Gaddafi 'dead'

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited October 2011 in A Moving Train
Bagsy me first with the breaking news
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/gaddaf ... -1.1161359

I wonder whether his golden suit with the Roger Daltrey tassles and the fat shoulder pads will turn up on eBay.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    and the planet is safe now in Peace..awesome
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • No confirmation of either his capture or his death yet, though there is a pretty grisly picture on the Guardian blog.

Personally, I hope he hasn't been killed and that he has to answer for his crimes in front of the ICC.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • and the planet is safe now in Peace..awesome

I assume you're being sarcastic, Dimi!
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    No confirmation of either his capture or his death yet, though there is a pretty grisly picture on the Guardian blog.

Personally, I hope he hasn't been killed and that he has to answer for his crimes in front of the ICC.

Yeah, it's a bit on the Budd Dwyer side, that picture.
  • So... there are reports he was killed in an airstrike. There are reports that he was captured alive and was wounded in both legs. There are reports that he was taken to hospital. There are reports that he was shot in both legs and then in the head. There are reports that he was shot in the belly. There are reports that he was slapped with a shoe. I think the only thing we can say for certain is that we don't know anything for certain yet.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    No confirmation of either his capture or his death yet, though there is a pretty grisly picture on the Guardian blog.

I had to look away quickly when I first saw the picture.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    So... there are reports he was killed in an airstrike. There are reports that he was captured alive and was wounded in both legs. There are reports that he was taken to hospital. There are reports that he was shot in both legs and then in the head. There are reports that he was shot in the belly. There are reports that he was slapped with a shoe. I think the only thing we can say for certain is that we don't know anything for certain yet.
    yes there are a lot of unconfirmed reports and rumors out there. i don't know who to believe. i am pretty sure we will know something in the next few hours.

so does this mean that the revolution in libya is officially over? or are there still gadhafi loyalists fighting?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    and the planet is safe now in Peace..awesome

I assume you're being sarcastic, Dimi!
    ofcourse im buddy..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    So... there are reports he was killed in an airstrike. There are reports that he was captured alive and was wounded in both legs. There are reports that he was taken to hospital. There are reports that he was shot in both legs and then in the head. There are reports that he was shot in the belly. There are reports that he was slapped with a shoe. I think the only thing we can say for certain is that we don't know anything for certain yet.
    "slapped with a shoe" :lol:

I would have liked to see him stand trial and live out his life in prison
  • pandora wrote:
    "slapped with a shoe" :lol:

I would have liked to see him stand trial and live out his life in prison

Me too.

Hitting someone with a shoe is an extreme sign of disrespect in the region. Remember this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7782422.stm
  • Al-Jazeera, who are unambiguously saying he is dead, are now saying there are reports that he was alive when he was captured. It would be a pretty bad start to the NTC's administration if they are already involved in summary executions.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited October 2011
    Lots of conflicting and unconfirmed reports of what actually has happened. It's almost certain he is dead but how....? Though does anyone really think that if he was captured alive that the 'rebels' would have let him live?
    Post edited by redrock on
  • so does this mean that the revolution in libya is officially over? or are there still gadhafi loyalists fighting?

The BBC has this: Konstantin Kosachev, who heads the Russian parliament's foreign affairs committee, tells the Interfax news agency the capture of Col Gaddafi, if proved to be true, "will not mark a turning point in the Libyan conflict". He says there is no reason to think the situation in Libya will "normalise" if the rumours are confirmed.

Reuters are reporting that the NTC Vice-Chairman has confirmed that Gaddafi is dead. The interim president is getting ready to make a statement...

EDIT: Al-Jazeera are showing a close up picture of someone who looks very like Gaddafi, and looks very dead. Apparently, it's from a video of his body being dragged through the streets... grim.
    TV just showed Gaddafi's body being dragged around through the streets.....
  • Richard Dickler, director of Human Rights Watch's international justice programme, said:

Reports of Muammar Gaddafi's death, if accurate, deprive the Libyan people of the chance to see him held to account in a fair trial at the ICC for the egregious crimes he allegedly committed while suppressing peaceful demonstrations in February 2011.
    However, his demise does not extinguish the need to bring to trial those most responsible for serious crimes against humanity and war crimes in Libya to fair trial in The Hague.
  • The Libyan Prime Minister has announced Gaddafi's death.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Better than the almost $800 billion we spent on another dictator.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Better than the almost $800 billion we spent on another dictator.

Yes, better than spending more on other dictators from a purely costs standpoint, but I think maybe the amount spent propping Gaddafi up should be factored into this as well. $1 billion to take him but how many billions did we give him throughout his rule?

That's all besides the point, though, whether it is $1 billion or $800 billion it is all wasted money and all falls under the category of egregious.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Most the news media have edited Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State, full reaction to Gadaff’s murder. We all know once it goes viral, someone has it and good ole YouTube may be the one only left standing, for now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y.

WTF, We came, We saw, He died, as she laughed and clapped. How bloody are the hands of America in this whole so called ‘April Spring’ campaign? Look at Iraq? Look at the future state of countries like Yemen, Syria, Libya, and Afghanistan, the list could go on and on. People will get to have elections, people will get recognized as a democracy and yet, as rich as their countries are in resources, the people will still be poor, living off of handouts of the IMF and World Bank while the West privatize and profit off their resources.

Gadaff’s death is a direct result of the so-called April Spring campaign. Watching Hillary Clinton laughing, made me wonder, if the faces of these protesters for democracy are the future faces of terrorists when all the promises are broken or fail. When things don't change, when they realize their leadership is just a puppet of the West and they are still unemployed, still hungry, still on a watch list, still Third World, still Muslim.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    puremagic wrote:
    Most the news media have edited Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State, full reaction to Gadaff’s murder. We all know once it goes viral, someone has it and good ole YouTube may be the one only left standing, for now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y.

WTF, We came, We saw, He died, as she laughed and clapped. How bloody are the hands of America in this whole so called ‘April Spring’ campaign? Look at Iraq? Look at the future state of countries like Yemen, Syria, Libya, and Afghanistan, the list could go on and on. People will get to have elections, people will get recognized as a democracy and yet, as rich as their countries are in resources, the people will still be poor, living off of handouts of the IMF and World Bank while the West privatize and profit off their resources.

Gadaff’s death is a direct result of the so-called April Spring campaign. Watching Hillary Clinton laughing, made me wonder, if the faces of these protesters for democracy are the future faces of terrorists when all the promises are broken or fail. When things don't change, when they realize their leadership is just a puppet of the West and they are still unemployed, still hungry, still on a watch list, still Third World, still Muslim.

That is a really good post,
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    redrock wrote:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/afric ... 75476.html
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    redrock wrote:
    I need to teach a section in Dictatorship 101.....when the shit goes bad.....when there's a slight to good chance that you are about to lose a bloody civil war or simply just a war....Don't be Mussolini......get the fuck out...be Idi Amin...living the good life in exile...in Saudi Arabia.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    He could've been a hip hop star, he was like another Kool Moe Dee or Afrika Bambataa with his fashion.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    puremagic wrote:
    ....if the faces of these protesters for democracy are the future faces of terrorists when all the promises are broken or fail. When things don't change, when they realize their leadership is just a puppet of the West and they are still unemployed, still hungry, still on a watch list, still Third World, still Muslim.

What troubled me greatly is the manner of Gaddafi's death - captured then beaten, manhandled, humiliated, dragged through the streets, executed with a bullet in the head - and the response from the NTC. Whilst videos and photos taken by the rebel forces and others clearly show what happened, the NTC still maintain that he got 'caught in crossfire' and, contrary to what they said (ie there will be an autopsy to determine cause of death - at the appeal of human rights groups and a few governments), now the military council is saying no autopsy will take place - now or ever.

So when it comes to Gaddafi, I go by the old adage 'live by the sword, die by the sword' but I am very sad at the way this was handled. A new society supposedly there for democracy, law & order and transparency start off with a flagrant act of breach of human rights (which some may say Gaddafi wasn't entitled to anything(, a flagrant lie from a transitional government (which, I must say the West seem 'happy' to brush over) and a military 'crackdown' with them deciding on whether there will be an autopsy or not (when the government said there would). So basically lies and deceit from the start. Not a good omen.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    redrock wrote:
    puremagic wrote:
    ....if the faces of these protesters for democracy are the future faces of terrorists when all the promises are broken or fail. When things don't change, when they realize their leadership is just a puppet of the West and they are still unemployed, still hungry, still on a watch list, still Third World, still Muslim.

What troubled me greatly is the manner of Gaddafi's death - captured then beaten, manhandled, humiliated, dragged through the streets, executed with a bullet in the head - and the response from the NTC. Whilst videos and photos taken by the rebel forces and others clearly show what happened, the NTC still maintain that he got 'caught in crossfire' and, contrary to what they said (ie there will be an autopsy to determine cause of death - at the appeal of human rights groups and a few governments), now the military council is saying no autopsy will take place - now or ever.

So when it comes to Gaddafi, I go by the old adage 'live by the sword, die by the sword' but I am very sad at the way this was handled. A new society supposedly there for democracy, law & order and transparency start off with a flagrant act of breach of human rights (which some may say Gaddafi wasn't entitled to anything(, a flagrant lie from a transitional government (which, I must say the West seem 'happy' to brush over) and a military 'crackdown' with them deciding on whether there will be an autopsy or not (when the government said there would). So basically lies and deceit from the start. Not a good omen.
    I'm sorry, it seems more than a little naive to think that after 40+ yrs of oppression that the common man on the street would treat him with any kind of civility by OUR definition. What we saw was more in line with mob mentality in addition to culturally ingrained insults shown to an enemy.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I'm sorry, it seems more than a little naive to think that after 40+ yrs of oppression that the common man on the street would treat him with any kind of civility by OUR definition. What we saw was more in line with mob mentality in addition to culturally ingrained insults shown to an enemy.

As I said in another post, I really didn't think he would have been treated differently by the rebels if captured alive - so no naivety there. What troubles me is the 'political' side of this and the response/lies/attempt at cover up from the NTC and the military dictating certain things to the NTC. Again - lies and deceit from the start from a transitional government priding themselves on being democratic and transparent.

Just wondering if Libya is just going to be another Egypt where, since the revolution and removing Mubarak from power, the 'temporary' military council is still there, no elections yet as promised and the military saying they now intend to retain full control of the government even after the election of a new parliament. Lies and deceit from the start as well.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    redrock wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

As I said in another post, I really didn't think he would have been treated differently by the rebels if captured alive - so no naivety there. What troubles me is the 'political' side of this and the response/lies/attempt at cover up from the NTC and the military dictating certain things to the NTC. Again - lies and deceit from the start from a transitional government priding themselves on being democratic and transparent.

Just wondering if Libya is just going to be another Egypt where, since the revolution and removing Mubarak from power, the 'temporary' military council is still there, no elections yet as promised and the military saying they now intend to retain full control of the government even after the election of a new parliament. Lies and deceit from the start as well.
    If they are using the US and British Gov as models, of course there will be lies, etc..... NOTHING should surprise from government unless its fair, evenhanded, and makes total sense. Otherwise its business as we know it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14