Barry Bonds found guilty

normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
biggest waste of taxpayer money since...well most taxpayer money is wasted but you get what i mean :P

After a government prosecution that lasted nearly seven years, a federal jury today convicted home-run king Barry Bonds on one charge of obstruction of justice for allegedly lying about using performance enhancing drugs.

The judge declared a mistrial on three remaining counts.

Bonds was charged with four federal felony counts for denying under oath in 2003 that he had knowingly used steroids or human growth hormones and for maintaining that his personal trainer, Greg Anderson, had never injected him.

The probe that ensnared Bonds began with an investigation of a Bay Area laboratory that was selling illegal performance enhancing drugs to professional athletes and expanded to include athletes who lied to investigators. Bonds, holder of baseball’s hallowed record for most home runs, was the probe’s highest profile quarry.

Prosecutors said Bonds lied repeatedly to a grand jury to protect his reputation. Defense attorneys charged the government had a vendetta against Bonds and used lying witnesses to try to convict him.

Authorities first became interested in Bonds in the early 2000s after learning that the San Francisco Giants superstar had appeared in an advertisement for the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, which was selling designer steroids and other drugs to professional athletes.

Bonds was one of 30 athletes summoned to the grand jury that was investigating the lab. Although given immunity for illegal drug use, Bonds insisted that his trainer told him the two steroids he was taking were flaxseed oil and arthritis cream.

Prosecutors presented evidence that Bonds tested positive for a steroid and a fertility drug in a urine sample taken several months before his grand jury evidence. They also gave the jury a surreptitious recording of Anderson discussing how he injected steroids in response to a question about Bonds.

Anderson refused to testify in the trial and was jailed for its duration. He has spent nearly two years behind bars, mostly because he would not cooperate with the investigation of Bonds.

Jurors heard three key prosecution witnesses: Steve Hoskins, a childhood friend who was close to Bonds for 10 years until the two had a falling-out in early 2003; Kimberly Bell, Bonds’ girlfriend of nine years; and Kathy Hoskins, Steve’s younger sister, who said she was packing Bonds’ clothes for a road trip when she saw Anderson inject the ballplayer.

Prosecutors also presented four former major league players who testified that Anderson supplied them with drugs which they said they knew were designed to boost performance and escape detection.

Each count against Bonds had a possible maximum sentence of 10 years, but federal sentencing guidelines recommend 15 to 21 months in prison for a conviction. Many legal analysts had expected Bonds to be sentenced to home confinement if convicted.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... dict-.html
SAN FRANCISCO (KTLA) -- Baseball legend Barry Bonds was sentenced to 30 days of house arrest and two years probation Friday for his obstruction of justice conviction, according to reports.

The judge stayed Bonds' 30 day house arrest sentence pending appeal.

Jurors who found Bonds guilty in April said he was "evasive" in his testimony to the federal grand jury investigating illegal steroids use by pro athletes.

"Because Bonds's efforts were a corrupt, intentional effort to interfere with that mission, a sentence of 15 months imprisonment is appropriate," the prosecution said in its memo to U.S. District Judge Susan Illston.

But jurors, who were deadlocked on three perjury counts, said that it was not proven that Bonds lied when he testified that he had not knowingly used steroids. Prosecutors decided not to pursue a retrial.

Bonds' testimony in December 2003 was part of the investigation that targeted Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson and employees of the California drug testing laboratory known as the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO).

The testimony that led to Bonds' conviction came when a grand jury prosecutor asked Bonds if Anderson ever gave him "anything that required a syringe to inject yourself with."

Bonds told the grand jury that only his personal doctors "ever touch me," and he then veered off the subject to say he never talked baseball with Anderson.

Defense lawyers argued that Bonds thought the creams and ointments Anderson was giving him were made of flax seed oils.

Sentences for other athletes convicted in connection with the BALCO investigation have not included prison time.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-b ... 2663.story
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    norm wrote:
    biggest waste of taxpayer money since...

Ken Starr and Monica Lewinsky.

Poor Barry. I'm sure it will be very hard to be confined to his compound.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    norm wrote:
    biggest waste of taxpayer money since...well most taxpayer money is wasted but you get what i mean :P

Seriously, what's the point? They might even make kind of a martyr out of him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    The prosecutors should be tarred and feathered with what $$ they spent in this crazy time in the world

What a joke

**tarred is probably Mispelt :)
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    norm wrote:

i was thinking more like wars for oil companies but yeah, that too! :P
    norm wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    norm wrote:

i was thinking more like wars for oil companies but yeah, that too! :P

oh right, that.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    norm wrote:

Poor Barry. I'm sure it will be very hard to be confined to his compound.

haha - he probably never leaves anyway.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I suppose it is a waste of money when you think about the actual punishment conditions and he's so much in another world that he probably still doesn't get it and thinks he's a hall of famer, which he was until the steroids, but the prosecitors did make his ex-girlfriend testify about his small penis size, because of the steroids, which had to suck on some level? :lol:
  • WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    marcos wrote:
    I suppose it is a waste of money when you think about the actual punishment conditions and he's so much in another world that he probably still doesn't get it and thinks he's a hall of famer, which he was until the steroids, but the prosecitors did make his ex-girlfriend testify about his small penis size, because of the steroids, which had to suck on some level? :lol:

actually she said his balls shrunk, not his penis. Get it right! ;):lol:
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    marcos wrote:

If she didn't cash out (spread it) I'd believe her

Shes no Jen sterger, although down the line she'll wise up ;)
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Norm, I knew you'd post about this. I have such mixed feelings about Bonds. I agree about the taxpayer waste of money. And there was an article somewhere about how people wouldn't have gone after Bonds so fiercely if he were a nice guy and not an asshole.

It's a shame. I think he would have been a great ballplayer (but probably still an asshole) without the drugs.
    Enkidu wrote:
    It's a shame. I think he would have been a great ballplayer (but probably still an asshole) without the drugs.

great ball player and definitely still an asshole.

Enkidu wrote:
    Norm, I knew you'd post about this. I have such mixed feelings about Bonds. I agree about the taxpayer waste of money. And there was an article somewhere about how people wouldn't have gone after Bonds so fiercely if he were a nice guy and not an asshole.

:D

bonds was one of the greatest hitter in the history of baseball

he is also one of the biggest assholes in the history of baseball

and that was his downfall...his super sized ego...and he didn't need roids for that
    SAN FRANCISCO (KTLA) -- Baseball legend Barry Bonds was sentenced to 30 days of house arrest and two years probation Friday for his obstruction of justice conviction, according to reports.

The judge stayed Bonds' 30 day house arrest sentence pending appeal.

Jurors who found Bonds guilty in April said he was "evasive" in his testimony to the federal grand jury investigating illegal steroids use by pro athletes.

"Because Bonds's efforts were a corrupt, intentional effort to interfere with that mission, a sentence of 15 months imprisonment is appropriate," the prosecution said in its memo to U.S. District Judge Susan Illston.

But jurors, who were deadlocked on three perjury counts, said that it was not proven that Bonds lied when he testified that he had not knowingly used steroids. Prosecutors decided not to pursue a retrial.

Bonds' testimony in December 2003 was part of the investigation that targeted Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson and employees of the California drug testing laboratory known as the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO).

The testimony that led to Bonds' conviction came when a grand jury prosecutor asked Bonds if Anderson ever gave him "anything that required a syringe to inject yourself with."

Bonds told the grand jury that only his personal doctors "ever touch me," and he then veered off the subject to say he never talked baseball with Anderson.

Defense lawyers argued that Bonds thought the creams and ointments Anderson was giving him were made of flax seed oils.

Sentences for other athletes convicted in connection with the BALCO investigation have not included prison time.
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-b ... 2663.story
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    House arrest!!! Poor bastard!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol: and Roger Clemens is Next!
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    man, i'd be pretty damn excited if i was told i must stay in my $25 million mansion for 30 days and didn't have to do shit.
  • they should just let them all take steroids and stop wasting the money on the court hearings....

why should the general public care anyway? Baseball is like on some other friggin planet, steroid use is more relevant to staying healthy than actually enhancing performance...
    I had a ruptured disc and the doctors had me on steroids for over 2 years, the same ones the players are accused of using.
    The steroids helped me heal.... I didn't notice any enhancement of performance in any other aspect of my life other than my back started healing up...
    the Minions
  • Grounded for one month...in a huge mansion...for a guy who likes his privacy...and doesn't need to work for a living. Did they at least say no TV allowed?

Rank this 'punishment' up with 2 week suspension from work with pay.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Grounded for one month...in a huge mansion...for a guy who likes his privacy...and doesn't need to work for a living. Did they at least say no TV allowed?

This is the biggest joke of the whole thing. Regardless of what it was about they guy LIED to a grand jury. How the fuck does that not get you jail time? Pretty much makes a complete joke of our whole justice system. Why even have people testifying say the oath if it doesn't mean shit?
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Slap on the wrist for the "home run king".

To me, the home run king will always be Hank Aaron.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    edited December 2011
    Grounded for one month...in a huge mansion...for a guy who likes his privacy...and doesn't need to work for a living. Did they at least say no TV allowed?

The funny thing is he's fucking appealing it?? What did he want, two months?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Post edited by DS1119 on
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol: and Roger Clemens is Next!

I'm a Yankees fan and I have a great respect for Roger Clemens. He is a competitor and all he had to do was play along and this could have all went away. Too bad.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Newch91 wrote:
    Slap on the wrist for the "home run king".

To me, the home run king will always be Hank Aaron.

AGREED!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14