Advice on starting Vinyl collection?

Disco PortlandDisco Portland Posts: 1,034
edited October 2011 in The Porch
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to start collecting vinyl. I currently have nothing...zip...zero...zilch. :cry: So can you experts guide me in the right direction? Would you buy new, used or anything you can get your hands on? What's the best place to look etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
1996: Seattle, WA.
1997: Oakland, CA - (Rolling Stones)
1998: Portland, OR. & Seattle, WA.
2009: Portland, OR.
2011: East Troy, WI. 1 & 2 - PJ20 & Portland, OR. - Ed Solo
2012: Dallas, TX. - Ed Solo
2013: Dallas, TX. Oklahoma City, OK. & Portland, OR.
2014: Tulsa, OK
2015: Seattle WA. - Mad Season
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Miami, FL. & Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
2017: Dana Point - Ohana Fest - Ed Solo
2018: Seattle WA. 1 & 2 - Safeco
2021: Dana Point - Ohana Fest 1st Weekend & Night 1 & 2 - Ed Solo,
2022: Louisville, St Louis
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If you care about value of records, buy used first editions which are mint.

if you don't care about high priced vinyl, buy what you want to listen to.

I collect vinyl, but don't care about prices, just like the sound of them, so i buy whatever i want.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Once you start looking, you'll be surprised how fast you'll find stuff.

I started with the goal of 'all the holiday singles'-found 1991 within 2 months...for a screaming deal. Within 10 months I had all but 2...still looking for them. Also look in Lost Dogs to get an idea about how much you should be paying for the vinyl (for Pearl Jam).
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    be prepared to drop a lot of moolah

ten 15-40
    vs 15-40
    vit 15-40
    no code 50-75
    yield 50-100
    binaural 85-115
    lost dogs 75-100
    Greatest hits 60-100
    Riot act 65-90
    backspacer 15-40
    avocado- 35-60
    benaroya 600-1000
    fan club singles...range in price from 5-125(first one)
    general prices you can usually find these for

don't be afraid to buy a used copy, just always always read the descriptions on conditions and what may be damaged on the sleeves and disc

sealed.....could it mean original and not opened? Yes, It can also mean opened and resealed, so if you are looking for unused copies ask if it is, sealed can be misleading

180 gram vinyl is thicker

record players.....
    -a good needle(stylus) can cost 100-1000 dollars so maybe start simple, you can always upgrade it.
    -see how a turntable plays the 45 rpm, so you have to move belts or flip a switch? I love my project debut II, but switching the belts is a pain in the ass.
    - make sure you know how you plan on listening, if you are putting it into a stero you either need to buy a phono pre-amp, or a phono input on your receiver. Some turntables have that built in so you can put it into normal inputs as some modern digital equipment doesn't even have a phono input
    - keep your turntable away from your speakers
    - keep the power cables away from the input lines and tonearm if possible
    - invest into a spray cleaner called groove glide, it reduces static and reduces needle friction

most importantly, don;t let all the money numbers scare you, be patient, collecting is a long term commitment and search, you can't expect to get everything right away....not if you want to drop 3 grand at least on everything. start entry level on the turntables and needles etc. Start used as you may not like the sound at all. Records have a amount of hiss/noise to them, at first it is really annoying, but once the music kicks in it disappears into it and you adjust. you get used to it and will love the warmth a record produces over digital. Clean digital sound is great, but warm analog is amazing when you get it all right!

don't be afraid to trade or obtain doubles, you may never know when that extra copy of no code will come in ahndy getting you something else!

enjoy the hunt, but be realistic as to your means, as once you get the itch it is easy to spend a shit load of money
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    edited September 2011
    And wait until Record Store Day..... What a blast.

Here's a good link....
    www.vvinyl.com/s/record_store_day

They still have the PJ release of Vs and Vitalogy available. These will be 180 g records. Good Start
    Post edited by quimby20 on
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Know people with full catalogs .

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EF011XQB
  • WOW...all great information. At this point I want to listen and don't really care much about the value. I'm not looking to flip the stuff, I want to own it.

You guys are right about having all the time in the world. I'll just (try) to take my time and enjoy the ride!
    1996: Seattle, WA.
    1997: Oakland, CA - (Rolling Stones)
    1998: Portland, OR. & Seattle, WA.
    2009: Portland, OR.
    2011: East Troy, WI. 1 & 2 - PJ20 & Portland, OR. - Ed Solo
    2012: Dallas, TX. - Ed Solo
    2013: Dallas, TX. Oklahoma City, OK. & Portland, OR.
    2014: Tulsa, OK
    2015: Seattle WA. - Mad Season
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Miami, FL. & Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2017: Dana Point - Ohana Fest - Ed Solo
    2018: Seattle WA. 1 & 2 - Safeco
    2021: Dana Point - Ohana Fest 1st Weekend & Night 1 & 2 - Ed Solo,
    2022: Louisville, St Louis
  • My advice is... don't start :lol: It's a damn addiction.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    My advice is... don't start :lol: It's a damn addiction.

So true !
  • I'll add that when buying used, make sure the vinyl is in good shape (i.e. scratches/scuffing/marks are minimal), and always inspect both sides under a good light before buying. It can be tempting to think that a record in bad shape is worth getting just because it's really cheap, but if the surface noise is overpowering or it doesn't play through, you won't be able to enjoy it at all.
    This may seem like a no brainer, but it's still good to keep in mind ;)
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    just be patient...it's a process. i'm still 3 lp's shy from finishing my collection. but patience really does pay off as i've bought a lot of my PJ vinyl from people here on the boards for very reasonable prices. you can still buy the backspacer LP, VS reissue & Vitalogy reissue from the 10c & most stores...along w/ Live on Ten Legs. that's a pretty good start! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Definitely the best advice!!!!

Get a record player BEFORE getting the vinyl. I've been collecting vinyl for last 12 months and still haven't got round to buying a turntable :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    mfc2006 wrote:
    just be patient...it's a process. i'm still 3 lp's shy from finishing my collection. but patience really does pay off as i've bought a lot of my PJ vinyl from people here on the boards for very reasonable prices. you can still buy the backspacer LP, VS reissue & Vitalogy reissue from the 10c & most stores...along w/ Live on Ten Legs. that's a pretty good start! :)

If the reissues are what they're looking for, they're still available at Pop Market for $45 (use Facebook10 for an additional 10% off) and shipped free...

http://www.popmarket.com/features/25994353
  • i got a turn table for my bday back in january... still waiting to buy speakers so i can actually use it lol

any opinions on speakers? i don't want to drop a lot of money in to them, i'm just looking for something that sounds good that i can jam along to.
  • go to a flea market, get a bunch of stuff, spin it, care for it. see if you like listening to records. having to flip them over, carefully place them into their paper sleeves and so forth is not all its cracked up to be.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    Buy whats available in Goods first. Three albums under $20 - Ten reissue, Backspacer, and Live on Ten Legs. Couple singles available if interested. And if you want to drop $150, you can get the reissued Vs and Vitalogy. From there you can choose your own path, but generally it is hard to get sealed copies less than $20 so take advantage of their availability now.

Just started this journey myself when Ten was reissued. Managed to add in Uke songs, Into the Wild and Live of Two Legs. Hoping the band reissues all albums. May take a while - think marathon not sprint.

Good luck and happy hunting!
  • I don't collect vinyl but I thought I'd just say:
    Listen to it!
    It pains me to see people collect and not listen to vinyl when others could be enjoying it, listening to it, using it.

Music is meant to be heard! Not stored in plastic sleeves in boxes, gathering dust.
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Buy it, and SPIN IT!

Otherwise whats the point?
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    Mikee J wrote:
    Buy it, and SPIN IT!

True. I say the same thing to the philatelists I know. Why do you have all those stamps but you don't send any mail?!
  • Mikee J wrote:
    Buy it, and SPIN IT!

Records are meant to be spun, not hung.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    boyo79 wrote:

Definitely the best advice!!!!

Get a record player BEFORE getting the vinyl. I've been collecting vinyl for last 12 months and still haven't got round to buying a turntable :lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL same here.... I am torn betweend a Rega P1 and Project debut III atm. Im not sure if its worth investing so much money for something I will only play a couple times. How i am feeling but prob will play more in long run. Then theres the pre amp another $160. Then the cartridge... reviews i am going through keep saying to upgrade- another $50- $100.

I would love a simple $200 player that wont ruin my records and give me time to see if this is something i plan on doing over cd purchasing and keeping up over time.

I have started my PJ collection, picked up the who, the doors, and steve miller. I only want to get classic rock and PJ.

Cheers and happy collecting.
    Nami
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • go to a flea market, get a bunch of stuff, spin it, care for it. see if you like listening to records. having to flip them over, carefully place them into their paper sleeves and so forth is not all its cracked up to be.

I agree. I decided last year to stop buying vinyl and actually sold a lot of my PJ vinyl. I didn't listen to it, and I figured I could buy stuff that I actually use rather than buying vinyl to just sit there when I knew I wasn't the type of person who would really care about the sound difference between a CD and vinyl.

It can be an expensive endeavor to buy vinyl, especially when you may already own the CD.
  • Yeah, I started a few years back and I think a drug habit may have been cheaper. But I fuckin love every record I have!
    6/16/2008 Columbia, SC, 10/30/09-10/31/09 Philly, EV Solo 6/26/11 Detroit, 9/3/11-9/4/11 Alpine Valley, 9/30/2012 Missoula,MT 7/16/13 London, ON *****FIRST ROW****, 7/19/13 Chicago, IL, 10/30/13 Charlotte, NC. 4/21/2008 Columbia, SC, 5/2/2016 MSG2
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    edited October 2011
    I was lucky enough to get the white bacspacer on Friday, and now I'm Beginning my Collection. Just got ten, vs, and vitalogy reissues from pop market for 51 dollars. Good way to start if you ask me :D
    Post edited by sparky_fry on
  • My advice is to only buy off ebay etc if youre sure of what youre getting. An early poster mentioned mint first pressings - theyre extremely rare, and you will pay a premium - check out pearl jam sealed vinyl on ebays completed listings.

So the first thing to do is decide whether you want pristine records, or wax to spin, enjoy, and rough up a bit.

Im somewhere between the two, but wish I was in the latter group. Collecting mint records is a stressful buisness, theyre fragile things. Also, if someone tells you a record is mint it probably isnt, ask them to describe - any scratches, warping etc?

Ultimately though records are to be enjoyed, shouldnt Down be listened to on the flip of the I Am Mine or Bushleaguer 7s? Spin The Black Circle doesnt feel right listened to on a cd. And dont get me started on pre-cd releases, they should always be heard on vinyl.

Just dont be duped - paying 100 for No Code is all well and good, but if its scratched and scuffed good luck playing it OR reselling it. Id steer clear of ebay to begin with, http://www.discogs.com lists any artists entire discography ( including all the PJ boots) with all info on releases and also includes a marketplace. You can get Who You Are on 7" for $7.50, for instance. Also, most sellers are from Germany or the Netherlands, and as a rule their wax is in great condition.

Good luck!
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    you can also get 2004, 2008, 2009 Holidays singles from the Goods section & only pay for shipping on each...
    aqo2t.jpg
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Definitely start with what's available in Goods, Amazon. I also like What Records: http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/

I'm new too, started maybe a year ago and I have to say I've amassed quite a collection in that amount of time to the despair of my bank account. It might help to watch some stuff on eBay for a month or so to see what things go for before you jump into bidding.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    patience.
    don't overspend...eventually, you'll be able to own most of the LPs for reasonable prices. i took my time & own most of them (missing Binaural, Benny & LD) and i did not overspend. just be patient. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Don't buy a white Backspacer on ebay for $510.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    save your cash, as it is gonna cost you!

Start cheap, figure out if you even want to do it. Vinyl is not for everyone.

Don't be afraid to stockpile extras, never know when you will need them in a trade.

good luck!
  • I stated my collection a couple of years ago, around the time riot act and lost dogs were still in the goods section. Binaural was the hardest to get.(paid about 100) Right now is a good time to start because of the reissues.

As i own all the studio pearl jam albums i have been giving away the CD versions to friends who i think would appreciate and listen. Its fun and my friends are amazed when i tell them they can have them!

Ive started collecting Neil Young records which is a lot o fun as many are cheap. I have about 40 records all up now, some soundgarden, RHCP, bowie etc.

Advice: Its harder to get the records you want if you like music released in the time period from 1990 to somewhere around 2003. This is where a lot of my favorite releases are from and the vinyls are more expensive/dont exist, which is disappointing. Its easier to collect records from the 60s and 70s so if you want a big collection is nice to be able to enjoy a wide variety of music from around that time.

also purchase any new releases from bands you like on the release date! vinyls can cost the same price as a CD on the release date, and could cost 4x that amount a year later.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....