Options

Do You Still Listen To Backspacer?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited April 2012 in The Porch
I can't believe it was released two and a half years ago, but I was choosing a cd for the van ride with the family, and I decided to throw Backspacer in.

I REALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM.

And I was bit surprised at how solid a record it actually is, and wondered to myself why so many people here had a negative reaction to it when it came out.

I'll admit, it wasn't my favourite, but none of the last several have actually been my favourite when it first came out. Many of them have had to grow on me over time. Self titled especially. Riot Act was probably the most accessible to me upon first listen of all in the last decade.

What I really don't get is the dislike for Supersonic. That is one killer song. I love it.

So my question is....after all this time, do you ever put Backspacer on the turntable or cd player anymore, or was it just something you put on when it was still new just to listen to new Pearl Jam?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I LOVE Backspacer! IMO I think it's their second best album. This was the album that fully got me into Pearl Jam. I love it from beginning to end. Of course my favorite Unthought Known but I also really love Supersonic, that song kicks ass!!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    I was just listening to it yesterday, after a long while. Actually, supersonic is the one song from it that I don't like for some reason. It's a pretty solid record though
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    So many good songs on Backspacer! I really like this album, also.

Lot of people don't seem to care for Amongst The Waves, also from what I've read. "Takes the wind out of my sails.", and other similar comments.

Just try to listen that song, or, even better yet, sing it with Eddie at the top of your lungs...wow!

"Gotta say it now, better loud, than too late."

Don't even get me started on Unthought Known...just listened to Buenos Aires 2001 version tonight on the way home from work...again, WOW!
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    To be honest, no. Haven't listened to it in a long time. I don't want to say since it came out, but that might be true.

I just get drawn to everything else in PJ's catalog when I want to listen to them.

I think there are some decent songs on it, and at certain points some masterful lyric writing by Ed, but overall, it's pretty low on my personal ranking of their albums.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    I have it in one of my "records on walls" frames and listen to it regularly. In fact I spun it about a week ago. I really dont think there is 1 single "bad" PJ album. I don't understand all the hate for the last 3. As much as ten got me into PJ when it came out, I'd much rather listen to riot act. I believe my local radio stations only think ten is the only PJ album.
    a wise man investigates what a fool passes by

4/26/03 - pittsburgh
    4/28/03 - philly
    7/05/03 - camden
    7/12/03 - hershey
    5/28/06 - camden
    5/20/10 - msg
    5/21/10 - msg
    6/25/11 - upper darby - EV
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    To be honest, no. Haven't listened to it in a long time. I don't want to say since it came out, but that might be true.

I just get drawn to everything else in PJ's catalog when I want to listen to them.

I think there are some decent songs on it, and at certain points some masterful lyric writing by Ed, but overall, it's pretty low on my personal ranking of their albums.

I think I like it because, unlike most of their other works, it's just a good solid rock record. all of their other records are solid, but they bring something else to the table, some kind of angst or deep emotion. this has that too at some points, but it's more on the surface and just kind of right there, ya know?

give it another good honest spin, you might be surprised.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    . I believe my local radio stations only think ten is the only PJ album.

that's nearly every radio station my friend. that and VS.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited April 2012
    I always liked Backspacer, I usually listen to it, especially on CD, since it a short album I listen to it while I'm doing something else, it's been a while since I last spun it...
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Eh, it's okay, but definitely not my favorite. Just a little too poppy for me.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:

I think I like it because, unlike most of their other works, it's just a good solid rock record. all of their other records are solid, but they bring something else to the table, some kind of angst or deep emotion. this has that too at some points, but it's more on the surface and just kind of right there, ya know?

give it another good honest spin, you might be surprised.

I'm in agreement with you that that is the highlight quality of this record. Ultimately when I discovered that about it, I appreciated it more. But I don't know, when I hear it... it just leaves me feeling flat.

I'll give it another listen though. It's Pearl Jam, so I still will have no objection to subjecting my ears to it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    . I believe my local radio stations only think ten is the only PJ album.

that's nearly every radio station my friend. that and VS.

On a good day, they might play daughter or elderly women. I've also heard given to fly a very few times.

4/26/03 - pittsburgh
    4/28/03 - philly
    7/05/03 - camden
    7/12/03 - hershey
    5/28/06 - camden
    5/20/10 - msg
    5/21/10 - msg
  • Options
    Eh, it's okay, but definitely not my favorite. Just a little too poppy for me.

Poppy??? Where is supersonic, just breathe, Johnny guitar, the end, atw, SOS, fon, gsmf, where are any of them poppy. Such a bad choice of word. Just my opinion. Not trying to be a d&%$

4/26/03 - pittsburgh
    4/28/03 - philly
    7/05/03 - camden
    7/12/03 - hershey
    5/28/06 - camden
    5/20/10 - msg
    5/21/10 - msg
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    I like it a lot. Not their best but very solid. And I 100% agree about supersonic it was both me and my uncles favorite song from the album right off the bat. I now like amongst the waves and maybe a few others a little more than it but still one of their better songs IMO
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    great record.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I can't believe it was released two and a half years ago, but I was choosing a cd for the van ride with the family, and I decided to throw Backspacer in.

I REALLY LIKE THIS ALBUM.

And I was bit surprised at how solid a record it actually is, and wondered to myself why so many people here had a negative reaction to it when it came out.

I'll admit, it wasn't my favourite, but none of the last several have actually been my favourite when it first came out. Many of them have had to grow on me over time. Self titled especially. Riot Act was probably the most accessible to me upon first listen of all in the last decade.

What I really don't get is the dislike for Supersonic. That is one killer song. I love it.

So my question is....after all this time, do you ever put Backspacer on the turntable or cd player anymore, or was it just something you put on when it was still new just to listen to new Pearl Jam?

My favorite Pearl Jam album, followed closely by Yield and Vitalogy. So, yeh... I listen to it.

I would bet heavily, it will go down by most here as one of their best. But, "most recent" doesn't fly here. I wish people would just listen and stop reading other fans reviews. Then you'd get better feedback right away.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    I like it but I rank it at the bottom of the pj catalogue. However that just tells you how strong of a catalogue pj has.
  • Options
    Happy JulioHappy Julio Posts: 161
    I think it's a good record but far from their best. Too many of the middle tracks seemed mid tempo, overly polished even. I still bump Got Some and Force of Nature but for the most part, it's middle of the road for me.
    2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
  • Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 364
    Yep, love it. The End still gets the tears welling up. (Though I do think there are a couple of stinkers - Johnny Guitar is always a skip.)
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Love Backspacer! I haven't heard it in a while since I haven't listened to the band all that much. It's a really tight album and it was great to hear a good majority of it at the Hartford show in 2010.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Yes I do.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Really liked it when it first came out and kind of forgot about it for a while. Dug it up about a month ago and remembered how good it is. And yea I totally agree...Johnny Guitar is always a skip although it's not bad live.

I felt so bad when they dedicated that song of every one they have to the 80something year old crew member at the Spectrum. :lol:
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I still spin Backspacer quite often, the last time was about a week or so ago I think. I think it's a pretty solid record, although I would have preferred a 'stronger' ending - I love The End but would have preferred something a bit harder than Speed of Sound and Force Of Nature before it.

The way I think of it is this - when I listen to PJ on my iPod I tend to shuffle all of the songs and there aren't any Backspacer songs that I skip.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    mfc2006 wrote:
    great record.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    Yes and I still love it!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    Have liked BS from the beginning and still play it as I find it holds up just fine to the test of time. I agree that some of the other recordings take time to digest and fully appreciate but BS clicked with me from the start and I appreciate that for a change. I don't find it too poppy either. I think there is a great mix of song styles and ATW is a killer anthem and Supersonic has one of my favorite lyrics ever ("I've been thinking I already know, nothin bout nothin or so I have been told. I'm not the paper I'm more like the fold, cut the crease put the shit in the hole".) Genius.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yes I do, just as any other PJ record. Love them all, but don't listen everyday to each one. depends on my mood. they are all great. 8-)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I havent listened to it for a while, not because I dont like it but because I've discovered another band that I really like and have been listening to them a lot. Nevertheless I do like BS, the only song I would consider to be "poppy" would be The Fixer, which they obviously made to appeal to a mass market. My favourite songs on it are FON, UK, ATW. Also like Johnny Guitar and never understood why there was so much hate for this song, some people think the lyrics are weak, in my opinion they are not all that bad. I dont think it's a bad album, as someone before me said PJ have never put out a bad album, some are stronger than others, which is the case for any band.
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    backspacer is good to listen to when you dont listen to it for awhile. its just not as strong as other records, not saying its bad though. definitely a fun record, but like i said its at its best when you havent listened to it in like a month and you're in the mood for it
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    No, I don't. I just don't really feel any big inclination to ever play the songs from that album, especially when I have so many other (and to my ears, mind and heart) superior options to choose from when it comes to Pearl Jam's catalog. Way too much Brendan O'Brien audible on Backspacer.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Dudes, it's pretty bad.