Options

So..pretty obvious the Ed RSD was not limited to 2500?

13»

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I have a feeling they may have printed 2,502 copies.....Gus and Otis at the pressing plant usually like to nab a copy for themselves.

Case closed, problem solved!
    Is that in the tolerance of the random sample done by the accounting firm of JOE, JOE and JOE CPA?

Yep.....I am usually not very tolerant of the conspiracy theories on these boards, but I can tolerate the immaterial deviation in the number of copies pressed.
    I love accounting humor
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    the inventory-takers had to sniff some meth so they could finish counting the sheep.

I once sniffed some sheep after I finished my meth.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    the inventory-takers had to sniff some meth so they could finish counting the sheep.

I once sniffed some sheep after I finished my meth.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    81 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Is that in the tolerance of the random sample done by the accounting firm of JOE, JOE and JOE CPA?

Yep.....I am usually not very tolerant of the conspiracy theories on these boards, but I can tolerate the immaterial deviation in the number of copies pressed.
    I love accounting humor
    :lol::lol: Who doesn't??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    pjradio wrote:
    700 independent record stores were involved...lets say each got 2 (average...some more, some less...I know 3 out of 5 record stores here didn't get ANY copies & the one that i got mine at, had only 1 copy)...around 1500 copies

The only store in Alaska to do RSD did not get any copies at all. So that's (theoretically) 2 more that went somewhere else.

I think that there are a lot on ebay because the greedy flippers got to the larger stores first and bought up every single copy there was, leaving none for anyone else. Or the store owners who got some just held them back to sell on ebay, knowing they could get alot more than the sticker price.

There have been a lot on ebay...but there have also been a lot of people here looking for one, having failed in their attempt on RSD.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    pjradio wrote:
    700 independent record stores were involved...lets say each got 2 (average...some more, some less...I know 3 out of 5 record stores here didn't get ANY copies & the one that i got mine at, had only 1 copy)...around 1500 copies

The only store in Alaska to do RSD did not get any copies at all. So that's (theoretically) 2 more that went somewhere else.

I think that there are a lot on ebay because the greedy flippers got to the larger stores first and bought up every single copy there was, leaving none for anyone else. Or the store owners who got some just held them back to sell on ebay, knowing they could get alot more than the sticker price.

There have been a lot on ebay...but there have also been a lot of people here looking for one, having failed in their attempt on RSD.
    Wait. Are you implying the op has more than 1 and is looking to flip them? Sheesh.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Making them limited is what makes them desirable and collectible, which drives people out to record stores. I think that's the whole point of Record Store Day; to get people into the stores buying music. If they weren't desirable, and you could pick them up whenever you wanted, people wouldn't be chasing after them and they wouldn't be out in droves on RSD.

I used to collect baseball cards and I liken RSD stuff to that. You have your regular everyday base cards (like standard album releases that are more widely available) and you have your chase/special insert cards that are limited (like RSD releases that are limited and highly sought after). The chase cards are what help drive the overall sales.

From initial reports, seems like RSD was successful.

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/news/record-sales
  • Options
    cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    Sawyer...Its also pretty obvious that you are a pain in the 10C's ball sack...But no one puts that up on a post... ;)
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • Options
    cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    Until now.... :shock:
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • Options
    firstly i think sawyers correct that there are more then 1500..more like 2000-2500 i guess
    same goes for the other pj related rsd 7" po brad and star anna ...all with different print runs.

i think rsd announce the amount they have been told they will get...so for them every release was as stated.
    ed 1500
    brad 1400
    mike 300
    po 400

this is what went into the stores..so if tenc or the artist then release sonme more after thats up to them..

if they said there were 5000 of each press you wouldnt get up at 5am que outsiide in the cold..had spend your cash on these vinyls..and im guessing most of us stuffed a few non pj items on the visa as well..

this is what rsd is about..

so after this is all said..i still need a ed 7" anyone..sawyer plase can i have your doubles then ;)
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    pjradio wrote:

Wait. Are you implying the op has more than 1 and is looking to flip them? Sheesh.

:-?

No. Why would you think that? I'm sorry, but I don't understand. For the most part, I have no idea who the flippers are on this board. But I do know they exist, because merch routinely shows up on ebay within minutes of it being put on sale, to members only, in Goods. Only for double the price, or more.

I was simply addressing the issue of why there might APPEAR to be more than the stated pressing number out there on ebay - one theory might be that flippers picked up lots of them and are selling them there. If that were the case, it would certainly explain why there was a low production number, yet a high number of these on Ebay.

But I in no way speculated about who those flippers might be. So I'm not sure how you made that leap.

Hope that is more clear now.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    pjradio wrote:

:-?

No. Why would you think that? I'm sorry, but I don't understand. For the most part, I have no idea who the flippers are on this board. But I do know they exist, because merch routinely shows up on ebay within minutes of it being put on sale, to members only, in Goods. Only for double the price, or more.

I was simply addressing the issue of why there might APPEAR to be more than the stated pressing number out there on ebay - one theory might be that flippers picked up lots of them and are selling them there. If that were the case, it would certainly explain why there was a low production number, yet a high number of these on Ebay.

But I in no way speculated about who those flippers might be. So I'm not sure how you made that leap.

Hope that is more clear now.[/quote]
    Aww I'm just playin with you. I know that wasn't your intent.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i'll trade 2 of my extra's for a fort lauderdale EV solo ticket in the fall

this post for entertainment purposes only, any refrence to actual events is purely coincidence, i do not have any records, please don't pm me. thanks. mgmt
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    81 wrote:
    this post for entertainment purposes only, any refrence to actual events is purely coincidence, i do not have any records, please don't pm me. thanks. mgmt

:lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    i'll trade 2 of my extra's for a fort lauderdale EV solo ticket in the fall

:fp: :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited April 2012
    kasedoug wrote:
    Making them limited is what makes them desirable and collectible, which drives people out to record stores. I think that's the whole point of Record Store Day; to get people into the stores buying music. If they weren't desirable, and you could pick them up whenever you wanted, people wouldn't be chasing after them and they wouldn't be out in droves on RSD.

I used to collect baseball cards and I liken RSD stuff to that. You have your regular everyday base cards (like standard album releases that are more widely available) and you have your chase/special insert cards that are limited (like RSD releases that are limited and highly sought after). The chase cards are what help drive the overall sales.

Really? Because I would desire one if each record store in N. America had 10 copies each, and I'm a collector.
    And I don't think RSD is about people flipping records for profit at all. I mean, I don't think that RSD is about solidifying the small collectors' base. It's about increasing the popularity of records again and reaching a bigger market who can rediscover vinyl, and that ain't gonna happen if the price gouging keeps it a niche market.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    kasedoug wrote:

Except if its so hard to get those "special" baseball cards and no one knows anyone who got one, people probably won't buy into it.

I think the thing with RSD is it was successful because not every release was limited to 1500. People who were into the non-pj related stuff probably got what they were looking for. You could of line up before stores opened and still not gotten the eddie vedder record.

I would say 1500 is too small of a run, and too easy for flippers to turn a profit on. 3000 copies would of probably relived the demand a little more.

If all the RSD releases were so rare that no one could find them on RSD, it would kill the reputation of RSD. Luckily the non-pj releases were easier to come by, so we're all complaining because the specific releases we wanted were very rare and extremely difficult to track down.