SF2, SF3 Observations

smalltownfatesmalltownfate Posts: 57
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Both were great for different reasons. I would rate them a tie.

My wife and I were on the floor Sunday and in the balcony on Tuesday.

As we were sitting on the floor waiting for SY a guy sitting a couple rows in front of us had a hole puncher fall out of his pocket. He made some stupid joke about it to the people around him . It pissed me off but what was I to do. Anyone else see this guy or anyone else with a hole puncher? It did explain a little bit why the 10C line was so long.

SY was painful to listen to and when you are standing it is even more painful. It was much of the reason why we moved to the balcony for Tuesday.

The sound was better on the floor but the weed was equally flowing both places which was a little bothersome to my pregnant wife.

The t-shirt quality is weak.

Mike puts on a great show for the fans in front of him. I only wish he could flick a pick a little farther.

Did I say SY sucked?

On Tuesday we sat behind a handicapped section. It seemed some in the section were capable of sitting in regular seats. I don't know how they determine eligibility for those seats but by looking at the guy in front of me all it takes is a pair of crutches and a cheap neoprene knee sleeve. We ended up getting into it a little after he didn't appreciate someone in my section asking an usher to tell him and his wife to sit down so we could see. I didn't do it but I appreciated the lady who did and refused to tell on her. We ended up shouting at each other. Then my wife screamed too and finally he went away but stood most of the rest of the show.

All in all they were great shows. SF was great to spend a few days in. I only hope they play the South in '07.

Did I mention SY sucked. Just a bunch of noise. I put in earplugs just for them on Tuesday. Using a drumstick on a guitar, you have to be kidding? No wonder I have never heard them on the radio.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    Yeah, but what did you think of Sonic Youth?
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Both were great for different reasons. I would rate them a tie.

As we were sitting on the floor waiting for SY a guy sitting a couple rows in front of us had a hole puncher fall out of his pocket. He made some stupid joke about it to the people around him . It pissed me off but what was I to do. Anyone else see this guy or anyone else with a hole puncher? It did explain a little bit why the 10C line was so long.

SY was painful to listen to and when you are standing it is even more painful. It was much of the reason why we moved to the balcony for Tuesday.

The sound was better on the floor but the weed was equally flowing both places which was a little bothersome to my pregnant wife.

Mike puts on a great show for the fans in front of him. I only wish he could flick a pick a little farther.

Did I say SY sucked?

On Tuesday we sat behind a handicapped section. It seemed some in the section were capable of sitting in regular seats. I don't know how they determine eligibility for those seats but by looking at the guy in front of me all it takes is a pair of crutches and a cheap neoprene knee sleeve. We ended up getting into it a little after he didn't appreciate someone in my section asking an usher to tell him and his wife to sit down so we could see. I didn't do it but I appreciated the lady who did and refused to tell on her. We ended up shouting at each other. Then my wife screamed too and finally he went away but stood most of the rest of the show.

All in all they were great shows. SF was great to spend a few days in. I only hope they play the South in '07.

Did I mention SY sucked. Just a bunch of noise. I put in earplugs just for them on Tuesday. Using a drumstick on a guitar, you have to be kidding? No wonder I have never heard them on the radio.

Um, dude, do you actually support telling people to sit down at a PJ concert?

My wife was 5 1-2 mths prego for GR and Detroit..she stood for GR but had to sit for Detroit.....At no point did we think it apt to for someone to sit down so she could have a better view..... I hate the anonymous woman in your story... Errr. I want to debate her right now.

BTW, how did you enjoy Sonic Youth?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

welcome to a rock concert. most people stand, dance, sing, etc.
  • Both were great for different reasons. I would rate them a tie.

Did I say SY sucked?

I would have had you ejected for telling me to sit down.
    "I'd like to thank all you mother fuckers. All you mother fuckers..." EV-10/03/05
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    An asshole threw beer on me and the girl next to me because I wouldn't sit down. This was the first night though. This dick told me, " If you want to stand and dance, learn how to play, join the fucking band and get on stage, otherwise sit down." I ignored him, and after save you, I found myself wearing a bit of beer. What the fuck? Seriously? Anyone that wants someone to sit down at a concert because they refuse to stand should go home. This guy was at least in his fourties and he's still this juvenile? Throws beer and then runs away because I won't acknowledge his request? Fuck that. That crowd was the worst crowd I've ever seen at any show. I never thought I'd say this in my life, but Los Angeles put that place to shame. Even on the floor the crowds were pretty weak. Great shows, the band was great, most of the people were nice, but too many assholes there and casual people worried about not seeing.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I would have had you ejected for telling me to sit down.
    lmao...assuming, of course, you didn't scalp your tickets...hehe.
  • lmao...assuming, of course, you didn't scalp your tickets...hehe.

I don't fuck around at events. If someone pisses me off they get a warning, then they go home. Fools that spend some money think that they make the rules at these venues? No.
    "I'd like to thank all you mother fuckers. All you mother fuckers..." EV-10/03/05
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I don't fuck around at events. If someone pisses me off they get a warning, then they go home. Fools that spend some money think that they make the rules at these venues? No.
    Dude, I'm on your side. I'd wouldn't fucking sit down at a PJ show if Ed told me to.
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865

I wish you were sitting next to me on Saturday night. We would have had some fun. However, I was all alone on it.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    my observations ...

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Sonic Youth. I thought there would be a lot more "noise" and feedback than there was. Of course, there was some, but some well-placed feeback isn't a bad thing. I thought the guitarist in Stone's spot (Thurston Moore, I think) can play the shit out of his guitar. I enjoyed watching him.

I actually liked being down front with all the sweaty people. It actually enhanced my enjoyment of the show, jumping up and down and singing along with complete strangers. With only a couple of exceptions, it didn't get too rough around me.

SF 3 will stick with me as one of the best experiences of my life, thanks to a combination of the setlist, my proximity to the stage, and some of the folks around me. Except for the guy I almost got in a fight with. but he got bored and left soon enough.

I still can't believe how many damn different songs we heard in those three nights. Footsteps, In Hiding, In My Tree, Present Tense, Indifference, SOLAT, I Got Shit, Untitled/MFC ... All Along the Watchtower. The list goes on and on.

I'm not a huge, huge fan of Crazy Mary on the boots anymore -- I just burned out on it during the '03 tour. But seeing the show Boom and Mike put on with this song was completely worth it. I probably wouldn't have traded that for anything on my list of songs I wanted to hear but didn't. Boom killed it, then pointed across the stage at Mike lwho raced after to Boom's B3 and just killed it. Right about the point where you're starting to become impressed, Mike totally took it up a notch ... I mean, I've never heard anything like it.

Speaking of Boom ... we saw him at a frickin' Denny's the night after the second SF show. Just sitting in the corner with what appeared to be family. Nobody bothered him or anything, but we did serenade him with a "Booooooom!" when he left. the other patrons at Denny's thought we were nuts. And yes, one asked why we were booing. :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    Using a drumstick on a guitar, you have to be kidding? No wonder I have never heard them on the radio.

they just used the drumstick as a slide. Mike used ed's granddad's zippo lighter on the studio version of "Red Mosquito."

so fucking what?

and the fact that you haven't heard them on the radio is supposed to be a knock against them? Have you heard the schlock that makes in onto the airwaves.

I'm not a huge SY defender. I don't own any of their stuff and never will. but I thought they put on a pretty good show, as far as opening acts for PJ go.
  • they just used the drumstick as a slide. Mike used ed's granddad's zippo lighter on the studio version of "Red Mosquito."

so fucking what?

and the fact that you haven't heard them on the radio is supposed to be a knock against them? Have you heard the schlock that makes in onto the airwaves.

I'm not a huge SY defender. I don't own any of their stuff and never will. but I thought they put on a pretty good show, as far as opening acts for PJ go.

Listen, what is on the radio is crap these days but SY has been around longer than PJ and I have heard nothing.

As for the drumstick, I know it is not unheard off. Didn't Jimmy Paige use a violin bow for some songs? It just sucked that is all. SY was a little more tolerable the second night when I was sitting. I loved being in the pit with everyone for PJ just not for SY

As for standing at concerts. I think everyone should be standing for a PJ show except the people sitting in the handicapped seats which this guy was. That just seems logical, they are there for a specific disability that gives them the right to a clear view of the stage while seated regardless of what anyone in front of them is doing.
    Listen, what is on the radio is crap these days but SY has been around longer than PJ and I have heard nothing.
    I'm just saying that's not the best way to judge how good a band is. remember, except for a couple twists of fate, no Pearl Jam song would have ever been on the radio, either. they would still put out the same music, just under the radar. doesn't mean they are bad.

SY is a legendary band. they paved the way for a lot of people. they aren't really my cup of tea, per se, but they were interesting, for sure. it was really interesting to watch the interplay between the two guitars, if you're into that sort of thing.
    wow, what a douchebag

at nashville in 2000 some dude in the front row was on crutches... I guess he should have sat down too.

oh, and I bet Thurston Moore is heartbroken you didn't enjoy his band... after all, he enjoyed watching you open for pearl jam that one time... oh, wait.. that's right.
  • Dude I understand your wife is preggers but come on man. This is not a Kenny G show this is fucking Pearl Jam show, they have Jam in their name. Drugs and standing and dancing is part of the show and always should be. I think its insulting if you don't stand, I mean during Crazy Mary or All Along the Watchtower how did you not want to get up and dance.

Pearl Jam would not be as big or maybe even around without Sonic Youth. If you are Pearl Jam fan you must at least have some respect for what they accomplished.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Dude I understand your wife is preggers but come on man. This is not a Kenny G show this is fucking Pearl Jam show, they have Jam in their name. Drugs and standing and dancing is part of the show and always should be. I think its insulting if you don't stand, I mean during Crazy Mary or All Along the Watchtower how did you not want to get up and dance.

Pearl Jam would not be as big or maybe even around without Sonic Youth. If you are Pearl Jam fan you must at least have some respect for what they accomplished.

I expect there to be drugs. I was fine with it. I was just making an observation about it. I thought it might be a little less smokey upstairs.

I never sit down, ever. However, I am a fully capable person sitting in a regular seat.

I showed SY respect by not booing. They obviously have some talent. However, I just don't get their way of expressing it. I scanned the crowd and I saw about 10 people into them. Everyone else had looks on their faces like "when are they going to stop making this noise." I would much prefer Sleater-Kinney. But then some of you probably can't stand Corin Tucker's yodelling
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    SOMEONE TOLD ME TO SIT sat night

i said fuck off lol

the guards came and i was like i flew 5000 miles and paid the same money ,,its an all G A show i will do as i please and the guards let me be that is that
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    SOMEONE TOLD ME TO SIT sat night

i said fuck off lol

the guards came and i was like i flew 5000 miles and paid the same money ,,its an all G A show i will do as i please and the guards let me be that is that

LOL what? that is ridiculous!! :p Whatever man! i was disappointed that people were not standing up on the lower balcony on Mike's side! :eek: i mean, gee, that is crazy!

and I happened to LOVE Sonic Youth! :D They kicked SO much ASS ALL 3 nights and Eddie happened to watch the crowd during their setlist in front of the GA barcades. :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • SY and PJ are so totally different in my eyes that it is hard to see how people can like both. It is hard for me to understand how Eddie likes them.
    SY and PJ are so totally different in my eyes that it is hard to see how people can like both. It is hard for me to understand how Eddie likes them.

I'm betting it's hard for you to understand a lot of things.
  • I'm betting it's hard for you to understand a lot of things.

Why are you being such a hater?
    Why are being such a hater?

It should be obvious.
  • I've been a Sonic Youth fan for years. But I told a friend who was seeing them for the first time in Santa Barbara "They are great when they actually play a song". I can do without the feedback and crap.

But they did play the song 100% @ SF2, that was cool to hear.

David
    San Francisco 6.24.05
    San Jose 11.4.95
    Oakland 11.18.97
    Inglewood 7.13.98
    Las Vegas 10.22.00
    San Bernardino 10.28.00
    Sacramento 10.30.00
    Mountain View 10.31.00
    Mountain View 6.1.03
    Mountain View 10.25.03
    Santa Barbara 7.13.06
    San Francisco 7.16.06
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I sort of understand your points... but, you have to be able to see the flip side, too. It is a rock concert and the house rules supercede your specific health situation or personal requests. Meaning, the floor of a General Admission show... not so good with pregnancy. The balcony was a much better choice. And the balcony towards the back would have been a better choice since you wanted a seated view... since you didn't get there in time to snag a railling seat along the lower balcony. Most people towards the back have a tendency to want to kick back. I'm pretty sure the people in front of you didn't know your wife was pregnant.
    And personally, I don't question the handicapped. I know what it's like to have a busted ankle and get stuck with a pair of crutches jammed in my armpits for a couple of months. If the one guy wants to cheat the system... whatever... he's not shooting for my spot along the barricade in front of Mike, so it's cool by me. Even so... I think I would be harsh to rag on someone that is actually confined to a fucking wheelchair for life because they get a cool slot in the balcony. I don't know their situation, ain't my business to know.
    Anyway, it sounds like you had a pretty good time and I glad to hear that... although you really hated Sonic Youth (personally, I thought they were pretty good... but, then again, I'm not much of a dancer).
    Me? I had a great time.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    (SF III)

At the end of one song (ferget) it sounds like Jeff goes into Bowie's "Under Pressure..." perhaps just part of the song I never noticed....

But I'm convinced, first verse of Ledbetter, Ed does a lil' Dylan impression! LISTEN!

I had plugs in fer Sonic Youth on the Floor, took them out last song to listen, interesting, not somethign I'll rush out to buy. That said Watchtower would not have been nearly as great without Renaldo -- while all of you where watchin the guitar smashing/surfin incident, i was intently listening to that feedback finale, and it was most excellent.

There are moments where it's not clear who's goin to take the lead throughout the song, and lee probably wasn't loud enough while he was leading, but listen closely to that tune and you can hear his style shining through.

awesome
    [sic] happens
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    acutejam wrote:
    I had plugs in fer Sonic Youth on the Floor, took them out last song to listen, interesting, not somethign I'll rush out to buy. That said Watchtower would not have been nearly as great without Renaldo -- while all of you where watchin the guitar smashing/surfin incident, i was intently listening to that feedback finale, and it was most excellent.

There are moments where it's not clear who's goin to take the lead throughout the song, and lee probably wasn't loud enough while he was leading, but listen closely to that tune and you can hear his style shining through.

You're not kidding, I think he played the 2nd solo & it killed. I liked his singing too, reminded me of Neil Young. It seemed like the band was trying to play in a looser, faster, less bluesy, SY style the whole time, and the feedback jam + guitar smashing at the end was part of that.

SY haters should maybe check out Kenny G, that might be more their speed... ;)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    What you people aren't realizing is in the balcony when the people in the handicap section are standing, people who are standing behind them CAN NOT SEE.

The handicap section was/is for people in wheelchairs, or people who can't stand the whole show, or can't get up and down the aisle to get to the seats.

I was in the balcony Sunday night, and I was 3 rows up in the seats, but it was hard to see if the people were standing.

Hope that helps explain why people were asking them to sit down. They are suppose to be handicapped anyhow.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    What you people aren't realizing is in the balcony when the people in the handicap section are standing, people who are standing behind them CAN NOT SEE.

I was in the 1st row of the 'back' section of the balcony Sunday night and this is true. Even if I was standing up, I couldn't see over people who were standing in the handicapped section. Luckily we had a guy in our row who took it upon himself to clear people out of there every time somebody who wandered by decided to stop and stand!
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
    I stood on the floor and couldn't see -- I'm six feet tall. But so are my friends and I was drunk so they crowded in front of me. So I continually stumbled and bumped and rocked into them. Not to mention yelling and screaming in their ears (esp after Mary and Tower) and sobbing on their shoulders (esp during Light Years and Man of the Hour).

We're still friends! I think.... actually their not answering my e-mails. Hmmm.

That said - I HAD to have an avocado shirt, just cherished it the whole way home. Wiped the tears away... Then my wife picked it up and said, "Jeez, cheapest shirt you've ever bought." My god, the thing is paper thin and they're makin $1.1 m per show?!?!?!

My RUSH vapor trails baseball jersey is some serious major league merchandise. PJ HAS 15 MORE YEARS TO GET THIS QUALITY IMPROVED!

After plunkin down all the dough for the show, I had $80 in my wallet for the serious shirt - c'mon Pearl Jam, TAKE MY MONEY!
    [sic] happens
    I stood on the floor and couldn't see -- I'm six feet tall. But so are my friends and I was drunk so they crowded in front of me. So I continually stumbled and bumped and rocked into them. Not to mention yelling and screaming in their ears (esp after Mary and Tower) and sobbing on their shoulders (esp during Light Years and Man of the Hour).

We're still friends! I think.... actually their not answering my e-mails. Hmmm.

That said - I HAD to have an avocado shirt, just cherished it the whole way home. Wiped the tears away... Then my wife picked it up and said, "Jeez, cheapest shirt you've ever bought." My god, the thing is paper thin and they're makin $1.1 m per show?!?!?!

My RUSH vapor trails baseball jersey is some SERIOUS major league merchandise. PJ HAS 15 MORE YEARS TO GET THIS QUALITY IMPROVED!

After plunkin down all the dough for the show, I had $80 in my wallet for the serious shirt - c'mon Pearl Jam, TAKE MY MONEY!
    [sic] happens