*Patagonia/PJ20 backpack review*

SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
edited November 2013 in The Porch
On a scale from 1-5 stars, rate the backpack in YOUR opinion. This will give people who didnt get one a better idea and help decide if they still want to trade "BENNY" for one! :lol:

My vote is 5 stars.....

Here are some pics:

The arrival (it shipped in a white plastic mailer from ups)
arrival.jpg
top zipper pocket that has a soft flannel like material
topzip.jpg

Sturdy & thick straps
backside.jpg

top handle (thick plastic?)
tophandle.jpg

front view (the "patch" is actually embroidered into the fabric)
embroidered.jpg

front zipper (fits the vault cd :D and still room to roam...)
frontszip.jpg

side pocket
emptyside.jpg

side pocket (holds 3 dvds comfortably)
dvdpocket.jpg

other side pocket holds flip flops perfectly :mrgreen:
flipfloppocket.jpg

inside main zipper (room for several notebooks, shoes, paint brushes, etc. )
heels.jpg

15inch laptop
lappy.jpg
fits right in the laptop pocket!
lappypocket.jpg

2nd zipper fits cell phone, has key hook, pen holders, coin pocket, fits books and still has room...
insidefront.jpg

here is a comparison of my quiksilver backpack that i've toured/traveled with for 7 years. the red bp is a bit wider and bulkier but the straps are now worn out.
frontsidebyside.jpg
sideshot.jpg
sidebyside.jpg

here is pj20bp on its first short trip to a meeting :D it got lots of attention!
firsttrip.jpg

Here is the whistle i wasn't aware of! :lol: the only grey clip on the bag!
whistle2.jpg

here is a PLASTIC bottle the same height as the SIGG and a bit wider. Fits perfectly.
bottle.jpg

Heres the opening to the "straw compartment" that i never knew was there! I didnt have a bendy straw so just used any one i could find.
backofbag.jpg
the opening INSIDE leads strait down to the inside pocket behind/near the laptop strap.
strawopening1.jpg
straw.jpg
~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i dont believe my self..i open and see all the fotos :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Got mine today and it's pretty badass

It has given me the travel bug.
    It's saucy :)

I give it 5 stars plus a Kenneth Gaspar
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I give it 5 stars plus a Kenneth Gaspar

booooooooooooooooooooom...I should be getting mine tomorrow
    aqo2t.jpg
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Where's mine??

Thanks for posting, I'm excited now!!
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    thanks for posting! you should make living on equipment reviews:) can't wait for mine. just let me know: i ordered it as a backpack to carry all my stuff during weekend trips. got a bit confused with the laptop pocket (i dont like travelling with it). will it be ok to carry a hoodie and, say, a canon 40D with two small lenses? this is what i am interested in.
    peace,
    m.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Is Patagonia really the best for backpacks? I know nothing about backpacks and was simply wondering if this was the brand to go with. It looks really cool & compact but am just wondering whether or not I should go with this brand and whether or not I should go with the next size up?
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i love how i got my backpack today, it is sitting right in front of me, but i still had to click on all your links to see what it looked like ;)

4 out of 5.

wishing it was a tab bit bigger. my personal laptop will fit in the big compartment easily. but might be a tight fit for my 17'' work laptop.

still a great great product and well worth the purchase.
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    marcos wrote:
    Is Patagonia really the best for backpacks? I know nothing about backpacks and was simply wondering if this was the brand to go with. It looks really cool & compact but am just wondering whether or not I should go with this brand and whether or not I should go with the next size up?

i had a great north face for YEARS that took a severe beating, almost on it's last leg, this PJ20 pack popped up and it was a good opportunity to get a new one.

i travel a lot for business & personal and love to hike and camp. this should fit the bill nicely, but if you are looking for something a tab bit bigger, i would go with a north face.
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    Still waiting, which is driving me mad.... ;)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    rival. wrote:
    marcos wrote:

i had a great north face for YEARS that took a severe beating, almost on it's last leg, this PJ20 pack popped up and it was a good opportunity to get a new one.

i travel a lot for business & personal and love to hike and camp. this should fit the bill nicely, but if you are looking for something a tab bit bigger, i would go with a north face.

Thanks, good idea, I like North face's other stuff, thus a good bag would make sense.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Bigda wrote:
    thanks for posting! you should make living on equipment reviews:) can't wait for mine. just let me know: i ordered it as a backpack to carry all my stuff during weekend trips. got a bit confused with the laptop pocket (i dont like travelling with it). will it be ok to carry a hoodie and, say, a canon 40D with two small lenses? this is what i am interested in.
    peace,
    m.

thank ya! :D
    in MY opinion? its PERFECT for carrying those items. if your lenses are in cases, you could probably fit one on each of the side pockets and theres awesome straps that secure everything. your camera could easily be accessible in the very front zipper where i have my vault cd or, in the middle zipper where my cell phone was. the laptop fits perfectly and is off the "floor" so you dont have to worry about impact. im in LOVE with this thing!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

And you're in Montana. I'm in New York, so I'll probably get it Columbus day. I haven't been this eager for something I ordered in years!

Thanks Senrock for all the pics.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    One more day and youll be mine!!!

Then I go to Europe with you!
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
    marcos wrote:

i've never owned patagonia. i've always stuck to quiksilver becuz they've all lasted me for yeeears and are weatherproof! as for size....this patagonia is slightly smaller than ones i normally get but.....theres space/compartments for everything basically. i travel a lot and carry my quik bp on the plane and i always have a hard time fitting it under my seat! this pj20 one will be just right!

SENROCK wrote:
    Bigda wrote:
    peace,
    m.

in MY opinion? its PERFECT for carrying those items. if your lenses are in cases, you could probably fit one on each of the side pockets and theres awesome straps that secure everything. your camera could easily be accessible in the very front zipper where i have my vault cd or, in the middle zipper where my cell phone was. the laptop fits perfectly and is off the "floor" so you dont have to worry about impact. im in LOVE with this thing!
    Brother, thank you, but you seem to not know how big 40D is esp. with extra batteries :) also, carrying lenses in side pockets would be a bad idea :) but i am just a pessimist, i guess. you know, half empty:) thank you, though. the backpack seems great.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
    JaneNY wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

And you're in Montana. I'm in New York, so I'll probably get it Columbus day. I haven't been this eager for something I ordered in years!

CROJAM95 got his today in New York so you should be tomorrow!!!! :D

Bigda wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:
    Bigda wrote:
    peace,
    m.

Brother, thank you, but you seem to not know how big 40D is esp. with extra batteries :) also, carrying lenses in side pockets would be a bad idea :) but i am just a pessimist, i guess. you know, half empty:) thank you, though. the backpack seems great.

:lol::lol::lol: i thought about that after i posted! :lol: dont worry, it will all fit in there SOMEWHERE, nicely!

coolio! :) i figured you couldn't be 80 yrs old to not realize :) thank you. just never liked laptop backpacks - my ex boss had one. if you know what i mean. overgrown college kid:)
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    5 Stars!!!!! Received today and it's fucking bad ass sweet! :D
    SENROCK wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

CROJAM95 got his today in New York so you should be tomorrow!!!! :D

Here i thought Montana was on the way to New York from Seattle... hmmmm

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS wrote:

you never know:)
    Bigda wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

:lol:

Well after all, here in Montana we still get our mail by stage coach.... :lol:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Bigda wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

:lol:

Well after all, here in Montana we still get our mail by stage coach.... :lol:
    spectacular:)
    Whats funnier is that everybody got these like a year sooner than the 'christmas' single! :lol:

SENROCK wrote:
    Whats funnier is that everybody got these like a year sooner than the 'christmas' single! :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol: give'em enough backpacks!
  • I'm still waiting for mine in Massachusetts. It usually takes at least a week to get here from Seattle. I should have it by Thursday. I can't wait. :)
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • 4 stars, just because 5 would make it perfect and I don't think it is perfect. But that being said, right before I saw the PJ20 bag I was shopping for a new small day pack to replace my old North Face pack that was stained and wearing out after years of use. I found a Mountain Hardware pack on-line that I liked for $95.00. Luckily I didn't order it immediately. Saw the PJ20 pack and managed to place the order with my phone. Glad I did. Although I haven't seen the Mountain Hardware pack in person I think this pack is just as good AND less expensive.

A couple of things: I wish it had the stretchy straps on the outside to stick a jacket or other stuff in. I like a small zipper pocket on the inside to put small stuff like jewelry, coins, pills, hair bands, etc, and there is none. There is a small zipper pocket on the top outside, but the hydration tube hole comes through it. So if you have a hydration tube you will have to leave the zipper partially unzipped. Or maybe that small zipper pocket is to store the tube.????
    And one final thing: I am going to have a hard time keeping the shiny black exterior looking clean. It will show dust and dirt very easily. The Mountain Hardware I had picked out was a dark red.

But overall I am very happy with it and glad I ordered it. By the way I have a "bigger" day pack that I use for hiking and day trips where I need to take extra clothes and stuff. This one I plan on using as a carry on for travel - as my vacation day pack.

AND I got mine today in Kentucky.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,405
    Nice review! Can't wait to get mine!!
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704

what?!...thats where I am...however, my town just voted to sell alcohol last year....we're a little behind i guess
    aqo2t.jpg
    pjradio wrote:

what?!...thats where I am...however, my town just voted to sell alcohol last year....we're a little behind i guess
    what? no selling alco in Kentucky until a year ago? is that right?