Options

China, who has been? travel suggestions?

RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
just booked 10 days for the summer (beijing 6 nts, shanghai 3). looking for some insight for some of the non-touristy options. will be travelling w/wife and 8 year old kid so underground sex clubs are not an option. if your aware of any 10c members in either city, lemme know, i think Byrnzie is over there?
San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
Dallas-November 2013
OKC-November 2013
ACL 2-October 2014
Fenway Night 1, August 2016
Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    edited January 2012
    Awesome! Hope you have a great time! Is there a reason you're going, or is it just for fun?

As far as non-touristy things to do...I would start Googling and looking at travel forums and such. There is a lot of useful information out there for the 'adventursome' traveler. :) I would be sure to check out common places such as The Travel Channel, National Geographic, Trip Advisor, Frommer's, Fodor's, etc...you'll surely find lots of useful information in all those places.

Have you ever been to an Asian country before?
    Post edited by photogirlliz on
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    cat taste like chicken....be careful. :?

i kid

but seriously...if you want to say thank you in chinese......say shit really fast twice. no joke

i think china would be a cool place to visit. maybe check out that super damn they built?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited January 2012
    It's touristy but so what. Go here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simatai

I loved it.

Also did the pekking duck of course, and rented a bike. Might as well see Beijing like a local. Smog and all.

great-wall-simatai.jpg
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I would say get in touch with Byrnzie here on the board. He's been living there for a few years now and has also been travelling around.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    No but I have a Chinese neice (by marriage) and she's a sweetheart :D

I love how excited she gets when she finds something she likes - like pancakes, I guess they don't have those in China. :?:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    No but I have a Chinese neice (by marriage) and she's a sweetheart :D

I love how excited she gets when she finds something she likes - like pancakes, I guess they don't have those in China. :?:

Unlost is chinese?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    I would say get in touch with Byrnzie here on the board. He's been living there for a few years now and has also been travelling around.

thanks for the replies, i pm'd byrnzie and he has already replied w/some suggestions (gotta love this board). i have been to Taiwan and S Korea but most of my lifetime (intl) travels have been europe and lat america. china, india, and southern africa represent my bucket trips and i am cashing mileage/hotel points to make this one happen.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    RFTC wrote:
    redrock wrote:

thanks for the replies, i pm'd byrnzie and he has already replied w/some suggestions (gotta love this board). i have been to Taiwan and S Korea but most of my lifetime (intl) travels have been europe and lat america. china, india, and southern africa represent my bucket trips and i am cashing mileage/hotel points to make this one happen.
    LOVED Taiwan!!!
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    Touristy but I liked Yuyuan Garden in Shanghai. Be prepared for the aggresive sales pitches on the streets, it was constant. The subway was easy to use.
  • Options
    byrnzie has me in stitches now, i have lengthened trip 2 nights to include xian, and hangzhou. thanks for the responses, i am 4 months out but love the pj feedback. have they ever played china?
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I lived 45 minutes outside Beijing for a summer; went into the city daily and flew to Shanghai for a weekend. I'll dig out some pics and suggestions tomorrow when I'm not so 'mind-altered'.
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Byrnzie has been living there for years I believe (or maybe he's back now?). I think he's from the UK? Maybe send him a PM and ask some questions. I'm sure he'll be happy to help.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    I took a day trip up fro Hong Kong once. We visited the city of Guangzhao. While I just barely scratched the surface, it was a good experience. And honestly, our guide sucked, so I can't name anywhere we went. But we visited a traditional market, a temple, a zoo, and had a 7 or 8 course meal. There were a couple of other stops too. And we almost didn't make it back to the border before it closed for the night. We had like 2 minutes to spare.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    byrnzie himself doesn't know this yet but sometime i am going to be living w/ him while i visit the land china. he does not know it yet but he will be my tour guide and whatnot
    byrnzie and i have work to do, this he knows already
    :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Sorry I missed this thread before.

As I told RFTC in pm's, the places that I'd immediately recommend are:

Guilin - http://wikitravel.org/en/Guilin
    guilin_li_river.jpg
    Huang Shan (Yellow Mountains) - http://wikitravel.org/en/Huangshan
    4781999883_996039c2ac.jpg
    huangshan2.jpg
    Hangzhou - http://wikitravel.org/en/Hangzhou
    hangzhou_West_Lake.jpg
    Xi'an - http://wikitravel.org/en/Xian
    3866797314_35018183d8.jpg
    Beijing - http://wikitravel.org/en/Beijing
    5535956685_ece0e9eb81.jpg
  • Options
    Also, a couple of other places I'd recommend, but that I've not been to, are Chengdu in Sichuan Province, and Dali & Lijiang in Yunnan Province.

Chengdu has a lot of sights - temples, parks, museums, e.t.c, and you can also hang out with some panda's at the Panda reserve there. http://wikitravel.org/en/Chengdu
    IurMoKJmdbhwcg6hClcLyN01_500.jpg

And Lijiang - http://wikitravel.org/en/Lijiang and Dali - http://wikitravel.org/en/Dali are both popular attractions - both small traditional style towns - in amongst the mountains, and where a lot of ethnic minority people live.

Dali
    7-Three-Pagodas-in-Chongsheng-Monastery-Dali.jpg
    Gejia-Miao-china-attractions-photos.jpg

Lijiang
    SA500SPanozzo1-Lijiang.jpg
    as_c_lijiang3.jpg

And if you like hiking then you can hike along Tiger Leaping Gorge, near Lijiang - http://wikitravel.org/en/Tiger_Leaping_Gorge
    tiger-leaping-gorge_4853.jpg
    Tiger-Leaping-Gorge-063.jpg
    tiger-leaping-gorge.jpg
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    byrnzie himself doesn't know this yet but sometime i am going to be living w/ him while i visit the land china. he does not know it yet but he will be my tour guide and whatnot
    byrnzie and i have work to do, this he knows already
    :mrgreen:

Sounds good to me dude. 8-)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Byrnzie wrote:
    and you can also hang out with some panda's at the Panda reserve there.

Sending my daughter to yours (but behave!). Hanging out with Pandas... her dream. She's studying wildlife conservation so that would be her 'field trip'!

All looks so beautiful Steve. Still have time to travel around?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    and you can also hang out with some panda's at the Panda reserve there.

Sending my daughter to yours (but behave!). Hanging out with Pandas... her dream. She's studying wildlife conservation so that would be her 'field trip'!

All looks so beautiful Steve. Still have time to travel around?

That's not a bad field trip.

I've not done any traveling here for a long time. I'll be going to a couple of places over the next two months though.