went on and on, seemed like they didn't want to stop.
  • What a sweet show.

Ed came on before Sleater Kinney and played Hide Your Love Away. I cried, I was so excited. Although I didn't fully appreciate it at the time, it was even better because none of the people over six-feet tall had taken up residence in the 10 rows in front of me and I had a clear view of the stage.

After the first song, Long Road, (tribute to 9/11 I assume although no words were spoken about it) everyone totally rocked out. My God it got sweaty fast, but it was so much fun.

Some of Ed's comments off the top of my head:

(all paraphrased and in no particular order)

"It feels like a bar in here... or maybe that's just because I'm drunk..."

After Insignificance Ed explained that he wrote the song because Seattle was home of Boeing which has a division that is one of the leading manufacturers of warplanes. He said it was quite different to be in Canada where we don't have such a questionable war hanging over our heads everyday. He went on to say that as Americans, they provide other countries with weapons and then accuse them of being dangerous.

Ed called Canada beautiful on several occasions.

He did call the Edmonton crowd pansies although I think he felt pretty bad about it afterwards. He told us he just said it to get the crowd going. "Fuck those fuckers in Edmonton!" (everyone screams) "See?"

He called Matt a stallion and said he would have to let one of the fans from the first 3 rows up on stage to see first hand how he plays... but no one ended up going on stage.

I'm drawing a blank on which song it was, but Ed said something to the effect of "That was amazing to see so many people acting in unison. When you do that for something important it scares the shit out of people"

I'll have to check the boot to figure that one out better, but that is the gist of it.

Other highlights:

Matt must have sent 4-5 sets of drum sticks out into the crowd at the end of the show and I saw some guitar picks that made it as far back as the tenth row.

Near the end of the first encore one guy in the crowd got totally tackled by a security guard after being chased around on the floor for a bit.

The people beside me smoked no less than 6 or 7 cigarettes and I got really nauseous at one point. It's been a long time since I've been subjected to that much cigarette smoke. Bleh. Long live the laws in Ontario that ban smoking in public buildings! Why couldn't I have people smoking WEED beside me instead?

Heh.

All in all, I will never forget this night. My favourite band played a stellar show in my hometown and I experienced it all from the 11th row. Sorry I don't have a more technical review of the singing or music... I'll leave that up to the rest of you.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    black never stopped. i wanna check the exact timing of that song and see exactly how long it went. the love boat captain extended 'love' singalong was great too, and it sounded much better than on the '03 tour.
  • Jerkoff wrote:
    I beg to differ. Five songs made their tour debut tonight, including "Leatherman" and "Habit", which are both quite rare.

Yeah now that I think about it you are kinda right. The habit was very good, and Soon Forget was definately unexpected, and I really digged Faithful. I just meant that there seems to be a lot of consistency with a lot of the setlists played in Canada, with new additions sprinkled in as they go along. I'm certainly not complaining, it was one of the best shows I've been to.

I'm still holding out for Tremor Christ, and Satan's Bed. Pipe dream I know.
    Barrie '98
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
  • Okay, just got home and WOW! That was by FAR the best show I've ever seen. I might be biased because my fanclub tix were way better than any I've ever had before. But there's no denying that was a smoking show. I'm still buzzing from the energy!
    I finally got to see YL live! I know its not a big deal cause they play it all the time, but it was my first, and wow.
    LBC was smokin, what a great version. I noticed that Boom wasn't out for most of the songs, and the ones he was on you could barely hear him.
    It was great to hear Gimme Some Truth in there, after a quick little rant about Bush.
    Mike did the solo to Faithful (I'm pretty sure ;))behind his head, man they smoked that song too.
    Habit and Blood, what a way to end the main set. Eddie came out after to slow it down with Luke the Uke. Tried Soon Forget, but only got through about half, cause he screwed it up bad. Started right into Can't Keep. I never noticed before how much that sounds like Battle of Evermore. Weird.
    Man of the Hour was a nice surprise, and Small Town (which Eddie told us was called Small Town in a Big Country) was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. The whole crowd was SO into it. Then you throw in Daughter, Black and Alive. Just in awe at this point. Alive was the most energetic I've seen the band in a while, it was amazing.
    The whole band was just unbelievable, they just seemed to feed off our energy. We got a 5 song second encore which is more than I had even hoped, 3 of which I'm SO very happy to have seen. God I can't wait to see what they break out in Ottawa, they're gonna have to do some Oh Canada or something in our nations capital. The crowd started singing it tonight right as PJ were taking the stage, it was too cool.
    Anyway, I'll probably make a little more sense tomorrow, so I'm off to bed, gonna have some rockin' dreams tonight no doubt!

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Jerkoff wrote:
    "Crown Of Thorns" and "Hunger Strike" both came to mind.

Was it just me, or was that the longest version of "Black" ever played? The ending went on and on, seemed like they didn't want to stop.

Yeah I'd Like to see the time on that one I thought the same thing!!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Toronto 10/01/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchner 09/11/05
    London 09/12/05
    Hamilton 09/13/05
    Toronto 05/9/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
    Please play SATANS BED
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Mike did the solo to Faithful (I'm pretty sure ;))behind his head, man they smoked that song too.

i'm pretty sure that was during habit... i think.
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Started right into Can't Keep. I never noticed before how much that sounds like Battle of Evermore. Weird.

i noticed the same thing.

great f'n show!
  • uninnocent wrote:
    i'm pretty sure that was during habit... i think.

i noticed the same thing.

great f'n show!

Oh, it totally coulda been Habit, both those songs rocked my ass!
    I'm sure I'll probably remember in the morning (yeah right, more likely when I listen to the boot).

Peace
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Oh, it totally coulda been Habit, both those songs rocked my ass!
    I'm sure I'll probably remember in the morning (yeah right, more likely when I listen to the boot).

Peace

don't take my word for it. i experienced it high.
  • uninnocent wrote:
    don't take my word for it. i experienced it high.

They don't call me Dopey for nothing, I was a touch inebriated myself :D
    Someone sober must know...

Peace
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    They don't call me Dopey for nothing, I was a touch inebriated myself :D
    Someone sober must know...

Peace

there ain't no sober people in canada. you crazy!
  • Jaidra wrote:
    I'm drawing a blank on which song it was, but Ed said something to the effect of "That was amazing to see so many people acting in unison. When you do that for something important it scares the shit out of people"

Was after "Indifference", I believe.
  • Damn, that was incredible!
    I think Blood and MOTH were definately the highlights of the night. They went completely psycho on Blood - it was awesome to see. And they nailed MOTH (I swear Ed almost got a little choked up in the beginning of it). And Ed BUTCHERED Soon Forget, way worse than I've ever heard him do before - it was awesome (too funny!):)
    It looked like they didn't want to leave. They already had the lights on for Baba, but the crowd was going too crazy to let them go, so they played Ledbetter. They really seemed to enjoy the show, probably because the crowd was amazing. Ed got us very involved, we sang along to lots of different bits and eveyone was jumping around in unison with the lights flashing on us.
    But the best part was at the end of the night when my little sister (who is only aquainted with PJ through me, otherwise she listens to top 40 stuff) turned to me and said she now has a huge crush on Mike McCready and Matt Cameron.
    Even though it wasn't my favorite setlist ever, they made every song incredible. The last show I went to (Toronto) didn't even compare. Though my enjoyment was probably partly due to having 10C seats for the first time, which were way better than I expected (Side-stage, Stone's side, 2nd row, right in the aisle).
    Unbelievable, I can't wait to hear the boot, and to see them again tomorrow. The only problem is, there's no way my voice will make it through the next couple of days.

"It was Luke's fault" (Ed after stumbling on Soon Forget at Kitchener '05)