**** Eddie @ Bridge School Benefit 2 Fanviews 10/23/11

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited November 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Bridge School Benefit Concert, Shoreline Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA
October 23, 2011

Set list:
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
Last Kiss -(Cochran)
I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt)
Tonight You Belong To Me w/Régine Chassagne from Arcade Fire-(Rose, Lee)
Society w/Jerry Hannan-(Jerry Hannan)
Sleepless Nights w/Beck-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant)
Don't Cry No Tears w/Neil Young-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Sweet! Wish it was webcasted live last night.
  • Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    "Elderly Woman…" getting a lot of play as an opener this year. Is there a reason?
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    spell06 wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the link!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    spell06 wrote:
    That's night one I believe which was very cool of course. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I'm sure folks are travelling and busy at work, but the lack of immediate reviews is ... not really curious. No real fireworks from Eddie. Total solid performance, voice was great, instruments sounded awesome. He's always wonderful to hear in this format. Too short!

Great opening sequence, Eddie totally had the audience on a beautiful sunny afternoon. After Patriot, No Tears with Neil best of his set, Sleepless Nights with Beck right behind (better than Sat), Hannan seemed hesitant on Society, they both kinda tripped over each other on the 3rd verse and chuckled. All great though. Love Jerry.

Eddie has the demeanor for Bridge ('thou apologized for an f-bomb in front of the kids), his solo tour demeanor. You're not seeing Pearl Jam's frontman -- you're seeing solo Eddie! I think the duets tripped him up though, he's a better set-list maker than this weekend showed. Sunday just kinda wrapped up on No Tears and off he goes (he seems distracted...). Forced those duets I guess? Dunno, something odd about the sets. Not flat, exactly, just ... dunno, reserved? Again, well in tune with the day. No "show stoppers" there, appropriate as it's not about ego-gratification, but...

After a great thick folksy set of Sea Change material, Beck brought the house down with Two Turn Tables and a Microphone.

Grohl had the entire audience in his hands, coulda heard a pin drop, on his final solo number (whole band was there for the set until), Everlong. Foo's set was awesome, easy to tell they're mid-tour, firing on all cylinders.

Mumford moved up in the schedule (Foo had their later spot), and incredibly had even more folks up outta their seats than Sat. Had whole place clapping and stomping along. Love 'em! Fantastic energy.

Santana brought out Dave Matthews for Love of My Life, fantastic. A great set building in intensity, but Cindy's drum solo was just eye-roll inducing in this benefit format. Keep the wife happy!

But highlight for me was Dave and Tim getting Mumford up on stage for All Along the Watchtower. Mind blowing. And then Neil came out for Oh Susanna again, fun fun! My gawd -- Tim and Dave are quite the force, nothing like the two of them doing their thang!

The appreciaton of Tony Bennett was spectacular, sure most of the younger audience didn't know more than 2-3 of his songs, but he delivered -- totally evident he's been doing this for SIXTY YEARS. His guitarist was all "Joe Pass" free-wheeling jazz shredding insanity, gave Santana and Tim Reynolds a good run for their money! Just a great, great vibe. Loudest applause of the night!

Saw what we could see but had to get the kids from the sitters after 8 hours and skipped Arcade and the Neil finale, dang. But an awesome weekend of music.

Wrote on Saturday that Santana owned that day, tough call for Sunday -- Mumford very much in the running again with Foo and Dave. Think I kinda overlooked Dave on Saturday (his Sunday set was even better) because of the wet thud left by Arcade right after. (Again, I dug 'em, but vast majority of audience didn't grok them. Wonder how they did on Sunday?)
    [sic] happens
  • theJawastheJawas Posts: 395
    So is Neil mostly acoustic at these shows, or a little electric too? I saw him mostly electric back in 97 on the Horde Festival tour, and he was awesome.
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 523
    Just a few things to note:

1. I want to marry Norah Jones
    2. Two Turntables and A Microphone
    3. Los Invisibles and Santana had a great grove, just like last night
    4. Mumford & Sons did a much better job on night two (in my opinion)
    5. Ed was pretty spot on, as usual
    6. Foos SLAYED it
    7, Friggin ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
    8. Arcade Fire did a MUCH better job on night two. Night one was really toned down for them...as was night two, but at least they had some volume this time. Still didn't come anywhere near the same galaxy as the energy of a pure AF show.
    9. Neil always does great
    10. Did I mention I want to marry Norah Jones?
  • drew42edrew42e Posts: 74
    Kurto: Pretty much everybody is acoustic, though Tony Bennetts guitarist may have been electric? Neil pretty much wears his harmonica and carries his guitar around all day he makes so many guest appearances.

My highlights:
    - Eddie and Neil playing "Don't Cry No Tears", he referenced that if he knew he was gonna mess up Saturday, he shoulda got Neil to help him, and lo and behold Neil played with him for the full song, awesome. Like the other folks said, certainly no fireworks Sunday, but as always a great appearance.
    - Beck closing with "Where It's At", which he said the band hadn't practiced - this was the band he played Sea Change album with, which highlighted most of his set both days - but crowd loved it and it infused the crowd with energy after the more melancholy nature of his prior songs. Though I loved Beck covering "Pocohantas" and Neil coming out to lend a hand, one of my favorite Neil acoustic numbers.
    - Mumford and Sons had a HUGE following, everybody up for them, they were good, but I particularly liked Mark Mumford coming out and singing/playing with Dave Matthews on "Watchtower", which is a staple in Dave shows, albeit usually electric.
    - Santana offered some funky vibes, which was a nice change of pace from the other acts.
    - Best performance of the day in my opinion was the Foo Fighters, they just killed. New songs as good or better acoustic than blasting out of the electric amps (saw them Wed in Oakland), and the set closing version of "Everlong" was chill inducing.
    9/8/98 Newark, NJ, 10/31/00 Mountain View, CA, 10/20/01 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 15), 7/6/06 Las Vegas, NV, 8/28/09 SF, CA, 10/31/09 Philly, PA, 10/23/10 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 24), 09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI, 11/23/13 LA1, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, WI
  • We went to both Saturday and Sunday shows. I'll just comment on both here. Hope that's ok.

Eddie's voice was spot on for both sets. I love how he reacts to messing up. So cute. Glad he decided to give Don't Cry No Tears another try on Saturday. LOVED it. And then to see it again with Neil on Sunday was fantastic. I agree with a couple of others' comments about the duets. Not my favorite part of his sets this weekend, except for Neil. Porch was unbelievable. Saw him do it over the summer a couple of times and this was by far my favorite. Elderly Woman was a great sing along. Really happy to hear I Am A Patriot.

Besides Eddie, I think Foo Fighters were incredible. So much energy and Dave is such a great front man. Everlong was chill inducing as drew42e already said. Mumford and Sons was the biggest surprise for me, in a good way. I've grown a bit tired of their stuff on the radio, but seeing them live has given me a whole new appreciation for their music. Would love to go see an entire concert of theirs now. Tony Bennett is a stud. Hearing him sing I Left My Heart In San Francisco, with that stage set up behind him was just surreal. The crowd loved him. I'm not a big Arcade Fire fan and Saturday's performance left me cold. They did much better on Sunday. Los Invisibles and Santana were great. Loved the drum solo. Beck's stuff from Sea Change was really great. Enjoyed his sets very much. Dave Matthews seemed a little off on Saturday. Not sure if he had been partying a little too much before his set or what, but something seemed weird. Tim Reynolds is an incredible guitarist and was excellent both nights.

Bridge School is such a great event. Such good vibes from everyone. You can tell that the artists are genuinely happy to be there and it really comes through in their performances and interactions with the crowd, the kids, and each other.

Oh, and the fedora was working for Eddie. Loved the fedora. Not only did he sound terrific, but he looked really good. :D
  • Time_BombTime_Bomb Posts: 147
    Just got back to LA from the shows. Eddie was great as always. The crowd around me seemed to be into his set. The entire weekend was just amazing. Best weekend of music for me so far. Can't wait till next year.

Marcus Mumford with Dave was also a highlight.
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries
  • nyandev.jpg

I can't thank Scorp65 and Murray enough for hooking us up with tickets for Saturday and Sunday, respectively. My wife and I got an itch a couple of weeks ago to see these shows, so I posted in a couple places here on these forums for tickets and quickly scored awesome reserved seats at face value for both nights. What a fantastic community. I hope I can repay the favor someday. Murray, I hope your surgery was a success and you're back on your feet in no time.

And even though I didn't care for Arcade Fire either, I was shocked by how much Win Butler sounds like Neil Young from about 30 years ago. Uncanny. Tony Bennet looked blown away by his reception, and he just brought down the house with I left My Heart in San Francisco. Great shows, again.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I think Sunday started stronger - two radio hits, with a tip of the hat to Saturday's Beatles cover. But overall, I think Saturday was the stronger performance. Take it to the cage? LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Tag Team first round of Hide Your Love and No Tears vs Eldery and Last Kiss, ooooh, No Tears stumbles badly, retreats and regathers, but the beatles and neil covers take a shocking beating from the PJ Radio Hits!

Second round is close, Rise vs Patriot, it's anybody's call, the cover embraces the times, but Rise overpowers for the win! Covers are not faring well in the cage!

Third round Regina takes a fall on both sides and Without You strolls in with the easy win!

In the fourth round, Society with Jerry goes toe-to-toe with Just Breathe, one of the best battles in the cage! Society is looking for the first cover win, when the third verse trips and Just Breathe moves in for the pin!

Unfortunately, nothing can beat Porch standing alone, dominant in the cage!

In the Final Round, Sleepless Nights faces off with itself, but repeat No Tears with Neal pops up for an unexpected Sunday win!

Round 1: Sunday
    Round 2: Saturday
    Round 3: Saturday
    Round 4: Saturday
    Round 5: Saturday
    Round 6: Sunday
    [sic] happens
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I've been to both nights, and I honestly can't decide which one I liked better. Wasn't too impressed with the Arcade Fire girl singing with Eddie, but other than that I thought both sets were great. I was absolutely amazed at how great a live vocalist he is, and what an intense stage presence he has (it was my first time seeing him live)...you can guess both from recordings of course, but being there yourself is just a whole different thing.

My highlight on Sunday was Foo Fighters, but I'm probably a bit biased as they're my fav band...I loved These Days accoustic, and I think the atmosphere was really intense for Everlong. I also really enjoyed Mumford and Sons both nights, wasn't too familiar with their music before, but I'll definitely look into them more now. Beck was awesome too.

As for Arcade Fire, they're not something I'd usually listen to, but I thought their performance on Saturday was much better than on Sunday. I quite liked watching them the first night, but the second was just very tame, especially compared to the artists that had been on before. The audience didn't really seem into them either.
    Oh, I was also quite surprised at how many people left before Neil played, especially on Saturday...and I would've liked a different song for the finale, maybe something that more of the performers were familiar with (it seemed like barely anyone was singing along).

Overall, a very memorable experience. Besides the great music, I loved the laid back atmosphere and the friendliness of everyone there. This was my first Bridge School and I hope to be back someday.
  • Im loving the acoustic stuff. but im over it now......I NEED MY PEARL JAM i want Blood i want Animal I want Alive I want Mike Stone Matt And Jeff......Where is the North American Tour, Eddie im waiting
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    only went Sunday so can't compare ...

not sure if it was where I was or the format but only a few songs really got the crowd going Sunday night - perhaps this is why neil cut his set to 2 songs?

eddie's set was solid but the crowd were only so-so into it at the time ... i enjoyed everyone ...

highlights:
    * foo's set (although their "hits" are starting to sound the same)
    * second half of arcade fire's set
    * all along the watchtower (dave matthews and marcus mumford)
    * norah jones and the little willies

also, although it was a bit brutal getting into the venue ... it was a breeze getting out ... woohooo ... was prepared for a 1 hr parking lot fiasco but had no problems whatsoever ...

only negative was them running out of merch early into sunday's set
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Grand finale for the weekend - all guest join Neil for "Get Together" - and if you pay attention, Dave Matthews is hugging Eddie when they walk out around the 18 second mark :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjgqEbUn3dk
    My lips are shaking.......
  • BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    pakalolo wrote:
    nyandev.jpg

I can't thank Scorp65 and Murray enough for hooking us up with tickets for Saturday and Sunday, respectively. My wife and I got an itch a couple of weeks ago to see these shows, so I posted in a couple places here on these forums for tickets and quickly scored awesome reserved seats at face value for both nights. What a fantastic community. I hope I can repay the favor someday. Murray, I hope your surgery was a success and you're back on your feet in no time.

And even though I didn't care for Arcade Fire either, I was shocked by how much Win Butler sounds like Neil Young from about 30 years ago. Uncanny. Tony Bennet looked blown away by his reception, and he just brought down the house with I left My Heart in San Francisco. Great shows, again.

I love Eddie's T-shirt, does anybody know where I can buy i?
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Berasapj wrote:
    I love Eddie's T-shirt, does anybody know where I can buy i?
    +1
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    just correcting the order:

Set list:
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Last Kiss -(Cochran)
    I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt)
    Society w/Jerry Hannan-(Jerry Hannan)
    Tonight You Belong To Me w/Régine Chassagne from Arcade Fire-(Rose, Lee)
    Sleepless Nights w/Beck-(Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant)
    Don't Cry No Tears w/Neil Young-(Young)
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • As much as I loved Ed's Saturday set, I enjoyed Sunday's even more. I thought "Last Kiss", dedicated to Maricor, sounded really fine- it almost seemed as though there were more instruments than just the acoustic guitar. Also, I just loved the duet with Neil, "Don't Cry No Tears". I think Neil and Ed harmonize beautifully together, and to me, that was the highlight of the Sunday concert. Again, it all seemed to go by so fast. When Eddie left the stage, I turned to my husband and said, "He's leaving already??" It seemed hard to believe his set was over! However, when I look back on it, I am grateful that I was there, and had the chance to be at the Bridge Benefit for those two days- and the weather couldn't have been more beautiful!

Incidentally, I celebrated my one year anniversary of discovering PJ at Bridge this year. I first heard them at Bridge 2010, and my life hasn't been the same since!
    "A beacon on dry land"