Options

What does Pearl Jam mean to you?

Fixer_1976Fixer_1976 Posts: 48
edited September 2011 in The Porch
As I watched PJ20 @ The Cinerama in Seattle on Saturday night I couldn't help to think about how much Pearl Jam has been a huge part of my life over the past twenty years. Not to sound corny but PJ seemed to be the friend that never let me down. No matter where I was in my life the music just seemed to fit the occasion....you can never underestimate the healing power of music.

Here are my top ten highlights over the past 20 years...enjoy......

1. 1992, I was 15 years old and saw PJ play Lallapalooza in Saratoga Springs, NY...they played 2nd or 3rd that day and followed Lush. I had never seen anything like it....from the opening strums of Once I was hooked. The show featured PJ, STP, Soundgarden, Chilli Peppers, Lush and Ice Cube....does it get any better?

2. 1996, I saw PJ play the "No Ticketmaster" arena tour in Hartford, CT with my best friends on the planet. We were poor college student who sold cd's, cloths and old text books to scalp lawn seats. PJ played, in my opinion the best live version of Not for You I have ever heard. Check it out if you haven't heard it. Let me know if you agree.

3. 1998, I took my 14 year old cousin to his first PJ show in Washington DC to the Voters for Choice concert...we bought tixs on thee street only to find out @ the door they were fake. We were crushed and sat in front of the building until the show started....5 min's before show time a security guard came out and asked us what happened....we told him our sad story...he walked us in and sat us 5 rows deep on Stones side. PJ played the fist live version of Push Me Pull Me and a version of Alive that still brings a smile to my face.

4. 1999, Relocated to Seattle with my best friend from college. Our first night in Seattle we went to The Crocodile Cafe to see Hovercraft play with C-Average. I was drunk by 7pm and trashed by 9:30. Nothing like a live show in Seattle to start things off. There was about 20 people there during C-Averages set.....5 feet to my left was Ed. I waited till th set was done and quickly went over to introduce myself...Ed quickly took the record I bought from C-Average out of my hands to take a look. We shook hands and spoke for about 10 min's.....I thanked him for the music and he thanked me for being a fan....just a great guy who took 10 min's out of his day to make a great and lasting memory that I will never forget. Thanks Ed...you made my first night in Seattle a great one.

5. 2000, Heard PJ was playing a secret warm up gig in Bellingham, WA. I called in sick from work and sat outside the building just to hear the sound check....an hour before the show a cute little blond came out and handed me and another girl 2 tix's each...had 10th row and it was a night to remember. Something about hearing PJ play songs live first is just really special. I ended up hooking up with the other girl who got he tixs so thanks PJ for the hookup :)

6.2003, No idea how I got in...saw both PJ shows @ the Showbox in Seattle. Incredible to see them play live in such a small place. Seeing Steve Earl open up the 2nd night was huge as well. I also caught a pic from McCready.

7. 2005, Seeing PJ play the Gorge with my now Wife was an experience to remember.It was her first show and she was hooked after the opening acoustic version of "I believe in Miracles".....incredible place to see a show.

8. 2008, buying Matt Cameron drinks @ a bar in downtown Seattle. Just cool to buy a beer for he best drummer in the world....am I wrong?

9. 2009, PJ releasing "Just Breathe" a day before my son was born and listening to that song 1000x's as I held my son in the hospital for the first time. Little touchy feely here but PJ music always seem to fit any occasion :)

10. 2011, my son is 2 years old now and knows and sings the words to Spin the Black Circle and Big Wave....makes me really proud.

Sorry to ramble here...just haas been a great 20 years. Thanks PJ for everything......would love to hear some other PJ highlights from the board...be well all and be sound!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is such a hard question to answer cause they mean the fucking world to me. I just honestly don't know how to put it in words. They have gotten me through some shit times. Something family or friends couldnt get me through. I'm forever in debt.

Fuck Yeah Pearl Jam
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more...nicely said my friend.
  • Options
    All nicely said....It all means something different to everyone here, but then, it all really is the same too 8-)

This isn't just music...it's life
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    If you don't believe in the healing power of music you never saw PJ play live. Im thankful I have gotten to enjoy 20 years...wish it was 1991 again and it was all just starting. Its also cool to know how many people feel the same way that I do.
  • Options
    PJRock75 wrote:
    All nicely said....It all means something different to everyone here, but then, it all really is the same too 8-)

This isn't just music...it's life

definitely agree, it's LIFE. I can't imagine my life without Pearl Jam's music. There are songs for every emotion we go through, I don't even know how to explain the connection. Just beautiful.
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries
  • Options
    Fixer_1976, you've definitely been in the right place at the right time. Great experiences - you are so lucky to have such special moments touch you throughout the years.

PJ has cast a major spell over so many of us and our day to day lives. I am so grateful to PJ to have pulled me thru a few hard moments. Hard to express, but over 20 years, they've been the musical part of the script of my life, and lately I've been able to introduce my kids to the importance of this band. It's not just the music - it's the message. Not all bands have a conscience. I love these guys.
  • Options
    Happiness :D
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    Thanks Forester- looking back @ my post I wish I used spell check :) I rushed a bit to get it all down. I was lucky for sure and just feel greatful for the PJ experience.
  • Options
    it's simple, but i owe the fact that i started playing guitar again to pearl jam. i started taking lessons when i was in the 7th grade and stuck with it until the middle of 9th grade. i guess i grew out of playing, so i packed my $100 electric and cheap acoustic away into my closet, sold my fender amp (still kicking my ass about that one) and never gave much thought. after high school i took a year off before i went to college and that's when i really started getting into pearl jam. i bought ten, then vs, then vitalogy, then yield... i was hooked. i ended up buying touring band 2000 one day and i went home and put it on. the way mike made his guitar sound during the even flow solo really stuck with me. i grabbed my acoustic one afternoon and started to play along. this would last for hours each day. i'd look up chords on the internet, pause the dvd to see where on the fret board stones fingers were so i could try to match... this was especially hard on nothing man because i didn't own a capo lol playing along with the dvd got me back into playing guitar.
    i'm sure many on this board play guitar (or any instrument) so you know how empty you'd feel if that instrument was taken away from you. i don't know what i'd do without the guitar, i love playing... and i owe that love to pearl jam. sappy but true lol
  • Options
    Awesome post Fox...keep playing the guit!!!!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Fixer_1976 wrote:
    As I watched PJ20 @ The Cinerama in Seattle on Saturday night I couldn't help to think about how much Pearl Jam has been a huge part of my life over the past twenty years. Not to sound corny but PJ seemed to be the friend that never let me down. No matter where I was in my life the music just seemed to fit the occasion....you can never underestimate the healing power of music.

This thread makes me happy. :D Conversations like this are whats missing on here a lot lately.
    You have some great, great memories/exxxperiences. You said it perfectly -Pearl Jam is the friend that never lets you down. I've always told people that me being in love (not lust) with the boys, is the longest relationship of my life! :lol: They just fill an area, a big portion of who we are, what we do, and have grown to mean SO much.

When i saw the movie, i hadd this like...burning in my heart of like....ANXXXIOUSNESS and EXXXCITEMENT. i felt sooooooo proud of them and it just made me feel closer to them, learning/seeing new things. At the end of the movie i felt a sense of accomplishment?-that i chose the right band to dedicate my life to! Sure, there are a bunch of other bands that make great music. But Pearl Jam.....its just different. The music, the lyrics, the boys themselves, they just all fit well together and that has made an impact on my life.

I have some good moments throughout the years but my first major memory was sneaking out of the house in 95 with my cousin to drive to San Diego for our first pearl jam show. After listening to them for a few years, NEVER being successful with tickets, i finally scored tickets thru the mail! :lol: Our parents were NOT fans of us listening to "devil music" :lol: so we kept this plan to ourselves! My uncle hadd just given my cousin a 68 camaro that was collecting dust so we fired it up and drove it from L.A to S.D. I remember pulling up to the sports arena, never having witnessed a CRAZY looking scene in the parking lot, i was mesmerized. i told my cousin "wowwww, THIS is why our parents wont let us go to rock shows" :lol:

That night i got to see the ramones open and i remember being in my seat and seeing flannel EVERYWHERE and joints being passed around. Everyone seemed out of control yet like one big family. When Release started and the stage was lit with candles, the sound of Eds voice rumbled through my soul. I knew right then and there i was NEVER straying away from this band. My life was forever changed. Like i hadd seen the promised land!

Since then, i have met a numerous amount of people here on the board and at shows. i must say, some of my very best frenz were made right in this community. Everyone i've gotten to know have been great and everybody seems to look out for each other and im not sure that happens with other bands. i love the boys for sticking together and keeping us all going. i think us without them and them without us, we'd be nowhere. So needless to say, they mean EVERYTHING to me. :wave:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Senrock....as I pack my bag for a business trip to Chicago tomorrow Im downloading the 1996 PJ show in Hartford, Ct. This was my 2nd show and one I think everyone will enjoy. Take a special listen to Not for You....

Love the feedback here...just curious, was anyone else @ the lallapalooza show in Saratoga that year or the '96 Hartford show?
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Fixer_1976 wrote:
    Thanks for sharing Senrock....as I pack my bag for a business trip to Chicago tomorrow Im downloading the 1996 PJ show in Hartford, Ct. This was my 2nd show and one I think everyone will enjoy. Take a special listen to Not for You....

Love the feedback here...just curious, was anyone else @ the lallapalooza show in Saratoga that year or the '96 Hartford show?

LOVE Chicago! (sorry, i got distracted :? :lol: )

im looking to download that 96 show now :D and by the way, the only lolla show i've seen pearl jam at was the 2007 one unfortunately.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    The '96 show is incredible...let me know what you think after you listen.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Fixer_1976 wrote:
    my son is 2 years old now and knows and sings the words to Spin the Black Circle and Big Wave
    That's the best of 'em! :thumbup:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    They mean everything to me
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    they have been a great soundtrack to my life.
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    The bubble I live in includes my family, my football team and Pearl Jam.

That is it.
  • Options
    Been a fan since 1998, and has no luck in living on country that they might never hopped in. Not quite wealthy either, to score ticket in abroad show. Distance-wise/economic-wise, the shortest was Australia in 2009, but I didn't make it. My wife got pregnant and our child was about to be born at 2009, so I must skipped the plan to catch PJ down-under.

In 2010, I got my first stamp on my passport. First time being abroad. This time visiting Sydney. I'm planning to do many activities and sightseeings. But in day 1, I was lucky to be in a music store when they're about to close. There, I saw Pearl Jam Ten Super Deluxe. Tenclub/Amazon didn't ship this item to our country, so I really get bumped when I saw. I bought it and suddenly the rest of my itineraries were no longer important. :D

Still, a big Pearl Jam fan, even though I still don't know when will fate bring me to their concert.
    Five, five...five against who?
  • Options
    Fixer_1976 wrote:

I was at the Hartford '96 show and yes, as always, the whole show impresses....however, what most people don't remember was that the crowd was pepper sprayed at this Hartford show too (first time). Then again it happened in '98...which led to the little quote in the credits of Live On Two Legs about the Hartford police should leave the kids alone or something like that.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Fixer_1976 wrote:

Hartford was my first show. I could not go to the Saratoga show because I was at camp (I lived outside Albany at the time).

Not For You at Hartford = best ever.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Hey PJ Rock_75...I was sprayed with pepper spray @ the '98 show in Hartford for dancing in the isle. If I remember right Ed asked us to dance or the show was over...those bastard cops sprayed me good....their is a quote in Live on two Legs that says "Get a life hartford Cops, leave those kids alone"...I was one of those kids ;)

Good times, good times :)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I got peripherally nailed with pepper spray at both shows.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    It's where most of my disposable income goes..