Options

Camping at PJ20 nixed by PJ

8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
edited October 2011 in The Porch
I hadn't seen this so.....
Pearl Jam rejected camping at Alpine during its Labor Day performances, according to a Shaw letter to the county.

“I wanted to let you know that unfortunately we will not be having any camping at Alpine Valley Music Theatre this summer,” Shaw wrote.

“We were going to do it for Pearl Jam on Labor Day weekend, but the band met and decided that having camping for their shows is just not the scene/vibe they wanted to create, so they nixed it.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2011/jul/03 ... s-concern/

:thumbdown:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Juggalos ruin everything... :lol::lol::lol:
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    81 wrote:
    Pearl Jam rejected camping at Alpine during its Labor Day performances, according to a Shaw letter to the county.

“I wanted to let you know that unfortunately we will not be having any camping at Alpine Valley Music Theatre this summer,” Shaw wrote.

“We were going to do it for Pearl Jam on Labor Day weekend, but the band met and decided that having camping for their shows is just not the scene/vibe they wanted to create, so they nixed it.

Interesting...that would've saved me an awful lot of cash and time paying for and riding the shuttle to and from milwaukee and the drive to and from Waukesha to Milwaukee...oh well it's all over and done with now.
    I'm not human...I'm Danish!
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    nsepstru wrote:
    Interesting...that would've saved me an awful lot of cash and time paying for and riding the shuttle to and from milwaukee and the drive to and from Waukesha to Milwaukee...oh well it's all over and done with now.

No one would have enjoyed day two if there were thousands of us who camped through day one. Imagine the mud and stink-fest...

I'll be in Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival if someone wants to smell me after a couple days camping and festivaling.
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    nsepstru wrote:

No one would have enjoyed day two if there were thousands of us who camped through day one. Imagine the mud and stink-fest...

I'll be in Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival if someone wants to smell me after a couple days camping and festivaling.
    The camp site only has 75 sites-so only a very few folks would have been allowed to camp.
    and it would have likely reduced the number of people buying travel packages

but thats just masturbatory speculation
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I just don't see why the band would be opposed to it...
    They didn't want that "vibe"? So that vibe just moved offsite to other campgrounds...what's the f'n difference?

Pretty lame.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    This isn't anything new. On the Sirius/XM show they said there weren't that many camp sites and it would have taken up a lot of parking spaces.

I think Pearl Jam likes to be in control at their shows, and one way to do that is to clear out the venue and start fresh the next day.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    You didn't hesitate when unlost offered the hide-a-bed in out hotel room.... :P
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Wow, that's weird. That explanation makes absolutely no sense.
    NAUjackfan wrote:

I'm sure they had no idea it was going to rain.
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    So 75 groups would have been able to camp? Even if you put 10 people in a campsite (which is way too many) that's only 750 people out of close to 40k people. I don't see the issue here.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'm kind of glad they didn't do it. Imagine all of the people on here complaining because they couldn't get a camping spot at Alpine. You know those would have sold out in like 2 seconds.
    I liked the campground I stayed at...only $12 a night and a 20 minute drive away from the venue.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Staceb10 wrote:
    So 75 groups would have been able to camp? Even if you put 10 people in a campsite (which is way too many) that's only 750 people out of close to 40k people. I don't see the issue here.
    6 per sight, 450 max

About 1.5% of attendee's

I don't see how that creates a vibe....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    iamica wrote:
    I'm kind of glad they didn't do it. Imagine all of the people on here complaining because they couldn't get a camping spot at Alpine. You know those would have sold out in like 2 seconds.
    I liked the campground I stayed at...only $12 a night and a 20 minute drive away from the venue.
    If you know the numbers going in.....how can you complain....although we :lol: know it would have happened
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Does anyone remember... how it rained that Saturday? Ever been camping in the rain? It kinda sucks... no, it really sucks.
    Trust me... you were better off driving back to your dry hotel room Saturday for a good night's sleep instead of trying to sleep in a soggy sleeping bag in a soaked tent that you brought mud and wet grass into.
    Just figure, they saved you from drafting a complaint on this board about Pearl Jam making people sleep in such deplorable conditions.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    81 wrote:

This statement saying that having camping for their shows is not the scene/vibe they want doesn't make sense to me. Why would they be opposed to having fans camping and hanging out together for an entire weekend? However, I can understand them not doing this for PJ20 if it was because space would have been extremely limited for this particular event/venue.

I still wish Pearl Jam would do a real festival of their own (camping included). They should get in touch with management for Phish and learn how to do a proper festival.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    NeilJam wrote:
    This statement saying that having camping for their shows is not the scene/vibe they want doesn't make sense to me. Why would they be opposed to having fans camping and hanging out together for an entire weekend? However, I can understand them not doing this for PJ20 if it was because space would have been extremely limited for this particular event/venue.

I still wish Pearl Jam would do a real festival of their own (camping included). They should get in touch with management for Phish and learn how to do a proper festival.
    Maybe Pearl Jam gets a gage on who Pearl Jam fans are by reading this message board... you know, the one that complain they can no longer get 70 dollar DVDs and will pay 1,000+ for a 70 dollar backpack. We don't seem like 'camping types'... what, with all of the disposable income we apparently have at hand.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Cosmo wrote:
    Maybe Pearl Jam gets a gage on who Pearl Jam fans are by reading this message board... you know, the one that complain they can no longer get 70 dollar DVDs and will pay 1,000+ for a 70 dollar backpack. We don't seem like 'camping types'... what, with all of the disposable income we apparently have at hand.

Sure, some still wouldn't want to sleep in a tent. But if they did a real fest those who don't want to camp could still get a hotel room (assuming they choose a venue with hotels nearby).
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    RKCNDY wrote:

I'm surprised there haven't been any pics surfacing from this! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

no pictures taken. it was all a dream concocted up by unlost and 4and20 :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

no pictures taken. it was all a dream concocted up by unlost and 4and20 :P

81, is much too embarrassed to say that he had to sleep with one eye open... :twisted: it's ok 81...we won't talk about the waffles...or the coffee.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    how can you sleep when people are taking showers at 4am :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Probably trying to avoid this kind of vibe:

patsycamping_9383.jpg
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Maybe they were trying to avoid this kind of vibe:

appleriver2.jpg
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Maybe they were trying to avoid this kind of vibe:

appleriver2.jpg
    Minus the tents, that sort of thing was happening in the parking lots before the show anyway.
    Cosmo wrote:
    Does anyone remember... how it rained that Saturday? Ever been camping in the rain? It kinda sucks... no, it really sucks.
    Trust me... you were better off driving back to your dry hotel room Saturday for a good night's sleep instead of trying to sleep in a soggy sleeping bag in a soaked tent that you brought mud and wet grass into.
    Just figure, they saved you from drafting a complaint on this board about Pearl Jam making people sleep in such deplorable conditions.
    A ton of people ended up camping regardless, just not at Alpine.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    how can you sleep when people are taking showers at 4am :lol:

I didn't have to wait for 3 other people to take their shower in teh morning...and everybody at least washed their feet before going to bed anyway. :P

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Camping at the gorge was fine...great in fact. No bad vibes, no wooks
    Gorge