You are

frazbafrazba Posts: 601
edited January 2012 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Best song on Riot Act IMO
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    I concur that it's a GREAT song. Not sure if I can call it my favorite on 'Riot Act,' but if pressed I could live with saying that.
    Hope to see it live one day. And I love what Matt brings to the band, writing-wise, hopefully he's got at least two tunes on the next album...
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    I am not a hater but one of my least favorite in entire PJ catalog. Really don't like the lyrics and the Herbie Hancock keys.

Diff strokes for diff folks...
    RITFWinCO wrote:

Exactly, and I should probably have added 'today' to the end of my statement. I would'nt have been a huge fan of this song until it popped up on a shuffle on the Ipod today while out walking, I had to replay it about 4 times, it finally got it's claws into me, just wonderful.
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    You Are is awesome as is the glorious album it is on!! :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    veddertown wrote:
    You Are is awesome as is the glorious album it is on!! :D

:thumbup:
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    when the first chords were heard in the Buenos Aires show, the stadium seemed to collapse, I don't know if that was caught in the boot...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    such a baddass groove in this song...love the stop/start drum machine effect of the guitars. well done, Mr. Cameron!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    Awesome song/awesome album. I like PearlJam/Backspacer just fine, but I was disappointed they didn't keep following the evolution of Riot Act for another album at least.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    frazba wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Along with Can't Keep & Save You & Thumbing My Way & Help Help and...... :lol:
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Got a whole new appreciation for the song after hearing it live in 2010, and now I love it!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • 78FLH78FLH Posts: 410
    samjam wrote:
    Got a whole new appreciation for the song after hearing it live in 2010, and now I love it!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
  • frazba wrote:
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    frazba wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Along with Can't Keep & Save You & Thumbing My Way & Help Help and...... :lol:

along with the other 10 including Arc... :lol:

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I still hate the fact that this song couldn't get off the ground at Atlanta '03. Would've loved to have heard it live. Great song!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    frazba wrote:
    RITFWinCO wrote:

Exactly, and I should probably have added 'today' to the end of my statement. I would'nt have been a huge fan of this song until it popped up on a shuffle on the Ipod today while out walking, I had to replay it about 4 times, it finally got it's claws into me, just wonderful.

I really like that feeling. Happens a lot when I go for a run in the morning, and not even just with Pearl Jam songs.

I was listening to Benaroya Hall in my car, and something about the way "Off He Goes" just grabbed me completely. I've always thought it's a great song, but now it's always playing in my head. The same thing actually happened with "faithful". It got to the point that I learned every lyric for the song, and learned it on guitar, just to satisfy my complete obsession with the song
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    The Mansfield 7/3/03 version of this song is easily my favorite - McCready's soloing on it is flawless.
  • This song is SWEET! Got it back to back in 2010. It also shook the rafters ad the Spectrum. Thanks Matt!
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    when the first chords were heard in the Buenos Aires show, the stadium seemed to collapse, I don't know if that was caught in the boot...

As in no one was into it / energy of the crowd fell flat!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • There is a version from the 03 tour that starts SIMILAR to this one (West Palm Beach) ... with that intro \ pre-song-start "riff" (which may just be that crazy effects machine running "dry", but sounds damn cool) going for a bar, but it's much louder, and more distinct ... and it was one of my favorite versions of ANY song from the tour.

I have since lost the harddrive with those recordings (as well as all the original CDs being scratched) ... but check yer 03 versions ... cuz it B bad ass.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I think its a great song...

You are a tower of
    Strength to me
    The darkening hour
    Sees light again...

love those lyrics...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Geat song. Really brilliant live. Saw them do it Brisbane 2 2009 and Buenes Aires 2011. 8-)
    rustedsigns
    BrainofBGA wrote:

As in no one was into it / energy of the crowd fell flat!?

no, the other way round, people went nuts...

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Oh my it sounds better live