Options

Faithfull Ale...I just don't get it

Blood Red MosquitoBlood Red Mosquito Posts: 1,609
edited November 2011 in The Porch
For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?
1995: San Francisco, San Diego
2000: Phoenix
2008: Camden 2
2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
2012: Missoula
2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
2014: Denver
2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
2018: Fenway 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DuncsDuncs Posts: 423
    Have you seen the label?? It says Pearl Jam on it. People (myself included) are crazy for stuff that says that name.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    just the novelty if it. how many people's favorite bands get a beer named after them? pretty cool i think but nobody should be paying more than $15 for it. and by the way, the price most stores are selling it for is not unusual for any craft beer of that size bottle. it's not a pearl jam price gauge.
  • Options
    Shit, most stores are selling it for more than $15. People have to pay more on the 2ndary market because the time and cost to get it and ship it.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Someone paid a grand for a back pack ...

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

... and you're questioning folks spending $10 over face value for a beer?

:lol:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited November 2011
    It is a very large craft beer and served in a collectible bottle
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    jimed14 wrote:

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    newcastle sucks
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    Duncs wrote:
    Have you seen the label?? It says Pearl Jam on it. People (myself included) are crazy for stuff that says that name.

this guy is aware
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    not only that....it's only available in this country and only some states...now who wants to pay top dollar for a bottle? i have a couple.
  • Options
    mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    edited November 2011
    For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?
    This is not an unusual price for Dogfish Head beers. Faithfull Ale is a 750 milliliters (25.4 oz) bottle. If you can find a bottle Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA expect to pay $10.99 per 12 oz bottle. I'm not a huge beer connoisseur, but Dogfish brews are definitely nice quality and unique. A little like pj!
    Post edited by mudhoney_253 on
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    i spend $10 over face value for beers at every show
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    klusterfuk wrote:
    That is a great point! Best one yet! By that measure Faithfull Ale is probably a great value!
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    They could probably slap PJ labels on bottles of dog piss and sell them for $20 each.
  • Options
    It doesn't get better with age. It's beer.

That clearly goes to show how little you know about beer. There are many beers that are cellar-kept for months, even years, to age. I'm not talking about a Pabst or a Guinness. There's an art to it.

I have a Delirium Nöel beer that I bought last Christmas that I'm planning to enjoy this Christmas. I've done this for the past 5 years now. It's good right when you buy it, of course, but if you wait a year, it's like drinking stars.

At any rate, I would love to buy a Faithfull Ale from someone - but they don't sell Dogfish in Idaho.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    They could probably slap PJ labels on bottles of dog piss and sell them for $20 each.

Well, I think the owner of the $1,000+ backpack would certainly be in the target demographic, anyway. If anyone needs proof that some people have more money than brains, the thousand dollar backpack is certainly ample evidence. :lol:
  • Options
    Nittany1bnNittany1bn Near Philadelphia Posts: 214
    Jerome230 wrote:
    It doesn't get better with age. It's beer.

That clearly goes to show how little you know about beer. There are many beers that are cellar-kept for months, even years, to age. I'm not talking about a Pabst or a Guinness. There's an art to it.

I have a Delirium Nöel beer that I bought last Christmas that I'm planning to enjoy this Christmas. I've done this for the past 5 years now. It's good right when you buy it, of course, but if you wait a year, it's like drinking stars.

At any rate, I would love to buy a Faithfull Ale from someone - but they don't sell Dogfish in Idaho.

i loveit when the Noel comes out, it's like the first robin of spring (except for winter and beer) though I've never kept one and aged it. what temperature is best to age it (if I'm able to keep my grubby hands off it)?
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I get the price, what I don't get is people buying a bottle and leaving it sealed as some sort of collectors item. This isn't vinyl or a toy or something where it retains its value if left in the original packaging. This is a food product, with a shelf life that is meant to be drank.

And I know that some beers can be aged and get better with age ( I have a bottle of Bernardus 12 in my basement from last year that I plan on drinking at Christmas I also have a bunch of bottles of Fullers Vintage from the past few years) but looking at the description of this beer, like probably 90% of beers out there it probably won't improve, and might even taste worse with age.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I get the price, what I don't get is people buying a bottle and leaving it sealed as some sort of collectors item. This isn't vinyl or a toy or something where it retains its value if left in the original packaging. This is a food product, with a shelf life that is meant to be drank.

And I know that some beers can be aged and get better with age ( I have a bottle of Bernardus 12 in my basement from last year that I plan on drinking at Christmas I also have a bunch of bottles of Fullers Vintage from the past few years) but looking at the description of this beer, like probably 90% of beers out there it probably won't improve, and might even taste worse with age.

vitalogy whiskey.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

Guinness shouldn't be served "cold", unless you consider 50 degrees cold.

and for that matter, Guinness is one of the most over rated beers on the market today.

please turn in your beer card.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    jimed14 wrote:

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

:lol::lol::lol:

everytime you go to a sporting event you are paying $10 over face value for a beer. at least this one says pearl jam on it and is around the 20 ounce mark ;)
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

:lol::lol::lol:

everytime you go to a sporting event you are paying $10 over face value for a beer. at least this one says pearl jam on it and is around the 20 ounce mark ;)

25 ounces
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Almost ANYTHING, including Pabst, is better than Guinness or Newcastle.
    Unless that Guinness also has Jameson and Bailey's in it.
    :D:D:D

Faithful Ale may come with a slightly more-than-fair markup,
    but plenty of dank beers sell for $10+ a bottle.
    Granted, most of those are authentic Belgian beers with ABVs of 8% or higher (often 9-11%, approaching, wine),
    but it's not THAT far out of line.

BTW,
    I think it was only $12 a bottle where we picked it up in Charlotte, NC.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Its also a very limited release. It not something you'll be able to buy anytime you want.

-Chris
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    jimed14 wrote:

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

Holy shit...I knew I should have bought one of those backpacks! Buy for $60 and sell for a grand?!?!?! That's insane.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

Holy shit...I knew I should have bought one of those backpacks! Buy for $60 and sell for a grand?!?!?! That's insane.

prices are falling on them...going for 3 bills....that 1k one is silly.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    81 wrote:

Still though...turning $60 into $300 isn't half bad. I could buy a whole lot of Faithfull Ale with that profit...
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Still though...turning $60 into $300 isn't half bad. I could buy a whole lot of Faithfull Ale with that profit...

which you could flip for more profit. :lol:

where you able to get any yesterday? i'm assuming it's all sold out today.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I get the price, what I don't get is people buying a bottle and leaving it sealed as some sort of collectors item. [...] but looking at the description of this beer, like probably 90% of beers out there it probably won't improve, and might even taste worse with age.

+1
    VERIFIED.

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT HOLDING ON TO THIS BEER (&\OR "AGING" IT)

DO NOT DO IT.

The ABV is TOO LOW.
    You will be sorry!
    This is a beer TO DRINK NOW, NOT TO AGE OR SIT ON.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    klusterfuk wrote:

Winner! :clap::clap:
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

It's Pearl Jam Twenty Faithfull beer. I love Pearl Jam. Of course I have to try it and save the bottle :) I wouldn't pay stupid money for this but I was fortunate that I didn't have to.

Will probably be sampling it this weekend. Can't wait :D