Options

Whitney Houston is dead

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    In America, 100 people a day die of an overdose.......
    36,000 a year

Now I am not trying to be a heartless piece of shit here...But

Nobody here knew Whitney....
    Nobody here hung out with Whitney.....
    Nobody here called Whitney a friend....

Right???

So in a week or so, Whitney will be just like the other 35,999 people who will die this year of drugs.....

Somebody you didnt know...
    Who killed themselves because an addiction.....
    The difference being, Whitney could sing......

Her music had an effect on many peoples lives, so in a way, she was very much part of many peoples lives.

Hypothetically speaking, If Mike McCready began his drug use again, maybe even just one night and OD'ed and Pearl Jam broke up, we'd all be devastated. The band has brought so many people together, loved ones, it would be a tragedy if it happened. The guys in the band haven't always been exactly perfect.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    justam wrote:
    Speedy, that's entirely true. I think people react because she had opportunities that most people didn't have but they weren't enough to keep her safe from this disease. :? That's sad.

People like to believe that if something wonderful like a successful career and wealth came to them they'd be happy. Clearly, it wasn't enough for her to be happy while sober. Maybe that idea shakes people up a bit? :geek:
    People say...

"I feel sorry for her daughter'

Well....

Whitney probably put that daughter through HELL for 19 years...Right?

Bold assumption, dude, and pretty cold. Considering the fact she has been in the hospital twice since this happened would lead me to say that she is probably hurting pretty bad.

From the little that I have interacted with you around here, I like you and you seem like a good dude but no one is sitting around here crying about Whitney Houston's death and I think you're a bit off base. They are simply saying how sad it is such a great talent died so young. Any addicts death is sad, no doubt, it's just brought to light when someone who's status means she should be able to beat the disease. I could never imagine the feelings she had but when someone who has the resources to get the best help in the world dies at 48, I would imagine she had some pretty serious demons. It's such a fucked up disease. I hate the saying, "they're in a better place" because it's such bullshit but with what she was probably going through, maybe she is.

Bronx Tale said it best, "the saddest thing in life is wasted talent"
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    whitney-houston-where-do-broken-hearts-go-62112567.png

I loved this album when I was about 8 and 9. I haven't listened to a song from it in probably 20 years and last night I got on youtube and listened to pretty much the entire album. I just found out last week my dad's prostate cancer has returned and he's been given a certain time period and got told "start enjoying life". Listening to this album last night took me back to my old house that my family of 7 all lived in when we were kids....when I (and others) would play this album on cd in the lounge room while we did normal family stuff....when life was perfect and I didn't have a care in the world....and when my dad was invincible.

Just listened to her album once took me back to some wonderful memories I haven't thought about in decades.

So thanks Whitney! :thumbup: I do feel a bit sad that you died because I loved the period of my life that you were a part of....and last night your music was kinda like a portal back to that time....and I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit that. :mrgreen:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    i wanna dance with somebody
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553

I will always love ewe.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I just found out last week my dad's prostate cancer has returned and he's been given a certain time period and got told "start enjoying life". :

:(
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862

I will always love ewe.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. covering it a few months in philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOkV4iLmrzw

Bobby Brown's dad has died now? :shock: Wonder what is going through his mind now?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I just found out last week my dad's prostate cancer has returned and he's been given a certain time period and got told "start enjoying life". :

It's not THAT bad....well it is....if it stays non-aggressive, it will take 5 years to get to the stage where he can have the next step of treatment....which should buy him another 5 years....and then by then there will probably be another brand new treatment which will buy him another 5 years. One can only hope it stays non-aggressive....and there is a new treatment out within 10 years. :( I'm such a daddy's girl....I'll be lost without him.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

It's not THAT bad....well it is....if it stays non-aggressive, it will take 5 years to get to the stage where he can have the next step of treatment....which should buy him another 5 years....and then by then there will probably be another brand new treatment which will buy him another 5 years. One can only hope it stays non-aggressive....and there is a new treatment out within 10 years. :( I'm such a daddy's girl....I'll be lost without him.

OK good. Positive thoughts to you and your dad.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    OK good. Positive thoughts to you and your dad.

Thanks heaps DS.
  • Options
    RaniRani Posts: 434
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I agree with Rani, I was never a big fan, but I respect that she was gifted and given a beautiful voice.

Glad to see that the people here on the AET (for the most part) have a lot more class than others in certain other (cough) forums.

My heart goes out to her family, friends and especially her daughter.

thank you.

i honestly have a 47 yr old homeless brother that I worry about .....day in day out....

fill my f ing shoes....then get back to me.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    some of the posts so grim ...

her music was anything but, she was anything but to her loved ones and fans

I don't understand those who think we should not feel,
    celebrate the fact you do feel ... that is living!
  • Options

I will always love ewe.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. covering it a few months in philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOkV4iLmrzw

Bobby Brown's dad has died now? :shock: Wonder what is going through his mind now?

what's the deal with this band? i caught the last minute or so of their performance on conan a little while back. not bad. i like this cover. are they new?

does dale earnhardt jr know about them?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751
    anyone else sick of hearing shes dead and ""I will always love you" FUCK. Chicks dead. Quit kicking this dead horse. FUCK!!!! I dont get to watch tv much anymore cuz of the new job. I would p[refer not hearing this ALL FUCKING MORNING!!!!!! She hasnt been relevant for a long time. I'm sorry her daughter and family have lost her , but the chick aint a national treasure. Let her rest in fucking peace already.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    anyone else sick of hearing shes dead and ""I will always love you" FUCK. Chicks dead. Quit kicking this dead horse. FUCK!!!! I dont get to watch tv much anymore cuz of the new job. I would p[refer not hearing this ALL FUCKING MORNING!!!!!! She hasnt been relevant for a long time. I'm sorry her daughter and family have lost her , but the chick aint a national treasure. Let her rest in fucking peace already.

it is kind of weird if you think about it like that. she's gone from national treasure (25 years ago) to national joke (for the past 15 years) back to national treasure, only because of her death.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

it is kind of weird if you think about it like that. she's gone from national treasure (25 years ago) to national joke (for the past 15 years) back to national treasure, only because of her death.
    Fuck that. This overkill media saturation is nothing more than a distraction easily seized upon to deflect from other far more important issues.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    mickeyrat wrote:

Where the hell have you been since Michael Jackson died? You would have thought he cured cancer, aids and brought about world peace instead of diddling little boys.
  • Options
    TO Dissidentman, Unlostdogs, and BlackDiamond....

Whitney Houston....she's still dead.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    TO Dissidentman, Unlostdogs, and BlackDiamond....

Whitney Houston....she's still dead.

I know I shouldn't laugh...

but I did
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited February 2012
    RIP WH
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    give it a day or two mr micky...it will pass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    give it a day or two mr micky...it will pass
    right, JUST when I get back on the road. They will be onto something else.

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Where the hell have you been since Michael Jackson died? You would have thought he cured cancer, aids and brought about world peace instead of diddling little boys.

i've been right here. felt the same way when he died too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I hate stories like this. Hope' she finds the peace she was looking for, obviously something she couldnt find here on earth.

I only hate this type of sensationalism cuz it jams up my news feed.

Im rotten.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    CH156378 wrote:
    first

Eighty-seventh!!! :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Can't judge addicts, it's a disease most of us will never have to imagine or deal with.

This is the bottom line people. Until you walk in the shoes of an addict, you don't have a place to pass judgment.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    RIP
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,420
    Didn't read through the whole thread, but this is just so sad. People who grew up with the internet probably can't understand the level of popularity that was achieved by Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and other going back.

Whitney Houston songs were EVERYWHERE, and generally they held onto their appeal. It's not really my style of music, but there's no denying she consistently put out excellent songs & albums. With pandora radio, iPods, etc. I don't think anybody will ever be ubiquitous like she was.

It seems that the lessons of drug abuse will never take hold. :(
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,420
    Whoa, this thread got a little ugly. Yes, she was a national treasure, and she still is. She obviously self destructed but didn't do anything that harmed anyone outside of her family. The comparison to Michael Jackson is invalid.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
This discussion has been closed.