METALLICA

Comments

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited February 2012
    g under p wrote:
    Master of Puppets is a masterpiece, and I don't even listen to them anymore.

I agree the album that caught my ear....

One of the best versions of this song from MOP with a new arrangement...*Disposable Heroes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYkQsFlRMk

Peace

I was in the front row for that performance! Here's the story...I was in the lower level (stage right) that day (Sunday) at Bridge. Metallica was closing the show. During the set break prior to their performance, I look down at the front and see a friend so I wave to him. He points to the (empty) seat next to him & waves me down. So I got to watch the Metallica set & the finale from the front row. What a great memory.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    g under p wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Ok so the original post was almost impossible to follow or take seriously, but beyond that:

You can't argue against their first 4 albums as landmarks in heavy metal history. Those albums are the blueprint for heavy metal. Say what you will about them selling out, or the whole Napster thing, or how they have become prima donnas: Metallica from 1983 - 1990 WAS metal.

ABsoeffinglutley! That's all after that alcohol took over with a few good songs here and there.

Peace

I wouldn't blame their decline on alcohol whatsoever. Their early nickname, after all, was "Alcoholica." Metallica partied hard throughout the 80s. I like the Black Album overall though not as much as their 80s work. Load and ReLoad was where they really lost the plot IMO.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Metalicca will always suck
    It sneaks into my cd collection
    When I find it .. I throw it away,
    But I break it first :lol:

Trying to save people

Maybe you'd be able to form complete sentences on a single line if you listened to more Metallica.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I'll never forget going to the Monsters of Rock tour 85ish and they were the 3rd band that played. The stadium erupted. I had never heard of them before that day and I was hooked. Some of their later stuff is pfffffffffftttttttt. If they suck, don't listen. Although I guess it's like me responding to this thread ;)
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Yefa wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Master of Puppets is a masterpiece, and I don't even listen to them anymore.

I agree the album that caught my ear....

One of the best versions of this song from MOP with a new arrangement...*Disposable Heroes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYkQsFlRMk

Peace

I was in the front row for that performance! Here's the story...I was in the lower level (stage right) that day (Sunday) at Bridge. Metallica was closing the show. During the set break prior to their performance, I look down at the front and see a friend so I wave to him. He points to the (empty) seat next to him & waves me down. So I got to watch the Metallica set & the finale from the front row. What a great memory.

That IS an awesome memory and I like when they change things up from the norm. Like the day after the Woodstock II they played in MD and it being a summer tour for no album they played all the non tour stuff from MOP, Justice, KEA etc all my favorites. Best fun I had at a Metallica show with people sliding in the mud on the lawn. That was a fun memory for me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    This poster isnt funny. At all.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

This poster isnt funny. At all.

It's ok, it's all good, it's her right to dislike the band but to this point i haven't read a plausible reason for her distaste for their music.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
    Metallica's music is very testosterone driven. It's not for everybody. For those who the music speaks to, we realize they are probably the greatest metal band of all time. I predominantly listen to them when I'm working out or in the mood for something very loud. BLACKENED!

They are so good that Tenacious D's song "Tribute" was supposedly originally inspired by Metallica's One, even though Kyle teases Stairway to Heaven in the song. I agree about Lars being a tool and I hate how they ran Jason Newsted out of the band because he wanted a side project. All in all, their music kicks ass.
    Tread Lightly.
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    I have mixed feelings about Metallica.

On the one hand, James Hetfield has a long and colorful history of being a major douchebag. And I still hold a grudge over the Layne Staley thing - I ADORED (and still adore) Layne...and so that majorly pissed me off.

On the other hand, as a hard rock/metal fan myself, it's hard to ignore Metallica's influence. I own a few of their CDs and listen to them still. You just can't get around the fact that douchebags though they might be, they are still legends of metal.
    drewdawgq wrote:
    Metallica's music is very testosterone driven. It's not for everybody. For those who the music speaks to, we realize they are probably the greatest metal band of all time. I predominantly listen to them when I'm working out or in the mood for something very loud. BLACKENED!

They are so good that Tenacious D's song "Tribute" was supposedly originally inspired by Metallica's One, even though Kyle teases Stairway to Heaven in the song. I agree about Lars being a tool and I hate how they ran Jason Newsted out of the band because he wanted a side project. All in all, their music kicks ass.

I agree to the post above ^^^^^ and this one. What musician isn't or can't be considered a douchebag it's the thing that brings out their creative nature almost like actors. I could not stand how they ran away Jason loved his input in the band at a time when they needed any added input. I wonder what he's up to now? Love his bass lines in this song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjnN0J7K-70&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98Gyg1e ... re=related

For some reason I've always loved this song...heard it being played on Investigation Discovery played acoustically by someone who was cleared of a murder charge.

You just stood there screaming
    Fearing no one was listening to you
    They say the empty can rattles the most
    The sound of your own voice must soothe you
    Hearing only what you want to hear
    And knowing only what you've heard
    You, you're smothered in tragedy
    And you're out to save the world

Misery
    You insist that the weight of the world
    Should be on your shoulders
    Misery
    There's much more to life than what you see
    My friend of misery

You still stood there screaming
    No one caring about these words you tell
    My friend, before your voice is gone
    One man's fun is another's hell
    These times are sent to try men's souls
    But something's wrong with all you see
    You, you'll take it on all yourself
    Remember, misery loves company

Misery
    You insist that the weight of the world
    Should be on your shoulders
    Misery
    There's much more to life than what you see
    My friend of misery

You just stood there screaming
    My friend of misery

Peace

• White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,811
    She said Cat Poop Palace :? :shock: :wtf: :lol:

STAYSEA wrote:
    It is bad..
    All of it
    Don't go in there it's evil..
    :lol:

Ehh
    Gotta clean the Cat Poop Palace.
    stinks..
  • White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,811
    Tom I think they rock too buddy ;). Plus staysea is hanging out in a Cat Poop Palace :lol:.

JK_Livin wrote:
    I'll never forget going to the Monsters of Rock tour 85ish and they were the 3rd band that played. The stadium erupted. I had never heard of them before that day and I was hooked. Some of their later stuff is pfffffffffftttttttt. If they suck, don't listen. Although I guess it's like me responding to this thread ;)
    Tom I think they rock too buddy ;). Plus staysea is hanging out in a Cat Poop Palace :lol:.

JK_Livin wrote:

On that Monsters Of Rock tour they completely outplayed VH NEVER seen so many headbanging mopheads. Only one that came close was the GNR/Metallica co headline tour at RFK Stadium 55,000 mopheads in unison to songs like *Harvestor Of Sorrow*

Peace

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    They suck? peeps that like the Metallika stuff hate life!
    I have pages of reasons why I have beef! Lars sued kids! that it's just one thing.
    My friend / ex is likely dead off of a meth OD.
    Metallioca is evil. What were they ever good at? I have no clues.
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I have pages of reasons why I have beef! Lars sued kids! that it's just one thing.
    Lol

Metallica has to do with your friend making dumb choices?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I got one word for Metallica

ANTHRAX

Yer welcome...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    STAYSEA wrote:

I just lost IQ points reading this.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    STAYSEA wrote:

I like the way you keep this thread going...great job. :D

Peace

Ha! my goal is to prove how much they are wrong.
    If Metallica makes you lose your mind? well, I warned you :lol:

there is no amount of money or anything I could be offered to make me listen to an entire cd, let alone go to a show. :?
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    STAYSEA wrote:

:o
    STAYSEA wrote:

there is no amount of money or anything I could be offered to make me listen to an entire cd, let alone go to a show. :?
    You speak like a child. You're also super, super ignorant.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

STAYSEA THINKS SHE IS COOL? I HAVE PROBLEM WITH THAT
    HAHA THINK SHE FUNNY? I HAVE LIST WHY NONE OF THAT'S TRUE
    SHE THINK HER OPINION IS VALID? OH I DONT THINK SO.

You're not funny, and you look dumb for posting this shit.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Stayofftheboozeandnarcotics.....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited March 2012
    STAYSEA wrote:

Staysea you can't prove ANYTHING it's just your opinion of the band which is your right. What you can do is post valid reasons you think they are not worthy of your listening. Other than that your views are as strong as a fart in the wind.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    On behalf of anyone who has ever lifted a weight with 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' blaring in the background... Metallica freaking rocks.
    This says it all.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for those who dislike metallica i say i am sorry and you may need this album stuffed up your ass for at least 13 weeks. you will get metal and symphony music all crammed up your ass all at the same time.

http://youtu.be/eS-JngCa0RM ~ master of puppets is probably one of the greatest songs (and albums) ever done. very powerful and thick like none other. kirk hammet is a guitar badass. lars is probably one of the greatest drummers ever to walk the planet earth.

http://youtu.be/cwCNyZ8w5Qw ~ for whom the bell tolls
    stfu

http://youtu.be/hjPtGJjyajc ~ the call of ktulu

cliff burton... badass mr. bass. that dude killed bass lines. R.I.P.
    and my all time favorite metallica dude... mr. dave mustaine
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Peace.
    to all
    and to all a good day
    Took this when I was front row at Nassau in 2009.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/ ... photo7.jpg

James knelt down in front of me, and gave me the horns.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    it took me quite some time to get into metallica and the like. they are not everyday music. they are not easy listening music after a long grueling day, no. that is what pearl jam is for. i like pearl jam lyrics so much more than metallica's lyrics.

they are two seperate fields altogether.

what i would like to have is all the revenue used on creating, distributing and the profits off of metallica t-shirts and posters back in the day. in 1980whatever all i saw was metallica t-shirts covering the back's of youth.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Staysea are you like a big Katy Perry fan? This would explain alot.