Listen to my band? Not a plug!

binauralsounds182binauralsounds182 Posts: 119
edited November 2011 in Other Music
Hey guys, I was hoping you would listen to a few songs by the band I'm in. I am the lead guitar player and co-songwriter. This isn't a plug in anyway! I just want some constructive criticism and advice. All of the songs were recorded in one take, no overdubs. Thanks! :)http://www.reverbnation.com/afistfulofenvy
1st and only show so far:
Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Was that serious? ......Comical
  • nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    Hey guys, I was hoping you would listen to a few songs by the band I'm in. I am the lead guitar player and co-songwriter. This isn't a plug in anyway! I just want some constructive criticism and advice. All of the songs were recorded in one take, no overdubs. Thanks! :)http://www.reverbnation.com/afistfulofenvy

I'll try to be a little more tactful than the previous post. If you guys are serious and really want to do this...you've got a LONG way to go. If you are just doing this for fun, then who the fuck cares right? My first impressions are: Ditch that singer, dude can't carry a tune and if you can't sing you at least need a unique voice which he also lacks. As far as the songs go, that'll come in time, I was in a band in highschool and the first few songs we wrote SUCKED HARD. I've found that you can't force it, don't just sit down and say we're gonna write a song now, that never works. Songs come from jamming and screwing around and discovering some cool idea and bulding from it. Also, I don't know how long you guys have been playing together but you seem to be lacking a certain GROOVE, that also will come over time if you find you are playing with the right group of people. Some people just don't click musically, not saying you won't eventually. I remember the first time it happened for me. I had been playing with 3 of my best friends for some time and we were really just screwing around and having fun, then one day we were playing Nirvana's Breed, and about a third of the way through something just clicked and we found that groove where instead of four musicians became 1 band. It was AMAZING! Lastly, TUNING is incredibly important...if you aren't intune with each other it will make a good song sound shitty. Those are my first impressions, keep working at it and have fun, that's what it's all about. The rest will come in time as long as you put forth the effort and passion. Good Luck Buddy!
    I'm not human...I'm Danish!
  • nsepstru wrote:

I'll try to be a little more tactful than the previous post. If you guys are serious and really want to do this...you've got a LONG way to go. If you are just doing this for fun, then who the fuck cares right? My first impressions are: Ditch that singer, dude can't carry a tune and if you can't sing you at least need a unique voice which he also lacks. As far as the songs go, that'll come in time, I was in a band in highschool and the first few songs we wrote SUCKED HARD. I've found that you can't force it, don't just sit down and say we're gonna write a song now, that never works. Songs come from jamming and screwing around and discovering some cool idea and bulding from it. Also, I don't know how long you guys have been playing together but you seem to be lacking a certain GROOVE, that also will come over time if you find you are playing with the right group of people. Some people just don't click musically, not saying you won't eventually. I remember the first time it happened for me. I had been playing with 3 of my best friends for some time and we were really just screwing around and having fun, then one day we were playing Nirvana's Breed, and about a third of the way through something just clicked and we found that groove where instead of four musicians became 1 band. It was AMAZING! Lastly, TUNING is incredibly important...if you aren't intune with each other it will make a good song sound shitty. Those are my first impressions, keep working at it and have fun, that's what it's all about. The rest will come in time as long as you put forth the effort and passion. Good Luck Buddy!
    Thanks, that was WAAAAY more helpful than the first guy...maybe he missed the part about it being constructive. Yeah we have spoken many times about how our singer basically can't sing. We're all just good friends who like to play music so we work with what we've got. We actually haven't practiced in a few months and those recordings are from awhile ago, I just wanted to see what people thought. And thanks again! what you said was very helpful. The band isnt really my style, like I said we're kinda working with what we've got for now.

• nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    Just keep plugging away man, have fun with it. I stopped playing for several years, not for any particular reason really just had other things going on I guess. But I'm starting to get back into it again, I forgot how fun it is to pick up a guitar and just strum away :D
    I'm not human...I'm Danish!
  • nsepstru wrote:
    Just keep plugging away man, have fun with it. I stopped playing for several years, not for any particular reason really just had other things going on I guess. But I'm starting to get back into it again, I forgot how fun it is to pick up a guitar and just strum away :D

This.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Are they original songs or covers? A couple of good ones there, I've heard worse.
    The musical ability sounds as though it can come together with lots of practice, except for the singing - but the music sure sounds promising enough.
    Don't get discouraged but you'll need work, work, work.
    Best wishes.
  • The Oracle wrote:
    Are they original songs or covers? A couple of good ones there, I've heard worse.
    The musical ability sounds as though it can come together with lots of practice, except for the singing - but the music sure sounds promising enough.
    Don't get discouraged but you'll need work, work, work.
    Best wishes.

They're all original songs, thanks for the support!