Options

Hunger Strike with Andrew Stockdale

nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Canberra, Australia Posts: 344
edited March 2012 in The Porch
just in case some people havent seen it.. I thought he did a pretty good job!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsGi0wmb-E
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    He copped a decent amount of criticism at the time on these here boards from memory.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Canberra, Australia Posts: 344
    yeah i could imagine that.. i usually dont like his voice but i really think he did a good job on it. explains why i had never heard off him doing that with them until i read PJ20
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    His voice reminds me of a guy called... Chris... Yeah... It's Chris Cornell. ;):) Good version. Thanks for sharing.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    To hear this song played at a PJ concert is a true privilege in my opinion. Stockdale was never gonna do it perfectly, this is Cornell we are talking about. Wolfmother man does a good job.

I just don't get the moaners about Cornell from PJ20... If i Had seen that I think I would have collapsed in a heap of blub. One of the best rock songs ever written.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    Mikee J wrote:
    To hear this song played at a PJ concert is a true privilege in my opinion. Stockdale was never gonna do it perfectly, this is Cornell we are talking about. Wolfmother man does a good job.

I just don't get the moaners about Cornell from PJ20... If i Had seen that I think I would have collapsed in a heap of blub. One of the best rock songs ever written.

Yeah. and maybe this is blasphemy but weren't the New York version with Band of Horses singer better than most times with Cornell?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Mikee J wrote:

Yeah. and maybe this is blasphemy but weren't the New York version with Band of Horses singer better than most times with Cornell?

Not sure Better is the right word.. I mean, its Cornell. Anyone else would be just Different at best....
  • Options

Nope. He also ruined the All Along The Watchtower cover for me. It was much better when it was sung only by Eddie.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap wrote:

Nope. He also ruined the All Along The Watchtower cover for me. It was much better when it was sung only by Eddie.
    When I heard All Along The Watchtower from 08, which sounded... not the bst.. I thought he sung it with Black Keys...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Andrew Stockdale sounded drunk in my opinion... :? Maybe they just didn't rehearse the song together at all either? Who knows!

Here's a clip of Eddie singing with Wolfmother on one of their songs...Eddie sounds great when he starts off the song :) .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyhr7UqP1o
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:
    Andrew Stockdale sounded drunk in my opinion... :? Maybe they just didn't rehearse the song together at all either? Who knows!

Here's a clip of Eddie singing with Wolfmother on one of their songs...Eddie sounds great when he starts off the song :) .
    I believe Stockdale in an interview said that he had never heard the song before that and it was pretty unrehearsed.
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:

Wow, you're right he sounds awesome.... as usual.

I've never really liked Stockdales voice anyway....... just not my thing. I saw them in London a few years ago, bored me to tears to be honest!
  • Options
    When I heard All Along The Watchtower from 08, which sounded... not the bst.. I thought he sung it with Black Keys...
    :)
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    -Emma- wrote:

I believe Stockdale in an interview said that he had never heard the song before that and it was pretty unrehearsed.

It definitely looks and sounds like he is unsure of himself. I thought he did a pretty good job on it though.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    I thought that this version w/ Stockdale was pretty bad. I think the best guest singer on Hunger Strike that isn't Chris Cornell was Ben from BOH.
  • Options
    eugenetwhieugenetwhi Posts: 170
    I lean towards ben, thought it was legit
    "let me tell you something, if I had this guy's voice you could all kiss my ass"
    5/04/2010 / Scottrade Center
    5/03/2010 / Sprint Center
    7/03/2006 / Pepsi Center
    7/02/2006 / Pepsi Center
    9/15/2005 / Bell Center
    4/01/2003 / Pepsi Center
    6/23/1998 / Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
  • Options
    Time_BombTime_Bomb Posts: 147
    I think it takes balls to sing with Eddie but I never really liked the 2 versions with Andrew.
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries