Options

Mutant Fish a result of the BP oil spill

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited April 2012 in A Moving Train
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/ ... p=features

this is just a huge shame ! but it happened and it's done.

Godfather.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It happened and it's done, but shouldn't we be doing EVERYTHING we can to prevent another spill like this?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    It happened and it's done, but shouldn't we be doing EVERYTHING we can to prevent another spill like this?

duhhhh :lol: yeah brother I think that oil spill actually helped to create new and stiffer regulations...I don't know what they are :mrgreen: but I rtemember seeing a program on t.v about it some time back.

Godfather.
  • Options
    This just makes me sad to read this. I know it's "just fish and just shrimp" but they are still living things and it makes me sad especially when I read "oozing sores" and no eyes. They are defenseless. All because of this nonesense. Truly a shame.

Maybe I'm just a big wussie and a softie when it comes to animals and living things. I don't know.

But sad story...poor fishes and shrimps :(
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • Options
    This just makes me sad to read this. I know it's "just fish and just shrimp" but they are still living things and it makes me sad especially when I read "oozing sores" and no eyes. They are defenseless. All because of this nonesense. Truly a shame.

Maybe I'm just a big wussie and a softie when it comes to animals and living things. I don't know.

nothing is "just"..we and them are creations of God. ;)

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

nothing is "just"..we and them are creations of God. ;)

Godfather.

Thank you :) That's how I think of "us" as well.
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • Options
    BP has maintained that Gulf seafood is safe, saying in a statement, "Seafood from the Gulf of Mexico is among the most tested in the world, and, according to the FDA and NOAA, it is as safe now as it was before the accident."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/ ... z1sUsNMHVt

Yeah, sure...its fine
    I mean, you dont eat the eyes anyways, right :roll: *smh*
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    bp should have paid more than it did.

we have not learned anything from this.

just wait, it will happen again...

and then everyone is gonna be angry for a month and then forget all about it...

:corn:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Godfather. wrote:

Is it "done", Godfather? No really, is it done?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Godfather. wrote:

duhhhh :lol: yeah brother I think that oil spill actually helped to create new and stiffer regulations...I don't know what they are :mrgreen: but I rtemember seeing a program on t.v about it some time back.

Godfather.

i'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. :lol::lol:

didn't we? i think so. can't tell ya a thing about them. some talking head on tv said something like that.....

new and stiffer regulations....but are even the old ones enforced??

case in point...bp falsified and lied on safety records, the government says 'meh, no big deal'

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-1 ... -case.html

BP Whistle-Blower Says Gulf Atlantis Facility Remains Unsafe

BP Plc (BP\)’s Atlantis facility remains unsafe, according to a whistle-blower who said in a court filing that the company’s second-largest oil producer in the Gulf of Mexico is operating under permits BP obtained by lying to regulators.

“Immediate court action is needed to remedy unsafe conditions on Atlantis,” Mikal Watts, an attorney for former BP contractor Kenneth Abbott, said in papers filed yesterday seeking a trial date in federal court in Houston, where the case has been pending since 2009.

“BP has falsely certified compliance with critical environmental and safety regulations” to pump billions of dollars in petroleum from the offshore facility, the lawyer said. “BP’s corporate policy and practice is to buy its way out after it is caught and then do it again.”

Abbott sued London-based BP in 2009 on behalf of the U.S. government, seeking to get a judge to shut down Atlantis, which produces about 120,000 barrels of oil daily, according to court records. Abbott said the judge should appoint a special master to oversee measures to bring the offshore facility into compliance with safety and environmental laws.

He also seeks $7.8 billion from BP, which he estimated in court papers is the value of oil and gas the company has pumped through Atlantis since it came online in 2007.

Atlantis ‘Safe’

BP said in its own court filings that Atlantis is safe and that Abbott’s complaints were dismissed by federal regulators who investigated the issue after the April 2010 blowout of BP’s Macondo well drilled by the Deepwater Horizon. The Atlantis production platform is located about 100 miles (161 kilometers) south of where the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig disaster occurred.

“We fundamentally disagree with plaintiffs’ claims in this lawsuit,” Daren Beaudo, a BP spokesman, said yesterday in an e- mail. “The Department of Interior conducted a thorough investigation of Mr. Abbott’s lawsuit allegations and concluded that Mr. Abbott’s allegations are unfounded and the Atlantis platform is safe and should continue to be operated by BP.”

The U.S. Interior Department in March 2011 said that BP’s deficiencies in documentation for the platform posed no “serious” safety risks, following its investigation of Abbott’s allegations.

Lawyers for BP and Abbott will meet before U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes on March 19. Abbott’s lawyers said they will seek an immediate hearing on safety issues.

The case is United States of America Ex Rel. Abbott v. BP Exploration and Production Inc., 4:09-cv-01193, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (Houston).
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    thumbnail.aspx?q=4518267475329638&id=23d0fa92fc4dea0dd3adc6bf3890b607
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:
    thumbnail.aspx?q=4518267475329638&id=23d0fa92fc4dea0dd3adc6bf3890b607
    This image was the first thing that came to mind when I read the subject line!

One thing that gives me hope is having seen how wondrous the ocean can be in healing itself, over time. It's survived worse.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

i'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. :lol::lol:

didn't we? i think so. can't tell ya a thing about them. some talking head on tv said something like that.....

new and stiffer regulations....but are even the old ones enforced??

case in point...bp falsified and lied on safety records, the government says 'meh, no big deal'

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-1 ... -case.html

BP Whistle-Blower Says Gulf Atlantis Facility Remains Unsafe

BP Plc (BP\)’s Atlantis facility remains unsafe, according to a whistle-blower who said in a court filing that the company’s second-largest oil producer in the Gulf of Mexico is operating under permits BP obtained by lying to regulators.

“Immediate court action is needed to remedy unsafe conditions on Atlantis,” Mikal Watts, an attorney for former BP contractor Kenneth Abbott, said in papers filed yesterday seeking a trial date in federal court in Houston, where the case has been pending since 2009.

“BP has falsely certified compliance with critical environmental and safety regulations” to pump billions of dollars in petroleum from the offshore facility, the lawyer said. “BP’s corporate policy and practice is to buy its way out after it is caught and then do it again.”

Abbott sued London-based BP in 2009 on behalf of the U.S. government, seeking to get a judge to shut down Atlantis, which produces about 120,000 barrels of oil daily, according to court records. Abbott said the judge should appoint a special master to oversee measures to bring the offshore facility into compliance with safety and environmental laws.

He also seeks $7.8 billion from BP, which he estimated in court papers is the value of oil and gas the company has pumped through Atlantis since it came online in 2007.

Atlantis ‘Safe’

BP said in its own court filings that Atlantis is safe and that Abbott’s complaints were dismissed by federal regulators who investigated the issue after the April 2010 blowout of BP’s Macondo well drilled by the Deepwater Horizon. The Atlantis production platform is located about 100 miles (161 kilometers) south of where the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig disaster occurred.

“We fundamentally disagree with plaintiffs’ claims in this lawsuit,” Daren Beaudo, a BP spokesman, said yesterday in an e- mail. “The Department of Interior conducted a thorough investigation of Mr. Abbott’s lawsuit allegations and concluded that Mr. Abbott’s allegations are unfounded and the Atlantis platform is safe and should continue to be operated by BP.”

The U.S. Interior Department in March 2011 said that BP’s deficiencies in documentation for the platform posed no “serious” safety risks, following its investigation of Abbott’s allegations.

Lawyers for BP and Abbott will meet before U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes on March 19. Abbott’s lawyers said they will seek an immediate hearing on safety issues.

The case is United States of America Ex Rel. Abbott v. BP Exploration and Production Inc., 4:09-cv-01193, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (Houston).

:shock: nooooo really ? I'm sure glad we have you here to keep us all so well informed...now that's funny :lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    What oil spill?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    hedonist wrote:
    One thing that gives me hope is having seen how wondrous the ocean can be in healing itself, over time. It's survived worse.
    yes I agree I have hope too.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

good point bro,the effects of this spill will last for generations I would think.
    what I ment was it happened and all the money in the world and all the screaming wont change what happened.

Godfather.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Godfather. wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

good point bro,the effects of this spill will last for generations I would think.
    what I ment was it happened and all the money in the world and all the screaming wont change what happened.

Godfather.
    I agree Godfather and everyone uses the oil ... absolutely everyone
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    Godfather. wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.
    no, but we can enforce current legislation to make sure it NEVER happens again...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Gimmi maybe the government should have had to share in the law suits and blame for not inforcing thier regulation or suing some of those inspectors and friends that are employed by the government to enforce these rules.. I think if a person is employed to do a job they should be held accountable for any glitch on the job by their boss's and their bosses should be held accountable for actions of their inspectors, that's the way in works in the private sector right ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    bjo1015bjo1015 Posts: 104
    The first criminal charges have been filed against a former BP engineer who intentionally destroyed evidence...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/us/gulf-oil-spill/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    bjo1015 wrote:
    The first criminal charges have been filed against a former BP engineer who intentionally destroyed evidence...

I just saw this.

Kurt Mix would face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on each count if he is convicted. about time.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    bjo1015bjo1015 Posts: 104
    bjo1015 wrote:

I just saw this.

Kurt Mix would face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on each count if he is convicted. about time.

Yes, makes me wonder how many more criminal charges will come. It is about time!