U2/Pearl Jam/Kings Of Leon in Hawaii?

Comments

• What's the latest? Anyone?
  • aDaughteraDaughter Posts: 12
    Also my 2 favorite bands. The only fan clubs I've ever belonged to, well except Donny Osmond when I was seven so I don't think that counts. Why now? I'm broker than broke. My daughter can have a good career w/o a college education, right?
    "The country is being run by extremists because the moderates have shit to do." - Jon Stewart

Auburn Hills '06 - Toronto 1 '06 - London '05 - Kitchener '05 - Clarkston '03 - Auburn Hills '00 - Auburn Hills '98 - East Lansing '98
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Bump!

Any news?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Rumor: Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon for Hawaii The new issue of Rolling Stone magazine has the following not-so-blind item about postponed U2 Hawaiian tour in its "Smoking Section": You didn't hear it from us, but book a trip ASAP for the Aloha State in early December for a year-end blowout featuring KOL [Kings of Leon], Pearl Jam and (most likely) a Certain Band from Ireland.

U2 has yet to reshedule that part of the tour, or at least that I hear.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Rumor: Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon for Hawaii The new issue of Rolling Stone magazine has the following not-so-blind item about postponed U2 Hawaiian tour in its "Smoking Section": You didn't hear it from us, but book a trip ASAP for the Aloha State in early December for a year-end blowout featuring KOL [Kings of Leon], Pearl Jam and (most likely) a Certain Band from Ireland.

U2 web site has no resheduled dates, it would not surprise me if the tour is over for 2006, and maybe they reshedule in 2007.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • beemster wrote:
    U2 web site has no resheduled dates, it would not surprise me if the tour is over for 2006, and maybe they reshedule in 2007.

Bono has already said in an interview on Aussie TV that they'd be back there in November, so thats a pretty good sign the dates will happen. a post on their official site said the news will come within the next few wks.
  • Vedderman51Vedderman51 Posts: 606
    any news??
  • jasone6jasone6 Posts: 66
    What?! Perspective, my friend... How can you say that seeing Pearl Jam and Petty together "sucked?!" True, it may not have been the best PJ show you've ever seen, but c'mon... If you went to a local bar and saw Pearl Jam open up for an unkown local band, you wouldn't complain about how short their setlist was.

I guess all I'm saying is that the Petty shows (Summerfest) opened my eyes a bit... you have to take the whole night in totality and not worry about PJ's set being short. If you had limited funds I could see how you'd probably rather see them twice alone than once with Petty -- I'll give you that. But all other things considered, there was nothing at all that sucked about Pearl Jam co-headlining.... and (to get it back on topic), certainly nothing that would suck about Pearl Jam co-headlining with U2 in Hawaii.

But that's just me...

vmfury wrote:
    After seeing them with TP, it sucked to go to a show PJ played with another headlining band. I've been waiting for a Hawaii show and I'll be bummed to see U2 for a full set and then maybe an hour of PJ. Don't get me wrong.....I'll take what I can get and will be going to Hawaii regardless, but I was hoping for JUST Pearl Jam. WOW....I sound like a spoiled bitch over here. ;)
    1995: Milwaukee/Summerfest 1; 1998: Indianapolis, Greenville, Knoxville; 2000: Lisbon, London 1 & 2, Detroit, Alpine Valley, Chicago; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Summerfest 1 & 2 (w/ Tom Petty), Sydney 1 & 3, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3; 2007: The Vic, Lollapalooza
  • krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    I highly doubt PJ will play with U2 here

I can't see them being added on to this
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Gators76 wrote:
    ^^^You better hope not. Then you'll only get 14 songs and 60 minutes of PJ...lol
    No shit, I learned this the hard way with the Petty tour..
    Rapid City 98
  • No shit, I learned this the hard way with the Petty tour..

i'll take 14 songs over zero songs from PJ anyday
  • posted on U2.com today....

Tour dates within the NEXT week!

News just in: the previously postponed Vertigo '06 Tour dates are definitely being rescheduled an announcement confirming all details will be made 'within the next week'.

Word is that the final details on shows are just about in place and an announcement is on the way. As usual U2.com will be the first place to have the full story.

hopefully those "final details" include PJ in Hawaii !!!!!!
  • blarrgblarrg Posts: 46
    This should hold you over until the announcement.

http://www.interference.com/u2161621/index.html
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/27/br/br13p.html

AFAIK the U2 show IS sold out. It sold out in like 20 minutes or something. I had to get mine from a broker the day that the tickets went on sale to get GA field.

Hopefully PJ will play 2 shows as I dont want to see a shortened set. Perhaps U2 could open on night 2.
  • blarrg wrote:
    Perhaps U2 could open on night 2.

i would not count on that happening...ever...sorry, just the honest truth

i do hope they add a second show as well, so i can see both, as i already have great seats for the one show regardless if PJ is there or not
    Is PJ opening for U2 a real thing or just fannish speculation?

I hope this isn't true. I doubt I'll go if this is the case.

I'm sure a million others would take my place and that's cool. But it's not for me. Not with the costs involved and taking the time off from work and taking Toni out of school. The humpback whales would be worthwhile, but I could also take her to the Yucatan and explore ancient Mayan sites for less money, to say nothing of the experience of being submerged in a different culture.

To spend all that money and have 45 minutes of PJ would only disappoint. I've seen U2. I saw them in the 80s.

They aren't PJ.

U2 disappoints their own melodies. They don't follow through and the lyrical payoff is zilch. I'd go so far as to say the lyrics make me wince and pull me out of the music.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • JoePJrocksJoePJrocks Posts: 24
    Alessiana wrote:
    Is PJ opening for U2 a real thing or just fannish speculation?

I hope this isn't true. I doubt I'll go if this is the case.

I'm sure a million others would take my place and that's cool. But it's not for me. Not with the costs involved and taking the time off from work and taking Toni out of school. The humpback whales would be worthwhile, but I could also take her to the Yucatan and explore ancient Mayan sites for less money, to say nothing of the experience of being submerged in a different culture.

To spend all that money and have 45 minutes of PJ would only disappoint. I've seen U2. I saw them in the 80s.

They aren't PJ.

U2 disappoints their own melodies. They don't follow through and the lyrical payoff is zilch. I'd go so far as to say the lyrics make me wince and pull me out of the music.
    \\
    Really ?!? I think U2's lyrics are incredible
    JoePJrocks wrote:
    \\

I don't, but that's just me. I write more about it but this isn't the proper forum for that... etc., etc.

Aless

Tell them.
  • JoePJrocks wrote:
    \\

agree 100%
  • The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    jasone6 wrote:
    What?! Perspective, my friend... How can you say that seeing Pearl Jam and Petty together "sucked?!" True, it may not have been the best PJ show you've ever seen, but c'mon... If you went to a local bar and saw Pearl Jam open up for an unkown local band, you wouldn't complain about how short their setlist was.

I guess all I'm saying is that the Petty shows (Summerfest) opened my eyes a bit... you have to take the whole night in totality and not worry about PJ's set being short. If you had limited funds I could see how you'd probably rather see them twice alone than once with Petty -- I'll give you that. But all other things considered, there was nothing at all that sucked about Pearl Jam co-headlining.... and (to get it back on topic), certainly nothing that would suck about Pearl Jam co-headlining with U2 in Hawaii.

But that's just me...

Well stated my friend.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    The rumor is (Im on the U2 Board as well so you can imagine I am already working on tickets) that the show, which was originally supposed to be in the UHawaii Baseball stadium (35,000) is going to be converted to the UHawaii football stadium (closer to 60,000). Now, factor in the fact that alot of people, including people on the board, gave the tickets back when the original show was cancelled and what you have is an onsale that is larger than any U2 or PJ show. That's an estimate 30+ thousand tickest that are going to be available. For those of you that don't know the GA at U2 is hit or miss though, as for the past tour you have had to get your ticket scanned to get into the inner stage, known as the "Bomb Shelter" - its completely random and both times I was able to get in I managed to show up late, and wasted and got in. The time i waited in line - well you guessed it...denied.

Regardless a fellow 10c and I are already making plans as he is equally a U2 fan as well. Could be a once in a lifetime show if it actually happens. if not, i've never been to Hawaii so now could be a good time.

Best to all.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    JoePJrocks wrote:
    \\

Don't worry, there are always haters out there. Try to get a U2 ticket and you'll see that many, many others agree with you. U2's live show is on par with Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam may switch it up from night to night more, but if you went to one show for each, they would be on par with one another. If you like U2's music, more than likely you'd like their show. If you don't, then you are some stuck person who thinks that another more than a lamp at a show is too much visual.
  • nuzzer1 wrote:
    The rumor is (Im on the U2 Board as well so you can imagine I am already working on tickets) that the show, which was originally supposed to be in the UHawaii Baseball stadium (35,000) is going to be converted to the UHawaii football stadium (closer to 60,000).

haven't heard this one yet....makes complete sense, would make everyone happy and lends to PJ being added so they can fill the bigger venue. fingers crossed, hopefully we'll know in a few days :)

however....this would be REALLY TRICKY for those still holding onto to reserved seats, GA wouldn't matter of course, but how would they transfer all those seated people into a new venue, yuck to that.
  • mrpoptopmrpoptop Posts: 16
    nuzzer1 wrote:
    For those of you that don't know the GA at U2 is hit or miss though, as for the past tour you have had to get your ticket scanned to get into the inner stage, known as the "Bomb Shelter" - its completely random and both times I was able to get in I managed to show up late, and wasted and got in. The time i waited in line - well you guessed it...denied.

There is no 'Bomb Shelter' in the stadium shows. So there is no 'scanning' of tickets to detirmine where you are going to be on the field. Its all 'first come, first served'!

Jayson
    VHC #125***

07/09/95 Milwaukee
    06/26/98 Alpine Valley
    10/08/00 Alpine Valley
    10/09/00 Chicago
    04/24/03 Champaign
    06/18/03 Chicago
    06/21/03 Alpine Valley
    07/12/03 Hershey
    07/14/03 Holmdel
    12/09/06 Honolulu
    08/02/07 Chicago
    08/05/07 Chicago
    nuzzer1 wrote:
    The rumor is (Im on the U2 Board as well so you can imagine I am already working on tickets) that the show, which was originally supposed to be in the UHawaii Baseball stadium (35,000) is going to be converted to the UHawaii football stadium (closer to 60,000)............Best to all.

There shouldn't even be any rumors. The U2 show has always been slated for Aloha Stadium (biggest venue in the state). I never sold my ticket and the entire field is GA. Dunno what 10c is gonna do. I think the best idea is to have 2 nights there.

FYI
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Apr/27/br/br13p.html
  • GotchaaGotchaa Posts: 6
    For those of you going to PJ shows this tour, you will notice the ONE campaign at each venue. It's something that U2 (Bono in particular) and PJ both support, and I would not be surprised if the proceeds for a larger show go towards the campaign, so chances of this happening are very good.

I love PJ, have been going to shows since they've been touring.

U2 is also an incredible band, and if you've seen them live, you will understand why. These are the only two bands that I follow from city to city, and I would be the happiest person if this does happen.

U2's fan club though is horrible, I got shafted multiple times this tour, so I am hoping 10c comes through for us with GA's.
    Gotchaa wrote:
    U2's fan club though is horrible, I got shafted multiple times this tour, so I am hoping 10c comes through for us with GA's.

I did hear that many were shut out with fan club tickets, But I got GA for all 6 of the presales I got tickets for.
    THere should be plenty of GA tickets for the onsale seeing they changed the configuration of the stadium and with people returning there tickets from April.

It will be a great show, I can't wait to go

Jayson
    VHC #125***

07/09/95 Milwaukee
    06/26/98 Alpine Valley
    10/08/00 Alpine Valley
    10/09/00 Chicago
    04/24/03 Champaign
    06/18/03 Chicago
    06/21/03 Alpine Valley
    07/12/03 Hershey
    07/14/03 Holmdel
    12/09/06 Honolulu
    08/02/07 Chicago
    08/05/07 Chicago
    Don't worry, there are always haters out there. Try to get a U2 ticket and you'll see that many, many others agree with you. U2's live show is on par with Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam may switch it up from night to night more, but if you went to one show for each, they would be on par with one another. If you like U2's music, more than likely you'd like their show. If you don't, then you are some stuck person who thinks that another more than a lamp at a show is too much visual.

wtf?

i've seen u2 and i don't agree with you. a hater? wtf is that?

as for visuals, this girl grew up on laser light shows fcol. i'm so far from stuck, i'm fucking unhinged. i simply do not agree with you regarding the quality of their work and if you ask many young people what they think, they'll tell you the same thing.

i'm not going to detail the why's of my opinion. as i said this isn't the forum for that. i personally can't stand it when i read criticisms of other bands in pj's forum so i'm not going to do it myself.

if this is a pj/u2 thing, i know you guys will have fun. go at it. enjoy. i won't be going. i'll go to belize.

ttfn

Aless

Tell them.
  • mrpoptop wrote:
    There is no 'Bomb Shelter' in the stadium shows. So there is no 'scanning' of tickets to detirmine where you are going to be on the field. Its all 'first come, first served'!

actually, it's not a "bomb shelter" but a big heart or oval that is an enclosed space on the floor. the band uses the heart as a walkway to go deep into the audience. those with ga tix are led thru a separate entrance and your ticket gets scanned. if the scanner randomly selects your ticket, you and guest get to watch the show from inside the heart. U2 has done this for both the Vertigo and Elevation tours.

it's an amazing vantage point to see one of the greatest bands of all-time.
    Lake Fairfax 92 MTV Awards 93 Indio 93 2SDs 95 Bridge Sch 96 Oakland 97 Maui 98 Vegas 98 2LAs 98 Columbia, MD 98 Bridge Sch 99 Jones Bch 00 Vegas 00 LA 00 SD 00 Bridge Sch 01 Seattle 02 Bridge Sch 03 Santa Barbara 03 Denver 06 2LAs 06 Fonda 06 SF1 06 Hullabaloo 07 Lolla 07 Bonnaroo 08
    actually, it's not a "bomb shelter" but a big heart or oval that is an enclosed space on the floor. the band uses the heart as a walkway to go deep into the audience. those with ga tix are led thru a separate entrance and your ticket gets scanned. if the scanner randomly selects your ticket, you and guest get to watch the show from inside the heart. U2 has done this for both the Vertigo and Elevation tours.

it's an amazing vantage point to see one of the greatest bands of all-time.

Yes that is the case for arena shows...I have been to 16 of them. At the stadium shows the loop doesnt connect in the middle. There is just 2 side stages with an opening between them.

Jayson
    VHC #125***

07/09/95 Milwaukee
    06/26/98 Alpine Valley
    10/08/00 Alpine Valley
    10/09/00 Chicago
    04/24/03 Champaign
    06/18/03 Chicago
    06/21/03 Alpine Valley
    07/12/03 Hershey
    07/14/03 Holmdel
    12/09/06 Honolulu
    08/02/07 Chicago
    08/05/07 Chicago
    You really think they're going to ship their stage to Hawaii? I saw them on Pop and the stage was so large and complicated that there were two of them. One was always a day ahead on its way to another city. My guess would be no vertigo stage. Heck, they might even have another album out by December.